70 comments

Romance Friendship Fiction

This is the Philippines’ most romantic station, Radio Romance 101.9, where love comes to you in a melody. It’s been a lovely three hours, but I’ve got to go. Don’t worry, though, Caroline is next to take care of the music. This is Henry. Catch you tomorrow.

***

5 January 2024


Dearest Caroline,


Gawd, every single time I close my show with that familiar spiel, I just feel my heart drum right out of my chest.


The routine has been etched into my head like grooves on an LP. You would wave at me from behind the glass, your large cocoa eyes scintillating like mirror balls on a dance floor. Then, you would pirouette your way into the radio booth’s door and fill that soundproofed enclosure with the sweet fragrance of your white tea and ginger perfume. Of course, after that, you would shimmy your way towards me sitting behind the broadcast console and stretch your lithe arms to wrap around me. It would then be time for you to take over the controls and for me to walk over to the chartreuse couch across the dials and levers to chat with you in between your turns delivering your lines. Every weekday, this choreographed dance between two colleagues and best friends plays out between us; the high fives we exchange may as well be us two locked in a promenade position. Every weekday, the words inside of me jam up like a CD in a defective Discman. When you’re around, I just don’t know what to do, what to….


You know there’s a reason I had Ric Segreto’s ‘Don’t Know What to Say” as my last song today, the last little ditty before you took over the board. Am I too much of a hopeless romantic to vividly imagine that you’d hear the soulful vocals, break into that bright smile that deserves to be captured in a million ballads, slide your delicate hand in mine --- as if it were a fretboard, and give me a kiss? Ah, that probably only happens on MTV.


But perhaps, one day, my dreams of you would be on air with you, the only listener. For now, I guess I have to content myself in writing to you in the pages of my diary. Sigh!


Still not knowing what to say,

Henry

***

5 January 2024


Dearest Henry,


Why is it that every single time I take over from you and start my programme, a string quartet harmonises inside of me?


As soon as I arrive at the studios, everything just falls into place, as if I were following a script with cues on when to move. I would quietly approach the booth so that I could steal a glance at your shy smile as you lose yourself in the refrains blaring from the loudspeakers. Of course, my mouth stretches itself into a grin, like a stroke under two notes in legato, as I gesture hello to you. Just seeing you would then inject energy into my legs, and I end up practically dancing my way into the door and to you, seated. Gawd, being so close to you and smelling that fresh, piney scent of Irish Spring, I can’t help practically sealing you off with an embrace. As I take over the console, you would stride your way to the sofa and ask me in that voice that sounds like a rhapsody in my mind how I am and we’d converse between the spiels. Day in and day out, I’d be wrapped up in a mental tango with you, my eyes blazing with the affection I want to give you. Day in and day out, I ask myself how I can finally say to you that, yes…oh gosh!


When I told you that I was selecting the Lani Hall cover of the Cat Stevens classic “How Can I Tell You” to start my shift, your brilliant hazel eyes shone, you gave me a high five. Ugh! What would I have given for those muscular fingers of yours to intwine in mine, deftly sliding like you would on saxophone pads. Every single time I talk to you, the words I’ve kept for two years long to push out of my mouth, and then, at the very last minute, crash, it falls flat.


I hope, though, one day, it won’t end up to this very same thing, to chickening out. I guess for now, the chorus of angels shall only sing in the pages of my diary. One day, I swear.


Hoping for words to no longer blow away,

Caroline

***

14 February 2024


Dearest Caroline,


Today, I asked you to grab a coffee with me after your show. It’s a good thing you never noticed that my frayed nerves transformed my voice into a screechy falsetto or that Jack, our station manager, was looking at me with a smirk when I gave you that invitation. Thank goodness you said yes.


Gawd, you looked so stunning in that lavender maxi dress, your long, dark hair flowing down your back! It’s almost as if every note of Bread’s “Baby, I’m A Want You” piped in from the café’s sound system were written just for you. Well, apparently, the barista saw me mouthing out the lyrics of the soft rock classic as I was gawking at the radiance of you because as I was paying and you were looking for a table, she asked me if you were my girlfriend. Oh, I wish!


