4 comments

Mystery

     I woke up by a sudden sound coming from the other room. It’s our parents’ room. It sounded like someone is trying to open a cupboard (metal cupboard ) but only on a aggressive manner.Our parents are away from town for two months now. Me and my sister (younger) are only at home. WAIT!!!!!!!! Is that a thief?????? No WAY!!!!!! “me being a light sleeper”  I would have heard someone trying to break and enter the room since the main door was locked and even the gate, I’ve locked myself. The sound continued to be more intense and fiercer. More than someone trying to open the door it seemed like it is lashing out anger or it wanted its presence to be felt. It continued long enough (at least for two to four minutes)and stopped all of a sudden. Eerie silence filled the air. It was uncanny I laid in my bed frozen in bewilderment. I was paralyzed with fear. Through all my strength I was trying to keep my mind and body focused and calm.

  From the very first instance I felt it is not a thief or a person but something beyond human. I was trying to prepare myself for more because for some reason I sensed that it is not the only thing that is going to happen tonight. Just then creaking in the wooden floor, footsteps steps by step all the way from the kitchen to the living room and slowly approaching towards our bedroom. I could distinctively hear the heavy sound of the shoes moving towards us in the dead of the night. I am unsure of the time since being a hilly region everyone sleeps here early. My heart was pounding faster and faster but my mind was on alert. The preceding footsteps was giving me jitters but just when it was about to enter the room it stopped there, in front of the threshold. I could sense it standing in the door opposite to me and staring at me. I had goosebumps all over the body and hair in my arm stood erect. I could hear it, I could feel it just as if there were another unknown person present in the room. Still I laid there like a corpse with no voluntary movement but mere breathing. If I could have even stopped breathing , trust me, I would have done so. I kept my eyes shut hoping if I don’t see it nothing can happen. Though my eyes were closed I could sense that our room was well lit as the beams of moonlight coming through a window pane was falling directly on my face THUUUUDDDD!!!!!……a loud  sound of glass broke the silence of the night.

(I guessed, it was from the dressing table fixed at the side of the bed where we slept).  Something was thrown at us angrily. Shivers ran down my spine and my blood ran cold. I was petrified to the core. I did not react.I did not dare open my eyes in fear that if I open my eyes I might glance at a horrible looking creature or a spirit without proper figure. I tried not to move. I tried not to breath though every ounce of my body wanted to shout in terror. Sometimes while combing our hair the comb used to accidentally slip from our hands and hit the glass which used to make a same sound like one. From this I assume that it was a comb that was thrown upon us. When u have spent a long amount of time in one place or house then you become familiar with every space and object in the place and the sounds those objects make.

I did not move an inch though If I have mere stretched my hands, I would have been able to wake up my sister up who was sleeping just next to me. Priyanjali!!!Priyanjali!!! I wanted to shout!!!!but only if I could utter a word…. I laid there acting like sleeping pretending to be not aware of what's happening around me. There is a saying “Ignorance is a bliss". Maybe I wanted to act like If I was not aware of what's happening around me that it would not be able to trouble me.

I don’t remember for how long I laid there pretending to be sleeping till I finally fell asleep. It was hard for me to make my mind at peace and even harder to go back to sleep but I was too much focused to not to let it know that am awake that I eventually fell asleep.

I woke up again by a strong urge to visit a washroom.

Still not sure of the time.I woke my sister up and ask her to accompany me as we have our toilet outside our main house. We went outside. After our business was done we were entering through the main door when she suddenly started advancing towards our parents bedroom. I simply followed her like a lost puppy. We didn’t speak a word. As we were getting more and more closer to the the room all sorts of imagination started flooding my mind like what if I’ll open the door and ugly looking small girl with a dark curly hair will jump upon me. Another thought crossed me that a huge masculine demon like creature is waiting for me behind the door. I was shaking from the fear of the unknown. Then all of a sudden I can’t explain the feeling but all of my fear shifted to certain kind of rage and hatred. All sorts of anger started filling up my veins. I felt so angry and frustrated and annoyed. After some time I was no longer able to hold my emotions that I felt the need to vent it out. I had a feeling that no matter how huge and scary figure I’ll come across but I’ll beat the pulp out of it. May be now I was not alone and my sister was with me that’s why my transformation from being afraid to angry. Am not sure. My sister opened the door. There was nothing. She even checked the cupboard knob, it was locked. Then she went straight to our room and checked the comb. It was in its shelf as it was before.We went to bed without saying anything but one thing was sure that whatever happened tonight was not sole my imagination or I was not the only one witnessing these events tonight. I knew my sister also felt exactly the same things as I 

 But I kept wondering since when she became such courageous ???or  how she happened to gather al these courage???. Being youngest in a family she had always been a timid child and my parents including me has always been protective towards her. Growing up I remember an incident  while playing and I had a huge cut on my forehead. She came home and saw pool of blood all over the floor. Screaming on the top of her voice she ran away from home and was not willing to come back. In the evening my father had to forcefully carry her and bring her home. As a grown up she still has a blood phobia. Keeping that in mind, confiding her in the middle of the night about an unknown spirit or thing I didn’t  find it a very good idea. Again if we both had admitted the presence of unknown at the dead of the night, we would have jumped to and fro and freaked out and have gone insane.

Next morning after waking up we started doing our daily house hold chores. We were about to have breakfast when our first conversation about last night came up. My sister confessed  about her observances about yesterday nights occurrence which were word for word same as mine. She  told me her side of the story and for the same reason as mine she could not unfold her feelings the same time. One thing I came to know that night is existence of supernatural being though am unsure what it actually was, whether it was a ghost, a spirit or something else. Prior to that episode I was of the belief that the probability of existence of Supernatural is fifty fifty and Ill be convinced only once I’ll encounter it myself. I  used to assume that auras, spirits, ghouls, ghosts and demons are imaginary and do not exist outside the human imagination. From that day I became sure ghost do exist or in other hand supernatural being does exist. It is  still a mystery why that unaccountable thing happened that night and what did it wanted to prove by showing its presence but I still get chills down my spine thinking what would have happen if I had open my eyes that night. What I learned is those unknown entities cannot harm you but can scare you if you allow them to.  

The question is still WHAT WAS IT???? The answer to all my question lies beyond  my imagination or knowledge..

I still wonder.. WHAT IF I HAD OPENED MY EYES THAT NIGHT…? 

July 23, 2020 19:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Keerththan 😀
07:32 Jul 31, 2020

Awesome story. But, you may try making short paragraphs instead of long ones. That may interest the reader. The suspense was great. Loved it. Keep writing. Waiting for more of yours....... Would you mind reading my story "The secret of power?"

Reply

Show 0 replies
Anmol Subba
01:04 Jul 31, 2020

If u had open ur eyes u would be dead.. Forever taken by that unknown creature who tried waking u up by throwing a comb.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Shamsu Mon
20:44 Jul 30, 2020

Nice story

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sarika Thapa
19:00 Jul 26, 2020

Wowww awesome story

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.