A normal day on the job with Mrs. Anderson

Submitted into Contest #75 in response to: Write about someone whose job is to help people leave their old lives behind.... view prompt

0 comments

Funny Teens & Young Adult

"Alright, Miss Anna was it? How can I help you today?" A woman sat with her legs crossed, her blouse barely fitting over her bosom, tight slacks hanging just above her ankles. Her crocodile print sandals were ugly enough to gag at, but her client paid no mind. This time things would be different. This time she would turn her life around.

Mrs. Anderson adjusted her cross shoulder bag, pulling out a lip gloss from within the depths of that horrid flowery pouch, the leaking perfume scent rising out into the air, flooding Miss Anna's nostrils with an overwhelming peachy cherry blossom scent that made her stomach churn.

Pulling out a nail file, Mrs. Anderson turned her attention back to her client. "Hello Mrs. Anderson, it's a pleasure to meet you." Miss Anna outstretched her hand, gesturing for her new therapist to shake it. Instead, Mrs. Anderson popped open the lip gloss and smeared it all over her lips, reaching out with her left hand instead. Not exactly the proper way a hand shake goes.

Miss Anna hesitantly retracted her right hand and extended her left as well, giving Mrs.Anderson a light shake. Not even 10 seconds into this lady's office and she was already uncomfortable.

"Alright, let's cut to the chase." Mrs. Anderson smacked her lips together in the most effectively aggravating way possible. "So you're here because..." she trailed off, grabbing a clipboard and scanning the piece of paper clipped down to it, presumably a list.

"Your boyfriend of 3 years broke up with you or whatever."

Anna slowly nodded her head, a bit dumbfounded at the "or whatever" that had just been tagged at the end of her sorrows. What the fuck was wrong with this bitch?

"Uhm, yes, that." Anna wasn't quite sure how to start. Mrs. Anderson, on the other hand, had a whole lesson planned out. They were going out and finding this woman a man, asap. Like, one quick look up and down was enough to tell her that this girl had been crying on the way here and definitely hadn't showered. The only option to cover up the smell of body odor was to spray her peach cherry blossom perfume that she loved dearly. She really hated to waste it but she couldn't think with the smell of armpits lingering in her nostrils.

Further examination proved how much of a mess she was. Mascara was smudged on her eyelids, as if she tried to put on makeup but was in too much of a rush to take a peek in the mirror. Not to mention those crusty lips in need of some lip balm.

What really bothered her were those nails. Acrylics weeks overgrown, broken and worn down, the sight almost blinded her. The worn jeans and cardigan were the cherry on top. Just a disgusting display of heartbreak. It was time to turn things around.

Suddenly, Mrs. Anderson stood up, her boobs bouncing along with her. “Ok, it’s time to do a little shopping.”

“Why are we going shopping again? I didn’t bring any money with me.” Anna was thoroughly confused, she thought she had signed up for a therapy lesson, not a shopping spree.

"We are shaping you up and taking you to a bar. I'll pay for everything. I'm just gonna drop you off there then you can come in next week and tell me how it went alright? If you are willing to schedule another appointment of course." She popped a piece of chewing gum in her mouth, being quite noisy.

"Yes, of course..." Mrs. Anderson grabbed her hand, tugging her along to all the stores in the mall.

"They went everywhere, from Sephora to America Eagle to many other places. Even gucci? How much money did this woman have?

By the time they were out on the sidewalk, Anna's arms were piled and rung with shopping bags. Clothes and makeup and body care loaded these bags to the brim. They had spent hundreds- no, thousands of dollars on these items. Most of them Anna didn't even know what they were for, but they were just handed to her so fast she didn't have time to think. They were in and out within a half hour, record timing after having visited almost every store in the entire mall. What type of superhuman just was this therapist?

"Alright, let's get in the car and dress you up." Mrs. Anderson once again grabbed her hand and pulled her along. Anna's wrist was starting to hurt, but she appreciated this woman's infectious enthusiasm.

"Alright, alright, just don't pull on me so hard. I'm going to drop everything." It was true, the bags had almost fallen from her arms on multiple occasions due to the constant pulling and tugging Mrs. Anderson was prone to. Anna giggled to herself, a smile spreading across her face. She had thought that this session would involve a lot of talking, but apparently Mrs. Anderson had more ambitious plans in mind.

When they had made it to the van, Anna let the bags slip from her arms with a sigh of relief, the products spilling over the floor. Anna had been in the passenger seat the entire ride, so she didn't have a chance to look around in the back. It was basically a moving house, complete with a kitchen and bathroom, a loft hanging over. Anna presumed the loft was for storage or for a mattress. When Anna looked down again, Mrs. Anderson had all sorts of makeup products piled into her arms. It was quite impressive how fast she could move.

After pushing Anna into the bathroom where the lighting was at its best, Mrs. Anderson pulled out a makeup wipe and got rid of all the dirty mascara covering her eyelids.

"Go take a quick shower, then we will doll you up and send you off." It was more of a command than a request. Mrs. Anderson immediately left, shutting the door behind her, shouting something about picking out an outfit for her.

After souping her body in all the crevices and thoroughly washing her hair, Anna rinsed off and wrapped the spare towel folded on the counter around her body, looking in the mirror. For the first time in a while, she didn't grimace when seeing her face and body.

"Ok so time to do makeup." Anna wasn't spared a moment of protest as Mrs. Anderson immediately started putting moisturizer on her face. Anna closed her eyes and let it happen, hoping that Mrs. Anderson knew what she was doing.

She could feel liquid and powder smothering her face, the brushes tickling her skin. No spot on her face was neglected; from the chin to the cheeks, from the nose to the eyelids, everything was enhanced and made beautiful with simple and delicate movements.

"Look down, I need to apply mascara." Anna did just that, excitement building up in her tummy. When Mrs. Anderson was finally done, Anna looked in the mirror and...

Almost cried tears. Tears of happiness of course. Mrs. Anderson is good at everything, what did you think would happen?

"Alright time to put you in that dress." She hurried away and came back with heels and a silvery dress in hand, shoving them into  Anna's chest and again, calling something from the front that sounded like something something going to drive and do your hair something something.

After accomplishing these tasks, Anna had just made it in time to the passenger seat when Mrs. Anderson zoomed away at a surely illegal speed, almost throwing Anna out of the windshield.

After a stomach churning ride, Anna was promptly kicked out of the van in front of a bar at exactly 8:00 PM on the dot. Mrs. Anderson had accomplished all that within their hour-long session. She was really something.

Anna shook the thoughts from her head, not letting Mrs. Anderson's hard work go to waste. She trudged into the bar with confidence, prepared to seduce men out of their money and possibly find a ride home, as she had no idea where she was.

This new Anna was past her ex. It was time to stop moping, and start living.

January 09, 2021 04:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.