2 comments

Drama Mystery Adventure

“Why don’t you sit down?” the lady said to the boy, a survey officer, after a cursory scrutiny of his identity card that he showed to her. 

“Thank you!” The boy said and sat down in the waiting room of a lawyer’s firm. It seemed like a humble office. Not exquisite like some other firms he had visited in the past.

“I am Mindy, receptionist of the firm, and also Mr. Mani’s secretary. I am afraid but Mr. Mani is busy and he prefers to meet people only through appointments,” she said.

“I can ask you to book an appointment but this survey is very important and it would take only 5 to 10 minutes of Mr. Mani; it is for my organisation that urgently wants to publish this report! I hope you understand,” he said, pleadingly. Mindy realised he looked more young as he pleaded. 

“Ok, take a seat and make yourself comfortable while I will do my best to see if I can get Mr. Mani to meet you.”

The boy sat down and waited. It was almost 10 minutes. He looked around the place. There were two CCTV cameras but he could tell that they were dummies. He found it foolish for companies to not invest in basic security. 

Just then Mindy returned with a smile.

“You are in luck! His next appointment just got cancelled, so he can see you now,” she said.

The boy got up and followed her to her boss’s room. It was splendid and very huge too for a small office they rented or owned. It was as if 75 percent of the office space was taken by the boss for his room, which was pretty plain otherwise with just a few cupboards on one side, a television right across his table, and a round table with two chairs and a few magazines on the opposite side.

“Yes, what kind of survey are you doing?” Mr. Mani asked, without making any small talks.

“I work for SSGO, a non-profit company that helps with the domestic cases for those who cannot fight their own cases, those who are basically from the economically weaker sections of the society. Our survey is just to find out the willingness of solicitors who could fight cases for such causes,” the boy said.

“Hmm, I see. So let’s begin,” Mr. Mani said, without wanting to waste any time. He wore his specs that were kept on the table and hinted at Mindy to also sit down.

The boy passed him the thick questionnaire which was inside a file. 

Mr. Mani looked at the file and nodded his head. He then said, “Mindy, you should be able to assist the gentleman here! These are really plain questions!”

The boy looked disappointed.

“Don’t worry, Mindy is very competitive and has been with the firm for the past four years, and she is not going anywhere!” he said with a grin, looking at Mindy, who smiled back as a courtesy to her boss. 

“But Mr. Mani, it needs your opinion especially if you look carefully at the last few pages!” the boy said with a mild protest.

Mr. Mani turned to the last page, and suddenly his eyes began to shut.

“What’s happening?” Mr. Mani said, and suddenly his head dropped on the table.

Mindy got up, all worried.

“What is wrong with him? I should be calling the doctor,” she said.

“Yes, maybe he has been overworking,” the boy said, also sounding terrified.

Mindy rushed to the reception to make a call. She returned after a few minutes. The boy was trying to retrieve the survey file, which was under the man’s head on the table.

As soon as he looked at Mindy, he said in his apologetic tone:

“I am so sorry, but I do need my file back, if you do not mind.”

“Yes, it is okay!”

“And I must leave too. I hope you have called for the doctor,” he said.

“Oh yes, do not worry. There is a doctor just two buildings away, so she should be here in less than five minutes!”

“He is breathing, so he should be fine,” she said as she checked her boss’s pulse.

“Do tell him not to overwork, and I will come again next time but after taking an appointment from you,” he said as he walked out of the door.

Mindy nodded her head.

Just as the boy got down from the building, he saw a lady standing by the lift.

This must be the doctor, he said to himself as he walked out of the building.

* 6 hours later*

The boy heard a beep on his phone. There was a notification on his messenger.

You would have got us in trouble, you know?

How?

The chloroform, you idiot! It was so strong!

If it was, then you would have fainted too! :p

Ha ha! You’re right, actually! He got up just as you left!

What about the doc?

She couldn’t tell! Just checked his pulse and asked him to slow down at work! He is taking all week off next week!

So can you!

No, you idiot! It just means that I stay while he is away! :( 

Haha, that rhymes! :p

It sure does! Anyway, did you “do the job”?

How can you doubt my capabilities!

Sowieeee! Let’s meet tomorrow! thank you for everything! :)

Yup! Goodnight now

Nighty night

He closed the app and his phone with a grin on his face.

Mindy did the same. The only difference was that her grin was wider than his. What she could not do in the last four years, her best friend did it in just a few minutes. He had managed to open Mr. Mani’s locker, take out the paperwork that he had made Mindy sign forcefully, keeping her under a 10-year contract! She was helpless four years ago, she pleaded for a two-year contract but he knew how to keep the ball in his court. He had promised in return a strong trial for her mother, who was fighting an acrimonious divorce battle with Mindy's step-father. She lost. But the contract was to be abided. That’s what was in the contract’s point number 4.7.

Of course, Mindy had done her bit too; she had deleted all the soft copies of her contract from her vulture-like boss's laptop. 

She could sleep well now, peacefully, and dream of her pending freedom.

August 28, 2020 18:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

VJ Hamilton
20:18 Sep 16, 2020

Hello, VJ here from Critique Circle. I enjoyed your story - lots of action! It was told not just with regular dialog but also through texting - a nice change. May I make one small suggestion? You could have introduced some of the final info about Mindy early on, for example, saying "She sighed, thinking of the paperwork that her boss had made her sign forcefully, keeping her under a 10-year contract." (And maybe even some more info) That way, the reader's sympathy for Mindy arises early on. Great job, keep writing!

Reply

A. Arima
13:43 Sep 18, 2020

Thank you VJ for reading my story and your constructive feedback. Your suggestion is very helpful. I will keep it in mind for my future writings. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.