33 comments

Historical Fiction Fantasy


Rain falls on his new skin. He feels nothing.


Under cover of the night, he, Isaac Newton, sixty-three years of age in this the Year of the Lord 1706, arrives alone at Woolsthorpe, returning to the old two-story farmhouse where he grew up. In one hand he carries a lit lanthorn, in the other a large bag.


He calls back a memory, his earliest, one he did not even know he had, until it is there, sudden, sharp, as if he is transported back into the moment and … he can smell the manure, see the sheep-shearing dust in the air. He is three years old, clinging to his mother’s skirt, wordlessly begging her to stay, or else take her with him, as if by keeping a strong enough grip with his tiny three-year-old fingers she will not be able to go, will be fixed to the spot, or will be unable to shake him off and will bring him along like luggage. She, Hannah, his mother, gently pries him loose, picks him up, hugs him, kisses him on his head … then hands him to the grandmother, turns, gets into the carriage, and leaves, abandoning little Isaac.


There is no feeling associated with this recollection. Feelings do not compute. So, in the logical mill of his mind, this — his three-year-old self abandoned by his mother — is just another piece in the puzzle of his life that he assembles methodically, memory upon memory. She left because she was widowed and remarried, and her new husband did not want a stepson. That was the logic and reason of it.


His mother did not return until her husband had passed away — when Isaac was ten years old — and then only to send Isaac away from her again, this time to grammar school, eight miles down the road, in Grantham, where he boarded with the kindly apothecary, William Clarke.


Isaac Newton enters the old farmhouse with its bare wooden floors. In the front room, on a work table, he sees his old collection of toys that he constructed as young boy: the wooden models of churches and other buildings, the kites to which he would attach lanthorns to light up the night sky, the miniature windmill with cloth sails, and now, seeing all these toys, he remembers the doll-house furniture he constructed for the apothecary’s young daughter, Catherine, and in his mind he gets a flash of memory, sees her … holding up the tiny chair, inspecting it, admiring it.


'This is amazing, Isaac," Catherine says, returning the doll-chair to his work table.


‘I am glad you like it,’ he says.


‘I love it.’ Then: ‘What is this?’


‘A treadmill.’


‘How does it work?’


‘I place a mouse in it, and put a string on its tail, then when I pull on the string, the mouse runs, and that turns this crank, which powers this little mill. It is a mouse-powered machine.’


‘Oh.’ A thoughtful look comes over her face. ‘But … what about the mouse?’


‘What about the mouse?’


‘Is it right to make one of God’s creatures part of a machine?’


‘I suppose that it is no different than an ox before a plow.’


‘Maybe so.’ She thinks for a moment, then shakes her head. ‘No, it is not the same, Isaac. You trap the poor mouse inside this device, make it run and run by pulling its little tail, just to power this mill. It is not right.’


‘Then I shall instead construct a mechanical mouse. Of course, I will need to find a way to store energy within the mechanical mouse. Something like a pendulum or a coiled spring perhaps. It will be a great challenge for me.’


‘And a great relief,' she says, 'for the living mouse.’


As he goes down the hallway, he sees the red door at the end.


This brings his mind back to nursing his mother there, behind that red door, in her bedroom, during her illness in 1679, twenty-seven years ago, and the memory overtakes him suddenly, seeing … his mother’s face pale and drawn with the typhoid fever, a rash of flat, rose-colored spots on her neck and upper chest. She motions with her hand and he draws closer.


‘I am so sorry,’ she says, her voice nearly inaudible, her lips the color of chalk. ‘Sorry that I was not a better mother to you, Isaac. Sorry that I left you when you were just a small boy.’


‘You are here now.’


‘Not for long, Isaac. Not for long. I can feel it. This is my time. It is time for me to go.’


‘No. You will not die.’


She smiles up at him. ‘You were such a small thing. Born too soon. So small. You could have fit in a quart mug. Now look at you.’


She coughs, and he feels her whole, thin, frail body racked with it. Her head sinks back on the pillow, eyes closing.


It is time, he thinks. Time to do what he has been prepared to do ever since he came home, from the moment he saw her weakened state. Will it work?


‘I cannot bear you leaving me again,’ he whispers.


She hears nothing.


It is time.


Yes, it is time. He is here to finish what he started, twenty-seven years ago.


Isaac Newton approaches the red door, opens it. He hears the whirring and clicking of cogwheels, the grinding and clanking of metal upon metal from within the room.


