0 comments

Kids

                                 The Wish.

It felt smooth, like silk, but solid and unmoving. He allowed his long, narrow fingers to explore it. There were no rough edges, no fashioned corners. The tips of his fingers tingled slightly, as they moved gently and slowly over it. It was, he decided, a most pleasant and calming experience. His quiet moment was interrupted by a familiar voice. Debbie. “ So, are you settling in?” she asked loudly from the kitchen. “Uh-huh” he replied, still engrossed in his digital manouveres. He heard the sound of a cork being popped. “ Dinner’s ready.” she announced. He replaced the object in it’s cloth bag and slipped it silently into the desk drawer.   

Debbie had cooked his favourite meal, spinach and aubergine lasagne, heavy with garlic and basil, just a hint of oregano. It was a celebration dinner of sorts, to mark their three year relationship. They had plans, big permanent sort of plans, like marriage, children, a house in the country, but that was before the accident.

He complimented her on the lasagne, as she knew he would and she said the wine he chose was perfect, not too full bodied, and velvety on the palate. She  didn’t have time to make dessert, she said and would chocolate mint ice-cream be ok? He nodded his agreement. Her hand reached across the small table and found his. He held it briefly, then brought it to his lips and imparted a feather light kiss on her fingers.  “ Sometimes Debbie, I wonder why you still bother with me, you know? I mean, it’s not like I’m any use anymore, more of a burden if you ask me.” She gave his hand a squeeze. “ Stop it Bill, I won’t listen to that kind of talk, especially tonight.” She sounded hurt. “ I’m sorry,” he said, “it’s just that tonight kind of brings it home to me, what we had, what might have been and ….” “ Listen,” Debbie cut in, “ Sure, some things have changed, I’ll admit that, but I love you, and I want us to be together always. So, maybe our plans have changed a bit, but we still have a future, perhaps not quite the way we planned…..” Bill drained his wine glass and let out a long sigh. “ It’s no use Debbie, let’s stop pretending. He stated coldly. Debbie stood up and gathered up the plates and cutlery. “ I’ll get the ice-cream.” She said, a tremor in her voice.

They had their coffees seated on the old leather couch. Bill had insisted on bringing it to this apartment.  The leather was worn out, scratched and discoloured and torn in places. He covered the unsightly tears with a knitted cream throw.

After the accident, Bill sensed a change in their relationship. Living with Debbie was not like before. She meant well, he knew that.  She was kind and patient and tolerant of his mood swings and bouts of rage but he felt more like a dependant, someone to be pitied, not like her lover. She worried and fussed. The more she did for him, the more he realised the limit of his capabilities. This frustrated him, as he felt he could, given the chance, be more independent. Whenever he tried to talk about it, Debbie shut him down. A silent rage bubbled inside him.

One morning Bill got a call from his friend James. He and James had been friends since college. James was a collector of antiques. He had built up a very successful business and travelled often in search of rare finds. James told Bill that he was going away for three months and did Bill know anyone that would be interested in a short term lease on his apartment? “Yes, I know just the person.” Bill replied, his voice almost falsetto with excitement, “Me!” There was a short pause before James said, “ Jesus Bill, are you serious? Look buddy, nothing would make me happier than to have you stay at my place but……”        “ But you don’t think I’m able to manage on my own, right? Please James, please, give me this chance. You don’t understand what it’s been like for me, Debbie’s wonderful and God knows how I would have managed without her. The thing is, I need to get my life back, even in some small way.” James was silent for a moment, then said, “ Do you think Debbie will go along with your idea?” “ Nope,” Bill answered, “ but I can’t go on like this, you’re my only hope, so what do you say?” James blew out a long breath. “ Well, I suppose if it means that much to you, we could give it a try. Will you promise me something Bill?” “Anything, old friend.” “If things are not working out, let me know ok? “ Sure thing.” Bill said, and added, “ but I don’t think you’ll be hearing from me. I have a really good feeling about this.”

That evening, when they were having their meal, Bill told Debbie about his plan. She told him that he was crazy, out of his mind and it wasn’t going to happen. She wanted to call James. Bill remained calm. When she had vented her opposition completely, Bill quietly and firmly stated that there was nothing wrong with his mental capacity and his mind was made up. He was determined to shake off the useless person cloak and take the first shaky steps to independence. He also told Debbie that he needed her support, and if she really loved him….


