A WELCOME LIKE NO OTHER

Submitted into Contest #96 in response to: Write about someone welcoming a stranger into their home.... view prompt

1 comment

Friendship Inspirational Adventure

A WELCOME LIKE NO OTHER

In 2015, I had just become an ambassador of the Parliament of Religions, whose head office is in Chicago, USA. This was a community whose work I had admired since childhood and it just seemed like a natural progression that I would be affiliated with it someday. Ever since I had heard of the first Parliament which took place in 1893, it had been my dream to attend at least one conference. I am someone who lives from pay-cheque to pay–cheque and although I had dreams of attending the conference, I never thought that it could ever be attained. However, as luck would have it, I was meant to attend, even though I lived in South Africa, with no passport, no visa or money to buy a plane ticket.

As ambassador’s we had to promote the work of the Parliament by hosting an event in our community, which I did, and I suppose the Parliament was so impressed with my work that a generous sponsor donated a round ticket to Salt Lake City, where the 2015 conference was to be held. I was over the moon that this had fallen into my lap, even though I still stressed that I may not get my passport in time, when I had my passport I worried that I would not get my visa in time, when I got my visa, I stressed about accommodation . In 2015 the South African Rand was R13.00 to the dollar and even the cheapest accommodation was exhorbitant for someone like me. I wrote to the Parliament with the hope that I may find cheap accommodation for the conference, where I was struck by another bout of luck.  Salt Lake City was a community of very charitable people who opened their homes to people attending the conference, for free.

The first person I had contacted  (Tamara) on the list, said I could come and stay with her, the only discomfort I would have to contend with was that she was a vegan mormon. Before I had contacted her, I was worried about the fact that it was navratri and during the week of the conference I would be eating only veg. To me it was a blessing that she was a vegan, as for the mormon bit, I had no religious prejudices, besides, I had never met a mormon before and I was looking forward to meeting her.

I used to chat with Tamara on whatsapp before I reached (she was going to be my host for the week of the conference), we had arranged that she or her brother-in-law would pick me up from the airport and take me to her house. On the day that I had arrived in Salt Lake City, she had to attend a meeting and her brother in law was also tied up. I had no way of contacting either one of them as my phone had not been set up with a roaming facility and I did not have a local sim card. I waited at the airport for an hour, everyone who  had arrived on my flight had left for their accommodation and I did not have Tamara’s address, as we had arranged that she would pick me up. I just sat at the airport, which was almost deserted, and prayed that she would show up. An hour later Tamara’s sister (Tanya) came straight to me and apologised for being late. I don’t think I had ever been so grateful to see a stranger in my life, as I had been that day to see Tanya. The first thing I noticed, when we got to Tamara’s house was that there were no fences and her sister just opened the door and went inside, without a key. Tanya said that Tamara had prepared lunch for me, and that since I was the first to arrive I had a choice between the three bedrooms. Tanya showed me around the house and left for her own house. I was shocked beyond belief, that Tamara had such trust in a stranger.  I felt touched that there were still people in this world who could open their homes and hearts to strangers from half way across the world. 

I chose the smallest room, with a ¾ bed, I suppose I fell in love with the simplicity of the room, the curtains, sheets and floor were white, with a tinge of blue, which gave the room an airy beach like feeling. I had a long hot shower and went to lie down, before I knew it I fell off to sleep.  When I woke up, I saw Tamara quietly marking exam scripts with the TV on soft, because she did not want to wake me up. I suppose the jet lag had been worse than I expected, I was asleep for about 3 hours. It was the most peaceful sleep in a stranger’s house I had ever had. Tamara and I got along like a house on fire, she was like the big sister I never had. She even scolded me for not eating when I got in, which instantaneously made me feel like I was at home.

Tamara had also invited two more women to stay with her for the conference, one from Arizona who followed the Bahai faith, and another Russian lady who now was a Shaman. Being from South Africa, I am used to being amongst people of different faiths, but I had never met a Shaman, Bahai or mormon before, I was excited to be in this setting for the next few days. The night that I arrived we drove back to the airport in Salt Lake City from Provo to pick the other two women up. Although all the women I stayed with were much older than me, it felt like a reunion of a group of long lost friends.

I had no idea how I would get to the conference the next day, thankfully the other two women had a plan. I had never travelled by train in South Africa, and here I was in America, going from Provo to Salt Lake City using the train and then the tram in and around Salt Lake City, this was an adventure that would stay with me for the rest of my life. Although I had made it to the conference I did not have lots of spending money. There again, I felt the hand of God was with me. Tamara used to make breakfast for us during that week and pack snacks for the day, for which I was grateful beyond words. Angelina (the Bahai lady) used her card, which she got a discount on for the train fares, so I paid only a portion of the original price.

I believe that throughout my trip to Salt Lake City God walked with me. Besides the lovely breakfast and snacks that Tamara packed, a free vegetarian lunch (langar) was provided by the Sikh community of America for everyone that attended the conference.

Tamara had not only provided us with a room each, but she herself slept on a coach in her lounge just so that we were comfortable. The conference had been in October and when we got back from the conference, which would normally be around 12pm, Tamara would have hot chocolate, coffee and baked goods for us before bed. I do not believe that even my own family had treated me with such dignity as this woman, who did not care that I was an Indian, South African. Before my trip, I had no clue where I was going or how my stay would turn out, but I had bought gifts for the woman who had graciously opened her home to me. On the day before I left, I offered to pay for my stay but she refused to take any money, and all she said was that “I hope when I come to South Africa one day I could come and stay with you”. We spoke that night about our religions, family and our lives in general. Leaving Tamara’s home on the last day felt as though I was leaving my best friend behind and we parted with tears running down our face.

As much as I cherish my experience at the conference, I will never forget the time when Tamara opened her home to a stranger. I hope to someday give that kind of experience to someone, that they may pass it on and cherish it forever

June 04, 2021 18:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Driss Boutat
14:21 Oct 03, 2021

our world needs 1 trillion of Tamara. 🙏 thanks for this story

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.