0 comments

Holiday Romance High School

This is no ordinary fairy tale; there is no prince nor a princess. Just a boy and a girl. The sunrise that day was unique; it was different. The sun rays appeared in the sky one at a time and the cold breeze of the summer morning cools the place. Nick was enjoying this beauty when his eyes met her face; she was anything to his eyes but existent, her beautiful, deep blue eyes and her silky blonde hair and mostly her face and her body covered with the shiny rays of the sun; it was a magical moment. She was smiling; it felt to Nick like he had all the happiness in this world. He wanted this moment to last long, but as he was busy dazzling, her eyes saw him staring. She suddenly stood up and started walking fast; he wanted to run behind her, stop her but that would be creepy. He never believed in love at first sight, but the vibe and the feeling he got with her at the time of sunrise gave him a kind of pleasure and made his heart feel something. He wanted to meet her again but; it was summer so he could not search for her in school and also he had never met her there. Days passed by and, yet he was still lost in her dreams. One casual sunny day, he went to the old age care center for community work as a part of his holiday homework. As he reached there, he saw her face, the same beautiful face across the room; he hurried towards her and said, “Hello!! I am Nick, you might remember me from the park at the time of sunrise. Do you often come there?” The words came out faster than a bullet train; he was scared and so did he made her. She turned around and walked away; she did not even say hello. Well, it was not her fault; it was really creepy of him to just walk up and start talking. He went home and dug his face in the pillow; he was embarrassed and feeling stupid more than ever. He went to the care center again the next day and, this time, he gently said, “hey! I am Nick! What is your name?” Again she did not reply and simply poured her coffee and went. He felt stupid and crazy but decided not to give up until she answered. He went up to her every day, but she never replied. Sad as ever, he was sitting on a chair near the coffee table when an old lady arrived and asked if she could sit beside him, and he said sure. She said “You are Nick! Right?”, “Yes!”, “The girl you try to talk to every day is Lily; she is the sweetest and most innocent girl but she is also shy and does not get along with the people of her age because they used to bully her.” “BULLY HER!!! Why?? She is so sweet and pretty!!!” “Oh, darling!! She is indeed beautiful but, the reason is not her looks. When she was a little girl, she was stuck in a fire and; her mother tried to save her and died during the rescue. Therefore people call her a murderer. Also, her father is away in the army, so people tease her by saying she sent him as well. And about you, she thinks you are a little crazy and creepy.” “I just like her and want to be her friend. Get to know her.”  “Oh lord! He felt sad for her. First, she lost her mother and her father is far away and secondly, people are bullying her!! Oh! What must she be going through?” He thought. He did not go to the care center for a few days. It was hard being around her after knowing this. But one day, he gathered the courage and went to the center. He was with the old people playing bingo when he heard a soft voice calling him, “hello?? Nick right? Can I talk to you?” he said yes while jumping out of his seat. They went outside in the sun and being a gentleman, he let her speak first. She said, “Hey! I am Lily. I am heartily sorry for the weird behavior I have been giving you. I just thought that you might be like any other person bullying me but, it turned out that you had no such intention.” After taking a deep breath, he said “I would never-ever-ever torment someone. I saw you in the park and wanted to know more about you. Then one day, I saw you here and started introducing myself every day.” Interrupting him she said, “And I did not; I am so so so sorry and, for a token of friendship, I made brownies for you!! Do you like them???``''ya!! I totally love them. Thank you!!” She gave him the brownies and started to walk inside. He called her, she turned, he said “do you like to hang out sometimes??”,”SURE, I thought you’d never ask.” Since that day, they have hung out a lot. Sometimes at his house and sometimes at her apartment. It was fun both ways; she was so nice and crazy and great and he was charming and gentlemanly and nice. Now he was sure that he was in love!!! This feeling was so great and he decided that he would tell her that he loves her. They were gonna meet at the coffee shop today and he arrived early very eager to tell her his news. She came in happy as always and sat next to him and before he could say something she said “I have news!!!” “WHAT?!” he impatiently asked so that he could tell her his. She placed a paper on the table and began “I GOT ACCEPTED AT HARVARD!!” Wow, that was a bummer. He felt that someone had placed a flower pot on his heart well in this case, it was an acceptance letter from Harvard. She was excited and thrilled. The only words that came out of his mouth were ‘great’. Nick was so heartbroken because he did not want to come in between Lily and her dreams, so he had to keep his mouth shut. He did not talk to Lily for days and it was almost the end of the summer holidays. Over there, she was sad and confused. She did not know why he was not talking to her or not answering her calls. She could not focus on anything and there was this strange feeling in her heart that she was unaware of. On the last day of the summer holiday, Nick went to the park still, not talking to Lily. He reached there in the evening and sat under a beautiful tree; and just enjoyed the moment. Lily was passing by when she saw him sitting there. She rushed towards him, and when he saw her, he stood up and, she hugged him tight and after pulling away said, “why didn't you answer my calls. I was so tense; were you okay; are you okay; Oh my god! are you upset with me. I am sorry” and, it was then that he pulled her into a kiss. His lips touched hers and it was a magical moment for both of them. “I love you”, he said; “ I have been in love with you since the moment I saw you laying there with the sun rays on you; I would have said this earlier but I did not want to come between you and Harvard.” She did not say a word and pulled her in for another kiss. The sky was purple with a shade of pink and blue and, under a tree, a boy and a girl were kissing. 

June 25, 2021 16:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.