0 comments

Fantasy

Thump! Thump! The once silent noises only seemed to get louder and louder, completely pulling her from sleep. She shot out of bed, heart racing and sweat covering her forehead. She heard the noise again, this time louder. “Nikolas.” She called to the man beside her. “Nikolas.” She tried again but her ignored her for the second time, she gave him a little shove. “Nicholas!” 

Finally, his eyes shot open. Slowly, he sat up, yawning as he looked around the room. The moon illuminated through the glass window to the left of the room, creating another a shimmer on the ceiling as it reflected on the watch

He spent the entire night watching over her as she slept and went to bed only a few minutes ago. If not for anything, he was as exhausted as she. He stretched his neck to the clock on his left: 3:17am. Running his hands over his face, he said, “Lara, it’s, 3 in the morning. Whatever you...” 

Hush!” She cut him off. She wasn’t crazy. She heard the noise again. Her head snapped in his direction with fear dominating her expression: from the way she grabbed his bicep, to the expression drawn on her face. It sounded once more, this time, accompanied with a knock.... 

“What the...” Nikolas murmured. Now he was completely awake. The two faced each other and quick enough, the girl started sobbing, shaking, even, as she cried, “They’ve come for me.” 

“Lara, calm down.”  

All she from him were mumbles. She knew what it was, and could not calm down about. The fear she felt rippled deep within, causing her to shake as she rocked herself back and forth, thighs to chest in a sitting position. “They’ve come for me.” She continued whispering.  

“Lara, relax.”  

She shook her head. “No. They’re here and they’re going to take me away. Kill me. Just like they did mo...” 

“Lara!” Nikolas grabbed her arms firm enough to shake her out of her trance. It was only after she looked up, did she notice his change in position. He sat before her. “You don’t understand.” She sobbed. 

“Listen to me. No one’s coming to get you.” He started. “I’m sure the guys from the other side are making all that noise.” 

She shook her head. What she heard sounded distant and somewhat...cynical? Nikolas jumped out the bed and put on his shirt. “Where are you going?” She inquired. He sighed. “I’m going to check out why they are making all that noise.” 

“The noise is not them.” 

“Well whatever it may be, I have to check it out.” He replied.  

Lara watched him put on his shoes. Was he going to leave her alone? “I’m coming with you.” She jumped off the bed and began searching for her sneakers. “No, you’re not.”  

She glanced at him through her lashes. “Yes, I am.” She said. “You’re not leaving me here by myself.”  

Nikolas huffed tiredly. The girl was as stubborn as her brother, even worse than he if he had to be completely honest but it was too late in the night to trail along with her. It would be a waste of time to go with her only to tell a bunch of possibly drunk guys to quiet down a bit and besides, she needed the rest. That was his plan: out and back in! 

“You're not alone. The others are downstairs.” He pointed out. She stood on her feet ready to argue but he cut her off, saying: “Please, Lara. Just wait for me here.” 

They stared at each other for a while before she nodded, giving him the pass to leave her alone. She listened as his footsteps disappeared deeper into the hallway then down the stairs.  

“THUMP!” Her head snapped to the door. Nikolas left it open on his way out, exposing her mind to the horrors they created themselves of heavens knows what. No! She would not be left alone in the room. Without another second passing by, she snatched the golden analogue from where it sat on the stool and cautiously made her way out. 

Nikolas owned a three-story mansion and she slept on the second floor. The noise seemed to come from the third floor. The noise sounded once more. That was her proof it wasn’t coming from outside. 

“Lara?”  

She clutched her chest for comfort as the scare took her breath away in the most painful way. “Amberly!” She exclaimed. “What the heck! Why did you scare me like that?” 

The blond approached her. “Did you hear the noise?” She questioned. If not for anything, she appeared to be frightened. Lara nodded. “I think it’s coming from upstairs.” 

“I thought as much.” She agreed.  

“I’m going to check it out.”  

