0 comments

Romance Holiday Fiction

Moving to the Sydney CBD from the sunny Gold Coast in the middle of Winter definetly hadn't been the smartest move on her behalf. After her parents had retired and her siblings outright refusal to take over the family bakery and cafe, it had been left up to Lucy to return to Sydney thanks to her parents begging and take over the family business. 

As she stared out at the drizzly, frigid Sydney morning from her family's hundred year old townhouse...she couldn't help but feel bitter about her current situation. Despite the approaching diversity festival, an annual celebration held in honour of Sydney's multi cultured society Lucy still felt a little sour towards her predicament. It wasn't like she could blame anyone in particular for her situation anyway, which made it all the worse. Her parents deserved to retire after running the ' Reilo's ' family bakery and cafe for over 50 years. Her only two siblings weren't in a good place to take over the family business considering that both of them had young kids and one of them lived in Western Australia.

Lucy Reilo, the 25 year old Chef who had left home at 20 to go to culinary school in the Sunshine State was the perfect candidate to take over the family practice. Forget the fact that she had built a life up North, forget the fact that she was leaving behind her friends and way of life. She had replaced sunshine and warm weather...even in Winter for a never ending drizzle and now lived in a city that never seemed to actually see the sun, the towering concrete and glass skyscrapers blocking out nearly all natural light.

From downstairs, she could hear her parents chattering animately with the last cafe customers of the day as they were closing early for the diversity festival. A chance to 'get to know' the other hospitality venues set up on the busy Sydney streets. Whilst her parents saw the other local businesses as a bit of ' friendly competition' Lucy saw if for what it truly was...'cutthroat competion' in a tough industry. Since she had moved back home several days earlier, most of her time had been spent catching up with her parents and doing research on their local environment...specifically in regards to similar nearby businesses and their owners.

There was one in particular that she was slightly concerned about, one that she was concerned about yet she could tell her Mother was practically bursting with the anticipation to 'set her up' with Luja, the son of her close friend whose family just so happened to own and run the only other joint bakery and cafe in the Darlinghurst area. Whilst their parents may be friends, Lucy wasn't the type to go and befriend the competition...she would be cordial and professional for sure, yet she wasn't one to mix business and pleasure...even if it was purely friendship based.

Thanks to her parents friendly and extroverted demeanours, in less than an hour Lucy was about to have a small early dinner with Luja's family before they both started up their cafes exhibits for the festival. This 'exhibit' involved free pastries, savoury items and other delicious goods in which Lucy had spent all day baking. Socialising wasn't her strong suit, which was why she was focusing on staying behind the scenes tonight and allowing her parents to attract the customers while she directed her engergies towards ensuring that the back end of their business was strong. It was also a good way to psych out the vibe of the neighbourhood compeition and client base...hospitality was all about the people afterall.

Luja Namajalo, or Luj as the her parents called him had a similar life story to Lucy...ironic how despite both of them living nearby for years and being family friends that hadn't really made that much of an impression on one another. Growing up, Lucy had spent most of her time holed up in either her room, the library or the kitchen as she worked to achieve her dream of getting into the university of her choice...a dream she had achieved.Luj on the other hand had spent most of his formative and adolescent years fighting to prove himself to his older brothers through pranks, partying and just being a nuisance really.

Whilst Lucy had earnt her position in her family business as the top chef he had simply been handed it thanks to his brothers simply flaking off the responsibility. Apparently if you could make a half decent omlette you were aloud to be the main chef of the only other notable joint restaurant and cafe in the Sydney CBD...one of the most famous cities in the world.

Tying her dark hair up at the nape of her neck, she tried to focus on her plan to attract and establish her clientel base. This night was crucial as whilst her parents had ensured that their business had a respectable reputation...it was a tired reputation. Over the last few days, Lucy had spent time incognito in both the city streets and the family business...trying to get a feel for how her cafe and bakery were seen in the eyes of the people. The results were confronting, but to be expected. 

As much as she loved her parents, she could admit that they were old fashioned and traditional...their customers reflected this. 85% of their customers were over 60 and mostly European, especially those of Medittereanean descent. As her parents had gotten older, they had continously shortened the business's operating hours until they were as they were currently...11am - 3pm everyday except Sunday's when they were closed so her parents could attend church.

This was all going to change, Lucy had plans...big plans. Her first step was to introduce a breakfast deal that would target the morning rush hour. There was nothing corporate workers and students with morning classes needed more than a strong coffee and a breakfast pastry, something she knew all too well thanks to her years of university. Starting from next week, the cafe would be open from 6am which meant that Lucy would be up at 4am baking...a worthwhile sacrifice if it meant saving and improving upon her parents lifes work.A life of a baker meant abnormally long working days anyway...no 9-5 for her.

At hearing her parents hollering her name from downstairs, she quickly found herself running down the stairs and into the front foyer of their cramped townhouse where she ran head first into a wall, a warm muscled wall who had just lightly grabbed her as she stumbled.

Looking up into a pair of dark eyes twinkling with amusement Lucy found herself stammering out a mumbled " What?" as she looked away from the magnetic eyes of the young man before her as she spied her grinning parents standing in the hallway leading to the cafe.

" This is Luja, Lucy. Lucy meet Luja and Luja meet Lucy. "

Her mother stated happily, fingering her gold necklace pendent as Lucy fought back an exasperated sigh...she knew that look. The look her mother was currently giving her was one familiar to her, it was one that haunted her whenever a guy smiled at her or looked her way...or even showed the slighest interest in her. It was the look an Italian mother gave her daughter when there was even the slightest traces of romance involved.

" We are both Lu's, it is a pleasure to meet you Lucy. I look forward to showing you around the neighbourhood."

Offering her his arm, Luc found herself being numbly grabbing onto the handsome young mans arm as she allowed herself to be led out into the chilly yet oddly refreshing evening. Looking back at her grinning parents, she fought against another eyeroll again. 

Despite the cliche nature of the situation, a mothers instinct was always right.

December 11, 2020 12:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.