2 comments

General

As the birds began their morning ritual of gossip hour and the sun hiked above the mountain, Gracie fluttered open her eyes. Today was the day she knew Clara would leave. For days she watched the suitcase wheels roll along the gleaming hardwood as Clara continued to pack. When June left a couple of years ago, Gracie hoped she didn't have to feel that lonely again. The three of them were close, but Gracie got to spend more time with Clara since June had been gone. They bonded over nightly tea sessions, lounging on the deck on the sunny days, watching episodes of National Geographic on the couch; their favorite scenes showed the lions and leopards running at high speeds. Sometimes she wished she could run that fast. She also wishes Clara didn't have to leave so soon.

Clara trots down the stairs, the fresh pot of coffee calling her name.

"Hey Grace!" Clara waves and dances into the kitchen. "Today's the day!"

Gracie just looked at her. She watched Clara drape herself over the counter, typing something on her glowing screen. The weeks of high-stress and anxiety have led up to today: Move-In Day. Clara had been feeling a mix of a lot of emotions, but didn't know what she was going to do without Gracie. During the hard times, as small as a failed quiz to dealing with heartbreak, Gracie's been there. No judgement, no hard words, just total acceptance of Clara. She felt her eyes watering up before she remembered the mascara on her eyes. After mom and dad move her in, Clara is meeting some girls from the FB group chat. She didn't want to break out in hives from crying today. That can be something to worry about tomorrow.

"Mom, Dad, we gotta leave in 5!" Clara shouts. Feeling a pair of eyes on her, she spins to Gracie.

"Awww, don't look at me like that. I'll be home soon," she whispers, now sitting on the couch next to Gracie. As Clara sank into the warm leather, Gracie lays her head on Clara leg, stretching her arms out long. The two sit in silence for a couple of breaths and Clara watches Gracie's tiny chest rise and fall.

"Gracie, listen. I'm going to miss you, and I can drive back to see you all the time!" Clara persists, but Gracie won't look at her. Instead, she stares ahead, hoping the moment doesn't arrive.

Gracie stays like this for some time, remembering the way she fits against Clara's body. Her concept of time is off, by about 7 years, but she doesn't understand "I'll be home soon." Soon: a filler word to make the speaker feel as though they've committed to an action, event, date, story without truly committing to anything. The intent behind the word and the person delivering the remark create the trust in really seeing them soon. She turns her head to lock eyes with Clara before giving her a quick kiss.

Clara stood, unsticking her legs from the leather cushion. She's been waiting for this moment since June left - she's going to be on her own! All those high school lessons-learned have prepared her to spread her wings and fly free. Letting go and getting that freedom is the hardest part. Sure, she's been counting down the days until she's moved out of her childhood home, but that means leaving everything attached to it behind. Clara won't miss the little neighbors screaming in the pool, but she will miss sitting on the deck drinking tea as the sun lazily lingers. The dog days of summer were long and blended. She didn't think she was going to miss the roads that curve like bobby-pins. Or the soft early-morning drumming that signaled summertime band practice had arrived. All of that and more put together created her hometown. The little bits that Clara noticed but never appreciated.

Their parents had just come down the stares and Dad was already grabbing his to-go cup. Mom smiled at the two of them sitting together. Clara gave one last kiss to Gracie before heading back to the kitchen.

"I'm ready, I'm ready, I'm readyyyy," Clara chirped, quoting Spongebob.

Mom rolled her eyes, but smiled big. She stretched a long arm out to Clara and dropped a travel hand sanitizer in Clara's outstretched hands.

"Better safe than sorry!"

Clara did a quick check of her mental photo: her nightstand was clean, AirPods check, charger check, she'd grabbed her face wash, no hot tools were plugged in. A quick nod of her head signaled Clara was satisfied.

"I think I've got it all!" She squealed and enveloped Mom into a hug. The two remained embraced for a while, before parting with wet eyes. Clara smiled at her, knowing the tears, and the hives, would come after move in.

"Hey, we can say good-bye later. We need to beat the traffic," Dad chirped in. He had the garage door propped open with his left hand, his trusty cup of coffee in the right. Clara knew he just didn't want to cry twice in one day.

"Yep, let's go," Mom said, helping Clara hoist her duffle bag onto her shoulder. The lights were turned off and Clara looked at the kitchen. Family dinners, board games, morning coffees, gossip sessions, cooking, movies, love. All of that will be here when she comes back, she tells herself, no matter how much this feels like the final cut of a tie.

When Clara looked back to the leather couch one last time, Gracie was gone.

"Wait, I want to say bye one last ti-" Clara began but was cut off from a wet lick on her ankle. Down at her feet was Gracie, stretching her self in downward dog and giving her ankle licks, tail wagging rapidly. Her soft, golden curls glistened with light from the early morning sun and her big brown eyes looked up expectantly at Clara. "I love you" is what she wanted to say but couldn't.

Gracie would miss her, that is true, but Clara will be home soon.

August 07, 2020 15:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Amanda McDowell
00:14 Aug 12, 2020

stairs * :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jimmy Martinelli
23:33 Aug 11, 2020

This is incredible

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.