Robbery at the Annal Christmas Party

Submitted into Contest #178 in response to: Set your story at a work holiday party,... view prompt

2 comments

Christmas Thriller Contemporary

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

It was the annual work holiday party, and everyone was in high spirits. Maria, a young woman in her mid-20s with long, dark hair and brown eyes, was enjoying the festivities with her coworkers. She was slender and athletic, with a quick and decisive manner. As an administrative assistant at the company, she was known for her intelligence and resourcefulness.

The office had rented out a fancy event space, complete with twinkling lights, festive decorations, and a spacious dance floor. A lavish buffet spread was set up on one side of the room, with an array of savory appetizers and decadent desserts. A DJ, a young man with a mop of curly hair and a friendly face, was spinning a mix of holiday hits and popular dance tunes, and an open bar offered a wide selection of drinks.

As the night wore on, more and more people got up and started dancing. Some were more graceful than others, but everyone was having a good time. No one noticed the three figures sneaking into the room from a side door. They were dressed in all black, with their faces covered by masks and baseball caps pulled low over their eyes.

The tallest of the trio, a man with broad shoulders and a muscular build, approached the DJ and held a gun to his head. "Turn off the music and get everyone's attention," he growled in a low voice.

The DJ froze in terror. He quickly complied, shutting off the music and raising his hands in the air. The room fell silent as the man strode to the center of the dance floor, flanked by his accomplices.

"Listen up, everyone," he said, his voice muffled by the mask. "This is a robbery. Hand over your wallets and jewelry, and nobody gets hurt."

Panic rippled through the crowd as people realized what was happening. Some tried to run for the door, but the other two robbers, shorter and slimmer men who looked equally menacing with their masks and guns, were blocking the exit, waving their weapons threateningly.

Maria's heart raced as she took in the scene. She had always been a bit of a worrier, but she had also always been determined and resourceful. She knew that she had to do something to help her coworkers and get everyone out of this dangerous situation.

She remembered the self-defense techniques she had learned in her class a few months earlier. One of them involved disarming someone with a gun. It was risky, but she also knew that it was their best chance.

Without thinking, Maria stepped forward and grabbed the arm of the robber closest to her. She twisted it and wrenched the gun out of his hand.

The other robbers were caught off guard, and before they could react, Maria had aimed the gun at them. "Drop your weapons," she commanded in a firm voice.

The robbers hesitated for a moment, glancing at each other uncertainly. Then, slowly, they lowered their guns to the ground. Maria motioned to the security guard, a middle-aged man with a stern expression and a no-nonsense attitude, to call the police.

As the security guard fumbled for his phone, the leader of the robbers, the tall and muscular man who had spoken earlier, lunged for Maria, trying to grab the gun from her. She managed to keep a grip on it, but he was much stronger and more experienced than she was. They struggled for a moment, the gun bouncing between them as they fought for control.

Suddenly, a shot rang out, echoing through the room. Everyone gasped and froze, unsure of what had happened.

Maria's heart was pounding in her chest as she realized that the gun had gone off. She looked at the leader of the robbers, expecting to see a look of rage or pain on his face. Instead, he was slumped on the ground, a pool of blood spreading out from his chest.

She had shot him.

The other two robbers, realizing that their leader was down, immediately fled the room. The security guard finally managed to call the police, and they arrived a few minutes later to take the wounded robber into custody.

The partygoers were in a state of shock as the police arrived to take control of the situation. They all crowded around Maria, thanking her for her bravery and asking her how she had managed to disarm the robbers and shoot one of them.

Maria was still trying to process what had happened. She had never fired a gun before, and she had never imagined that she would be in a situation like this. She felt a mix of relief and horror as she realized that she had saved everyone's lives, but at the cost of another person's.

The police questioned everyone at the party, and Maria gave a detailed account of what had happened. She was hailed as a hero, and the news of the thwarted robbery and her bravery spread quickly through the media.

The company's CEO, a sleek and stylish woman named Sophia, personally thanked Maria for her bravery and offered her a promotion on the spot. Maria was overwhelmed and couldn't believe what was happening.

As the partygoers dispersed and headed home, Maria couldn't stop thinking about the events of the evening. She had always considered herself to be a fairly ordinary person, but tonight she had proven that she was capable of so much more.

She decided to accept Sophia's offer and use the opportunity to advance her career. She also made a mental note to take more self-defense classes, just in case anything like this ever happened again.

The following day, the news of the thwarted robbery at the company holiday party made headlines, and Maria became something of a local celebrity. She was interviewed by several news outlets and even appeared on a few talk shows.

Despite all the attention, Maria remained humble and down-to-earth. She was just glad that she had been able to help keep her coworkers safe and prevent the robbers from getting away with their crimes.

The holiday party had undoubtedly been one to remember, and Maria knew it was an experience she would never forget.

As the weeks passed, life returned to normal for Maria and her coworkers. The holiday season was a busy time for the company, with a backlog of work to be completed before the end of the year.

Maria worked hard and applied herself to her new role, determined to make the most of her opportunity. She was grateful for the promotion and the chance to prove herself and was determined to succeed.

She also made time to continue her self-defense training, knowing it was an important skill. She had learned the hard way that you never knew what might happen, and it was always best to be prepared.

The company holiday party became something of a legend within the office, with everyone recalling their version of the events of the evening. Some people embellished the story, adding their flourishes and exaggerations, but Maria remained modest about her role in the ordeal.

She was content to let others take the spotlight, focusing instead on her work and personal growth. She knew that she had done what she needed to do, and that was enough for her.

As the years passed, Maria rose through the company ranks, becoming one of its most valued and respected employees. She never forgot the events of that fateful holiday party and remained grateful for the lessons it had taught her.

Maria knew that she was capable of more than she had ever imagined, and she was determined to make the most of her talents and opportunities. She was living proof that ordinary people could do extraordinary things and that sometimes, in the darkest of times, heroes could be found in the most unexpected places.

The end.

December 23, 2022 19:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Delbert Griffith
16:27 Dec 31, 2022

Christmas and gunshots. What could be better? LOL Fun story, Dilbert.

Reply

Show 0 replies
AnneMarie Miles
06:36 Jan 03, 2023

It's sad that this is becoming a more common possibility these days; let's hope there's a Maria there when we need one. I appreciated the conciseness of this story, as the thrill of a robbery is exciting enough. Well done.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.