One day, I will pluck up the courage to let you know that it took so long to find you, and that I’m never letting go.


Wishing emotions won’t pass me by,

Henry

***

14 February 2024

Dearest Henry,


Today, you invited me to get some coffee after my board work. Oh my goodness! If you only noticed how I was pretty much plucking at my frock in nervousness as Jack was smirking at me from behind the glass and as I tried to keep my heart from melting into a puddle when you suggested a hang out, just you and me! Of course, I said yes. What other answer would there be?


Geez, all of me just wanted to admit to you how dashing I thought you looked in that seafoam green shirt, how it brought out the sparkle in those amber peepers of yours. I could have sworn that Sergio Mendes wrote the words for “Like A Lover”, that bossa nova track that permeated in café as you were opposite me, just for you. Well, apparently, the barista saw me daydreaming, imagining that I were the cerulean mug you pressed to your lips and breaking into a dopey little lip bite, because as I approached the counter to ask for some milk, she commented that you and I look good together. Argh! I know we do.


Oh, how I yearn to end these endless days and nights without you in my arms by finally confessing everything to you.


Dreaming to be the morning sun to you,

Caroline

***

3 May 2024

Dearest Caroline,


Wow! We just spent three hours on Facetime. I suppose time flies when you’re having fun. Musicals have nothing on the lilt of your laughter, the funny faces you pull as you bop along to the titles we play when we have a little tune war.


Ah, but do you have any idea that our entire conversation was soundtracked by The Police’s “Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic”? Oh yes, as I was taking in your beautiful, beaming face on my phone, Sting was singing at Volume Level 20. How could I not, Caroline, when I had it in the background to pump me up for, well, finally telling you how I feel?


Oh yes, asking you to video call with me was but a pretext to me finally spilling to you the dam of adoration I’ve been holding back for a long time now, the listed track that sounds different back masked, so to speak. Man, I had a plan. I even managed to ask you to describe your ideal man (which, of course, is a question that clashed around my head like an array of cymbals). I should have just told you then, taken it as my cue; for crying out loud, you even mentioned you wanted someone who you share a lot in common with. Alas, my silent fears gripped me, clawed my throat shut, and then, boom, you had to sleep.


Gawd, I have to do this soon. Must I always set myself up to be alone?


…but what if that’s not what you want? What if me unbosoming how I fancy you is dissonant to you seeing me only as a…oh no!


Mesmerised by the magic things you do,

Henry

***

3 May 2024

Dearest Henry,


Ah, those three hours we spent on Facetime is making me hear Debussy’s “Clair de Lune” everywhere. The tune war, you singing along to the tracks we’ve sent to battle – all of it was perfect…because you are, Henry.


Ha! It’s a good thing you didn’t hear Tammi Terrell’s “All I Do” droning on at the back as I stared at your grinning face from my phone. Oh, you know I’m the type of girl who would let Marvin Gaye’s duet partner belt out whilst those hazel eyes gleamed in laughter. Why? Well, Henry, I was actually reflecting…on letting the melody of my soul sing out to you and…declare to you what’s inside me.


Yes, when you asked if we could converse on video, that idea came upon me like a sudden hit of a snare. I even concocted a script in my head; I was supposed to fade into the subject of me romantically liking you. I don’t know why but when you asked me what I wanted in a partner, I felt myself shut down. How could I tell you that all I do is think about you without you thinking I was a nutjob? So, I just kept it in. Ugh!


But one day, I will discover if you feel like me, if this dream is for two.


…that is, if you’re okay with that. Oh gawd, what if the cadence of your heart is for someone else? What if to you, I’m only…no!


Feeling my soul a burning fire,

Caroline

***

14 July 2024


Dearest Caroline,


Tonight, you’re going out on a date. Someone else is taking your love, not me. Gah, if only I’d actually spilt the beans, never mind if my heart was beating in seven-eighths time. If only I’d held you all those times it was just you, me, and a song blasted from the speakers.


