'Til Death we're apart

Submitted into Contest #237 in response to: Write a story about two people falling in love via email.... view prompt

31 comments

Contemporary Fantasy Romance

Content warning: implied alcohol, death (abstract)

From: SJG2354@IntimateLibrary.com

To: ATD6534@InfiniteLibrary.com

Subject: Vent Sesh - Read with wine

Emily!!!!!

I am AT MY LIMIT with him! I swear, he is running this whole company into the ground. Nobody is paid enough, everyone works too many hours, AND he just laid off like forty people. Were they bad people? Hell if I know! We had just hired them last month!!! Seriously, their benefits hadn’t even kicked in yet. I wish he was dead. At least then his spot would be open and maybe we could save this sinking ship.

Sarah

From: ATD6534@InfiniteLibrary.com

To: SJG2354@IntimateLibrary.com

Subject: Re: Minor issue

This email came from a domain outside of your organization. Please be aware of potential phishing attempts.

Dear Sarah,

I believe this email was not intended for me, as I am not your best friend Emily. However, I couldn't help but read the first few lines of your email before realizing my mistake. I couldn't resist responding to your frustrations, as I am quite familiar with the challenges of working in a demanding job. I hope you don't mind the intrusion, and I hope you don't get in trouble for accidentally sending this email to the wrong recipient.

Sincerely,

A.

From: SJG2354@IntimateLibrary.com

To: ATD6534@InfiniteLibrary.com

Subject: Re: Re: Minor issue

Dear A (?)

Hey, I’m so sorry. I don’t even know how I got my friend’s email SO wrong. In my defense, I was wallowing and I have just now made the decision never to drink and email at the same time ever again. I also need you to understand I am not a psychopath and I was only emotional so I do not REALLY want my boss dead. For all legal purposes, that was hyperbole.

Really REALLY sorry,

Sarah

From: ATD6534@InfiniteLibrary.com

To: Sarah

Subject: Re: Minor issue

This email came from a domain outside of your organization. Please be aware of potential phishing attempts.

Dear Sarah,

No apology necessary. It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance. I must say, your email was quite entertaining, albeit unintentionally so. It's refreshing to hear someone be so candid about their frustrations, it's a reminder of humanity and how complex it is. And no worries, I am not a lawyer and I don’t generally take requests for deaths anyway. Your emotions are safe with me.

Sincerely,

A.

From Sarah

To A

Subject: Guess what!

Don’t worry, this isn’t a drunk email. I just thought you’d like some closure on the drama I accidentally sent you. My boss apparently had this near death experience (Again, definitely Not My Doing, just a coincidence) and came into the office today a whole new guy! He rehired those forty people WITH backpay, gave me a promotion AND a raise out of nowhere, and it happens to be in a position where I can better balance people’s hours and pay. We’re finally going to be a company I want to work for! Has your boss ever done a 180 like that?

Thanks for being my venting board,

Sarah

From A

To Sarah

Subject Re: Guess what!

This email came from a domain outside of your organization. Please be aware of potential phishing attempts.

Sarah, 

That's wonderful news! I'm overjoyed to hear about the positive turn of events you experienced at work. It seems like fate intervened on your behalf. Perhaps the universe heard your frustrations and decided to grant your boss a much-deserved wakeup call. As for my boss, our line of work has a very long history and tradition, so he doesn't change much at all-- not that I can say he needs to. Everybody who works here is perfectly happy. Maybe one day you can even work with us.

All the best, 

A.

From A

To Sarah

Subject: Are you okay?

This email came from a domain outside of your organization. Please be aware of potential phishing attempts.

Sarah,

I’m just checking in, as a friend. I was cleaning out my mailbox and realize we haven’t written in a few weeks. I apologize if I am the one who is out of line this time, but I thought we had established some kind of friendly rapport. 

Anyhow. Feel free to send me a Vent Sesh or even positive news like the turnarounds you were planning on making with your company. 

Wishing you well,

A.

From Sarah

To A

Subject Re: Are you okay?

No, I’m not okay. Emily died out of nowhere. She was so young and driven and my only friend in this stupid city. I remembered what you said. About joining you at your company? Anyway, I was really considering it because everything in this STUPID town reminds me of her. Guess what I found when I looked you up? Absolutely nothing. But it’s not just you that doesn’t exist, apparently. You never gave me a full name, to be fair, so I searched your email domain. There doesn’t seem to be such a thing as an infinite library, and that paired with how blase you are about death is just… I simply don’t trust you. Stranger danger and all that.  I need some time to just process everything right now so NO I’m not okay and I don’t even know if I should be friends with some virtual stranger.