Amberly's face scrunched. “I don’t think it’s a clever idea.” She insinuated. “We should wait for the guys to get back. It’s probably...” Before the words could escape her throat, there was a loud clash and the lights went out. The two shivered as an eerie feeling colonized their surroundings: shadows of the objects from the outside made their way inside onto the floor.  

Lara scrambled for her phone and turned on the flashlight. They sent a silent communication to themselves to carry on their mission. The noise seemed to get farther the closer they got.  

“It’s not from this floor.” Amberly pointed out.  

Lara pointed her flashlight around. She was certain the noise was coming from the house: somewhere, anywhere.  “The storage at the top.” 

Amberly scrunched her brows in opposition. “Lara the lights are out and only heavens knows how messy it’ll be over there. Whatever it is, we should wait for the guys to get back.” No sooner did the words come out her mouth did they start hearing:  

Sicut nox appropinquat, veniunt ad sempiternum daemonum futurum ludere... 

velocitate currere possit... 

Lara recognized the language: Latin. “This is crazy.” Amberly stated. “I’m going to get Kevin.” She turned on her own flashlight and run downstairs.  

Veni ad me, Lara... 

Veni ad me... 

Ad quam me mea... 

If she thought she was frightened before, what she was experiencing totally takes the cake. With a mind of their own, her legs strutted up the stairs, to the storage compartment. It consisted of only to rooms. She currently faced one of them. She stretched forth her hand to the knob, gave a little twist here and there but it refused to open.  

Ad quam me mea... 

The shiver which took over her body made her feel dizzy. She heard the only other door swing open from behind, giving way light which refused to stay on longer than two seconds. On and off, she saw its consistent reflection against the wall she faced.  

“Veni ad me!” 

She heard once more, this time directly in her ear. Her body spin almost painfully to the other door: the attic. She heard shuffling from downstairs but what was before her had all her attention. The once flickering light went out longer than before but came back almost blinding, this time not going off.  

At this point it was wiser to run back but she couldn’t. Mindlessly, she approached it.  

Something was burning the side of her hip. She tried to ignore the sting, but it would only get worse. Sticking her hand in her pocket, she brought out the clock. Its gold coatings shimmered and for the first time, its hands started to move.  

She stopped in front of the room, trying her hardest to see whatever was calling. The arm in which she held the watch raised itself, towards the light.  

“Lara!” Nikolas’ voice boomed from afar. “Lara, get away from that thing!”  

“Quod iustum est, Lara. Redde mihi quod meum est.” Boomed the more dominant voice. The light dimmed, enough for her poor eyes to finally adjust and see the room’s contents. What she saw took her breath away. Before her very eyes was an opening, centered between two somewhat gothic designed wooden walls. Only the opening offered illumination but as the second passes, she would be able to identify a trace of a clock, floating in the hole.  

“... Quod est hoc unum gradum …" 

The voice continued to taunt, and she decided to obey the command to take one more step, Nikolas reached out to pull her back. Unfortunately, his fingers barely reached her shirt as she was shoved into the room, and the door shut close.  

“Lara!” He yelled, using all his might to force it open.  

“What happened!” Kevin asked. He appeared with Lucas, and Michael.  

“She was sucked in.” He gasped. “Lucas, run to the lab. There’s a control panel sitting on the wall, first thing you’ll see when you walk in, push the green button to turn on the lights!” He instructed. Lucas nodded and complied.  

A secret conversation was held when his gaze travelled to Michael. The six-foot man nodded and run into the darkness.  

“What the heck was that?” Kevin questioned. He gave the knob a few more twists before responding, “I have no idea, but she shouldn’t be there any longer.” He turned his focus back to the door.  

Kevin clenched his jaw before speaking: “Nik, dude. Hold on a second.” He waited for him to face him before adding. “You have to admit it now. The girl is too much trouble.” 

“Are you really trying to have this conversation right now?” He inquired. “She’s stuck in there with heaven knows what.” 

“To hell with that!” He cussed. “We both know what was in there. The clock created.”  

“Kevin...” 

“We need to get rid of her before she gets rid of all of us. She’s better of...” 