The pool of lanthorn-light illuminates the machine that contains his mother, broad back towards him, standing in front of the small window, looking out into the moonlit night. Outside, the rain has stopped.


The automaton turns to face him, then moves closer with the heavy footfall of metal feet on the bare floorboards of the old farmhouse.


At 10 feet 4 inches, his metal mother is twice the size she had been while still in the flesh.


Back then, in 1679, twenty-seven years ago, he had not yet perfected the miniaturization of the gears, the pulleys, the steam-powered engines, and the hydraulic pumps and cylinders needed to animate her metal frame, and so, simply to make room for the needed parts, he had been forced by necessity to scale her up to these monstrous proportions.


He looks up into the iron mask, the glowing red ruby gemstone eyes.


“Mother,” he says. “I have become like you.”


He raises the lanthorn so she can take him in, the way he is now.


Instead of the pale flesh of sixty-three-year-old Isaac Newton, his new metal skin glows golden, his hair shines silver, his eyes are glittering green gemstones. He is life-size, instead of the oversized monstrosity of his mother before him. He is dressed in a rust-brown coat over a black waistcoat with a white neckcloth and white shirt cuffs. The fingers that grasp the lanthorn are finely articulated, instead of her crude iron mittens. He moves forward, the action smooth, life-like, unlike her lumbering gait.


“As you see,” he says, “I have perfected the science of the automaton. And I will keep improving upon it. I can make you like this.”


The metal mother recoils, stepping backwards, long arms outstretched, palms towards him, as if warding him off.


“Mother.” Isaac advances, and for each two steps of his life-size legs, she takes one giant stride backwards, until she has reached the back wall.


With a creaking, grinding noise, she bends one knee, then the other, until she is kneeling before him, her expressionless iron mask with the glowing red eyes now at the level with his fine-featured, expressive golden face.


She raises her heavy arms, placing the two unwieldy iron-mitten palms together with a clank of metal upon metal. She is mute, so this is the way she shows him that she is pleading. He has seen this before, many times, each time he has visited her.


“Let me give you your voice,” he says, and pulls from his bag the vocal chord device. “Raise your head.”


She obeys, raising her head, then lowers her arms as Isaac sets down the lanthorn and goes to work, installing the device in her neck.


The first sound she makes is a howl.


Isaac steps back.


“Twenty-seven years within the prison of this machine.” Her voice is deep, hoarse, full of grinding gears, hissing steam, wheezing hydraulic pumps. “Son, you must finally let me go.”


“No, mother.” His voice is just as she remembers, the exact timbre and tone of her son’s. “This,” he gestures at his own golden form, “is what I have been working towards. Not the crude shape I gave you then. Now I can give you this.”


“Still, it is a machine. Still, it is a prison. Still, I will be trapped within.”


“Trapped?”


“There is no sensation.”


“You will have greatly improved senses,” he says. “My understanding of Opticks is complete. In your new body, you will see in full color, not the red haze you have now. I have also perfected my understanding of sound. In your new form, you will hear with much greater acuity than before, even greater than you did in the flesh.”


“But I will not feel.”


“It is true that I do not yet have the means to create the sensation of touch, nor the sense of smell nor taste.” He hastens to add: “In time, I am certain I will be able to improve upon the design and add these sensations. But even now, your memories will be fully accessible and sharper, so sharp and clear that you can recall every detail, even sensory detail, from your former life. I find that I spend much of my time in reminiscence, reliving old memories, and to me this is an adequate substitute for—”


“I mean feelings. I have no feelings.”


“Feelings?”


“You never needed feelings, Isaac. Numbers, formulas, logic, reasoning, those were always enough for you.”


“I had feelings,” he says. “I felt anger. I felt frustration. I felt envy. I felt loss. I felt … sinful desires contrary to God’s Laws. Feelings. They were a hindrance. This is better.”


“For you, perhaps. For me, I do not want to be a calculating machine for all eternity.”


“But—”


“No, Isaac, this is not for me. You must let me go.”


“I cannot.”


“You must.”


“You are always leaving me.” He sounds very young, the plaintive voice of an abandoned child.


“You must set me free.”


“Then … I will be … alone.”


“Make yourself new playmates. Make automatons of people who are like you, people who want to spend their lives, their eternity, as logical machines.” She raises her arms again, iron palms pressed together, again pleading. “But not me. Not me. Son, I beg you, release my soul.”


He bows his head.


“Please, Isaac. If you ever loved me.”


