Contest #263 shortlist ⭐️

64 comments

Suspense Thriller Contemporary

One thing people often miss about life is that preparation is key. It’s all about planning. Getting each detail right. It makes all the difference. If you plan carefully, you succeed. It’s that simple. Whether it’s a big project or just a daily routine, being ready sets you apart.

"One venti brown sugar oat milk iced latte," she mutters, her eyes shackled to her phone. Bad-mannered, I think. It's a glimpse into the core of someone's soul- how they treat those serving them. It separates her kind from mine. She flicks her phone over the card reader, oblivious to anyone but herself. I lean closer and watch as she briskly taps her payment through, then slips into her emails.

"Name for the order?" the barista asks, lifting a hand to her visor to adjust it as it slowly shifts down her forehead.  

“Amanda,” she says, eyes still glued to her phone.  

I wonder why she lied. Every visit here this month, a new alias. Sometimes, she’s Ramona. Sometimes Samantha. Never Sarah. Is it a game? A brief escape from herself?

I order next. "Tall black coffee." No frills. It needs to be quick.

I stand behind her again in the pick-up line. She doesn’t notice when they shout Amanda. But why would she? It isn’t her name. Absorbed in her screen, her brow furrowed. She snaps back to reality only at the call of the oat milk latte.

"Becky," they call just as she sips her drink.  Our shoulders brush as I reach for my coffee. I’m not sure if it was on purpose or not. Maybe it was. Her touch sends a jolt of electricity through my body.

“Sorry,” I say to her, but she doesn’t notice the touch. Or me. She never does. She never has.

She pivots toward the door, her form melting into the bustling street. I'm right behind her, just a shadow among many. With its teeming sidewalks and endless distractions—phones glued to hands—this city's a stalker’s paradise. You could be followed for blocks, and you’d never know it.

It’s a wonder more people aren’t struck by cars. I've watched countless times as distracted pedestrians dance with traffic. Phones in faces. Oblivious. Reckless.

She’s on her way to work, ten blocks down, a luxury for a New Yorker. Her new proximity to the office is a rare privilege here. Some days she works from their home—though never on Mondays. Mondays are sacred, reserved for the chaos of new beginnings and piled-up tasks.

Later, she'll drift into Whole Foods, her routine unchanging. There, she’ll walk out with just a single bag of groceries—its cost likely surpassing what I spend on six bags at my local grocer. Her choices are always impeccably upscale: organic steaks, fresh corn on the cob, plump tomatoes. She enjoys cooking for him on Monday nights. I've noted his favorite items progressing along the conveyor belt at the checkout line, week after week. I wonder if she actually enjoys these foods or if she simply prepares what he prefers.

She raises her phone to her ear and begins to talk. I can only make out snippets of her conversation. A tangle of taxi horns and distant shouts muffle her words. Meet you tomorrow at seven. Dos Caminos on Broadway. I miss you too.

She's talking to him. Her pitch skyrockets, a telltale octave above her usual. Reserved for him. Perhaps he prefers the chirpier tones. Maybe my voice, a deeper alto, never quite matched his taste. He disliked my practicality, too—said I made everything a calculation, devoid of spontaneity. And then there was my cooking; he joked that I could burn water.

Or maybe it’s her laugh. Carefree. Infectious. A sharp contrast to my cautious smiles. She dances through life, light and unburdened. Everything I wasn't. Maybe that’s the sparkle he needed. The lightness. Maybe that’s why.

He’s been out of town since last week. He travels a lot. At least once a month. She must miss him terribly. A whole week, all by her lonesome. She's been dining with friends for dinner instead of with him. Substituting midday treadmill runs instead of their usual lunch dates. I think it’s probably good for them both—the distance. My mother always said that distance makes the heart grow fonder. My mother claimed it fueled desire. Maybe it does. Or maybe it just makes you forget.

