0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Suspense

All that filled Ivory's mind was a low ringing sound. His face remained impassive and peaceful while seething hatred coursed through him. The object of his ire? The Demoness and her entourage sitting at his Mistress’s dining room table as if she was over for a casual lunch. Ivory stood dutifully at the back of Mistress Isadora’s chair, looking down at her  golden head as she continued talking to her “guests”. Even though she was still a child, so much responsibility was set on her shoulders. Despite the frilly yellow dress and doll-like appearance, Isadora was a serious, sharp-eyed girl that was soon responsible for holding up her entire family’s legacy. And that was not a duty she took lightly.

“So Veil, do you have any questions about our arrangement?” Ivory heard her ask briskly. The demon woman twirled a glass of deep red wine, a lazy smile spread across her face.

“Let me see… You want to sacrifice your new students in that charming  magic school, in exchange for the power to fuck up those stuffed shirts that toppled your families regime. Correct?” Isadora nodded, her expression never wavering from determined seriousness. Veil took a sip from her wine and stared deep into Isodora’s dark blue eyes. Ivory bristled, feeling her demonic presence growing by the second.

“I do have one more question for you.” she asked, leaning on her delicate hands, “You got a soul underneath those ruffles?” Ivory could practically hear Isadora’s eyes narrowing. 

“Yes. Though it’s not for you to take.”

“No no,” Veil said with a snicker, “I know better than that. I’ve just never met a person so young, and yet so utterly ruthless. Plenty of ruthless adults, but never a child.” Ivory saw Isadora’s hand tap the armrest of her chair, a sign to let her stand. The wooden chair scraped gently across the floor as Isadora gracefully stepped out of it.

“Simple. I’m ruthless because I have to be.” She swept her curls from her face as began to walk towards Veil. “I’m the heiress to the Akagawa family, which has worked extremely hard to attain all of the success that we have. Not all of our methods have been completely ethical, but they have contributed to the greater good of the land we call home.” She was about ten feet away from Veil’s right side. Ivory began to follow behind, bracing himself as he saw the demons behind Veil tense up.

“No one, no matter if they’re a jealous family member, or some wannabe hero, will take down my family’s legacy. I’m next in line to rule everything, and I will make sure no one else thinks they’ll be able to take me down.” She settled next to Veil’s arm and stuck out a delicate gloved hand. “So, will you give me what I need for my legacy?”

“Please refuse,” Ivory begged in his mind, “Please tell her anything to get her to stop this…” But no, Veil gave Isadora a big smile and stuck out an equally gloved hand.

“You intrigue me Lady Akagawa. I accept your deal.” The two shook on it, bright purple flames surrounding their clasped hands. Ivory sighed and silently prayed for Isadora’s safety, but he knew it was futile. That single handshake was slowly spelling out the destruction of the house and of his beloved Mistress.

“What the hell happened to you?” Isadora asked from her bed. Ivory looked down at his blood-stained clothes and glasses and sighed deeply. His appearance was thanks to a group of demons who had accosted him after the meeting. Ivory had just finished the evening cleaning and was just heading to his Mistress’s room, when he was suddenly pushed against the wall. Three demons sniggered behind him, jerking the arm they had bent behind Ivory’s back.

“Look at the fallen angel scum, walking around all high and mighty.” The main demon growled, “We saw the way you looked at us in the hall. Think you’re better than us ‘cause you’re some half-angels’ lapdog?” The main demon shoved Ivory into the arms of his two lackeys. His glasses fell from his face as he was pulled up by his underarms. “That little bitch should’ve thrown your ass on the streets. You need to be taught your place!” A sudden cry of pain and a spurt of crimson blood sprayed from his attacker’s mouth. In an instant, a Glasgow smile was slowly carving itself across the demon’s mouth, blood gushing down his chin, neck and chest. A silver scalpel protruded from his cheek, the handle glinting in the hall’s candle light. The lackeys threw Ivory forward, dragging the still yelling demon up onto his feet.

“I suggest you not try anything foolish while we’re in my Mistress's house.” Ivory said calmly. The demons growled and backed away as more scalpels floated from Ivory’s suit jacket. They floated in a morbid halo, shiny blades pointing directly at his attackers. “Tell your “friends” that the same will happen to them if they harm anyone in this house.” 

He carefully put his glasses on and continued on towards Isadora’s room. “Goodnight to you all. Don’t let too much blood stain the carpet on your way out.”

Ivory’s head swam with fear. Even though fighting those demons equaled a light exercise, more would come, eager to corrupt, kill and whatever else they could think of. 