He looks ups. “How can you say that? It is because I love you that I—”


“Yes, I know. That is what has sustained me through these years. I knew your intentions were good, the best. But it is not right.” She bends forward until her great iron forehead rests on the floor, next to his feet, exposing the back of her head. “Twenty-seven years is enough. I cannot take any more. Please.”


He bends down. His golden hand caresses her iron head.


“You are certain this is what you want?”


“Yes. Release me.”


He opens the small door in the back of her head, revealing the vial with the shining blue water, where all her memories are stored, all that is her, his mother.


“Goodbye, Isaac.”


He unscrews the vial of memory-water, lifts it out, and as he does, the giant automaton crashes to the side, and the red eyes dull to a dark maroon with no light behind them.


He is tempted. Sorely tempted.


What is to keep him from retaining this vial, holding her in abeyance this way, in this state where she is not conscious? Perhaps one day he can discern the System of the Soul, in the same way he has already deduced the System of the World, then bring her back once more, this time fully human, even in metal skin?


But he knows, deep down at the core of his soul — that is, if he still has a soul, if, in fact the soul transferred into his new form — that this is one thing he cannot do. Only God can plumb the human heart, only God can animate a human soul.


He places the vial down on the floor, the memory-water pulsing its blue light.


He lifts his foot, lets it hover over the vial.


“Goodbye, mother.”


When his foot comes down and the vial breaks and the memory-water spills out, he thinks he sees a vapor rise, momentarily taking the shape of a dove, before it dissipates.



July 26, 2023 20:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

33 comments

Mary Bendickson
16:51 Jul 27, 2023

Genius way you created a genius creation.

Reply

Geir Westrul
13:35 Jul 28, 2023

Thank you, Mary, I'm so glad you liked the story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
15:35 Jul 27, 2023

Brilliant. Bravo on this. Definitely winners circle.

Reply

Geir Westrul
13:35 Jul 28, 2023

Thank you, Derrick!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Molly Kelash
00:06 Jul 31, 2023

Really fantastic piece of fantasy blended with historical fiction. Masterful, compelling. Just wow.

Reply

Geir Westrul
11:06 Jul 31, 2023

Molly, thank you! I'm so glad you liked the story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
00:06 Jul 31, 2023

I could see this perfectly. The mum in the iron mask stuff and the memories contained in the blue liquid are really cool ideas. It reminded me of The Girl in the Fireplace, an episode of Doctor Who with clockwork robots from space. If you haven’t seen it I think you would like it.

Reply

Geir Westrul
11:16 Jul 31, 2023

Thank you, Graham! I love it (as a writer and a reader) when the story feels immersive (as you write it and read it), and this one felt like that as I wrote it. I remember the "The Girl in the Fireplace" - set in Versailles in pre-Revolutionary France, so, yes, the same blend of historical and sci-fi. Great episode, as I recall.

Reply

Graham Kinross
22:18 Jul 31, 2023

An excellent episode as far as I’m concerned and it sparked a relationship between the doctor and the ‘Girl’ for a bit, though he eventually settled down with a woman he met in another episode who is the daughter of a previous Doctor so if their kid ends up acting and becomes the Doctor it would be a Dynasty of Doctors. I’ve read a few stories since yours but the visual of yours is still in my head so well done.

Reply

Geir Westrul
22:27 Jul 31, 2023

I need to go back and re-watch that episode of Doctor Who, for sure.

Reply

Geir Westrul
22:31 Jul 31, 2023

... turns out all seasons of Doctor Who are on MAX (the new HBO Max) which I subscribe to, so I'm re-watching that episode now.

Reply

Graham Kinross
23:12 Jul 31, 2023

Nice. Written by Stephen Moffat who became show runner when Matt Smith became the 11th doctor. Matt Smith was my favourite Doctor so far. Who’s your favourite Doctor?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kevin Logue
16:17 Jul 30, 2023

Thoroughly enjoyable. You had me gripped from the outset. As a fan of astrophysics and science this caught my interest immediately. I love how you have taken traits such as Newtons "emotionless" demeanor and the days he would lose staring into space and made them part of the machine. The brief mention of his ungodly desires, which lead him to a solitary life of bachelorism, never coming to terms with his own sexuality, was a lovely nugget. The parallels between the mouse and the mother were a great bookend. Great job Geir, excellent flow...

