0 comments

Contemporary Drama Fiction

I was in the stationery department of the mall to buy paper. I told the sales girl “This paper you’re offering me looks too thin. I’m sure if I write even lightly on one side the other side would be smudged and I wouldn’t be able to use it,”

“That’s the only paper we now have sir.”

“Right now I won’t buy. Thanks.”

As I was walking out I saw Kitty walking past and said “Haven’t seen you in a long time. You look the same. I succeeded your late husband Dinshaw as the general manager of the bank. You chose him rejecting me. Why are we standing here blocking the way? The coffee shop is right before us. Let us go there and talk over snacks and coffee.”

“Okay. You’re very kind.”

We collected coffee and cakes and sat at a two position table inside the shop. I said “The coffee here is very good. So whenever I’m at the mall I drop in to have a cup.”

Sipping the coffee she said “Yes indeed. The coffee is very good.”

I said “Kitty, before this mall was constructed there was an old house on this site. It was here that an entire family of 7 were murdered one night.”

“I didn’t know that.”

I said “I distinctly remember having told you about it. You’ve forgotten it but I haven’t.”

I bit into the cake and said “I hope you like the cake. It’s only middling in taste.”

Kitty said “You’re right. The cake lacks sweetness.”

I got a call and said into it “Hello! Yes I’m Bonnel ex-chief general manager of the bank. I haven’t asked for a house building loan. I’ve my own house. I see. I see. You’re asking me to invest on the housing project. You say a Ratnakar gave you my name to seek funds. Again I clarify that I’m Bonnel and can’t remember a Ratnakar. Mistakes happen.” I put the phone away.

I said “Kitty, people these days are careless. I don’t blame them either, because there is confusion when using 10 digits. I was once called on my number and threatened by someone who thought I was a sessions judge. He said if I awarded the death penalty in the hearing the next day, something nasty would happen to me. Someone unknown to me would kill me. It was a chilling message but luckily I wasn’t the judge and knew nothing of a case.”

Kitty said “You were telling me about the house where 7 were murdered one night.”

“Yes. Dinshaw knew the landlord who owned the site. It seems he was notorious. He had amassed wealth through unscrupulous means. He would buy stolen goods and sell them. He would lend money at exorbitant rates of interest. In one case he cooperated with the police and got a prisoner released. That man it seems murdered the landlord. That was gratefulness!”

We had finished coffee and I said “Kitty we’re meeting after a long time. Let us talk some more. I’ll get more coffee.”

She said “Not for me.”

I went to the coffee counter when I heard someone calling me. It was Rehman my ex-neighbour. He said “How’re you Bonnel? Haven’t seen you in a long time.”

I said “That was because you moved out of my neighbourhood. How is begum? Remember me to her.”

We finished the small talk and I was back with two cups of coffee. I said “Kitty I’m a bit late because I met some ex-neighbours.”

“It’s okay. Please continue about the murders on this site.”

“I’m surprised that you don’t recall. I distinctly remember I had been talking about it when we had reached the old circus venue. I had pointed to the picture of the lion tamer which still adorned a wall and said the murderer resembled him.”

She said “There’s some confusion.”

“Anyway the fellow was hanged to death. Forget about that case. You remember about our boating on the canal.”

“Refresh my memory.”

“I showed you my skill at boating. After that I made you take the oars. Then came the boat with champion oarsmen at high speed and we were in the way. I shouted to you to steer right but you did the opposite. The champion boats men luckily avoided a collision but swore at our incompetence and shouted at us asking us to get ashore quickly.”

I said “Soon afterwards Dinshaw came into our lives. He met you when the bank had organised a program to help blind children. Because you could read Braille you were invited. Dinshaw proved a tough competitor in my affection for you.”

There was silence after which she said “I’m listening. It’s interesting to hear you.”

I said “I didn’t give up so easily. You were with him and with the blind. You chose him over me.”

She said “I don’t remember.”

I said “How could you forget? You know I chose to be a blood donor to impress you. I figured in the ads requesting blood donations. My blood type was in short supply. It had its plus side as well: It was when I met Kay. She was a medico in the blood donation mission. I impressed her and......”

My phone rang again. It was my wife. I spoke into the phone saying “Kay, I ran into Kitty in the mall. I should be home in half an hour. OK. How much cauliflower do you need? What else?” I took out a piece of paper from my bag and wrote down the requirements. I said “I’ll get all that stuff and be home.”

I asked Kitty about where I left off. She said “You were talking about blood donation.”

“I now recall it. The old three storied building near the bank collapsed. So many families were living under it. Some of them had to be surgically treated and blood was necessary. The blood bank where I used to donate blood supplied blood. I was glad to hear about it.”

My phone rang again. It was Kay again. “I’m still with Kitty. I’ll be home in another half an hour. I’m sure I’ll do it.”

I said “Kitty there is pressure from the home front! Let me go. Please give me your address. I’ll visit you some time,”

I took it and walked off.

*

She went home when her husband said “You’ve taken a long time.”

“A stranger- an old man - mistook me for a Kitty who had been his fiancée and spoke to me. I’ve never known him before. He got me cake and coffee and chatted.”

“Did you not disclose your true identity?”

“No. I merely listened to whatever he had to say.”

He said “I guessed it. He must have been a nut to talk to you and get you coffee too. That’s what old age does.”

“You’re his age and could also become addled in brain.”

“You’ve grown corpulent and wrinkled. Who else except an old man with brain dysfunction could have hosted you and chatted.”

“At 75, unlike you, Bonnel is still handsome. And how friendly he was with me and his wife! I wish I had been his wife instead of yours. You’re forever taunting me about my shape. Despite what you say I’m not that hideous. Bonnel has taken our address and I’m sure he’ll visit us when the contrast between you and him will be obvious.”

“Let him come. I’ll throw the fellow out.”

She said “I know you. You always taunt me but I know you won’t insult a visitor! I owe him for the snack and coffee. He’ll have them when he comes.”

“He’ll surely have a heart attack when he comes to know you’re not his Kitty.”

END

February 17, 2021 09:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.