So, now, I have to content myself to listening to The Temptations’ “Just My Imagination” as you’re being wined and dined by such a lucky guy. Tomorrow, you will probably want to gush about him as I let my entire being transposes to a minor chord. Well, I guess I can pretend I have to go home early because of a stomach bug? I don’t know.


I suppose it’s time for me to face the music. Us being together will always be just in my deepest imaginings.


Forever letting my imagination run away from me,

Henry

***

15 July 2024

Dearest Henry,


Yesterday, I went out on a date…. but gosh, I wish it was you, that the lounge singer at the restaurant sang for us. If only I could have found the words, didn’t tremble at the sight of you, then…oh!


So, now, I only have Angela Bofill’s “You Should Know by Now” to play for myself. I couldn’t even get a minute with you after your show because your tummy is upset. How I long to say to you…




“Oh wait, Henry accidentally left something next to the broadcast console…. Oh, silly him, he left his notebook open….oh my goodness!”

***

This is the Philippines’ most romantic station, Radio Romance 101.9, where love comes to you in a melody. This is Gerry, sitting in for Henry today. Worry not, he and Caroline will be back next week after their romantic beach getaway to celebrate their anniversary. How sweet! Well, I know they’re listening right now via the internet, so why don’t we dedicate a song for the love birds. This is Minnie Riperton with “Lover and Friend” here on Radio Romance.



***

Author's Postscript: Because I am very extra as a person, I decided to create a Youtube playlist of all the songs mentioned in this piece. I'd have done a Spotify one, but I realise not everyone has an account there. Yep, that first song is a Filipino 80s song. Enjoy:


https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJwzWdzDuE_gPVHAQtnlEnxUpzOW0rIFj


July 15, 2024 14:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

70 comments

John K Adams
20:23 Aug 16, 2024

Alexis, this sweet story reminds me of a couple I know who met working at their college radio station. Everyone knew they were right for each other before they admitted it to themselves (or each other). They've been together for over seven years now. Your story captured that wish/want,.. Dare I? Dasn't I? chemistry so well. Great stuff.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
01:59 Aug 17, 2024

Hi, John ! Ooh, a real life example of this happening. Basically, I was inspired to write this because of my love for 70s music and the fact I have some radio DJ friends. Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
John K Adams
02:15 Aug 17, 2024

Of course, I'm not so scrupulous about reading everyone's stories as you, but I enjoy yours and will always comment when I get to them.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Seth Conner
01:00 Aug 10, 2024

I think it's so cool how you wrote the story through letters. I love doing things like that in my writing.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
01:29 Aug 10, 2024

Hi, Seth ! Yes, I'm a big fan of the epistolary format in my writing. I love how it really shows a character's emotions and thoughts. Thanks for reading the story !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lena Solomon
13:51 Jul 30, 2024

I loved your writing and love some of the songs and classical pieces you mentioned Lovely job

Reply

Alexis Araneta
13:55 Jul 30, 2024

Thank you, Lena ! I do love my 70s music. Hahahaha ! Thank you for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Justin Diaz
04:37 Jul 27, 2024

That was very nice to read, the diary format was very interesting way to tell the story of these two and how they used music titles to reference their feelings like a dj would since they hear those songs so often its burned into their brains. And that ending, I loved it.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
05:03 Jul 27, 2024

Hi. Justin ! I'm happy you liked the story. I'm quite a fan of the epistolary format, so I decided to use it in a story that's all about the feels. What can I say? I love my music, so I had fun using it here. Hahahaha ! Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Karen Hope
13:26 Jul 24, 2024

You take what could be a very classic romance and turn it upside down with your music references, humor and delightful use of language. I can tell you had fun with this and so did the reader!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
13:29 Jul 24, 2024

Hi, Karen ! Music is a huge part of my life. In fact, most people know me more as a bit of a music geek than a writer, so of course, I had to incorporate it. I really did have fun writing this. Thanks for reading. I'm happy you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Fern Everton
02:47 Jul 24, 2024

Aww, they’re too cute!! Absolutely love all the music references you made to show us their feelings— I’ll definitely be jumping on that playlist to get the full effect of the story! When Henry mentioned that Caroline was going on a date with someone else, I actually whispered “Oh no!” to myself. I suppose I was just bracing myself for heartbreak despite the happy ending, haha! Also, I absolutely love Jack and the barista being totally in on their little “secrets.” That would definitely be me in that sort of situation! Another lovely story, A...

