0 comments

Adventure Romance

“I hate this weather,” Barry complained in whisper while closing his wet umbrella after he slammed the door of his white van. Barry was 27th, short but toned, with eyeglasses. He was sitting on the driver's seat of a delivery van he’s been driving for roughly 2 and a half years. He just bought himself his usual lunch, two glazed donuts with lychee squash laying in the bottom of a brown paper bag inside a wet plastic bag on the passenger seat beside him. Behind him, stacks of various-size-boxes lay. 

Barry sighed as he carelessly threw his wet umbrella under the dashboard, and connected his phone with the Car’s audio; he was on a group call with his fellow delivery guys. 

He sighed again when looking at the sky. He thought he could go home early and take care of his Mother’s lawn in the afternoon, but the heavy rain screamed no. It was the first rain of the season, marking the new season with winds and thunder. 

He looked behind and recounted the packages; a row of boxes left, 7 boxes to be exact. Usually he has to deliver more than 150 packages in a day. Today, he only had to deliver 93 packages, to 71 addresses. And he’d done 67 before lunch. 

“Hmm? I should’ve eaten inside. I have spare time.” he said to himself. But now he definitely won’t go back to the donut shop before the rain stops.

“Yeah dude, you should’ve had,” said a guy in a high-pitched voice from the van speaker. His name’s Kimbel, Barry’s fellow delivery guy. “You haven’t had an easy day in a month.”

“How do you know?” Barry wiped his wet hands with the backside of his shirt. 

“I know everything, Barry.” Kimbel said. Barry heard a clicking sound of a turn signal from Kimbel’s end. “Besides, we’re a week away from pay-day week. If we’re having easy days in a month, it’s this week. It’s only logical.” 

“Shut up, smartass.” said a girl in a rough voice. Her name’s Emma. “I saw you peeked on Barry’s list and whined after you compared his and yours.”

“Yes, but I am only stating facts, Dumbo.” Kimbel defended.

“Facts my ass. Then why did you whine? Did you also have an easy day?” Emma attacked.

Barry laughed when he heard Kimbel’s silence, followed by Emma’s winning laugh. “Enough, Mom, Dad. I don’t need you to get divorce.” said Barry, taking the donut’s bag and putting it on his lap. He took out the lychee squash and put it on the dashboard.

“Oh, Please. I would never marry a guy like him.” Emma said, before honking his car horn because a car in front of him dangerously changed lanes. “What are you eating, Barry?” asked Emma.

“Donut.” said Barry, taking a bite.

“Glazed?”

“Why bother asking, Dumbo?” said Kimbel, knowing the answer to the question.

Barry kept on eating. He always bought that donut for lunch, if his mother didn’t make him food in the morning. People might find it boring, but he liked that donut. It’s big, sweet, and for the price that he paid for, means he can save more. Three big bites later, Barry was ready for the second donut.

Barry took the second donut with his right hand, and squeezed the paper bag into a ball with his left. But halfway through crushing the bag, he felt something little and hard in the bag. “Hold on,” Barry said, holding the donut with his mouth.

From inside the crumpled paper ball back, he took out a little - slightly crumpled - plain red envelope with something round in it, like a ring. His eyebrows rose, eyes widened, jaw slightly dropped, making a small O with his mouth, his donut fell onto his lap. “What’s this?” He asked himself. He threw the paper bag on the floor and took a fresh bite of the donut.

“I don’t know Barry, this is a voice call. I can’t see shit.” answered Kimbel.

“You won’t believe it. There’s a red envelope in my donut bag.”

“Are you sure it’s not a bill?” asked Emma.

“No it’s not. I think there’s a ring inside.” answered Barry.

Emma gasped. “Open it.”

“It’s glued.”

“Open it!” shouted Emma and Kimbel simultaneously.

Barry opened the envelope easily, and he was right. There was a ring inside it, silver, shining, with a little diamond on top of it. “It’s a diamond ring!” whispered Barry loudly.

A louder gasp heard from the other end of the call. “You’re kidding.” accused Kimbel, while Emma screamed excitedly, Barry had to turn the volume down. He turned it up again once Emma calmed down.

“I’m serious! Wait, I'll send you a picture.” Barry took a picture of the ring in front of the little red envelope, with his thumb and index finger holding them over the steering wheel. He sent it to the group with only three of them inside it.

“Wait,” said Kimbel, observing the picture. “Is that a note?” There was a little white paper sticking out from the envelope.

Barry looked inside it again. “It is a note!” Barry took it out and read it aloud. “Please deliver this to 277 almondhill, Baros.”

“It’s close!” said Emma, getting even more surprised. “Barry, go to that address!”

“What? Of course not! Dude, keep it. Sell it. give it to your mom. Or give it to your attractive neighbour that you liked but never spoke to. What’s her name again? Stacy? I’ve never met her but Stacy seemed cute.” suggested Kimbel.

“Hey! If you’d give it to someone, it should be me!” Screamed Emma. “Sorry, I was joking. But yes, Stacy is cute. I’ve seen her. Give it to her and start talking, God damnit! Or you know, isn’t it exciting? Go to that address and see who owns it!”

