5 comments

Drama Contemporary Thriller

Chapter 1


Determined footsteps crunched through the mushy snow as the woman in a white cashmere coat hurried down the crowded sidewalk. Her long brown hair, pulled into a ponytail, swayed in the chilly air.

“Shouldn’t have worn heels today.” She slipped slightly in her pink boots before stopping in front of Sweet City Bridal. After a quick glance at her reflection, she entered.

The doorbell rang, and she froze. There, standing just feet away, was the last person she wanted to see—Ben Park. His dark-hooded eyes widened in shock.

“Hi! You must be Avery Summers?” A bubbly blonde interrupted, her smile bright.

Avery shook her hand. “And you must be Darcy Kendale.”

“That’s me! And this is my fiancé, Ben Park.”

“It’s a pleasure to meet you both,” she said, her gaze briefly flicking over him.

“I know you’ll make our wedding perfect!”

“I will do my best, of course.”

Darcy nudged him in the side when he said nothing.

“Yes, we’re lucky to have you, miss Summers.” He said, rubbing the back of his neck.

Avery’s heart raced, but her expression remained calm. “Let’s get started. There’s a lot to cover, and I want everything to be perfect for your big day.”

“Yes! I’m so excited to dive into the details!”

They moved to the sitting area as Avery’s thoughts raced. She hadn’t expected to see Ben again, not like this. But now, watching him with Darcy, and the shocked demeanor of seeing her, Avery realized fate had presented her with a perfect opportunity.


Darcy gushed about her “perfect” fiancé, her joy bubbling over, but Avery’s mind drifted back to her own wedding day—the day that shattered her world.

Ivory flowers adorned the church, filling the air with the scent of roses. Everything had been perfect—except Ben never showed up.

Hours had passed, whispers turned to panic. Then, back at their apartment, Avery found a letter on the kitchen counter. Inside, Ben’s familiar handwriting delivered the final blow:

Avery, I’m sorry. I’ve fallen for someone else. I know this may come as a shock to you and I know it’s cowardly to not say this to your face, but I could not see spending the rest of my life with you. It’s best if we go our separate ways. I wish you happiness.

He had left his key with the letter, a small, now-meaningless piece of their life together. Avery had stood there, still in her wedding dress. The veil crumpled on the floor, staring at the note. The empty apartment’s silence was crushing.

Fallen for someone else? His words twisted in her mind like a poison. Ben had abandoned her at the altar for another woman, who, just like she once did, had no clue about his true nature.

Laughter pulled her back to the present. Avery’s fingers tightened around her planner as Darcy rambled about Ben.

“We’re so lucky to have found each other,” Darcy gushed. “It was fate.”

“Really? How long ago did you two meet?” Avery said, her voice smooth.

Ben’s eyes darted to Avery, but she kept her gaze trained on Darcy.

“It’s been three long years. It took him way too long to propose.”

Avery let her eyes finally rest on him, and he stared back. “Oh, he took his sweet time indeed,” she looked back at Darcy. “Let’s get these plans in order so we can get you two down that aisle.”

Darcy launched into her wedding plans, beaming with excitement. Avery nodded, but her attention drifted to Ben. He sat silently, doing his best to look anywhere but at her. His uncomfortableness was an aphrodisiac.

While Darcy and Ben looked over one venue, she presented them, Avery pulled out her phone and sent a quick text with Ben’s info to a trusted friend and colleague with the simple words. Dig into his background and fast. It’s very important to me.

Her focus shifted to Ben. She knew how to play him, keeping their interaction casual, but letting slight gestures—smiles, glances—reel him in.

When Darcy left to take a call, Avery seized the moment. “No need to be tense,” she whispered. “I’ve moved on. No bad blood.”

Ben raised an eyebrow. “Really?”

Avery’s smile widened. “Really. Even though she is obviously the woman you left me for… seeing you again has brought back memories. We had some good ones, didn’t we?” she asked, leaning closer.

Ben smirked, intrigued. “We did, for sure. I didn’t think you’d let me off that easy.”