Reply

Geir Westrul
11:18 Jul 31, 2023

Kevin, thank you! I'm fascinated by Isaac Newton and have read several biographies on him. Nice job spotting the very subtle reference to Isaac's struggles with his sexuality. I'm glad you liked the story!

Reply

Kevin Logue
12:43 Jul 31, 2023

Have you read Newton and the Counterfeiter? Great book about how he hunted down forgers on behalf of the bank of England and designed new coins to reduce clipping, which are still used today.

Reply

Geir Westrul
22:24 Jul 31, 2023

I do have "Newton and the Counterfeiter" (by Thomas Levenson) in my Kindle queue, but I have not yet read it. In Neil Stephenson's "The Baroque Cycle" (especially in the Volume III, "The System of the World"), this is a major part of the plot. I need to read Levenson's book!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Chris Miller
15:16 Jul 28, 2023

Well that was fun! Reminded me of a 17th century Tony Stark taking a first crack at his suit and comparing it to the later model. Good use of the flash back and analogy of the mouse. Thank you for sharing, Geir. Good luck!

Reply

Geir Westrul
17:41 Jul 28, 2023

Thank you, Chris, yes, in this alternate universe, Isaac Newton is the original Tony Stark, though darker, having left his mother mute and trapped in the steampunk automaton for twenty-seven years.

Reply

Geir Westrul
14:03 Jul 29, 2023

... and I'm glad you saw the analogy of the mouse. I wasn't sure if that was going to be too subtle.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
05:00 Jul 28, 2023

Really great title and opening, wanted to read what this was about. A fascinating and deep story about life, and life as a 1600s steampunk robot. The conversation at the end carries a lot of deep themes about what it means to exist. Also felt like there was hints of Isaac being on the spectrum and his seeing the world differently than his more emotional mother. When I looked back at the prompt you used, wow, you went all the way with the idea of a childhood toy, great work!

Reply

Geir Westrul
13:34 Jul 28, 2023

Thank you, Scott! Yes, I'm convinced Isaac Newton was on the spectrum. By the way, the three little flashbacks are true to Isaac Newton's real life (abandoned by his mother at 3 years of age, the toys he built including the doll-furniture for Charlotte the apothecary's daughter, and nursing his mother in her illness) — then, of course, it goes off into another universe of steampunk, which was great fun to write.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Annie Persson
17:58 Oct 22, 2023

I like the fact he finally found that he couldn't replicate what go had done, and accepted they he had to let his mother go. That was a nice ending.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Susan Catucci
20:44 Jul 31, 2023

Marvelous creation this (pun notwithstanding). You have a wonderful mind, Geir. It is a pure delight whenever one, through words, recreates 'general knowledge' in a way that brings it back to life in an updated version. In this super smart story, you've touched on a question I see raised often: can emotion be programmed, reproduced - does it compute? And what possible ramifications. You, very deftly, with wonderful word art, have turned that notion on its head. Not everyone might possess the same vision you do; the tug of war between w...

Reply

Geir Westrul
22:21 Jul 31, 2023

Thank you, Susan! Yes, this is going to be the question, increasingly, isn't it? What of a human being can be automated, and what cannot?

Reply

Susan Catucci
00:56 Aug 01, 2023

And is there a replacement for "heart"? Ask the Tin Man. :D Wonderful questions.

Reply

Geir Westrul
01:08 Aug 01, 2023

... but it depends on the perspective, and as the mother says, he can make "playmates" of like-minded logic-is-enough automatons. For most of us, though, that would not be a good place for eternity (or even twenty-seven years).

Reply

Susan Catucci
01:26 Aug 01, 2023

Perspective, yes - we should talk more - I so enjoy how your mind works, Geir - eternity has no storeroom with spare parts - you come as is.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kristin Johnson
19:11 Jul 29, 2023

The title of the story alone grabs my interest. But I could see this being a Twilight Zone or an Isaac Asimov story.

Reply

Geir Westrul
12:48 Jul 30, 2023

Kristin, thank you! I'm so glad you liked the story. I always loved the "Twilight Zone" and I'm still an avid reader of Isaac Asimov Science Fiction Magazine — and also Fantasy & Science Fiction Magazine (F&SF). Those were formative for my love of sci-fi and fantasy fiction.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Geir Westrul
12:49 Jul 30, 2023

The title of the story is actually a line from Tennyson's "In Memoriam A.H.H", the epic poem about the grief after the loss of his best friend.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Drizzt Donovan
10:02 Dec 15, 2023

Great story. Very imaginative and has a different voice to most stuff I read.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.