2 comments

East Asian Fiction Inspirational

 "Baba, I want to say something." Said Arij hesitantly as her father was a serious man sitting at the head of the table.

 " Please have your meal quietly." Her mother interrupted hurriedly. "Pass me that salad." She added with a stern look and hold the plate from Arij. 

 "Is there something important to say?" Asked her father while having a bite of cucumber. 

"Nothing special. She wants to visit her friend's home. And I think it's not appropriate to visit there frequently." Answered her mother, avoiding the eye contact.

 "Yes, your mother's right." Her father nodded. Arij looked at her mother in astonishment, who was already staring at her.

"Ammi!" Uttered Arij. 

"We will discuss it later on." Her mother ended the topic. "Chew your food properly, Ali." Said her mother to her younger brother who devoured the full spoon of rice. 

Sadness clouded Arij's features. She took a sip of water. She lost her appetite but had to stay here til the dinner is over. 

"Clear away all the dishes." She heard her mother's voice. She lifted her head, looked around, everyone had taken their meal. She put the dishes in the sink. 

"We are not your enemies, Arij. We want you to have a peaceful life." Said her mother politely as she put the curry in an airtight jar and placed it in the refrigerator. 

"I also want to give you a comfortable life." Arij replied.

"What do you mean? Are we living a miserable life?" Arij's response irked her mother. Arij took a deep breathe. "But that's not enough. we should struggle for more." 

"Behave yourself Arij." Her mother turned red. "You should be thankful that you are provided with shelter and have meal three times a day. What else do you want?" Her mother got irritated with her stubbornness. She wanted her daughter as an obedient girl who always try to make others happy. 

"I'm grateful for all this but life isn't about household chores, eat and sleep. I want to chase my dreams." Arij shared her views as she washed the last bowl and put it in the dish rack. 

"Oh, that dreams of you! Harness your rebellious thoughts, it could create troubles in our lives." Her mother yelled at her but then immediately realized that someone could hear their conversation.

 "I want to be settled in my life, want to help Baba, want to help my siblings to have higher education." Arij responded and moved towards the table.

"What example are you setting for your siblings? Your rebellious steps would damage their personalities as well." Her mother expressed her fears, she turned no stone unturned to make Arij step back from her decision. 

"To work in an office isn't a rebellious act." Argued Arij. 

"It is. Our relatives consider it obnoxious. No girl in your family ever did a job in any institute." Her mother warned, who seemed much worried about the society and its norms. "If you want to do so, do it after marriage with the consent of your husband." She suggested.

"Yeah, Aunt yasmin said these words to her daughter who is now captivated in her house. Her only wish was to study further but now she is serving her husband's family." Arij replied harshly. 

"I am also a housewife. What do you think am I not happy with this all?" Asked her mother and then added "Don't make life difficult for us all. Be happy in what you have." She advised and then pointed at the shelf. "Clean it, and then go to your bed." She ordered as she left the kitchen. 

"I am not that kinda girl who gives up." Arij murmured. She took a napkin and cleaned the shelf. She washed the napkin as she knew mother will yell at her if she finds this napkin untidy. Before leaving, she glanced at the kitchen to make sure everything was at its proper place. Instead of her bedroom, she laid down on the sofa at the corner of the living room. She had to manage somehow for that interview. She picked up the phone, dialled her friend's number. It's ringing. 

"Yes, What's up?" A cheerful voice came from the other side.

"Please will you rearrange the interview timings?" Asked Arij reluctantly. 

"Are you serious, Arij? You must be there on time." Her friend shocked. 

"I tried to talk to Baba but mother interrupted. She thinks he will get angry and this would be not good for us all." Arij explained her situation.

"hmm, so you've to first convince your mother." Her friend suggested.

" This seems a bit difficult." Arij answered in a brittle voice. "Don't lose hope. Keep trying, your parents will support you one day. This isn't your last chance. You'll get many opportunities in future." Her friend tried to pull her together. "Yeah, but I want to avail this chance." She halted. "ok mother's coming, talk to you later." She turned the phone down and put her shoes off. 

"You are still here. Go to your room." Said her mother in a low voice. "I am not feeling sleepy." Arij grimaced. Her mother sat next to her and hold her hand. "We educated you for your own good. You have done graduation, that's enough, now focus on household activities. Sooner or later you have to get married and look after your home."

Arij rolled her eyes. " but Ammi, there is a lot more than to just get married. I have my priorities."

Her mother took a deep breathe and said, "Do you think you will get an amazing job as there are a lot outside more qualified than you."

"I'm trying to take first step. Please help me. I need your support." Her eyes filled with tears, she desperately want her family's favour. "Ok, we will talk to your father tomorrow morning." Her mother couldn't see her crying. She hugged her and this made Arij feel better. Meanwhile her father came out of the room. "What's going on?" He smiled and sat on the couch. "You must sleep now, you have to go for the interview tomorrow." Arij's eyes opened wide. 

"Be ready on time or else you'll miss the bus." Her father added and there was an amiable ambience with laughter and cheers.

July 02, 2021 18:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

J Sagar
13:54 Jul 08, 2021

Quietly impactful. A little touch up would make this even better. Thanks!

Reply

Asia A
18:45 Jul 09, 2021

Thank you for noticing. I'm working on getting better at writing, determined to write a masterpiece 😉

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.