Two weeks later, Bill moved into James’s apartment. Debbie insisted on having a spare key, so she could check on him. She got in the habit of dropping in on her way to work and returning after work to make them both dinner. As soon as she had tidied up after the meal, she went home. Bill said she could stay over anytime, but she declined. He didn’t understand why and he never asked.

He found it tough at first, finding his way around the place, and coping with the ups and downs, the many accidents and incidents that almost broke his will. One morning, while he sat by an old desk, he allowed his hands to skim the surfaces. He assumed it to be a valuable antique. It had little brass rings for handles on the slim drawers. Curious, he pulled on one of the brass rings and the drawer opened. Inside he found a small, cloth bag with something solid in it. He withdrew the bag from the drawer and undid the tie. Something cool and smooth fell into the palm of his left hand. He ran his fingers over it and had immediately felt a tingling sensation. Touching this object made him feel peaceful, calm and free. Often during the day, he would go to the desk and take out the object and allow it’s soothing powers to wash over him.

They sat side by side on the couch, each hugging their coffee mugs. Bill thought that Debbie had a cold, she seemed to be sniffing a lot. He reached over and put his arm around her shoulder. “ Do you know why I wanted to bring this battered old couch here?” he said. Debbie didn’t answer, but emitted another sniff. “ I remember the day we bought it,” he continued, “it was at the back of James’s shop, ready for the scrap. We both loved the softness of the worn brown leather and we said we’d have it restored.” Bill chuckled. “ Do you remember the look on James’s face when we asked how much it was? Debbie said she did. “ That old thing? You can have it,” said James, “ I’d almost pay you to take it away, it takes up so much space here.” “We made all our plans sitting on this old couch Debbie, our dreams are a part of it now and even though the dreams are gone, I’ll always have the couch.”

Debbie cried, big, deep sobs. Bill held her close. He didn’t want to hurt her, didn’t want their relationship to end, but  because he loved her, he wanted to set her free. “Look Debbie, coming here has taught me a lot and sure, I’ve proved that I can be somewhat independent, but…I’ll never work again, at least not as an architect.”  Debbie got up from the couch. He heard her footsteps fading away towards the kitchen, then return. “ I guess this is goodbye Bill.” She walked towards the door and before closing it said, “You’re making the wrong choice here Bill, but it’s your life.”

That night Bill couldn’t sleep. His mind was troubled. He felt bad about the way he had treated Debbie. Her departing remarks echoed in his brain, until they screamed at him, WRONG CHOICE, WRONG CHOICE, WRONG CHOICE… He got out of bed and went to the desk and removed the cloth bag with the object in it and brought it back to bed. Placing the object on his chest, he ran his fingers over the smooth surface, until he felt a gentle tingling. He closed his eyes. “ God, if only….I wish…. Then he fell asleep.

Bill thought he was dreaming. He saw a ray of sunlight streaming through a gap in the curtains. Staring straight ahead into the living room, he saw the desk and the open drawer, from where he had taken the cloth bag before drifting off to sleep. He felt something cool and solid under his right hip. He reached under the duvet and found the object. Bill gasped. Not only could he feel the object, he could see it. Shaking his head in disbelief, he closed his eyes, rubbed them, then slowly opened them. It was incredible. Last night he went to sleep a blind man, now, somehow, his sight was restored. He touched the object only this time there was no tingling, nothing, except the cool, smooth surface. He reached for his phone, he had to call Debbie. After several rings, he got her message minder and left a brief message; “ Call me, it’s urgent.”

Bill saw his face in the mirror for the first time since the accident. There were scars on his cheeks, where the slivers of glass had embedded and been removed. Otherwise, he grinned, I’m pretty much the same, hair receding, body a bit out of shape, but not bad. He washed and shaved and got dressed.

He was scrambling eggs and humming happily when Debbie rushed in. She had heard his message and thought something terrible had happened. When she saw him cooking and heard him humming she became angry. “If this is your idea of a joke Bill, it’s a very cruel one.” she said, staring at his back. Bill turned around. “My God Debbie, I’d forgotten how beautiful you were. Take a seat, breakfast is up.” Debbie stood frozen like a statue, her mouth half open and stared at Bill. “ Yes Debbie, I can see again. I don’t know what crazy, miraculous thing happened while I slept but when I opened my eyes this morning, I could see. This changes everything. Forget what I said last night Debbie.” He led her to a chair and sat her down.   “ I’ve been thinking, why don’t you call in sick today? I want us to spend the day together, after all, it’s not everyday that a man gets his sight back. Bill waffled on about future plans, calling his old boss, going back to work, visiting a jewellers and looking at diamond rings…… Debbie was speechless.