“I’ve chosen to let go of a lot,” Avery replied, her smile remaining cold.


Three evenings later, the streets were quiet and drier as Avery left her office. The corner was dimly lit where she stood, her phone pressed to her ear. “Victor, I need an update.”

His calm voice came through. “Good timing. I’ve found something. Let’s meet.”

Avery smiled. Victor was direct—just how she liked it. She gave him the address of a small cafe, and within half an hour, she sat in the far corner, waiting.

The door jingled softly as Victor entered, wiping of a few snowflakes from his bomber leather jacket. His sharp eyes found her immediately. Despite her usual guardedness, a warmth she hadn’t fully acknowledged stirred within her at his presence.

Victor was a sight. Unusual light caramel eyes framed by their beautiful monolid shape, chiseled jawline and shaggy, moussed back hair, that was dark as onyx. She found it difficult to not stare when he walked in.

He sat across from her. “You doing okay?”

Avery smirked. “You’re not here to ask about my feelings.”

Victor chuckled. “Right. But this has a lot to do with feelings since this guy is your ex from the little you have told me.”

Avery said nothing and glanced away from him.

“Ok… onto what I found.”

He tossed a mid-sized brown envelope on the table, placed a hand on top of it, then leaned in. “Ben’s not only with Darcy, but he also has a side chick.”

Satisfaction surged in Avery. Ben hadn’t changed—predictable and selfish as ever. “Who is she?”

Victor pulled out a photo from the envelope of Ben with a brunette, intimate. “Her name’s Jenna. Works at a marketing firm. They met at a hotel on Fifth over the last three days. Also turns out he works at Darcy’s father’s company. Rather, he is with her for connections, prestige, or money is yet to be seen, but if she finds out, I have a feeling it won’t be good for him.”

Avery’s fingers drummed on the table as she processed the news. Ben wasn’t just cheating—he was after a bigger goal, using Darcy for his own gain from the sound of it.

Victor placed a hand over hers. “I don’t know what you plan to do with this info, but maybe you should walk away from this, you know.”

Avery met his gaze, her voice steady. “I’m not walking away. Not until he feels some of what I felt and even if he would feel nothing, I will take away whatever he is after.”

Victor studied her, then leaned back. “Just don’t lose yourself, getting tangled in this web.”

A small, fleeting smile crossed her lips. She knew Victor cared for her, and maybe one day she’d let herself care back. But for now, she had a mission.

“Thank you,” she said, rising to leave.

“Be careful,” Victor called after her.

Avery walked into the chilly night air. Snow fell once again. She replayed the revelation in her mind—Ben was cheating again, and this time, it would cost him everything. Her smile became a sneer as she headed for home.


Chapter 2



The following week, Avery met with Ben without Darcy since she had to work and could not get away. He seemed confident enough in taking care of things, but when the floral arrangement Darcy had requested—blush roses and baby’s breath—arrived in gaudy purples and oranges, it was clear he had gotten it wrong.

“This isn’t what I asked for,” Darcy said, her face falling when she saw the bouquet. She turned to Ben, confusion in her eyes. “You were there when we talked about this, right?”

Ben shifted, looking annoyed but trying to brush it off. “It’s just flowers. Any will do, right?”

Darcy’s frustration deepened. Her eyes flicked to Avery, and she took her aside.

“Don’t worry, Darcy. We’ll get the right ones before the big day. I didn’t want to push when I saw he said different flowers than you had original mentioned, as you two seemed so sync’d.” She said smoothly. “But again, it’s an easy fix.”

Darcy sighed, clearly stressed. “I hope so. We have little time. Literally a few weeks.”

Avery noted Ben’s growing tension, watching the cracks in his composure widen. The wrong flowers weren’t her doing—Ben had simply not cared or mixed up Darcy’s taste with someone else’s. She’d seen it happen more than once in recent weeks. It was like watching his carefully curated façade crumble under its own weight.

Next came the invitations. Darcy had requested classic, elegant stationery, but the invitations that arrived were on cheap, glossy paper in a modern font she would never have chosen. When Darcy saw them, her reaction was immediate.

