0 comments

Adventure

NOTICE: This story is not for the prompt!

I haven’t been to a DR in many months. I wasn’t going to lie to myself, I missed having an adventure in a world so different from my own. The thrill, the excitement, the lack of school. I nodded to myself, making a quick decision with an idea. I was going to travel back into a DR. I was going to go in unprepared, though.

Why would I ever go into a DR unprepared? I wanted to be surprised by the world, but I still wanted my same safe word and to wake up on the sidewalk of my DR so I’d know once I’d arrived. 

I decided I text a close friend to help me, and pick a perfect DR for me. I told her how DRs worked, how there were infinite realities in this world so if you just made one up, it would already exist. She didn’t quite understand and had many questions for me, but she decided to help me regardless.

Two days after I had requested her the important task of picking a DR, she texted me saying it was finished. She sent me the script which I didn’t read, and I was ready. I was going to use the pillow method and the raven method combined, as I had always used the raven method in the past, but I didn’t know the script so I had to use the pillow method.

After nightfall had already approached, and my whole family was asleep, I was ready. I didn’t know if it would work or not. After all, the last time I had traveled I believe I was ten. Was I really ready to go off into some universe I didn’t know?

I shook my head, brushing off the thoughts. I planned this, plus, if I didn’t do this all my friend’s work would go to waste. I needed to do this.

Taking a deep breath, I layed down in the starfish position on my bed. Under my pillow was the DR script on my phone. Slowly, I began counting. Hopefully, I will have traveled before reaching a hundred.

“One. Two. Three. Four. Five. Six…” Whilst I was counting in a whisper, I said in my brain over and over again confirmations to help me get there. All very similar to each other. I am in my DR. I am happy to be in my DR. I would say these many times, only in my head.

I began to feel myself shifting. I started feeling the warm dry concrete of a sidewalk. My eyes were desperately trying to open themselves, but I knew if I did that I would only have to start over again. I knew once they stopped trying, I’ll know I succeeded.

Slowly but surely, my eyes stopped trying to force themselves open. The concrete felt more solid than it did before. It felt real. It was real.

Finally, I opened my eyes, knowing it was now safe to do so. I looked around, seeing I really was on a sidewalk. I was in front of the house at my mom’s. I stand up, then look down at my legs. My leggings now have pockets.

They never had those before, I thought to myself, looking at my neighborhood. I’m wearing my buffalo plaid flannel, probably because my friend had known it was my favorite shirt. I begin to reach into the pockets of my black leggings, but before I can I hear someone scream towards me.

“Ashlynn!” Startled, I turn to see my mother in the doorway of my house. “Come inside right now young lady! You know better than to be outside without being disguised!”

Immediately, I have many questions. Ashlynn? While I run towards my house, I’m thinking to myself. Who’s Ashlynn? She seemed to be talking to me, but that’s not my name. 

Once we’re inside, my mother slams the door behind us. “What were you thinking?! Go upstairs right now and wrap your wings. Tuck your ears as well.” Her voice appears as angry, but I can see the fear on her face. I know better than to leave my mother fearing for my safety.

I race upstairs and into my room, shutting the door behind me. Before I forget, I reach into my new pockets; there must be a reason I have them.

Sure enough, I pull out a piece of paper. Uncrumpling it, I read the horrible handwriting of my friend as well as I can.

Enjoy getting yelled at? You may be wondering what this note is for, and I wasn’t going to leave you with no information. I want you to figure out the world on your own, but not without any background. Basically, you’re living out every little girl’s dream.. In a way. First, the important stuff. A day in that world is an hour here. Your safe phrase is peanut butter crackers yes. In this world, any fairy is to be reported so it can be either locked up or killed, same goes for mermaids. Only royal mages can use magic aside from fairies and mermaids. Lucky you, I’ve made you both! With powers! Your wings will disappear when you touch water, which is when you turn into a mermaid. Why did I make you hunted down? Excitement obviously! Why did I make you part fairy part mermaid? Because I wish that was me! Don’t worry by the way, if you die there you get teleported to your kitchen here. Oh and uhm, your name is Ashlynn now because uhm.. You named yourself that once in Royale High and I liked it.

-Sophie

Of course. At least if I die I won’t, well, DIE die. I don’t think I have school, either. I look around my room, trying to find some sort of hint. I find a calendar. The day is marked as June 27th, 2020.

I look out my window. In my backyard, I see a woman who appears to be in her late 20s. There’s a little boy running around with a little girl. From the looks of it, she’s my sister. She looks similar to me, but has blue eyes and darker hair. I don’t know it, but I just feel it. She is my sister. The sister I’ve never had.

A little note: this is a real story that belongs to myself. If you don't believe in DRs/WRs/CRs or you don't believe in the travel of them, that's okay. All that really matters is I know it's real and so do many others that have had great adventures in DRs. Plus, I get great stories out of them! Let me know if you want to read more!

November 16, 2020 18:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.