0 comments

Friendship High School Fiction

For some reason, my parents did not want me to attend high school that was the closest to our house. I was not pleased. I was going to miss my friends that I had known for almost my entire elementary school years. The only argument my parents were giving me is that the public bus by which I will be attending my new school was very convenient in terms of where the bus stand location was from my home to that school, and also, for my return from school to home. Also, they kept saying that I will recognize my old neighbors, Jake and Kate, who were siblings. With whom I used to play a lot as a kid even before my kindergarten days. To me, it did not make sense. I had not seen Jake and his sister in almost five years. Will they even talk to me? I got great friends in my current school. I am just a 12-year-old kid. What can I do? Revolt? Run away? Being a kid is not easy most of the time. I found out also that the travel time will be around thirty minutes by bus. As a kid, that seemed like a long way to go. Also, the school was, of course, not in our neighborhood. No one from my current school was going to the school my parents chose for me. I was going to be on my own on the first day, and start all over to make new friends. 

When the day arrived, I was excited but nervous also. I was able to get there on time. I felt a little lost at first but there was a welcome committee for the new students starting their first year of high school. That was a good initiative from school principal. 

I was in an unfamiliar neighborhood, new in the school, looking young, looking small, quite skinny and the most difficult part was that I had no friends at all. Like a fish lost in another territory.

I felt so lost on the first day of classes. Oh boy! I entered the wrong classroom for my second period. I was checking my schedule from top to bottom, when I was supposed to read from left to right. Period one, and now period two. Instead, I read my schedule as day two, period one. I ended being in the classroom a day earlier. I found out I was in the wrong classroom when the teacher was taking attendance. She did not call out my name. I felt so embarrassed. I left the class and I was trying to find the correct class for day one, period two. I was late by twenty minutes. However, that teacher was so kind, jovial, and welcoming. He told me to not worry. This is normal for a first day of school for a first-year student.

After week one was completed, I did not make any friends. In fact, I almost got into a fight. Because I was sitting at the cafeteria where a group of seniors sit there usually. I told them that I got here first and I need to sit here for at least fifteen minutes to finish my lunch. One of the taller guys just took my back pack and threw it away ten feet farther. Out of nowhere, a kid, a little taller than me, comes from behind and pushes the senior. Then he grabs my back up and puts it on the table. Where I was supposed to eat in the first place.

“You little punk! You better move your butt before I throw you out of the cafeteria,’’ screamed the senior student.

‘’Kiss my ass! Throw me out now! I dare you! That kid came here first. First come, first serve. I don’t see your name written on this table. Do you want to me go show this video to the school principal?’’ chuckled the confronting kid.

The grown-up kids just left with a grin on their faces. My God! Who was this vigilante???

‘’Hi. I am Victor. I would like to thank you. It has not been easy for a newcomer like me in this school and being in grade seven. What is your name?’’

‘’I am Peter. Hey, no worries. I am in grade seven also but I know them from my elementary years. They were jerks back then and they are jerks here too.’’

‘’I appreciate a lot Peter. I have no friends here. In fact, I don’t recognize a soul in this entire school…’’

‘’Nice to meet you Victor. Look, in life, there is a beginning to everything. You should not let the situation make you miserable. Fight it!’’

For a guy who was maybe just an inch taller than me, and maybe fifteen pounds heavier, he was like a lion in the jungle. I admire his courage. We sat together that day and we had lunch. We did not even go out of the cafeteria. I explained the reason I was here, in this school. He was a kid of single mother. His dad, he had not seen him in ages. He can’t remember his face. His mom was everything and she was the one who instilled in him to fight what is right and for justice. He really impressed me a lot.

For the next few months, I got involved in a few brawls. A few fights. That is when it was fair. Lot of times, I would end up beaten up. Money pocket and lunch taken from me. I went to see the school principal for it but nothing seemed going forward. For some reason, when I was with Peter in the school, it seemed that I was less likely to be harassed. There were times when Peter and myself, got beaten up, after school, outside the school property. Always against big bullies that have nothing else to do then to intimidate smaller kids. 

I saw Jake and Kate some time during the school year. Both seemed not to care who I was. I approached them, and said hi. They both kind of brushed me off. And my parents…what were they saying?

I am a single child. No older brother or an older sister to whom I can look up to. Also, not sure if they would had attended this school if I had an older sibling.

By midyear, the occurrence of being physically harassed was almost weekly. The place where I was more prone to be assaulted was in the locker room area. Where it was all boys only allowed. So that did not help me. Between periods, I would have to go there to drop my textbooks and binders to pick up the ones for my next class. That is when random older guys would start push me, shove me, tease me…

At one point, I wanted to quit this school. I would insinuate to my parents that my old classmates from grade six must be all attending the school of the neighborhood. My parents did not sense in my voice the sense of emergency. I was on my own. I was not at the point to cry or beg in front of my parents.

I had half of my classes with Peter. And oh boy. My February we got closer. He was by far my best friend in this high school. We started eating lunch together every day. He was always the one that would stand up for me. Even if the other kid was six feet tall. I felt I had David on my side at all times and that he would be ready to sling shot a Goliath. He had this hidden physical strength that would come out of him in time of crisis. Comparable to a Bruce Banner. We studied together. And we would walk together till I reach my bus stop. Once the bus arrived, he would go his way. That is how Peter was to me. A great kid with a giant heart. I had lot of respect for him. I felt like he would listen to me more than my own parents. He was like a brother to me by the end of first year of high school.

Peter was not my brother, cousin, or a family relative. He was more than a brother. I could talk to him about anything. We shared our deepest secrets, our joyful moments as well as our not-so-great moments. He was my ally. My teammate. My co-pilot. We were like a tag team in wrestling.

In life, relationship by blood does not mean anything. Relationships are formed by trust, compassion, understanding and tolerance.

February 05, 2021 03:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.