Barry thought about it for a long second. He knew he really wanted to start talking to Stacy, but he feels like she’s out of his league. This ring might be the opportunity. It wasn’t like he had ever seen a diamond ring with his own eyes before, but it sure looked like it. But then, what if it’s a fake? “Aren’t you guys curious who put it there? Who waited on the address?”

“Yes!”

“Dude!” shouted Kimbel.

“I mean, what if it’s a fake diamond?”

Silence occurred between them.

“Even if it’s fake, you can sell it -- as a real one -- to the right person.” said Kimbel. “Big-brain-move, dude!”

“I’m gonna go back to the shop and ask who put it there. Maybe they pranked me.” Barry said, before going to the donut shop. 

Inside, he asked the cashier about it. He gave the ring and the envelope to him as proof that it wasn’t a joke. The cashier asked every employee who was working. All of them have looked at the ring closely, but none of them know who it was from. Finally, the shop manager asked if Barry wanted to see the CCTV to check who put it in. He said yes, and bought 2 more glazed donuts as gratitude.

In the manager’s office he got his answer. It was another customer, an old lady with short silvery hair, dressed in a cardigan and long skirt. She sat on the closest table from the cashier when she noticed Barry came. Then when his donut’s ready, she walked to the cashier, distracted Barry and the cashier over something in the corner of the shop, and put it inside the paper bag swiftly, without anyone noticing. She left shortly after Barry.

Then Barry went back to his van and told everything to his friends

“Don’t tell me She saw you as a delivery boy and hope you deliver it for free.” accused Kimbel. “Now you really have to go there, dude.”

“Why, you change your mind?” asked Barry.

“... Yes.” admit Kimbel.

Emma snorted. “OMG this is so interesting. I’ve been parking in front of my next address for ten minutes but I haven't sent the package.”

“Let me think about it. I still have four addresses left.” Barry continued his delivery duty.

He spent roughly an hour delivering the rest of the packages in the rain that seemed to pour harder with no sign of stopping.

Along the way he was wondering who the old lady was, who was waiting at that address, and why she did it. She didn’t look like cheating the system for money, given how she bought four dozen donuts with her. Does he really want to go there? He was curious, at the same time he wanted to have a shot at Stacy, the girl of his dreams. But his mother taught him that money is given to whoever deserves it, and he feels like he didn’t deserve the money from this ring.

Without realizing, he was arriving at the street on the envelope note. His heart has settled though his mind hasn’t.

“I have arrived.” Barry said, as he looked at a two story white house with a wide lawn and three cars in front of it. He parked across the house.

“Dude, you really wanna go inside?” asked Kimbel.

“I’m not sure.” Admitted Barry, “Maybe I'll just put it on the porch like another package and leave.”

“No!” Kimbel and Emma disagreed.

“Of course you have to knock, Barry!” said Emma. “If you don’t I will curse you and wish you would never marry Stacy!”

“Jeez woman, chill out,” said Kimbel. “Gather your balls, dude. Slam that door and ask them to pay for the delivery. Dude, it’s an instant delivery, in a heavy rain. You should ask them to pay twice the price.”

Barry sighed. “Alright, I guess Stacy can wait.” Barry took several deep breaths, preparing himself for an unexpected ending of an unexpected journey. “I’m off then. I’ll tell you everything later."

“Dude! Don’t end the call!” begged Kimbel and Emma. But Barry ended the call anyway.

Barry took a deep breath again. He’s getting anxious and nervous, he was thinking how the recipient would believe the story he’s about to tell, so he brought with him the paper bag with two new glazed donuts inside and put the red envelope inside it. He grabbed his umbrella and went to the house.

A long minute later, with dozens of deep breaths, Barry arrived on the porch. He heard loud noises inside the house, mostly the sound of children shouting and playing. Occasionally he heard a grown woman's voice, shouting what he guessed as one of the child's names.

He took another deep breath. He hated how cowardly he is right now. He should be excited to know who is at the end of this journey. Finally, he knocked.

Three solid knocks. Then he went to wait for who's behind that door.

Then the moment of truth came. The door opened.

It was the same old lady from the donut shop. She was wearing exactly the same outfit when he saw her earlier. When she saw him, a wide and sincere smile rose on his face. “You really came!” she said.

Barry, who looked as confused as a person can, barely said anything.

“I’m sorry, young man. Your name is Barry, isn’t it?”

Barry choked. “Y-yes, that’s me. How do you know my name?”

“Thank God I was right!” She put her hands on her chest. “Come! Come inside, Barry.”

“But, my clothes are all wet, and i--”

“We’ll take care of that.” She pulled his elbow and without realizing, he was inside the house. 

He was waiting in the lounge area of the house. The room was beautiful and warm, with a long coffee table and three broken-white sofas around it. But he stood by the door, because he didn’t want to make the sofa wet.

