0 comments

Fiction Historical Fiction

Kaylynn is a graduate student at Columbia University. Kaylynn has a strong love of the past and all the wonders it possesses. Kaylynn's love of the past has her majoring in history. Kaylynn's last project was about the Civil war and Reconstruction, now her next assignment is one that she loves and has a strong connection with. Kaylynn's assignment is writing about her family history.

Kaylynn doesn't know much about her family history. Her parents especially her mother does not like to talk about her family history. Kaylynn's grandfather died before she even knew him. Kaylynn's fondest memories of her grandfather was when she was three years old and he would sit Kaylynn down and tell her stories about an evil sorcerer who want to rule an entire land and a group of heroes who would stop at nothing to defeat the sorcerer and bring peace to the land. Kaylynn wonders if this story had any meaning to it.

Kaylynn Finishes her last class, and she decides to head to her parents house to talk to her mother about their family history. Kaylynn is intrigued as to why no one ever talked about their family. Were they hiding some big secret no one ever wanted to reveal? Did someone in their family die suspiciously? These are some of the questions that Kaylynn wants answers too.

Kaylynn arrives at her childhood home in Brooklyn. Kaylynn calls for her mother. Kaylynn and her mother hug and talk for awhile. When their small talk is finished Kaylynn gets down to business. She asks her mother about their family history. Kaylynn's mother turns her away from her. Kaylynn does not know why her mother is turning away from her. Kaylynn pleas for her mother to tell her the truth. Kaylynn's mother turns to her and tells her "grandma can tell you the truth." Kaylynn's mother goes to get her mother. Kaylynn is perplex at her mother's revelation, but is happy that she finally gets her answers.

Kaylynn's grandmother Kit comes to the living room and sits next to Kaylynn. Kaylynn explains to her grandmother that she's doing a history project about their family and she wants to know all about their history. Kit sits there listening to her granddaughter explaining her project. Kit looks down at the floor than to her granddaughter and tells her "I haven't told anyone about this in a long time because I was honoring your grandfather's last wish." Kaylynn looks at her grandmother and asks her "why?" Kit takes Kaylynn's hands and says "Your grandfather was a good man, a hero who lost so much. I will tell you the story." Kaylynn can only nod.

Kit begins to tell the story of Max Thomas her husband of almost 70 years. Kit tells Kaylynn that Max was born in 1922, a child of the Great Depression. Max had a hard life growing up. His father was never around, his mother struggle to raise 3 children, two boys and one girl. By the late 1930s Max had worked three jobs to help his family. During that time Max meet Kit and they fell in love. The 1930s became the 1940s times where getting better. The country was healing, but then on December 7th 1941 everything changed.

December 7th 1941 Pearl Harbor was attacked Max saw as his patriotic to serve his country. Max joined the Army the very next day. Max's younger brother James also saw as his patriotic duty to serve his country, so James followed in his brothers foot steps and joined the Army.

Kit stop telling the story and saw Kaylynn's face. Kaylynn did not know how to process this. Her grandfather who she loved so much had a brother she never knew. How can this be? Kaylynn told her grandmother "continue the story." Kit continued.

Max didn't like that his younger brother joined the Army, but there was no way Max could talk his brother out of leaving. Max was hoping that they can stick together, but that was not the case. Max stayed on the east coast while his brother went out west. Max didn't know if he will ever see his brother again. Over the next couple of months Max trained and trained not knowing where he was going to go. Max got word in the spring off 1942 that his brother James was going to be sent to the Philippines. On the night before James was to leave Max called James. The two brothers talked for about an hour. Max told his brother "to be careful and stay clam." James assured Max that he was going to be okay. The next morning James headed for the Philippines. Meanwhile Max signed up for the paratroopers

Kit once again stop the story and gaged Kaylynn's reaction. Kaylynn was speechless. Her great uncle was sent to the Philippines. As a history major she knows what happened to the American army that was there. The Bataan death March, could James have been there? Kaylynn looks back at her grandmother, and she continues to tell the story.

While James was in the Philippines Max joined the paratroopers. Joining the paratroopers gave Max more money and something challenging. Through out 1942 into 1943 Max and his group trained and trained not knowing what was going to happen. Each day training got harder and harder, but Max never quit. he continue and continue until his body hurt.

Kaylynn couldn't believe that her grandfather joined the fame paratroopers. She was astonished. Kit looked at her granddaughter and smiled. Kit loved seeing how Kaylynn reacted to the news of her grandfather. Kaylynn told her grandmother to continue.

Kit continue talking about Max as if he was still here. It was the middle of 1943 when Max got his wings and his promotion to Captain. Max couldn't believe that he was being promoted, but what he also couldn't believe was that him and his teammates finally knew where they were headed. They would be leaving for England.

Two months after he received his wings and promotion Max and his unit set sail for England. The seas were rough, the ship they were on was horrible, but they survived and made it to England where they stayed until D-day. Max and his unit trained everyday, they practice all they learned, and then finally they got the called. Max and the 101st airborne division would be dropped ahead of the main assault which would happen on the 6th of June 1944.

The night of 5th of June 1944 Max and the 101st broad the planes and took off for France. Max could see many of the paratroopers were nervous, Max was nervous himself, but he conduct himself like the true leader that he was. Max gave comforting words to his troopers. Minutes later the planes were nearing the drop zone. Max got his team ready. Under heavy fire the 101st dropped behind enemy lines.

Kaylynn listened to her grandmother like a kid waiting for candy. Kit smiled. Kaylynn couldn't believe that her grandfather was such a big part of history, and one she never knew about.