Reply

Alexis Araneta
04:15 Jul 24, 2024

Thank you so much, Fern ! I'm so happy you liked the story. Well, I'm one to include my love of 70s music in my stories (LOTS of examples of that. Hahahaha !), but I decided to go full on geek with this. I'm happy it worked. Hahahahaha ! Of course, I had to make readers a little nervous by introducing another person interested in Caroline. I think I wouldn't be as obvious as Jack and the barista, though. Hahahaha !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
13:57 Jul 22, 2024

I'm honestly not big on romance, but I am absolutely in love with MUSIC! This story got me out of my comfort zone in that respect. The addition of the playlist was very cool as well. Excellent work👏🏿

Reply

Alexis Araneta
16:33 Jul 22, 2024

Hi, Josiah ! I happen to love both; I'm the type of romance author to inject my love of 70s music into my stories. Hahahaha ! I'm so happy you liked the story and the playlist ! Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
VJ Hamilton
21:03 Jul 21, 2024

Hi Alexis, you are definitely strong in the epistolary form! I especially liked these: "etched into my head like grooves on an LP" and "finally spilling to you the dam of adoration I’ve been holding back" Thanks for a great read!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
01:48 Jul 22, 2024

Hi, VJ ! I was actually worried that I've been using the epistolary format too much. My story for this week will use the same format. Hahahaha ! I'm happy you liked it, though. I'm glad you liked those lines. I had fun writing them. Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Martha Kowalski
15:17 Jul 21, 2024

Oh I always love aa good dual perspective <3 and such a romantic one at that!!! Of course, this was your intention, but the addition of the songs was an incredible touch - and I like how both Henry and Caroline focused on different ones. Super sweet!!!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
15:22 Jul 21, 2024

Thank you so much, Martha ! I had fun writing this. Like I mentioned in other comments, music is such a huge part of my life, so of course, I had to put music in. Glad you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Myranda Marie
21:09 Jul 20, 2024

Oh, Henry is such a romantic ! Another amazing story !

Reply

Alexis Araneta
00:24 Jul 21, 2024

Hi, Myranda ! Yes, he is... because the author that created him is one too. Hahaha ! Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Carol Stewart
16:43 Jul 20, 2024

Such a sweet one this, Alexis, and highly entertaining - so many music references! Like how the outsiders could tell how Henry and Caroline felt about each other as well. Nice idea the playlist. One of the new small journals I was published in did that for their inaugural issue.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
16:52 Jul 20, 2024

Thank you, Carol ! I'm a romantic at heart, what can I say. Hahahaha ! I had to include the music since it's such a huge part of my life. I'm so very happy you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
16:24 Jul 20, 2024

I love the idea of the story being set against the backdrop of a playlist. I’ll definitely check out some of the songs. I like the way you skilfully hold back saying what the problem is. Each one fears the other only sees them as a friend. The stuff nightmares are made of! Relieved it ended the way it did. You captured the emotions well.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
16:32 Jul 20, 2024

Hi, Helen ! I'm so happy you liked the story! Like I mentioned in other comments, music is such a huge part of my life, so this idea came to me. Indeed, it's torture being in love with a friend and thinking they only see you platonically. Sometimes, though, the risk of confessing pays off ;) Glad you liked it ! Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
J. Rain Sherwin
16:04 Jul 20, 2024

Wow! This is a tour de force, saturated to its core with music. A very fun read. I liked their choreographed dance together in the studio, especially Henry's diary version of it. Great work.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
16:14 Jul 20, 2024

Hey !! Thank you so much for reading. Like I mentioned in previous comments, I grew up listening to a lot of 70s music, so when the opportunity came for me to write a story with a soundtrack, I had to do it. Hahahaha ! I'm so happy you liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Linda Kenah
20:26 Jul 19, 2024

I loved this, Alexis. Made me smile the entire way. You used the songs and their diaries to perfection! I believe this is from Shakespeare: "If music be the food of love, play on."