The old lady waited with him, after asking one of her daughters to bring clothes for Barry. “I’m sorry for the loud noises. My family is gathering here this weekend. Those are my grandchildren.” She said.

Barry nodded awkwardly. Finally, he asked the one million dollar question which has been swirling inside his head. “I’m sorry, Miss. Do I know you?”

“Nooo.” She waved her hand. “You don’t know me. You’ve never met me, but I know you. My name is Perry Gill Gibson. I thank you for being the kind man like you are.”

Barry thought about the name for a second. Has he ever heard the name? He doesn’t think so. Then he pulled the red envelope from inside his donut bag which he’s been carrying in his left hand. It was slightly wet because of the rain, but it was still a donut bag. He gave the red Envelope to her. “Here’s your package, Mrs. Gibson. But i don’t understand, why did--”

“Oh it’s here,” cut Mrs. Gibson, as her daughter brought her Barry’s change of clothes. “You can change your clothes in that bathroom over there, Barry. Just put your wet clothes in the laundry box inside the bathroom, we’ll wash it shortly.” said Mrs. Gibson kindly.

Barry nodded and went to the said bathroom. He changed all the fabrics he was wearing to the new one provided by Mrs. Gibson.

A few minutes later, Barry went back to the lounge room. There, Mrs Gibson asked him to sit on the sofa across her. Two beautiful cups of tea and his donut bag have awaited him on the coffee table.

From where he sat, he can see the living room clearly. Childrens were playing in that room. Six children after he counted them. On his right, just beside the front door, a beautiful white stair facing the lounge room.

“That was my oldest daughter, Susan. She brought you the clothes. She has four childrens, you’ll get more confused if i tell you all their names.” Mrs. Gibson laughed, followed by Barry’s.

“So, about the ring, Mrs. Gibson, whose ring is that?”

“This?” She showed the diamond ring which was wrapping his ring finger beautifully. “It’s mine. I’ve been married for Thirty Seven years, and lost the love of my life a few years ago. Thankfully, I have three good childrens with me.” She started explaining. “I’ve seen you before, Barry. And I've heard about you. The only son who took care of his mother is a good person, I'm sure of that. That’s why when I see you, I can't help but put this ring to you.”

Barry listened to her carefully. “I thank you for that, Mrs. Gibson. A-and your hospitality. But, I'm just wondering, what if you’re wrong?”

“If I'm wrong? Then I lost one of the most precious memories my late husband had ever given me. But, I’m willing to bet I'm not. If I'm right? It may open a new chapter of my family. That’s the risk i’m willing to take.” She answered.

When Barry intended to ask the Why, a beautiful lady walked down the Stair. 

“Ah, Stacy! Come here, quickly!” said Mrs. Gibson to the lady.

Barry looked at the lady as she stepped down the stair. His heart skipped a beat.

She was the Stacy of his neighbourhood. The Stacy he was about to give up because he chose the ring. She was the Stacy of his dreams.

“Remember when I told you I lost my wedding ring today? Look!” Mrs. Gibson showed her wedding ring on his left hand to her. “Turns out he’s the one who found it and brought it here. I believe you know him, right? I think he lived near your house.”

Stacy gazed at Barry’s eyes and her eyes stuck there. A sincere yet shy smile on her face. “Yes, I knew him, mother. But we haven’t met.” She said. “Stacy. Stacy Gibson.” Stacy slowly reached out her hand.

Barry, who heard her voice for the first time, believes that she’s more beautiful than when he saw her from afar. “Barry Reinhart.” He shaked her hand slowly, firmly, yet tenderly.

Then Stacy broke their eyelock and asked her mother, “How exactly does he find out that you are the owner of the ring, mother?”

Mrs. Gibson laughed and waved her hand. “Ah, it’s a long story, don’t bother. I forgot I had to do something over there. Will you please keep him company?” asked Mrs. Gibson, as she stood up and walked towards the living room, ignoring her daughter who was silently begging her to stay.

She likes you.” Gestured Mrs. Gibson to Barry, silently with her mouth and fingers when Stacy didn't see her.

Barry’s heart seemed to fall to his stomach when he understood what Mrs. Gibson was whispering. But he gathered his courage. How can he wail and flee when a great old lady gave him a chance of a lifetime. “So, Your last name is Gibson,” said Barry. “We’ve been neighbors for years but I never knew. Sorry.”

Stacy smiled at his honesty. “I guess now we can talk to each other when we see each other again.” She said, awkwardly, didn’t know what she was supposed to say. “So, How exactly did you find out that the ring belonged to my mother? It’s pretty odd for me.”

Barry chuckled. “It’s a long story, don’t bother.” he said, imitating what Mrs. Gibson said to her. “It’s just, a small city, that’s all.”

Stacy smiled wider. She was now certained that her mother set this up, but grateful that he defended her mother with his answer. “A small city it is.”

“I’m sorry. If I knew I was going to visit a friend, I would've brought something better than… this.” He said, Picking up his Donut Bag.

“Well, you’re lucky. I really, really love those donuts from Hollow.” She said, letting their hearts connect.

September 23, 2021 09:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.