1 comment

Adventure Coming of Age Middle School

In the noisy classroom it was hard for me to think. I tried to do my best on the last day of school, but I couldn't stop wondering about summer. My teacher, Mrs. Brooks, thinks I have a hard time paying attention, but really I am just excited. Our class was learning about climate change, so nothing too fun. “Maddie, I need your eyes up here.” said Mrs. Brooks to me.  It’s hard to believe that she thought I wasn’t paying attention, when the biggest distraction in the world was sitting right behind me, Harriet Williams (totally the teacher's pet in class, but bully anywhere else). She kept raising her hand like she knew all the answers, and all Harriet cared about was her hair looking nice and getting good grades. We had been in the same class for three years in a row, each year she did something mean or embarrassing to me.  This year she hadn’t done anything, so I was expecting a trick today because it was the last day of school. I was on my feet, ready. 

I had to last thirty more minutes, school was almost over.  I put all my thoughts and effort into the last sentence of my essay. As soon as I finished, Mrs. Brooks informed us there was one more announcement from Principal Garmen. She turned the intercom on. “Students of Ashley Ridge Junior High, please note that the school council has added one more week until summer, due…” -My heart dropped.  Well, now I have more time to plan, she thought, trying to cheer herself up, but less time to spend - “to summer period length. After this weekend you will be returning to school.” Principal Garmen finished. How? Could I have jinxed it, I thought. Seconds later the bell rang and everybody raced out of the door as fast as they could, as usual I was the last one out.

Earlier I had promised my friend Lynn that I would walk home with her, so that was where I was headed.  We met at the fountain. I asked her if she would like to spend the night at my house? She said yes! 

“My House it is!” I told her happily. She replied back with a “YAY!”  As we walked home we talked about summer. When we reached my house my mom was not surprised that Lynn was here. We Slowly snuck up the stairs, trying to avoid my annoying little brother Jack. The next morning  my mom got an email from school. “Why did the School email us on the weekend?” I asked mom. “I’ll read it now,” 

  Dear Maddie Smith

During your extra week, your class will be on an overnight field trip. You need to bring the following:

  • Your sleeping supplies
  • Your toiletries 
  • Bug Repellent
  • First aid kit
  • Clothing for four days 
  • Swimsuit and towel
  • Sweatshirt, Jacket,Coat, etc.
  • (Any other Items you feel the need for)

(  If any allergies respond to email )

(  If any questions respond to email )

Sincerely your Principal,

Mrs. Garmen

“Well…I mean it’s better than climate change?” I said unsurely. 

“That sounds fun!” Lynn exclaimed. 

“Ya better start packing” Mom picked up. I was sad when Lynn left, I had no one to talk to about my trip.

Sunday morning I woke up bright and early to start packing for my school trip. I looked in my closet to find my overnight bag but it wasn’t there. I jogged down stairs to find it in my laundry room, there it was hanging on a hook one foot above where I could reach. I went outside through my garden into my garage finding a ladder the perfect size. “Honey, what are you doing?” mom hollered. “Packing” I yelled back from outside, realizing that it was only eight o'clock.  As soon as I got back to the laundry room I set up the ladder, started to crawl up. I tugged on my backpack, I got it, I tipped over trying to land right. Smack! My face hit the ground, I got back up and waved my bag in one hand like a victory flag, long enough for everything to fly out. It was all of my basketball stuff. I picked up my things, then ran up stairs to start packing. 

That night my Uncle Fred picked me up and took me to a Timber Rattler’s baseball game.  It was sunny and beautiful out, it was a horrible time to leave for a trip with school.   We had hot dogs, peanuts and cotton candy and the Rattlers won.  It was a great night.

The next morning I got up early and my mom drove me to school.  We had a talk about safety and then left on the bus for the airport.  I still didn’t know where we were going.  Only the people with allergies knew where we were headed.  We got off the bus and made our way through the airport.  Everyone was assigned seats and I was praying I wasn’t going to be next to Harriett.  The airline attendant announced over the intercom, “We are now boarding our flight to Trinidad and Tobago.  All travelers with small children  or travelers that need assistance may board first.” I couldn’t believe we were going to the Carribean.  I had never been to a tropical island before. When it was my turn to board the plane, I got up and stood in line behind Tucker.  My face immediately turned red, I couldn’t believe I was going to spend a week on a tropical island with my crush.  

I was in row 14, seat C.  As I walked down the aisle I saw that Tucker moved into row 14, I was going to sit across from Tucker!!!!  I was so distracted that I forgot I don’t like to fly.  Oh man, and now I have to act calm or else Tucker will think I am a psycho.  The plane took off and I did everything I could to remain calm.  I tried not to look at Tucker (or barf). Once we were in the air I fell asleep.  When I woke up, it was lunch time.  I took out my lunch box and started to eat the peanut butter and jelly sandwich my mom packed for me.  Then I watched a movie on my phone that my mom got me.  I had finally gotten a phone for my 13th birthday, which my mom told me was a very early age, so I had to be extra responsible with it.  We landed a few hours later.

As we walked through the airport, I was immediately struck by the musty smell and the humidity in the air.  It was SO hot!  Maybe climate change was really important.    

We left the airport and took a van down to the harbor where we got on a large sailboat.  At least I wasn’t seasick.  It was so beautiful.  The water was turquoise and there was so much sea life.  When we reached a small island, we got off the boat and started to unpack our bags and set up our tents. Was this how we were going to sleep for the rest of the week?!  My teacher assigned bunkmates and I got Harriett!  I couldn’t believe it, I was going to have to spend a whole week with Harriett in the same tent!  

As soon as I was done I started to text Lynn.  “Where did you guys go for your field trip?”  

“We are in Iceland.  It’s so beautiful!  I wish you were here with me.” Lynn texted back.

“We are on some small island in the Caribbean. You’ll never guess who I have to share a tent with?  Harriett!  Ugggh.”

“OH NOOOOOOOOOO!”

Counselor Jake called us all for dinner so I said goodbye to Lynn and put my phone away.  We roasted hot dogs, I was so sick of hot dogs, I had just had one yesterday at the baseball game. For dessert we had s’mores, finally something I enjoyed. That night I slept well, I stood up out of bed stepping on blue goo gasping for air. “Harriet must have done this because she wasn't in bed.” I figured.

I wiped off my feet and put my sandals on. I stepped outside the tent, it was so bright, I walked toward breakfast. Everyone was out there eating already. Could I have slept in? Oh no! My phone must have died and so did my alarm clock on it. I walked over to the serving station, got my own bowl of oatmeal, and sat propped up by a palm tree. I was so hungry I ate it all with a gulp. “I need to freshen up with a swim”. I thought to myself.  I handed my tray back to the lunch ladies.  Counselor Jake reassured us that free time was after breakfast. I was just in time for free time, a time we get to do whatever we want as long as the adults know where we are and what we are doing. I snatched a napkin to clean up the blue goo I had stepped in earlier. I changed into my swimsuit, grabbed my towel, My sunglasses, my sunscreen and left a note on Harriet’s mattress.   Nice trick. (And with a smiley face) 

I told Jake I was going swimming in the water. I laid my towel down on the sand. I set my sunglasses on my head and started to apply sunscreen. When I was done I plunged into the water. Warm but cool at the same time. Refreshing is the best description for it. After a while it got cold. I got out and I went to the cabin to get ready, “Hi um” Harriet said, scaring me. “I'm sorry, I pranked you to get your attention.” “Oh”

March 06, 2021 04:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

AVA LANE
19:36 Mar 11, 2021

It was very fun writing this however I did not finish.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.