8 comments

General

Flowers do not compete with one another. They just bloom.1

Abigail and Sarah are neighbors on the same street and go to the same school. Abigail is involved in several extracurricular activities and has an array of hobbies and talents. Other people are naturally drawn to her without having to make much of an effort. Sarah lives vicariously through Abigail is some ways. They have a few things in common like your typical teenager. Abigail is focused and grounded whereas Sarah means well but is perceived by others as one of a kind.

Senior year arrived at Wooddale High School in Lakeview, VA. Lakeview is is mid-sized town a couple of hours from the coast. Wooddale High is a public school known for academics and their sports teams.

One morning before classes began, Abigail, Sarah, and a few friends gathered around to discuss the upcoming school day. As Abigail started in on a topic to another friend, Sarah is distracted by the parade of athletes and interrupts the conversation. The morning is saved when the bell rings for everybody to go to their respective homerooms. After listening to the morning announcements, the homerooms disperse into the halls. Abigail goes to her science class whereas Sarah goes to her trade class.

It so happens that Sarah is secretly drawn to the classmates who are in the majority of Abigail's classes. Instead of having a friendly outlook on those classmates, Sarah resents the fact that the classmates in Abigail's classes do not open up to her.

Abigail sees this but does not want to cause a rift. She is also busy with her high school career. Deep down inside, Abigail wonders why Sarah has such a resentment. She listens to Sarah about her school day and her crush. When Abigail has a chance to talk, Sarah chimes in and changes the subject. Abigail knows Sarah is generally a good person. She is also relieved to some extent that they have separate classes.

Abigail discovers through the grapevine that Sarah's crush is Joey who is one of her close acquaintances. Abigail is not the jealous type and Sarah does not seem to understand why Abigail does not pursue this person. Abigail explains to Sarah that she and Joey are good friends and have a couple of classes together. Abigail is also not the type to rush into things. Sarah is the reverse when it comes to the opposite sex. Eventually, Sarah starts to judge Abigail.

Sarah eventually conjures up the courage to make small talk with Joey. Things seem to be going well, day by day, until the infatuation aspect gets a little extreme. Joey politely excuses himself. This makes Sarah second guess herself. As Sarah walks to her classroom one day, she peaks into Abigail's classroom and notices Abigail and Joey talking and laughing. A wave of uncertainty and jealousy come over Sarah. Later on that day, Sarah acts out at Abigail. Abigail is speechless and takes a deep sigh. Once again, Abigail says that she and Joey are good friends, and that nothing was said regarding Sarah's brief encounter with Joey. Sarah storms off down the hall.

During the school year, Abigail gets accepted into 3 out of 4 of her college choices. Sarah notices this and starts to decide on which secondary institution she would like to attend. When Abigail is close to making her decision, Sarah is taken back that they both would attend different colleges.

When prom season draws near, both girls go on their separate times to each select a dress, shoes, and other accessories. Abigail selects an ivory, scoopneck lined dress with a flared skirt bottom. Sarah chooses an off the shoulder sparkly evening gown. Abigail asks Joey if he would like to attend the prom with her, and he agrees. Sarah ends up asking someone else from one of her classes.

Prom night arrives and it is held at a historic inn with a courtyard. The path leading up to the entrance is illuminated by organically designed fixtures. Abigail and Joey enter and start to walk around and mingle. Moments later, Sarah and her date, Ben, arrive and make a beeline towards the dance floor. When the music changes over to a slower pace, Sarah embraces Ben while Ben clumsily steps on her foot. Abigail and Joey are across the dance floor. Sarah constantly scans the room so when the music stops, she proudly takes Ben over to where Abigail is. Abigail acknowledges them both. Then Sarah and Ben continue on the dance floor. Abigail looks at Joey and shakes her head. Joey escorts Abigail over to the spread of finger foods, then out onto the dance floor when the music changes. The night ends with the awards of the prom king and queen, and a final dance.

A week or two after the prom, the seniors receive their graduation gowns, hats, and tassels. “Senioritis” has totally infected the graduating class. Tears of joy and sentiments are exchanged at the ceremony. Abigail and Sarah locate each other through the crowd and give each other a friendly smile. After the ceremony, Sarah tracks down Abigail and informs Abigail that her and Ben are still seeing each other. Abigail gives Sarah an empathetic hug. But Sarah does not mention that she is “late” for the month.

The summertime as new graduates into the real world passes by quickly for both of the young ladies. Autumn arrives as so does the first semester of college, and both Abigail and Sarah go to their respective colleges. They occasionally keep in contact with each other. Mostly they communicate vicariously through other acquaintances. Their majors take precedence over their lives. Winter break rolls around before they notice. Abigail and Sarah bump into each other while on winter break. They make small talk. Abigail awaits the spring semester to begin whereas Sarah will take a semester off to take care of things and work part time. Abigail quietly noticed a change about Sarah. The two young ladies end their conversation and go on their ways.

Abigail hits the Save icon, and proofreads her first story. She makes small changes, clicks on Save again, and shuts down her computer.



1From www.quotemaster.com

June 12, 2020 18:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

8 comments

Batool Hussain
11:31 Jun 30, 2020

Bravo!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mehak Aneja
12:58 Jun 26, 2020

BRILLIANT!! Loved the story so much and what a nice ending. It kept me hooked till the end. Would you mind to read my story and share your opinions on it??

Reply

Writers Block
20:24 Jun 26, 2020

Thank you Mehak! I will read your story too.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Writers Block
18:42 Jun 25, 2020

Thank you all for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Huma Fatima
13:36 Jun 23, 2020

Your story is quite engaging.

Reply

Show 0 replies
18:48 Jun 20, 2020

I really liked your story Writers Block. I like these type of stories about friends/ relationships against the backdrop of a school setting. You handled the competition between them well. Well done. I will read another story from you😃

Reply

Writers Block
19:32 Jun 20, 2020

Thank you Charm! Have your pick about my stories I posted....I'm not choosy! That feuding friends story was an ineration on real life....gasp!

Reply

15:16 Jun 23, 2020

Hi Writers Block :-) Thank you so much for reading my stories and commenting. I will get back after reading another one of your stories😃

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.