“SHUT UP!” Lucas exclaimed. “Her brother sacrificed his life for us! Doesn’t that mean anything to you?” The two held each other’s gaze in the dimly lit room, jaws clenched and ready to express each other’s masculinity there and there but before wither could make a move, a blood curling scream was heard from inside.  

“LARA!” Nikolas turned his attention back to the door, this time pounding his body against it. Kevin watched. “What the heck!” He sighed internally. He would hold his ground no matter what that she was more trouble than they could ever bargain for. He wanted her gone but he at last, his conscience wouldn’t let him just stand there without helping. He joined his friend in his effort to open the door.  

“Don’t you have a spare key to this thing.” Kevin grunted.  

“It locks...from...the inside.” He answered. “Okay. One more time. On three.”  

Kevin nodded. “One...two...three!” The two slammed their bodies against the door but this time, they were allowed in. Just as the fell onto the ground, the lights came on.  

Nikolas scrambled back onto his feet and run to Lara, who seemed lifeless where she lay. 

“There’s nothing in here.” Kevin pointed out.  

“Now’s not the time.”  

“I’m just saying.” He persisted. “I was expecting at least a shattered window. In fact, at this point I think she’s...” 

The vigorous vibration under them cut his words. “What the...” he said instead. He shared a gaze with 

Without hesitation, Nikolas carried Lara out the attic and into her room. Amberly run in after them with a wet towel in her hand.  

“She’s burning up!” Nikolas pointed. She had a degree in nursing, so he hoped for some sort of “miracle” from her. She run to her side and placed her forehead. “Ouch!” she screeched when she felt a burning sensation when their skin touched. She jumped and bit and said: “She’s hot as hell.”  

“What?”  

She tried again but this time she was met a normal temperature. She noticed some movement and before long, her eyes opened as she greedily sucked in air.  

“LARA!” Nik rushed to her side and handed her a glass of water. After gulping it down.  

“Don’t!” He tried stopping her when she attempted to stand up. “You need to lay down.” He added but she wasn’t having it.  

“Nikolas can I speak to you.” said Amberly. “...in private.”  

He spared her one more glance before walking to the door with Amberly. “Her body healed itself.” Nik raised a brow in confusion. “It went from burning hot to normal, then she woke up.” she began, “Not only that, when I was up her, we heard someone talk and it wasn’t English.” 

“What was it?” 

“Lattin.” Lara responded. “I told you, they’ve come for me.” She took out the clock before continuing. “Sicut nox appropinquat, veniunt ad sempiternum daemonum futurum ludere... As the night draws closer, the demons will come out to play.” Those where the words from the portal.  

“A portal has been opened these demons have escaped.” 

“That doesn’t make sense.” came Amberly.  

“Yes, it does.” Michael confirmed. He stood at Nik’s left. “The security cameras caught it. The LTD caught deadly radiations from two areas: the attic and goodness knows where else.” 

“That doesn’t mean creatures crawled out.” said Amberly, “I’m sure we’ll be fine.” 

“Portals don’t open for shits and giggles, Amber.” He replied. “What do you think caused the “vibration”?”  

Lara stood and walked to the window. The cold feeling which blanketed her she was locked in the attic refused to disappear. Only she knew what happened in there. She would share but would they believe? “It’s the chip in the clock.” She started. “Someone reopened the portal and now they want, no, need the chip.” 

“If it’s the stupid clock, we’ll give it to them! It doesn’t work any.” Nik blurted.  

She scoffed. That’s what he thought. “You don’t get it do you? This...” she raised the clock, “...is only a symbol. The “clock” is whatever can go through the different portals of time. The “clock” is almost like a timestamp, showing a sequence for encoded information.” She looked around to make sure they were paying attention before continuing.  

“Then there’s the chip. It holds all the information and power. Almost like a motherboard, it drives the clock.” 

“Lara, where are you going with this?” Nik asked. 

“Clock...” She referred to her body then pointed to the left side of her temple as she said, “...chip.” 

 

April 25, 2020 03:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.