Kit continue the story. Many of the planes and paratroopers were lost that night. Max and his unit dropped under heavy fire. Max and his unit were separated as were many others. It took Max hours to locate his unit. It was finally day light when the finally member of his team was located, they got down to business. The main assault on Normandy was fast approaching, and they had little time to waste. Max and his unit which was called Charlie company immediately got to work. They took care of the Germans little by little, this took too long. Max could hear the sound the German guns blasting away. They couldn't clear the Germans out in time.

It took Max and Charlie company a long time to subdue the Germans, but they finally did it. The beaches of Normandy were finally clear of German machine guns. Over the next 400 plus days Max and the 101st fought in France,Holland, Belgium, and Germany, losing many friends. As each battle was fought Max and the 101st became famous, they never gave up, they fought and fought until each battle was one.

When Max and Charlie company entered Germany, they found what many people thought was not real, they found the concentration camps. Max was angry, hurt and sad by what he saw. Max said to himself "this is why I am here." This was true for his unit. They were here to give people hope that freedom was here.

Kit stop talking. She had tears down her face. Kaylynn took her grandmothers hand. Kaylynn told her grandmother "its okay. Grandfather did good." Kit smiled. Kaylynn asked her grandmother about James.

Kit told Kaylynn "it was after the German surrender that Max finally found news about James." The Germans surrender on the 8th of May 1945. There was celebration in Europe and back home in the U.S. but for Max there wasn't any celebration. Max received word that his brother James has been a Japanese prisoner of war since 1942. Max was heartbroken, here he was being the hero everyone expected him to be meanwhile his brother was suffering.

Kaylynn couldn't believe what she was hearing. Her great uncle James, a man she never knew was a prisoner of war. Kaylynn wonders why she never met James. Kaylynn asks her grandmother "Why don't I know James?" Kit continues.

When the paratroopers became an occupational force, the war in the pacific was still raging. Max heard that the 101st could soon be deploy to the pacific, and Max wanted to be the first one to go. Max know a Major signed up to head to the pacific, but he didn't get the chance to go. Max's transfer was denied. Max wanted to know why. He want to his superior officer and asked why he was denied. His superior asked "Why do you want to go?" Max replied "My brother is a pow I want to go look for him."

Max's superior officer wouldn't let him risk his life again. This war has took a toll on everybody including Max. After a month on occupational duty Max had enough points to go home. Max head back to New York to see Kit.

On the 6th and 9th of August 1945 two atomic bombs were dropped on two Japanese cities. Three days later the Japanese finally surrender. Max was relieved that the war in the pacific finally ended, but news about his brother was still slow to come. Three months later Max finally received word that James survived.

November 3rd 1945 James finally came home. Max, Kit, Jame's wife Ruby, their sister Wendy and their parents were over joy to see James, but Max could see that James was not the same person he was. War and being a pow changed James. Over the next weeks and months Max settled into civilian life. James tried to settle into civilian life, but he was haunted by his time being a pow. Max tried to help James, but he didn't want any of it. James resented Max, but he never let on until James reached his breaking point.

It was on Christmas Eve that James finally explode and told Max how he was really feeling. Max was the hero, he wasn't. James spent three years as a pow while his brother was the hero. James left that night and since then Max and James never spoke.

Kit finished telling Kaylynn why nobody ever speaks about their family history. Max was too heartbroken to talk about his brother. These past 70 plus years have been hard for Max. Max missed his brother so much and every time Max tried to talk about James he broke down. When Max passed away James did not come to the funeral which hurt Kit.

Kit gave Kaylynn a picture of Max and James together before the war, they were so happy. Kaylynn looks at the picture and smiles. Kaylynn asks Kit "is James still alive?" Kit replies "me and Ruby have kept in touch over the years and yes James is still alive." Kit gives Kaylynn James's address. Kaylynn is surprise to learn that James lives in Queens. Kaylynn asks her grandmother "is alright to visit James." Kit nods. Kaylynn and Kit hug. Kaylynn thanks her grandmother for finally telling her about their family history.

The next day Kaylynn goes to meet James for the first time in her life. Kaylynn arrives at James home. She knocks on the door, an elderly woman answers. Kaylynn tells the woman "My name Kaylynn Malloy, granddaughter of Max Thomas." The elderly woman opens the door and gives Kaylynn a hug and introduces her self as Ruby Thomas. Ruby invites Kaylynn inside and leads her to where James is. Kaylynn enters the room and calls "uncle James." James turns around. He stares at Kaylynn. Kaylynn introduces her self, but James stops her. "I know who you are. Come here and give me a hug." Kaylynn goes to James and hugs him. James apologizes to Kaylynn for not knowing her and for not patching things up with Max. Kaylynn and Max talk for hours about everything from her mother to Kit to her school. Kaylynn makes James promise that he will be at the next family dinner. James agrees.

True to his promise James, Ruby and their family arrive for the family dinner. Kit greets James with a big hug and kiss, then meets Kaylynn's mother Jackie for the first time. The two hug and cry. Kaylynn meets the rest of her family. Kit heads for the backyard, she opens the door steps outside and looks to the sky, and says "our granddaughter did it Max. James is finally with us. You can Rest In Peace my love." Kaylynn comes out to the backyard and hugs her grandmother.

Kaylynn finishes writing her report about her family history. She tells the story of her grandfather and uncle joining the army, of her grandfather being a paratrooper, and fighting his way through Europe to finally ending the Nazi terror, to her uncle surviving the Bataan death march, to being a pow and surviving three years in Japanese camps, to their falling out to grandfathers death and after 70 plus years the family reuniting.

January 31, 2021 00:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.