Contest #78 winner 🏆

227 comments

Fiction

It took us almost two months to comb through dad’s house, sorting the pieces of his unpursued passions into piles. 


Keep.

Sell.

Donate.

Trash.


He didn’t have much in the way of food, but cookbooks in mint condition spilled out of his kitchen cupboards. Mystery novels were stacked neatly on his bedside table, suffocating under layers of dust. Princess Di’s biography and Stephen King’s The Shining lay face down on the coffee table, spines cracked towards the ceiling. Poets hid, forgotten, behind the basement bar. Daunting masterpieces of Joyce, Hugo, and Dumas stood proper and pristine in the bookcases of his spare bedroom. Harry Potter, curiously, was lined up neatly on the workbench in his garage next to an impressive collection of equipment manuals. Donate.


While I examined every paternal artefact with the zeal of an amateur archaeologist, my sister, Kate, executed our job grudgingly, methodically, the corners of her mouth tugged down in mild distaste. She held no curiosity for the life that gave us life, and I assumed her interest in him extended only as far as his had in her.


We waded through a world of short-lived hobbies. The shed in the yard boarded gleaming gardening tools, unspoiled art supplies, and a pair of cross country skis still marked with a discount sticker. Sell


We purged every nook and cranny in the house of unused useful treasures. Three hundred glass mason jars collected dust and spiders in the alcove under the stairs; forty-five rolls of scotch tape curled up on their sides, stacked haphazardly in the cupboard above the washing machine; three five-gallon pails of assorted nails, screws, and bolts rusted behind the furnace. Keep. Donate. Trash.


A Yamaha keyboard piano emerged from under piles of forgotten laundry. Sell. Beginner sheet music for the guitar we’d never heard him play was buried in a wicker basket under a cascading mountain of magazines. The guitar in question was wildly out of tune. I strummed a dissonant chord absentmindedly, prompting Kate to grab and drop it with a reverberating hum next to a harmonica, a violin bow, and an assortment of small percussion instruments. Donate.


“We could sell that!” I exclaimed.


“He bought it at Walmart,” she replied flatly, and I briefly wondered how she knew.


Dad hadn’t been a bad guy, as far as I remember. I recalled him doing all the right dad things—teaching me to throw and catch a ball, taking us to the county fair to eat too much candy, bringing home a wriggling bundle of floppy ears and sad eyes that we crossed our hearts to feed, train, and walk (naturally, and much to her disgruntled dismay, it became mom’s exclusive responsibility).


It was just that, between the checked boxes of fatherhood, absence was his only constant. 


Early on, it was missed birthdays, disappointing Christmas mornings, and an empty seat in the stands at my B Division hockey games. By the time I was ten, he banged through our door only once or twice a year. Kate would quietly disappear to a friend’s; mom would gravitate as if on auto-pilot into the kitchen to prepare a meal; I would hover, eager to brief him on my latest activities and accomplishments, hopeful he would finally divulge something about the band with which he was surely travelling, or the secret mission on which he must have been deployed. “This and that” was all he ever offered.


When Kate left home, he came around even less often.


I waded into the unmoored moodiness of my teenage years and developed (feigned) indifference in his disinterest. By the time I crashed clumsily from adolescence to adulthood, dad was a sort of non-entity that flitted and fluttered at the edges. He attended my university convocation, but didn’t stick around for the celebratory dinner. He stood by us at mom’s funeral, appropriately sad, but left us to make the arrangements and deal with her estate. He was invited to Kate’s wedding, but she asked me to walk her down the aisle.


At Kate’s orders, I tackled the bedroom, while she disappeared for days under unreasonable hoards of wooden spoons, tacky coffee mugs, and canned goods. The stench of sickness still clung to his mattress and its clothes. Trash. The neglected novels on his bedside table were jacketed in dust and blanketed in crusty tissues. Trash. Drawers were mostly empty save for a rolling lip chap and a handful of loose change. The rest of the furniture appeared in fine health. Sell.


Rifling through his closet, I found only a few crumpled receipts in the pockets of his clothes. Donate. My climbing bewilderment and disappointment reached their peak. A lifetime of pretending not to care aside, we finally had unfettered access to the private life of our flighty father. I wanted to find a trunk of sentimental memories in his basement, or a shoebox of photographs labelled with hard-to-read names stuffed in the closet, or a stack of secret-littered journals on the bookshelves. But the modest 900 square-foot house rejected my foolish fantasies.


Last year, Kate had learned dad was unwell. “Oh, by the way,” she hesitantly tacked on to our annual phone call, “Dad’s been in the hospital.”


I paused, caught off guard by her mention of his existence and, further, her awareness of his illness. I’d wanted to know more—what was wrong, should we go visit, who was taking care of him, who called her—but my tyrant nephews were wailing in the background, and she took advantage of my silent beat to skewer the conversation. “He’s fine now, at home, I guess. Listen, don’t worry about it…” She trailed off as the cacophony of family anarchy rose with a mighty crescendo, and the line died.


I didn’t call back, and neither did she. The next time we spoke, she delivered a dispassionate dispatch. “He’s dead.”


Now we stand among life’s leftovers.


Keep. Empty.