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:16 Jul 20, 2024

Thank you, Linda ! I'm happy you liked the treatment. And yes, I do agree with the Shakespeare quote.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kay Smith
19:27 Jul 19, 2024

I loved this romantic little story and how you weaved their love of music into their love for one another. The only thing I'd look at is the repetition of some words. It would help to give the characters their own ' voice?' I loved: "... like grooves on an LP... like a CD in a defective Discman...MTV" You antiquarian, you! :) I'm an 80s and 90s kid, loved those references!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:14 Jul 20, 2024

Hi, Kay ! Music (especially 50s to 80s quiet storm and soft rock) is such a huge part of my life, so of course, I had to incorporate it. Actually, the repetition of words was deliberate. I meant for it to showcase how alike Henry and Caroline were and especially how they were in sync with their romantic feelings for each other. I suppose that didn't work. Hahahaha ! I also was a 90s kid (born in 1988), so yes, a bit of those too ! Thanks for reading, Kay !

Reply

Kay Smith
02:24 Jul 20, 2024

AHA! Cool! I loved this story of will they, or won't they...! Born in '78 here!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jim LaFleur
16:13 Jul 19, 2024

I absolutely loved your story! The way you intertwined music and romance was incredibly creative and heartwarming. The diary format added such a personal touch, and the ending was just perfect.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
16:46 Jul 19, 2024

I'm so very happy you liked it, Jim ! I do consider myself a bit of a music geek, so of course, I included some songs. Happy you liked the format too. Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kim Olson
11:26 Jul 19, 2024

What a fun read and thanks for sharing the songs!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
12:07 Jul 19, 2024

Thank you so much, Kim ! I'm happy you liked the story and the music !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
10:50 Jul 19, 2024

I felt for these two. Such torture they both went through. Hopefully resolved by a mislaid diary being picked up by the right person. Not like the famous song by Bread, 'Diary,' where the diary found is meant for someone else. Lovely imaginative story, in line with the prompt. I would have chosen this prompt if I'd found the time to write.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
12:07 Jul 19, 2024

Hi, Kaitlyn ! I immediately thought of a "friends in love but afraid to confess their feelings" situation when I saw the prompt. Indeed, it was torturous. Thank goodness for Henry's forgetfulness. Funny thing is "Diary" was part of my inspiration for my story before this "Focused on You". I just went to the creepy side for that. Hahahaha ! Thank you for reading, as per usual !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
05:15 Jul 19, 2024

Love the format, and all the songs ;) ! ! Thanks!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
05:24 Jul 19, 2024

Thank you so much, Marty ! I'm happy the format worked for you. And yes, as someone with a song constantly playing in my head, I had to do this. Hahahaha !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aidan Romo
18:38 Jul 18, 2024

Really keeps you on the edge of your seat until the sweet ending! Great character work and build of romance without specific scene interaction! :) Your passion for this genre really shines in all the stories I've read of yours!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
01:30 Jul 19, 2024

Hi, Aidan ! I'm glad I was able to build the tension until the end. I was worried that by, essentially, building on only four scenes but in shifting POVs, there wouldn't be enough emotional pull. I'm happy it worked, though. I do love writing romance ! It's always fun for me. I guess it's just because I'm an unapologetic romantic in real life. Hahahaha ! Thanks for reading !

Reply

Aidan Romo
21:49 Jul 19, 2024

Of course! The fun you have with it really shows in your elegant writing!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:17 Jul 20, 2024

Aww ! Elegant ! Thank you !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.