The Island by the Sea

Submitted into Contest #4 in response to: Write a story based on the song title: "Beside The Sea"... view prompt

0 comments

General

The smell of coffee filled the neat and orderly room with its white-washed walls that were once home to many pictures of his little family. He sat at his desk, staring out at the horizon above the beautiful, foamy seawater. He was numb inside and though the 'Irish' coffee was a welcoming contributor, the thought of her smile, the one that lit up the world more than any sunrise, was a distant memory. As was the joyous laughter of their son, Luke, who ran through the house giving it his best to keep away from his father who half-heartedly attempted to catch him; 'tripping' over anything and everything.


  Before he started his business, times were filled with those kinds of moments, which now seem like fleeting memories. Presently, he can't remember the last time he held her while they watched TV. A seemingly easy thing to do made tough only by the constant glancing back and forth at the computer. She almost always took notice, like most wives, and sent him on his way to be the breadwinner that he was. He desired nothing more than to be successful and to give his family the most that he could. Like many men before him, his work ethic was impeccable as was his aptitude for the job. It was as if he was born to do this. He knew it, she knew it, but it wasn't enough. It seemed the more he did and the more he earned, the further and further away she became.

 

  There were days at a time where he would barely draw his attention away from the computer screen to tell her that he loved her as she walked out the door for work. Luke would be holding her hand on the way out, looking back at his father with an empty glance, as if he had already known what it was like to not have him around. That's something a child should never have to experience. The loss of a father, whether from death or by neglect. The only difference is that one leaves the hope that things could change, even though they may not. This brave little boy hoped that his daddy would change. 


  The phone began to ring. It was the office again, looking for a report on his current project no less. He wanted to answer it, in fact, he wanted to answer it badly. However, something was holding onto him, whispering in his ear if you will. It's like it was saying if he could just let it go to voice-mail, he had a chance to get his family back. Three rings....four rings....five. He felt his cells reaching toward the phone while he was frozen in time, the room seemingly hazy about him. The steam of the coffee stuck to his face, the bittersweet aroma lingered as well. He was on the verge of panic; he couldn't pull his stare away from the device despite it having rung six rings...seven rings....eight rings. "You've reached Mr. Newman. I can't come to the phone right now," the voice-mail started. Whatever spell held him lost its grip and there he stood still staring at the phone.


  He took in a deep breath and looked out to the horizon, just above the water. He could almost hear the waves crashing onto the beach. For a moment he thought he could feel the spray of the water, it's coolness on his feet. A lonely, distant island sat by itself miles away from the mainland. He imagined himself there with Luke building sandcastles and enjoying a day in the sun. Thoughts of walking the beach and holding her hand. Enjoying a sunset that nestled into a beautiful night sky where the stars competed with no other lights but a nearby campfire. That's when he felt it. Something he hadn't allowed himself to feel in a very long time. It was peace. He felt at peace.


  Still staring off towards the island, running his fingers through his hair, a tear made it's way down his cheek. "I'm such a fool," he said to himself. Picking up his phone he started to dial her. After these few months, would she even want to try again? Would she believe that I had an epiphany? How would Luke feel? How would I be able to support them? These are all the questions that ran through his mind as he nervously pressed each button. 


  The ringing tone starts and with every passing ring, his stomach began to flutter and his skin began to tighten. After a few very brief moments, she answered the phone. "Hello?" her voice was as refreshing as cool spring waters on a hot summer afternoon. "Olivia, hey. It's Victor," he said not knowing what she may say or do next. "Hey, Vic. What's up? Aren't you working?"


  "Yeah, about work. I think...I think I'm quitting."

  "You're quitting or you think you're quitting?" she asked sharply.

  "I'm quitting, I'm definitely quitting. I'm sorry, it should have never gotten to this point. I shouldn't have waited this long to call!"

  "You're right," she replied skeptically. "You shouldn't have, but you did. However," she paused for a moment. "Luke really misses you."

  "I really miss him too," he began. "Do you think we could meet up sometime?"

  "Well...sure, why not? I mean Luke really needs you, Vic. The past few weeks, he's not been himself. It's been a struggle for him to eat, sleep, or even allow himself to have fun playing."

   

  They talked for a few more minutes. Not wanting to put any pressure on her, he didn't jump straight to asking her to come back, though he desired greatly for them to work things out. Just hearing the sound of her voice, like angels singing in Heaven's choir, made him realize how at peace he was. He hadn't found even a few moments of joy for himself while away from his family. He vowed then and there that he wouldn't let anything get in between them again.


  After they said their goodbyes, he leaned back onto his couch. For a moment, he sat there in silence. He looked towards the window and out at that lonely little island. Peace washed over him again and he let himself smile, just this once because inside him was this sparkle of hope which set his soul afire.


August 30, 2019 21:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.