They spent an idyllic day together and later that night made love on the old leather couch. The following day Bill got a call from James. He said he was cutting his trip short and coming home at the end of the week. It had been a wild goose chase, the thing he was after had already been sold. He sounded dejected. “ No worries buddy,” Bill told him, “I’m ready to move out.” James sighed with relief. “ Thanks Bill, I wasn’t sure how you’d take it. You’re welcome to stay till you find another place…see you on Friday.” “You bet” Bill replied, “and be prepared for a surprise.”

Bill watched as the taxi pulled away from the kerb. James lifted his case from the path and walked towards the entrance of the apartment block. Bill was standing beside the open apartment door as James approached. “I guess you heard the taxi.” he said, smiling at Bill. Then he stopped, stood still and stared at his friend. Bill moved nearer to James and put his arms around him, clenching him in a huge embrace. “Not only did I hear it, I saw it.” Bill stated, a broad smile on his face. James shook his head. “That’s incredible, how? when?… Bill led him into the apartment. He poured two neat whiskies and handed one to James. They toasted Bill’s miracle. “You see that desk over there?” Bill said, pointing with his index finger, “ I found this cloth bag, with a smooth object inside.” A look of terror came over James’s face. He raised his hand to interrupt Bill. “Please tell me you didn’t touch it.” he said. “ See, that’s what I’m trying to tell you,” Bill continued, “ it felt so good to touch, sent a tingling through my finger tips. I took it to bed one night, after I told Debbie that we were through, I couldn’t sleep and I thought it might calm me down. Next morning, my sight was back. There must be some kind of magic in it.”

James was pacing the floor, muttering curses. His face was pale with fear. “Bill, this is important, can you remember what you were thinking about while you touched the object?” “ I think I was wishing, yeah, wishing I hadn’t been so hard on Debbie and maybe wishing that I could see again, I don’t remember, I fell asleep.” Bill knocked back the rest of his whiskey. James sat quite still opposite him. “You ok James?” “You look pretty shook.” Bill asked.

“The object you touched is called a Djalah. It is one part of a pair, the other is a Djolah. They are powerful, ancient crystals that were used by the Sumerians thousands of years ago. Together, the two crystals work harmoniously, but apart….. I heard from one of my contacts that the Djolah was found and was  for sale…that’s why I took off, but someone had beaten me to it.”

Bill laughed, long and loud. “ C’mon James, look at me, I’ve got my sight back, and my girl, all thanks to the crystal. What harm can it possibly do? Anyway, it’s safely tucked up in it’s little cloth bag and back in the drawer.”

Bill stood up. “I better get going.” he said, picking up a backback from the old leather couch.  James got  up and walked with Bill to the door. “ Thanks again buddy,” Bill said. “ Take care,” James replied, his voice serious.

Bill decided to walk back to their apartment. It was a warm and sunny evening. He passed a florist shop, then stopped and doubled back. He would surprise Debbie with a bouquet of freesias, her favourite. When he got home, he took a shower and changed his clothes. Taking a can of beer from the fridge, he sat down in an armchair. Debbie was late. He guessed being a Friday evening, traffic was probably heavy. He flicked the tv on and watched the news roll out, same old stories. He began to nod off. “Breaking news,” the anchor was saying. Bill only half listened. “ at the Peyton Biolab….two people dead, several more injured….” Bill sat up, jolted back to life. Debbie! She worked at the Peyton Biolab.. Jesus, no, Oh God, no, no,no! He grabbed his phone and called her. It just kept ringing. The news bulletin said that the injured were brought to St Catherine’s hospital. Bill ran out on to the street. It took him ten minutes to get a taxi.

It was mayhem at the hospital. Ambulances were still arriving, their sirens screaming. Crowds of people crammed the entrance, each searching for a loved one. When he got through, a hospital official asked him who he was looking for. He had a clipboard with pages full of names. He found Debbie’s and directed Bill to the first floor. Bill approached the nurse’s station and asked about Debbie. The young nurse led him to a room and opened the door. Debbie lay in the bed, her head and face bandaged and an iv line attached to her left arm. Bill said a silent prayer of thanks, as he stood by the bed. Debbie moved slightly as Bill took hold of her hand.  “Thank God you’re ok Debbie, for one awful moment I thought….”  He could see her eyes through the slits in the gauze.  She motioned with her hand for him to come closer. He voice was very quiet. “ Bill,” she whispered, “ I can’t see.”

May 29, 2020 19:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.