The window to death

Submitted into Contest #97 in response to: Write a story in which a window is broken or found broken.... view prompt

0 comments

Thriller

Patricka had hust moved towards the countryside to her new home with her parents and one elder brother. She was a timid type of girl, always day dreaming about her passion-Dance. She was loving her new house, actually you can say it was a mansion beautifully decorated. Her favourite place was the window of her room. She had just got a beautiful mushroom shaped night-lamp for her study table which she had just placed near her window. She sat there and imagined herself dancing to the hip-hop tunes. She also was a great artist, as in sketching was her forte. She always sketched herself dancing new steps. It was the winter if Christmas when Patricka one night was busy reading a novel of Nancy Drew. She was so engrossed that hardly did she notice that the clock had struck 2. Suddenly she started feeling cold. An eerie wind blew her hair, she just couldn't understand what's going on. And then what she saw left her flabbergasted. Just on the opposite side of her house she saw a broken window. When she tried to pay more heed she just fainted. Next morning she could only recollect a few foggy scenes which she tried to believe was a nightmare she saw. The entire day she got flashes of what she had seen last night. Could there be a real monster, so scary having blood-red eyes? She was wandering around in her garden when she heard sobbing sounds from nearby house. She knew the family, Mrs. Wilson and her 2 children. But what was the reason of Mrs. Wilson's grief? And why had Mr. Wilson never been seen? Suddenly Patricka started getting that cold eerie feeling again. Her head got heavy feeling like a pile of stones had been loaded on her head. And just then she felt as if someone just swayed away from her side. She ran towards her house and locked herself in her room. Suddenly her favourite place had turned scary. She just slipped into her blanket and slept the whole day, and only got up at the sound of banging if her door and her mom shouting her name. She quickly leapt out of her bed and opened the door. She saw her teary-eyed mom who had got apprehensive on not seeing her the entire day. Her mom just hugged her tightly and then Patricka felt her fear venting out. Truly said Moms know when even we don't know! That night Patricka dared not to sit near the window and asked her mom to let her sleep with her. Her mom happily agreed, but somewhere in her heart she felt something was not right. Next morning Patricka felt afresh and tried to forget about last two days and gradually she overcame her fear. She laughed at herself thinking how could she be so skeptical. Just then she heard voices of giggles and hearty laughs. She jumped out in excitement because she knew these were the voices of her aunt and her cousins Max and Marley. Patricka had always been close to them and kept any secret from them. She met her cousins and forgot all the blues. That night she and Max and Marley decided to take a walk in the surrounding of their new house. They were merrily hopping and running when suddenly without realising they reached to the opposite of their house. And then that broken window caught Patricka's eyes. She was dumbfounded. Strange noises started cracking through their ears. Max and Marley were trying to keep their calm but it did not take long for them to realise that something was wrong. Max had always been the hold types and fortunately was not as terrified as the other two. They tried to escape the place but then what happened just left them stationary. A monstrous face! They suddenly were glued to the place they were standing. They wanted to run, but their minds were transfixed. They wanted to scream, but their vocal cords didn't support them. They gave up all the hopes of ever meeting their parents again. That window just captured them and the next moment they found themselves in a dark cave. Suddenly they all started crying their hearts out, when suddenly a man appeared in front of them. Who was he? Patricka felt she had seen him somewhere, but where? Just then her watsupp notification turned on and there she knew who he was when she saw Mrs. Wilson's profile picture. Yes, he was Mr. Wilson! He had been trapped in that window an year ago and since then nobody knew about his whereabouts. But why didn't he come back? Because once you enter that window, you are gone forever. Yes, that window was evil, it trapped people and left them immovable and speechless. The monster staying there didn't harm anyone. He just didn't want to be alone and so he did all this. But this time it was Patricka, who was a religious girl at heart and believed in God. She now knew she had to be bold and only could be saved by prayers. On the other hand, Mr. Wilson had tried all these months to come out of that hell, but had not been able to move even by an inch. Patricka closed her eyes and started praying with all her faith. And then Max, Marley and Mr. Wilson followed. Suddenly they felt a cold wind and the broken window cracked into pieces. All four of them started feeling at ease and tried to get up and lo! They had got their movements back and ran out of that window. By the time they reached their house, it was 6 in the morning. The entire night was a sleepless one for Patricka's mom and aunt. But finally when they saw the children they heaved a sigh of relief. And the icing on the cake was return of Mr. Wilson fir his family. There were a hundreds of questions hovering around him by his wife but all he could say was I don't know! I believe he also wanted to forget that one year as a nightmare!

June 04, 2021 21:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.