“These aren’t right,” she said, flipping through the stack, her voice sharp with disbelief.

Ben ran a hand through his hair, clearly frustrated. “I thought they looked fine.”

Darcy shot him a look, her patience fraying. “Fine? I told you the style I wanted. How could you not remember? And you can’t even pass this over on Avery because she shouldn’t have to question my fiancée with final decisions when you should know!”

Avery watched the tension build between them, each mistake driving the wedge deeper. Ben hadn’t paid attention to Darcy’s preferences. These weren’t small, innocent errors—they were symptoms of his divided attention, of a man juggling too many lies.

The same afternoon, Ben and Darcy were to meet her at the suit shop for his fitting.

“Darcy said she can’t make it.” Avery said, sitting crossed leg on the couch in the polar while the seamstress helped Ben into the second suit.

“Can we take a break?” he asked the seamstress.

After she stepped out, he sat next to Avery. “You’ve been a lifesaver,” he said, leaning closer than necessary. “Darcy’s been so busy with work, and now she is angry with me. You’ve handled everything perfectly.”

Avery smiled, her tone even. “It’s what I do. But you should really check with Darcy more often. She has very specific tastes.”

His hand brushed hers briefly. “Yeah, well, it’s nice having you around again,” he said, his voice dropping into a more intimate tone. “Reminds me of old times.”

Avery held his gaze for a moment, letting him think there might be more beneath the surface, but never giving him what he wanted. “Maybe,” she said, her voice teasing. She stood, keeping a distance. The push-and-pull would draw him in, but she knew how to bait him.


Meanwhile, Victor’s investigation uncovered deeper secrets. Later the next evening, they met at the usual place.

“Ben’s not just cheating, though I speculated as much,” Victor said, sliding a folder across the table. “He’s using Darcy. Marrying her secures his position at her father’s company with possible advancement.”

Avery’s grip on her cup tightened, though her expression remained unreadable. “So, he needs her?”

Victor nodded. “Yes. If Darcy finds out about the affair, it will most likely make him lose everything.”

“He’s using her as a steppingstone, same bastard, different year.”

Victor pulled out a few new photos he had of Ben’s other woman and him together and a document about the positions at Ben’s job he was after and more.

Avery looked at everything, then studied him for a moment, while he ate the food he’d ordered. There was something comforting in his presence, something steady. She wasn’t used to relying on anyone, especially after Ben’s betrayal, but with Victor, it felt different. Safe.

“Well, with all you have here, I think you could end his plans.” He said.

She nodded in agreement. “I don’t think she knew about me and now he’s doing the same to her...”

“Will you be, ok? You’re playing a dangerous game.”

She looked down, then back at him. “I know. But after learning, he played with my emotion as if they were nothing. He doesn’t deserve to win.”

For a moment, their eyes locked, and Avery felt the walls she’d built around herself crack. Victor wasn’t just an ally anymore; he was someone she could trust, maybe even care for.

He reached across the table, his hand easing over hers. “You’re not in this alone, ok?”

Avery didn’t pull away. Before she could fully register the emotions building within, her cell phone rang.

“It’s Ben.”

Victor rolled his eyes and stayed quiet.

“Hi Ben, did you need something? It’s after ten.”

She nodded, listening to him as Victor watched her intensely.


The next day Ben stood by her desk; his smile easy but his eyes searching

“What did you want to see me about, Ben? I have a lot to attend to this afternoon.”

Avery kept her expression neutral. He leaned a little closer.

“You always were the one who kept things together, but I never knew you would become this big-time wedding planner.” He said, his tone shifting into something more personal. “You look like you are doing very well for yourself, and you look damn good at doing it.”

She slid her cell phone closer, keeping it face down on a pile of files, stood and walked around her desk. “Are you flirting with me, Ben?”

“You know I’ve missed you, over the last two years…” he said, taking a step towards her.

“Yet you cheated on me and left me for Darcy?” she took a step back from his proximity.