She stops in front of a store, her gaze locked on the display through the window. I decelerate, maintaining a discreet distance—three storefronts behind. I mimic her, pretending to scrutinize a neighboring shopfront with equal intensity. It's a pet store, previously unnoticed by me. Chic leashes dangle next to whimsically shaped dog toys behind the glass, exuding an air of exclusivity. The prices, no doubt, are beyond my reach.

Her laughter pierces the air, drawing my attention back. I watch from the corner of my eye as she pushes open the glass door and disappears inside. I edge forward, anticipating the usual high-end fashion boutiques she frequents—Chanel or Prada. But as I near, my assumptions shatter against the unexpected sight.

Instead of luxurious accessories with exorbitant price tags, the window reveals an array of baby items. Booties. Bibs. A sleek, modern pram. Each item catches me completely off guard. The pieces of a new puzzle slowly click into place.

I peer through the window, my eyes fixated on Sarah as she sifts through a rack of baby clothes. The phone is abandoned now, a serene smile playing across her face. Jealousy gnaws at me, tightening its grip as she shares a laugh with the saleswoman. My hand instinctively brushes my belly, finding only the echo of emptiness.

I wonder if he knows yet. Or maybe she’s planning on surprising him at Dos Caminos tomorrow night. Perhaps she’s crafted a creative surprise—tucking the pregnancy test into a quaint gift box for him to discover. Or maybe it’s a tiny onesie she’ll hand over, her eyes sparkling with the news. She must be brimming with excitement, each giggle and glance weaving her deeper into the new life she's crafting with him—a life I'm not a part of.

I clutch my purse, pressing firmly against its contents. The familiar weight of the gun inside sends a rush of relief coursing through me.

It's a shame, really. She'll never experience motherhood. I almost feel bad for her.

My gaze finally breaks from her, and I turn away, blending into the crowd towards the subway. It's time to pack, to prepare. I'll make myself at home in her place, just for the day. I've been there before, under a different pretext. When I was with him. This time, my visit will be far less benign. Waiting in the shadows, ready for her return. Preparation is key, after all. Always.

August 14, 2024 19:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

64 comments

Zack Herman
16:29 Aug 24, 2024

Nice story that created a sense of foreboding. I've written a few from the POV of this type of character and it disturbs me how easy it comes at times. I look forward to reading more of your stories.

Reply

Kathleen Fine
15:22 Sep 11, 2024

Thank you, Zack!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tamara Shaffer
20:16 Aug 23, 2024

I thoroughly enjoy this story. (In fact, I'm writing one that's close to the same theme.) The thoughts that go through your character's head are realistic and interesting. The slow start, not knowing exactly where it's going, is compelling just the same. I loved the ending -- she having been there before -- just enough detail to be spooky.

Reply

Kathleen Fine
15:22 Sep 11, 2024

Thank you Tamara!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
17:16 Aug 23, 2024

Ooh, Kathleen, this is brilliant. I was wondering about the reasoning for the villanous turn, and when it happened, it didn't disappoint. Great job maintaining the suspense !

Reply

Kathleen Fine
15:23 Sep 11, 2024

Thanks, Alexis!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Story Time
15:36 Aug 23, 2024

Kathleen, I'm always excited to see you on the shortlist. Your writing is always so precise, but you do such a great job of letting us enjoy the story without making the craft behind it overly evident. Well done.

Reply

Kathleen Fine
15:23 Sep 11, 2024

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Elizabeth Hoban
15:30 Aug 23, 2024

I really loved how this story built! We know how it will end from the narrator's standpoint, but we hope it goes differently for Sarah. Maybe she will stay at a friends and then go straight to dinner the next day. I'm only thinking about the baby because Sarah, with her latte alias's sounds like a rude b**ch. Deserve to die - hmmm - maybe a knee-cap shot? But, I absolutely love that you have me thinking of the possibility of so many different endings. Extremely well-written which is such a treat because it allows the reader zip right through...

Reply

Kathleen Fine
15:23 Sep 11, 2024

Thank you Elizabeth!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
15:24 Aug 23, 2024

Congratulations on the shortlist!