Sell. Posted.

Donate. Boxed.

Trash. Bagged.


There is no heirloom-worthy jewelry. There are no old family photos. There aren’t any accolades or love letters, not even a final will and testament. Nothing in seventy years’ worth of accumulation sheds a shred of light on who dad was or why.


I watch my sister lug bags and boxes out the door, and wish there was someone left who knew him.


When the trucks are packed and the house echoes in vacant relief, we stand on the front porch and watch the realtor pound a For Sale sign into the frosty lawn. I mutter, “I should have gone to see him, you know, before…”


Kate turns and looks up at me with the most peculiar expression of incredulity. She puts her gloved hand on my arm. For a long quiet moment it feels like she’s trying to convey something important, but all she leaves me with is: “See you at Christmas.”


And then she’s gone without looking back, bounding down the cracked concrete towards her car with a lightness in her step I’ve never seen before.

January 24, 2021 20:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

227 comments

14:30 Mar 30, 2021

WOW!!! Talk about AN A-MAZING story! I like your style of writing Ms.Christina. Like for each prompt is the best prompt to do. And I Love how you made Kate a distant sister as well as their father EXCELLENT !!! I WISH YOU MANY MORE FIRST PLACES IN THE FUTURE AND I don't really have any stories written because I am not much of a writer but I am an excellent reader. The next prompt makes the story with major detail and kinda like mysteries type or thriller or you know what I mean. But Please follow My best friend Cj liggens and put in 🏳️‍🌈 t...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Andrea Couture
18:26 Mar 26, 2021

Great story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mark Celeste
04:29 Mar 09, 2021

What are the elements of creative nonfiction in the text?

Reply

Christina Marie
13:27 Mar 09, 2021

Not sure what you mean. This is a fully fictional piece.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Xavier Holland
17:37 Feb 25, 2021

What does the end mean?

Reply

Show 0 replies
14:35 Feb 24, 2021

this is so amazing, keep up the fantastic work

Reply

Show 0 replies
Darien Shaver
19:30 Feb 23, 2021

I loved your story! Well deserved!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sasha G
04:34 Feb 22, 2021

Beautiful story! I really like this line. "Poets hid, forgotten, behind the basement bar. "

Reply

Show 0 replies
Nora Ouardi
01:16 Feb 20, 2021

TELL ME WHY I JUST READ THIS NOW? Oh my god Christina, you knocked it out of the park with this one! I'm amazed!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Chloe Poole
03:21 Feb 19, 2021

omg this was soo good normally i don't like reading but this was something that kept my attention throughout the whole thing

Reply

Show 0 replies
Praise Abraham
08:33 Feb 13, 2021

Wow Christina!😍 You did an amazing job potraying the contrasting feelings the Main Character and her sister, Kate, had towards their late father. Sadness🥺 versus relief/indifference🙄. And I could deduce that their father was cryptic, somewhat detached from his family and very indecisive from the clues you gave concerning his several 'hobbies'. You aced this girl and totally deserved the win. Keep writing ✍️ and shinning. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Reply

Christina Marie
18:47 Feb 13, 2021

Thank you for reading :) I appreciate the kind feedback!

Reply

Praise Abraham
11:21 Feb 14, 2021

You're most welcome. 🥰😊☺️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Praise Abraham
11:21 Feb 14, 2021

You're most welcome. 🥰😊☺️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Mike Burgess
15:11 Feb 12, 2021

Superb writing, a worthy win. My head wasn't in the right place to enter this one, it would have been so easy to get it wrong. You tackled it beautifully. Well done.

Reply

Christina Marie
18:01 Feb 12, 2021

Thank you Mike!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
S. A.
21:58 Feb 11, 2021

I really enjoyed this story! I like how they seemingly comb through his life, but in reality, it is just different facets that they'll never be able to piece together. Nicely done! And congratulations on the win! :)

Reply

Christina Marie
22:56 Feb 11, 2021

Thanks for reading :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Emily Clark
17:33 Feb 11, 2021

Nice!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lori G
10:11 Feb 11, 2021

Congratulations, Christina! Such a lovely story!

Reply

Christina Marie
14:43 Feb 11, 2021

Thanks Lori!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Izzie Q.
03:37 Feb 11, 2021

congrats on being a recent winner! you totally deserve it and I think this story is AMAZING!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Erin Dixon
01:29 Feb 11, 2021

This is beautifully written. You brought us to that scene with you and your sister. Great job! Keep doing what you do!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Doug LeBlanc
21:15 Feb 10, 2021

Wonderful story! I loved it! It made me appreciate my own father that much more. Thank you!

Reply

Christina Marie
21:27 Feb 10, 2021

Thank you for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Julia C
17:23 Feb 10, 2021

This was absolutely incredible. The way I felt when reading it was nearly indescribable. Love the way you took this prompt and used it. Simply genius.

Reply

Christina Marie
19:02 Feb 10, 2021

Thanks so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Animesh Kulkarni
16:19 Feb 10, 2021

Nice story... Very natural flow with a natural end and still engaging. Putting those actions in italics was a nice idea. I might use that somewhere ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Hajra Maryam
15:08 Feb 10, 2021

totally deserved the win.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.