0 comments

Fantasy Teens & Young Adult



I always knew my stasis night would come.

Ever since I was a child, my mentors have been training me and preparing me for it. Today is my 18th birthday, tonight, at midnight, I will climb into a chamber, and be put to sleep for 57 years. 

"Saylish."

I looked up from my journal and acknowledged my mentor, Howard,

"Yes, sir?"

He glanced at the open book under my hand and I closed it quickly, giving me a slightly disapproving look, he gestured for me to stand.

"We must go, you have one last training session before tonight, then you will finish packing all of your items, take one last walk around the city, and say your final goodbyes."

I nodded, I was fully ready to be put under, the only part I dreaded, was saying goodbye. Here on planet Kanden, everyone goes to sleep on their 18th birthday, but everyone is put to sleep for different amounts of time; depending on the person and their compatibility with the chamber. Dating anyone here, is strictly forbidden. When we are born, we are taken from our family's and put into the care of our mentors, we never do find out who they were or where we came from. Friends are allowed, but there isn't really a point in having them, you could sleep for 14 years and your best friend could sleep for 40. 

Despite all of my best efforts, I still have a couple best friends. I don't know if I'll ever see them again after tonight. Following Howard down the winding hallways of my residency, I took one last look at all of the doors. My bedroom, that was hardly ever used, the old laboratory that I accidently exploded last year during a project for school. I would miss this place, but I was excited for my new life. Whatever, or where ever it may be. 

Training was, as it usually is, way too easy, answer questions about the chamber, prove that you are fully ready for it blah blah blah. Next, he led me back to my room and left me with a bunch of bags to put all of my stuff into, I didn't have much so it didn't take me that long. Then I headed outside for my last walk. Our city wasn't huge exactly, but it was bigger than most of the cities on this planet, unsurprisingly, there was no one on the streets. Milling about wasn't allowed either, the only time you could be outside was on the weekends. I decided to walk to Seb's house. 

He was at the door when I got there, throwing his arms around me,

"Saylish, I was hoping you'd come."

I laughed and tried not to cry,

"Oh Sebastian, I'm going to miss you so much."

He held me by my shoulders, giving me a sad smile; his dark gray eyes staring into my golden ones,

"You can't miss me more when you're asleep." 

I shook my head,

"You'll be going soon too, do you know your years yet?"

"No, they haven't fully determined it yet."

I sighed,

"Well, let's pray that its around the same time as me."

He nodded,

"You have to go to Em's house, don't you?"

I looked at my feet,

"I wish I could stay longer, but I don't enough time before midnight."

He pulled me in and held me tightly,

"I understand, just know I love you, and I will miss you so so much."

I pulled away and handed him a journal, I had filled it out entirely with letters to him, so he'd always find comfort with me. He grabbed it and set it down, I gave him a sad smile.

"I love you too Seb, you'll always have me."

He gently grabbed my hands,

"Forever."

I squeezed his hands,

"Forever."

I blinked back tears before letting go, turning around, and walking away. For the last time.


Next, I headed to Emerald's house. She was much more emotional, crying the second she saw me,

"Oh Saylish, if I don't wake up the same time as you, I'm going back to sleep, just promise me that you won't forget about me."

I hadn't known her for nearly as long as I'd known Seb, but she was still like a sister to me.

"How could I ever forget you Em?"

She pulled away and smiled at me,

"You have a good point."

I handed her the 10 page long letter that I had written the night before, she took it and held it to her heart, like she could keep me here if she kept it safe. I hugged her again,

"I'm so sorry, I'm out of time."

She let go of me,

"I know, your destiny awaits you."

I laughed and wiped away the tears that had started to fall,

"I'll see you in the next life Em."

Tears filled her eyes and she hooked her pinky through mine,

"No matter where you end up, you will always be my best friend."

We shook our connected hands,

"To the ends of the world."

I broke it, and we made a heart with our hands, before I turned around, and took what would be my final steps. My chamber was waiting for me.


Howard was waiting for me when I got there. A crowd was grouped around the big box in the middle of the circle that held all of the chambers under the surface. He nodded to me and I stepped forward, I could see all of my items already inside, taking a deep breath, I gave Howard one more hug before I stepped inside. Strapping myself to the long bed that lay inside, I saw the gas start billowing into the chamber. Silent tears ran down my cheeks as I looked out the foggy windows at Em and Seb, at my old life, and finally, with one final breath of air, my eyes fluttered closed and I felt my senses slip away. 


Falling into my endless nights sleep.  




October 06, 2020 23:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.