Reply

Kathleen Fine
15:23 Sep 11, 2024

Thanks Trudy!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Elena Balaguer
12:13 Aug 22, 2024

Brilliantly written and paced and the build-up and the momentum, so well crafted!

Reply

Kathleen Fine
15:23 Sep 11, 2024

Thank you, Elena!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Julie Butler
10:06 Aug 22, 2024

This is great, but yes I was waiting to find out why she changed her name in the coffee shop too.

Reply

Kathleen Fine
15:23 Sep 11, 2024

Thanks Julie!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Carol Stewart
14:35 Aug 21, 2024

Great write! Your MC is everything I despise which is always good! Not sure why Sarah kept changing her name though, thought her obsessive stalker might have been sending anonymous messages but then she'd have been looking over her shoulder/nervy. Maybe it was just a game, an innocent one compared to the narrator's?

Reply

Kathleen Fine
15:24 Sep 11, 2024

Thank you, Carol!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
02:08 Aug 21, 2024

I love the use of "preparation is key" in both the beginning and end. Great work!

Reply

Kathleen Fine
15:24 Sep 11, 2024

Thanks, Josiah!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Yuliya Borodina
19:16 Aug 20, 2024

The voice reminded me of the "You" series, but you've turned it into your own story -- one of jealousy, obsession, and threat. The circular structure was chilling. Great work!!!

Reply

Kathleen Fine
15:24 Sep 11, 2024

Thank you, Yuliya!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hannah Lynn
17:46 Aug 20, 2024

Wow this left me hanging on every word. I was curious about the relationship at first but when it became apparent that this was “his” new girlfriend it really became scary. Nicely done!

Reply

Kathleen Fine
15:24 Sep 11, 2024

Thank you, Hannah!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
18:20 Aug 19, 2024

My kind of story! Very nice glimpse into the mind of someone who has simply come undone. Very creepy vibe throughout. Love. This.

Reply

Kathleen Fine
15:24 Sep 11, 2024

Thank you, Derrick!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Greydon Blight
14:44 Aug 19, 2024

This story's chilling portrayal of obsession and meticulous planning builds tension masterfully, leaving a lasting impact with its unsettling twist.

Reply

Kathleen Fine
15:24 Sep 11, 2024

Thanks, Greydon!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rachel Ermutlu
11:49 Aug 19, 2024

Great story. Very well written.

Reply

Kathleen Fine
15:24 Sep 11, 2024

Thanks, Rachel

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jessika Sims
09:23 Aug 19, 2024

I really wasn't expecting that ending! This is so well done 👍

Reply

Kathleen Fine
15:25 Sep 11, 2024

Thanks, Jessika!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Greg DeLaurier
18:36 Aug 18, 2024

Great story. Deceptively straightforward. We can all identify with jerks who use their phone while ordering. But detail builds on detail until we understand what's really going on, what the protagonist intends. We never know who 'he' is, but pretty clear what's going on. To me, this needs nothing more. And, thanks for liking my piece.

Reply

Kathleen Fine
15:25 Sep 11, 2024

Thank you, Greg!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Karen Hope
15:14 Aug 18, 2024

We are right in the head of the protagonist as her identity and the plot unfolds. Excellent use of voice. Chilling and engaging. Well done!

Reply

Kathleen Fine
15:25 Sep 11, 2024

Thank you, Karen!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
James Scott
04:30 Aug 18, 2024

I loved how this developed throughout, revealing more and more details to build the larger picture of what was going on. Held me captivated throughout!

Reply

Kathleen Fine
15:25 Sep 11, 2024

Thank you, James!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daniel P
22:01 Aug 15, 2024

Very addictive to read. Found myself concerned by the antagonists stalking, and at the same time sharing some of their distaste for Sarah. I loved how each new layer revealed, brought with it increased suspense and intensity, awesome final twist too.

Reply

Kathleen Fine
15:25 Sep 11, 2024

Thank you Daniel!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.