Ivory strode over to Isadora’s nightstand. “Mistress, we really should call off our deal with that demon.” 

“Oh please, not this again.” Isadora said, rolling her eyes.

“I'm serious. I was just attacked by that woman’s soldiers as I was coming to you. What if more powerful ones intend to attack? And what if they’re backed by that woman’s command?” 

Isadora scoffed and laid down again. “Well, I have you and the guards to take care of them. That’s your job, correct?” Ivory swallowed hard, giving a short bow.

“I understand Mistress, but there’s too much at stake for you to be relying on a demon to be completely honest with you. You know how they constantly take from anyone who dares to make deals with them!” Ivory kneeled down and took Isadora’s hand.

“Please my Lady, for yours and your family’s sake, reconsider the deal with-”

“For fuck’s sake Ivory!” He started as Isadora ripped her hand away and sat up on the bed. Her eyes burned with rage as she glared down at her servant.

“This is my family, my future legacy, and my decision! My family has tried so many ways of getting our power back and nothing has worked! We need to be more aggressive, we need to show everyone that this is just a setback, not our downfall!” Isadora swept her hair from her face, breathing heavily as Ivory still kneeled at the bed. “You-you wouldn’t understand, you could never understand what it’s like to have everything and then lose it all-”

“No, no I don’t.” Ivory said shortly, “I don’t understand what it’s like to lose everything, seeing as I didn’t have anything to lose in the past.” He gently held one of Isadora’s hands again, pressing his forehead to it. “You saved me from having to live my life on the streets as an outcast, and I am eternally grateful for your help. I’ve watched your magic grow, your empire succeed and helped you the best I could through every situation imaginable.” 

Ivory could feel his eyes welling with tears, his mind raced with memories of the past. Isadora extending her little hand to him on that rainy day, his disastrous first attempts at household chores, and coaching Isadora with her magic. He could tell from Isadora’s pained face that she remembered as well.

“Please, My Lady, please reconsider. I can help you think of something, anything to help you. I don’t want to see everything fall apart because you trusted the wrong people.” There was a small silence. Isadora slid down from the bed and turned away from Ivory. 

“I know demons are terrible creatures. And I know that one day, Veil might betray me.” She picked up her hairbrush, hair ribbons and her favorite book from her vanity. “But I need this power, I need her help to ensure my success. And until that happens, we stick with my plan. Do you understand Ivory?” Isadora held out the brush and ribbons, her eyes once again filled with that focused determination. 

Sadly, Ivory took the brush and ribbons, a tear slowly falling down his cheek. “Yes, My Lady. I’ll...I’ll follow you, no matter what path you wish to take.” Isadora nodded, sitting on the bed and opening the book to where a silk bookmark held her place. Ivory began to brush out the tangles in Isadora’s hair, tears falling down her face with every stroke it made through the golden strands.

Four Months Later…

Isadora smoothed down her silver dress, bouncing her feet with her nerves. “Do you know what to say Mistress?” Ivory said calmly.

“Yes, yes I know what to say. But giving a speech in front of you and in front of an audience are two different things.” Isadora and Ivory looked out at Isadora’s parents finishing up the opening words. And though the students couldn’t see, the silhouette’s of demons were cloistered in the shadows of the hallway.

Ivory cleared his throat. “Mistress, I still think we can change our plans. It’s not too-”

“And it’s also not too late for me to dismiss you if you keep trying to talk me out of this!” Isadora snapped, “This is the last time I will say this, we’re sticking with the plan and you will not stray from my direction, am I clear?” 

“Yes My Lady.” Ivory whispered sadly. The surge of applause and Isadora’s father gesturing to his daughter signified that the plan was ready to begin. Isadora looped her hand through Ivory’s arm, plastering a warm smile on her face. Together, they walked out onto the stage, blinking in the golden spotlight. Ivory looked up from the crowd of students to the roof of the auditorium. There, sitting on the rafters, was Veil. Her soldiers surrounded her in a protective half circle, watching the procession. Veil caught Ivory’s eye and waved tauntingly, her purple eyes flashing brightly in the gloom.

“I swear you evil wench,” Ivory thought bitterly, “If you betray my Mistress or my family, I will send you all back to the Hell pit you dared to crawl out of to get here!” But thoughts of revenge had to wait. Ivory also glued a small smile on his face and waved to the crowd of students. All he needed to do was follow orders and protect his Mistress from any setbacks in her path. That was the job he was given, and he wouldn’t squander it for anything. And no one, not even a horde of demons would keep him from being the best servant he could be.

May 22, 2021 00:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.