4 comments

Teens & Young Adult Sad Romance

Scanning the small cafe, I smiled as I spotted a familiar face. 

"I'm late," he sighed. 

"It's okay, David."

After the first few tutor sessions, I questioned him about his tardiness.

"I am so sorry! I am late again," He complained.

He had started taking care of his grandmother almost every day, as she had started declining in health.

First, losing range of motion, then her strength to walk independently.

In the beginning, it was only going to her home to tidy up and keep her company for a few hours. 

As she began to lose her strength to walk, he had started cooking her meals before he left, as she was incapable of doing so herself.

Even if he could afford it, he refused to put her in assisted living. David was her only relative, as nobody else cared to stick around. 

After he had informed me of his grandmother, I decided I would work with him to create a schedule that worked for the two of them. Keeping discussion about his situation to a minimum as it only seemed to produce more distress.

I had reassured him though; family comes first and foremost.

Every day after school, he would take care of his grandmother. Heading to work directly after, to have extra money to support her. From there, he would go home to do coursework, emailing me any questions or concerns.

Friday evenings, after coming from his grandmother's, David and I would have our tutor session. It was the only day a week where we could have an actual tutor session, rather than through emails.

After months of the same routine, he had started opening up more about his grandmother.

Lucy was the grand old age of 82, a nurse in her younger days while her husband was off fighting in a war. She had become pregnant with her only child, David's father, once he returned.

We began to grow close after those few months, relying on each other for emotional support. It was nothing more than reaching out when you weren't okay. Or was it more?

"Let's take a break," I yawned.

David stretched his arms above his head, "How about a quick walk?"

In the small park across from the cafe, I was watching the birds fight for a french fry when David quietly reached for my hand.

His eyes were steadily trained on the birds, too nervous to look my way.

I squeezed his hand once, to which he squeezed back twice.

Silently, we walked back to the cafe, hand in hand.

From that Friday onward, we walked hand in hand through the park for a study break.

Although Friday evenings were the only time we were capable of seeing each other due to clashing schedules, we grew close. We even started dating.

On some days, I would join him in taking care of his grandmother.

“Please wait outside,” David urged.

“Of course,” I obliged.

He went inside, “Grandma, I brought a visitor.”

A frail, aged woman propped up on a couch with a plethora of pillows and blankets greeted me with a heartwarming smile.

“Grandma Lucy, meet my friend,” he introduced.

After a few short introductions, she began telling stories about her grandson.

“David is such a wonderful boy,” She affirmed. “Even as a small child, he wanted to take care of me.”

“Now, now grandma,” He joked.

“Even when I did not need the help, there he was, ‘Sit down gramma, I’ll get it!’ He’d always say. Shoot, he even yells at me for reaching for the remote control!”

She began to laugh but quickly fell into a coughing fit.

I reached for the glass of water, ready for her to drink when her coughing ceased.

“Where did you find such a considerate, young lady, David?”

David looked to the floor, embarrassed by Lucy’s question.

“We actually met at school,” I offered.

“She was supposed to tutor me in arithmetic, but I was late... A lot."

I reached across the coffee table and gripped his hand, giving a squeeze.

Smiling quietly as he squeezed back twice.

Despite him being late to our weekly sessions, who was I to complain? 

I couldn’t have asked for anyone else to be my boyfriend.

It was an honorable thing he was doing; very few teenagers would take full responsibility for their grandmother. 

Grown adults would not even do such things!

Attend school full time, assisting their elder daily, take up a job for money that was not even benefiting them, personally. On top of all that, get a tutor to ensure you are keeping up with your studies.

Once it was time for college applications, we determined it was best to attend a local school; Lucy's health was on the decline once more.

I had taken up a job at a book store to help ensure that Lucy had lived out her final days the happiest she could be.

We saved up for a small car to get Lucy to and from her appointments as public transportation was out of the question.

Every week we would put our earned income together, splitting it into sections; car funds, medical bills, rent, groceries, and a few extra scarce dollars.

It did not matter if one of us earned more cash than the other that week, the money was always put forth, to be split, accordingly. 

The leisure money was almost always, spent on Lucy, as well. 

We would bring her for day trips as often as possible.

Sometimes, it was ice cream dates and picnics in the park. 

Other's it was trips to the butterfly museums. 

"My hubby used to take me to see the butterflies," She spoke fondly.

She loved telling us stories of her younger years, she was quite the rebel.

Her mother always insisted, "Do not date that boy, Lucille!"

But off she went, following her heart. 

She spoke fondly of her mother who had passed away in her late thirties.

"Even though she did not support my decision to marry young," she reminisced.

"She helped raise David's father, once Arthur returned to the war."

David didn't have a chance to meet his grandfather, Arthur. He had gotten fatally wounded, oversees.

The only memories David had of him were old letters, photographs, and a folded American flag. She never remarried or had another boyfriend.

"I guess she was right," She whispered. 

"In the end, he did break my heart," her voice broke.

Just a few short days later, Lucy had passed away peacefully in her sleep.

I sat next to David on the couch, rubbing soothing circles on his back.

"She's with her husband," I comforted.

"She's been waiting many years to see him," He sighed.

"Just think baby, she's no longer suffering and she's in a better place. She's finally rejoiced with her mother and husband."

He hugged me, a single tear escaping his eye, "Thank you for everything. I truly don't know I got so lucky..."

I hugged him tightly as he began to cry even harder. My heart broke for him, his grandmother was everything to him. 

"I'll always be here," I shushed him. "I'd do it all over again if I had to. No hesitation."

July 10, 2020 20:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Philip Baker
14:50 Jul 16, 2020

A very nice and sweet story and it was very creative to add the Grandmother as one of the main ingredients of it. My only note would be that I would like to see some correlation of the basic theme of 'being late' with the Grandmother story as in the way it is now they are actually quite irrelevant. Maybe the Grondmother was also quite late as well and if it wasn't for the Grandfather to wait for her for a few hours they wouldn't have get together. Or any sort of correlation that would relate these two pieces. But still, I really liked the st...

Reply

J.S Cross
22:53 Jul 16, 2020

Thank you so much! Yeah, in hindsight there are a few things I would've liked to change!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Vinci Lam
20:17 Jul 14, 2020

This is probably the most beautiful story I've seen so far with this prompt. Good job!

Reply

J.S Cross
06:48 Jul 15, 2020

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.