He opened his mouth and followed her movement, but she cut him off before he could say more. “I’m here for Darcy, not for you.”

His smile faltered, but only for a second. “Of course. I just meant—”

“I know what you meant,” she replied, her voice firm. “She is my client. And you are from my past... I mean, don’t you love her?”

Ben’s face tightened, but he quickly masked it with a smile. “Love is a business of sorts. I think Darcy understands that.”

“I see.” She said, turning her back to him, facing her desk.

Before she could grab her cell phone, he hugged her from behind.

“Don’t you still feel anything for me, Avery? I can feel how fast your heart is beating. Just let me hold you.”

His breath tickled the back of her neck. Fury burned within her. She leaned her head forward and slammed the back of her head into his face.

He stumbled back as she turned to face him.

“What the hell, Avery!” he screamed, holding his nose.

The phone on her desk rang. “Yes.”

She replied, holding the button.

“There’s a Victor Jeong here to see you.”

“Send him back.”

She released the button, picked up her cell phone, and stopped the recording.

“You should go.”

He stepped towards her, fire in his eyes and a bit of blood dripping from his one nostril.

“Avery? Everything ok?” Victor asked, coming to stand between her and Ben.

“Don’t you dare,”

“Don’t I dare what? Tell Darcy? Would she believe me?”

He smirked, then glanced at Victor, who stood over him by a good four inches.

After straightening his suit, he looked at her once more. “Don’t you dare be late for your job as our wedding planner.”

“I plan to do my job to the fullest.”

He left.

“You ok?” Victor asked.

“I will be tomorrow.”


Delicate white and gold drapes adorned the wedding venue. Guests filled the rows, exchanging polite smiles, unaware of what was to come.

Darcy stood in front of the mirror, adjusting the lace on her dress. When Avery walked in.

“Are you ready?”

She nodded with tears in her eyes.

Ben stood at the altar and wiped his palms against his trousers. He scanned the faces in the crowd, his gaze drifting toward the entrance, waiting for Darcy. Avery walked up behind him and tapped him on the shoulder.

“I wish you the worst outcome for today. And I want you to know that it’s everything that you deserve.”

He turned, but she had left. The wedding march began, and he faced forward again. Darcy and her father appeared at the end of the aisle, but before they made it to Ben, the lights dimmed and projected behind Ben were pictures of him and his mistress. And over the intercom, everything he had said to Avery played for everyone to hear.

“Ben, what is the meaning of this?!” yelled Darcy’s father.

Tears streamed down Darcy’s face, but there was no look of shock, only hurt. The recording stopped.

“I know everything, Ben. I hate you!”

Darcy turned and raced from the room. Ben went to go after her, but her father grabbed him by the collar.

“Stay away from her, and I think you know what this means for you at work?” he said before following his daughter out.

The double doors to the church opened and out walked Avery, leaving Ben’s destroyed life in her wake.

Victor waited for her at the bottom of the church steps, leaning against his car.

“You want to grab some dinner?”

She smiled, a genuine smile for the first time in a long time. “How about some ice cream? I’m in the mood for something cold.”

October 04, 2024 06:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Trudy Jas
16:08 Oct 10, 2024

Hi Dannette, just so you know, Jonathan Foster's review was AI generated. No human thoughts were invoved in the making.

Reply

Dannette Tillery
18:32 Oct 10, 2024

Hi, I looked over it and knew right away which is why I didn't respond thanks or anything. I write short stories all the time and short story structure does not work the same as a full size novel nor novella. So I knew. Thank you for pointing it out as well. 🙂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aphrodite Lee
19:44 Oct 07, 2024

I wish I had your gift for short story telling! Bravo! Looking forward to reading more from you...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lynnette Tillery
15:21 Oct 05, 2024

I'm not a person who reads fiction . Reading this story makes me think I've missed out on so much. I felt as though I was pulled in feeling what they felt ,seeing what they saw. I really enjoyed the story so much so ,that I wanted it to continue. Well done Dannette 👍🏽

Reply

Show 0 replies
Unknown User
00:21 Oct 10, 2024

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.