2 comments

Christmas Fiction Kids

Its almost Christmas?! Goodness. It just feels like yesterday it was the first day of summer. I have grown in many ways, and also learned many things. I hope you enjoy 'Dance the Christmas night away'.

"You ready Maya?" The producer asked, keeping her eyes glued on her clip board.

I sighed and nodded.

"Sorry?" She asked.

"Yes, I'm ready. Sorry." I added, looking at myself in the mirror.

I didn't look like me. My hair was yanked back in a bun, polished, and my face had a million pounds of makeup piled on. To complete the look, we had to wear a purple dress with sparkles. So itchy. I had to do this for my sister, but this tour was going over the holidays. I wanted to go home and spend time with our mom, who had cancer. My sisters job, wanted something different.

"Okay, come on. We have to start shooting." She said, getting out of the trailer. I took a deep breath and got up off my chair and followed her.

After a long filming session, I was finally free to get out of these itchy clothes and into my sweatpants. On my way back from the film, I ran into my sister, Kaia, who looked way prettier in our assigned clothes. She was hugging and laughing with the other dancers.

"You did amazing!" One of them giggled.

She laughed badly.

"Oh please, you did so much better!" She slightly pushed her shoulder.

I turned away and walked to my trailer to get changed.

After getting changed, I walked in Kaia's Trailer to see her combing out her hair. She saw me in her huge mirror and smiled.

"Well I'm happy seeing you here." She said, flipping her hair over again and brushing it.

"Well, It wasn't really my choice." I mumbled.

She stopped brushing and turned to me.

"Maya, this means a lot to me. And that you are helping me, is amazing. One day you will not regret doing this." She said, standing up.

"If it does mean a lot, can I go home for the holidays? Mom is in the hospital and she will be alone-" '

"I don't have any backup dancers. You are my backup dancer. And our biggest show is over Christmas. I know that you miss her, but you can't see mom." She kissed my cheek and walked out.

I sighed and followed her.

"Kaia! Mom shouldn't spend Christmas alone." I said, grabbing her arm and spinning her to face me.

"No! You are not seeing mom! She is most likely going to die over Christmas, so its not worth it!" She said, yanking her arm out of my hand.

"Isn't that a reason to go visit her? Can you stop being so selfish and let me go see her?" I yelled.

She gasped.

"Selfish?! You are the one making my carrier fall down just so you can see mom!" She yelped.

I rolled my eyes.

"Mom, can't die without us there. Dad is already gone. Everybody is gone for the holidays, so its our job to take care of her." I said calmly.

She groaned.

"Maya. Listen. You are NOT going to see mom. If she doesn't die over Christmas, you can see her on new years." She turned and walked away.

Later that night, I couldn't stand not seeing mom. I grabbed my phone and called her. After 2 rings, she answered.

"Hello?" He voice sounded raspy.

"Hey, mom. Its Maya. How are you?" I asked, trying to smile.

"I'm doing okay, dear. Are you having fun with your sister?" She coughed.

I shook my head and sighed. "I want to see you for the holidays, but I can't. Kaia won't let me."

"Maya, you don't have to see me. You can come visit me over new years." She confronted.

"What if you die over Christmas? I won't be there for you." I frowned.

"If I do die, I don't want you here to suffer. Have fun with your sis, and if I'm still alive, I will be looking forward to spend time with you."

I sighed and nodded.

"I love you mom." I said.

"Not possible." She laughed softly.

After laughing, I hanged up.

The next day, it was rehearsal after rehearsal for the big show. I didn't bother asking Kaia again, but after last night, she acted like nothing happened. I knew something was bothering her, but I didn't know what.

"Good job today guys!" Kaia said, squirting water in her mouth from her water bottle.

"Maya? You did good. Did you like the routine?" Kaia asked.

"No. I didn't." I snapped.

She gasped.

"A-are you sure? I thought it was good." She said.

"Its horrible. its stupid." I gagged.

"Excuse me! You gotten a dance position, and that is hard to get. If I were you, I would watch your mouth." She barked.

"I don't care about the position." I said.

She walked over to me, making the ground crunch.

She leaned in and whispered, "If this is about seeing mom, its stupid. If you want a future, start thinking about it. You need to stop this right now."

"No. Send me home to mom." I whispered back.

"I am not going to let you throw away this opportunity. Start acting like you belong." She barked, stepping back.

"Let me go home to mom!" I yelled.

The producer ran over, holding her clip board.

"What is the deal with you Maya?" She asked, catching her breath.

"Well, our mom is sick, and Kaia won't let me go home." I said.

She turned her head to Kaia and gave her a dirty look.

"You filthy kid. You only care about yourself. Let her go home!" She announced.

"No!" She yelled.

"Fine, you if won't let her, then I'm quitting." She dropped her board on the rocks.

"What?!" She gasped.

"You heard me." She repeated.

"But she can't afford a ticket!" She snapped.

"I'm paying for it. This is Christmas. You shouldn't keep her away from her loved ones." The producer wrapped her arm around me and smiled. I was going home.

I got home the next day, and spent time with mom. Mom sadly died on Christmas night, but at least I got to spend time with her. I love her and I will miss her greatly. I never heard back from Kaia. Her show got canceled, after many of the team quit cause of her selfishness. Kaia deserved it. Before mom died, I danced in her hospital room, to put a smile on her face. I got to dance the Christmas night away.

December 20, 2020 18:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Frances Reine
19:23 Dec 28, 2020

Aww that was a sad ending, but this is a really nice story.

Reply

Katie May
12:37 Dec 29, 2020

Thank you so much! I decided to make it sad to make it a little more interesting. :))))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.