Warm Regards.

Sarah

From A

To Sarah

Re: Re: Are you okay?

This email came from a domain outside of your organization. Please be aware of potential phishing attempts.

I understand. My company is very private and asks that we be private ourselves. I am genuinely sorry to hear about your friend. I can tell you we have a sort of program that takes all of the world’s religions and information about any person and tells you where they’re predicted to be after death. I won’t bother you after this, I respect your feelings and your reasonable boundaries. But I thought you might like to see what it predicted for Emily.

1 attachment

From A. 

From Sarah

To A

Subject: I suck

Hey there, A…

Look, I’m sorry. I actually got over myself several months ago and I kept thinking about responding to you but the more time passed the more awkward it got and… you get it. At least, I hope you do. I was at Emily’s grave today for her anniversary, and it’s the craziest thing but… do you remember that file you sent me? The one your company program or whatever predicted? 

When I was at Emily’s grave, I saw a whole MESS of butterflies, just like the one in that little Paradise Image you sent me. And… I don’t know. I hope it’s true. I hope she’s in her own personalized Paradise, surrounded by beauty and flowers and butterflies. 

Will you forgive me? You’re my only friend now. I’m attaching a picture of the valentines card I got for E. She never met you, or emailed you, but I talked about you a lot so it’s close enough. I signed the card from both of us.

1 attachment

From A

To Sarah

Re: I suck

This email came from a domain outside of your organization. Please be aware of potential phishing attempts.

Sarah, 

That is an impressive amount of glitter!

And of course, there is no apology needed. Of course I will be your friend, in this life as well as the next. I revisited my decision to send you that file without even asking, so please accept my apology. As it so happens, my company also has a sort of algorithm that can generate messages from your loved one. If you’d like that. I understand if it hurts too much.

Forever yours,

A.

From Sarah

To A

Subject: Merry Christmas!

I know you said you don’t subscribe to any one religion, but that doesn’t mean you DON’T celebrate Christmas. Anyway. It’s all been a bit commercialized to be considered religious these days. I know I said I’de never drink and email again but everyone os just soooo cheery I can’t stand it. Are you sure there’s no way we can ever meet? I’m the best at getting holiday presents. Like, Olympic medal BEST. It’s been like what, twenty years since we started being penpals? Give or take a few years when you irritate me enough to stop writing you. Your boss sohuld know by now that I’m not a corporate spy or whatever.

From A

To Sarah

Re: Merry Christmas

This email came from a domain outside of your organization. Please be aware of potential phishing attempts.

Happy Christmas, Sarah, 

We will meet, likely sooner than you think. In the meantime, I got you a holiday present: a recipe for curing hangovers. Based on your typing skills, I dare say you’ll need it. And if you truly wish to get me something, what about one of those poems you told me about? I know what you think of them, but I promise I am an avid lover of “terrible, moody, not even rhyming” poetry.

1 attachment

All the best,

A

From Sarah

To A

Subject: This might be goodbye, soon

I’ve got cancer! Can you believe it? Actually, I can. It seems like everyone and their uncle is getting cancer these days. Anyway, it’s pretty advanced. It’s about time for me to retire anyway, so I decided to just skip the whole cutting and poisoning bit and start palliative care. I’m sorry we never actually got to meet. According to the doctors, there’s still a little time. A few weeks. I’m at the St. Demetrius Hospice in New York. If you want to visit.

By the way… do you still have that program you used for Emily all those years ago? Any idea where I’d end up?

From A

To Sarah

Re: This might be goodbye soon

My dearest Sarah, 

Death can be misleading. We’ll see each other soon, I’m sure. Unfortunately, there is a policy strictly prohibiting using our software to emulate loved ones. But I’m sure you’ll love wherever you go.

From SJG2354@InfiniteLibrary.com 

To A

Subject: coffee?

Everything about you makes sense now. I cannot BELIEVE you hid the fact that you actually work for Death IN THE UNDERWORLD from me for my WHOLE life. You jerk! To make it up to me, meet me at Que Fae Latte before work. Mister Death said we’ll be working together anyway, and you should know I’m dead to the world (lol) before I’ve had caffeine. 

(Literally) forever yours now,

Sarah

February 09, 2024 22:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

31 comments

Michał Przywara
21:44 Feb 22, 2024

Very nice :) Right at the start I noticed the infinite/intimate and wondered if it was a typo - and it was, but on purpose. Leads to a very nice premise with the second email. Likewise the title sounded a little odd, but of course by the end it makes perfect sense. An enjoyable, light-hearted take on death - thanks for sharing!

Reply

Kristina Aziz
00:30 Feb 23, 2024

Thank you so much! It definitely took a little brainstorming to figure out how the email could get sent to the wrong person.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Paul Simpkin
18:50 Feb 21, 2024

Very strong idea. You developed it really cleverly but I think the title of the story gives too much away.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Danie Holland
22:11 Feb 17, 2024

Okay but why was this so heartwarming 😭😭😭 he pen pal’d her for her whole life and then when she died they started working together for all eternity. That’s it. That’s all I needed. “(Literally) forever yours now, Sarah” — My heart is full. 😭 Thank you for the story!

Reply

Kristina Aziz
03:10 Feb 18, 2024

I'm glad it hit those notes! I've been practicing cozier/fluff pieces.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
12:28 Feb 19, 2024

Unique, original, funny. Too bad she had to wait her whole life to meet him. On the other hand, there's hope for me. :-)

Reply

Kristina Aziz
13:44 Feb 19, 2024

Ah but now she gets to spend as much of eternity as she wants with A!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John Rutherford
06:55 Feb 19, 2024

Very imaginative. Emails from beyond the grave.

Reply

Kristina Aziz
13:36 Feb 19, 2024

Thank you! If only something like that could be real.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ty Warmbrodt
06:32 Feb 19, 2024

Nicely done, Kristina. A realistic mishap turns out to be a communication beyond the grave. Entertaining read. Great job!

Reply

Kristina Aziz
13:28 Feb 19, 2024

Thank you! The Infinite Library as an afterworld is something I've been playing with.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kailani B.
21:34 Feb 18, 2024

That's so cute how they ended up working together in the end. Thanks for sharing!

Reply

Kristina Aziz
05:03 Feb 19, 2024

They were meant to be!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Karen Hope
00:27 Feb 18, 2024

This was full of surprises. I loved the initial one of Sarah emailing the wrong person. Ouch. It got even more complex from there. Nicely done!

Reply

Kristina Aziz
03:20 Feb 18, 2024

Thanks! I've definitely felt the pain of an email that wasn't supposed to be sent. Luckily it was never anything so incriminating!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nolan Shultz
00:08 Feb 18, 2024

Love the ending! Great work!

Reply

Kristina Aziz
03:14 Feb 18, 2024

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Yuliya Borodina
14:36 Feb 17, 2024

Whoa, that's not where I expected it to go, but it's one of those surprises that work. What a modern way of looking at guiding angels, haha! Lovely!

Reply

Kristina Aziz
15:00 Feb 17, 2024

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rabab Zaidi
13:56 Feb 17, 2024

Terrific! I was expecting a grand romance ( with the Boss, no less!) What a surprise ending! Well done !

Reply

Kristina Aziz
14:36 Feb 17, 2024

Thank you! The idea of people having jobs in the afterlife has been rolling around my mind for a while.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
13:24 Feb 11, 2024

This was splendid, Kristina! Wow ! Such a fresh take on the prompt. Other than that, I really like the voice you gave Sarah. Such a fun read. I sort of had an idea that A worked in the afterlife (A = angel = heaven), but the road to the reveal was so good. Great job!

Reply

Kristina Aziz
14:35 Feb 17, 2024

Thank you! I was trying to find that line between Possible to find out and Too obvious.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kathryn Kahn
18:34 Feb 20, 2024

This story was so unexpected! Sometimes I think there are no new plots, but you've proved me wrong! Nice job.

Reply

Kristina Aziz
14:23 Feb 21, 2024

Thank you! My corporate afterlife universe is bits and pieces from other books so not as new as you think!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dennis Haak
14:39 Feb 20, 2024

That was a great read! Funny, well written and with a unique twist. Loved it :)

Reply

Kristina Aziz
14:23 Feb 21, 2024

I'm glad it struck those notes!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
06:41 Feb 19, 2024

These emails may go on forever but thought they should have had dates on them. Inventive idea. Thanks for liking my 'Alyce's Restaurant '.

Reply

Kristina Aziz
14:24 Feb 21, 2024

Dates were a bit stifling, but I tried to convey the passage of time in the bodies of the emails. Thanks for the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Story Time
06:39 Feb 19, 2024

I feel as though the danger with this prompt is that it would be very easy to make it quaint and ignore the trappings technology presents in terms of the characters getting where they need to go, and you managed to really make me believe in the journey they're on. Well done.

Reply

Kristina Aziz
14:26 Feb 21, 2024

There's not a lot we email about these days, I definitely thought a misrouted message would give me room to open up the prompt.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.