My Father's Words

Submitted into Contest #255 in response to: Write a story about a someone who's in denial.... view prompt

32 comments

Inspirational Sad Fiction

“When life throws you crackers, you have to deal with the crumbs.”

Straight from my father’s lips to my inner soul, I never understood the meaning of those words until now. He first said them to me on the banks of the Tygart Valley River on a cool summer morning just before the humid heat had a chance to bake the day. The fish weren’t biting, and I remember icy daggers stabbing my heart. Somehow, he knew how I felt.

“It’s okay,” he would say. “It’s not about the fish.” 

I remember those long walks home after a hectic day at Jennings Randolph Elementary School. I was afraid to walk alone, so my father would wait outside by the rusted steel fence and lead the way. The Hartleys were a group of delinquent degenerates who liked to take their frustrations out on me. They lived two blocks from my house, and in those days, the buses didn’t drop you off at the front door. Nope. You were dropped off at a designated spot and had to walk the rest of the way.

No one bothered me when my father walked by my side. He had broad shoulders and callused hands from thirty-five years of working at the lumber mill. He stacked lumber before the sun came up and was proud of what he did. He told me how he had to quit school when he was younger to take care of his ailing parents and how proud he was of me. 

When the wind blew a certain direction through the weeping willow trees hiding the school’s view, he said, “There’s nothing wrong with an honest living.”

My first crush came in the sixth grade. Her name was Jenny. She had red hair, green eyes, and patches of freckles sprinkled throughout her skin. She wasn’t afraid to get her hands dirty. She was the first to dive into the dirt when a school project came along. I found her intimidating, to say the least.

“Don’t be afraid to follow your heart, and always remember to be yourself.”

It was a phrase so simple, sweet, and true. How did I not think of that? My father always knew what to say. He had the answer to everything. His words gave me the courage to ask Jenny out to The Cinema Six, and while she said no, we became good friends throughout the rest of the school year. She and her family ended up moving to the city. A far cry from the small rural town of Elkins. I wonder how she’s doing. 

During my rebellious years in middle school, I fell in with the wrong crowd and tried to distance myself from my parents. I felt smothered by their love and wanted to experience true freedom. I didn’t get into drugs or alcohol like all the other kids, but I had an angry streak. I was mad at the whole world.

One night, when I was sneaking out of the house to go to a party, I overheard my father tell my weeping mother something I’ll never forget. His words cut like a hot knife through butter.

“He’s a good boy trying to figure out who he is. We’ve all been through a time where we try to find our place in this crazy world, and I know he’ll find his way.”

He was right, though. I did find my way….

I remember having trouble in high school and not wanting to go because I thought the classes were boring. After my father talked to my teachers, they concluded that I was smarter than I was letting on. The assignments were too easy, and after some testing, I found myself sitting in honors classes.

“Sometimes you don’t know what you’re capable of until the opportunity presents itself.”

Once again, my father’s words held true.

My first job was working at Coalton Elementary School, mowing the grass in the summer of ‘96. It was a small rural school about thirty minutes outside of Elkins. I was surrounded by well-to-do boys who were no strangers to hard work. Some of them looked like they ate whole cows for dinner. I wanted to…no…I needed to prove my worth. I wanted to show them that I could fit in. Once again, my father’s words rang true.

“You don’t have to prove yourself to anyone. Just do the best you can and mind your manners. Your will and determination will do the rest.”

According to our supervisor, Jim Triplet, I proved I belonged and became the best worker in the bunch. I was so good he gave me his highest recommendation for another job working in a cornfield, where I made an extra five hundred dollars before my senior year started!

On my high school graduation day, I remember the fireworks exploding in my gut. It was the end of one chapter and the beginning of another. The first natural step into manhood, as they say. I didn’t know what the world had in store for me. Heck, I didn’t even know if I wanted to go to college. Attending a university was a big deal in those days, and most people couldn’t afford it.

“Don’t be afraid to spread your wings and fly. The world is an ocean of opportunities. If you’re brave enough to cast your fishing line out there, you might be surprised at what you reel in.”

My father was right, of course. After graduation, I decided to get a business degree, so I took a year off and worked in the retail industry. I wanted to pay my own way through college. I worked hard and reeled in that diploma! I’ll never forget the look in my father’s eyes!

If my mother hadn’t lost her battle with cancer a few months earlier, I know she would have been proud of me. I know because my father told me.

“Her love is all around you. Even if you can’t see her, she’s there…smiling on your shoulder. She loved you with all her heart, and so do I.”

I wept in silence that night….

When I started my own pet store, I met the love of my life when a beautiful girl from Southeast Asia walked into the store and wanted help picking out a puppy. She had a funny accent that made my heart swoon, and the way her cocoa eyes fluttered when I looked at her gave me chills like a thousand ice cubs sliding down my spine. I knew right away that she was the one.

I thought I missed my chance to ask her out that day because I was so mesmerized by the sheen of her black hair and radiant skin. I was utterly speechless. She must have thought I was a fool. After buying a toy poodle she gave me the most stunning smile I had ever seen and was gone.

When I talked to my father that night, he told me, “Sometimes great things happen all at once, and it’s always when you least expect them.”

Luckily, my dream girl returned the next day because she needed more puppy food. I cast my line into the great unknown and asked her out for dinner. Without hesitation, she said yes!

My father actually cried at our wedding! It was only the second time I had seen that. The first was when my mother passed…. 

When our baby girl was born a few years later, I was excited and nervous at the same time. My emotions were like two tornados spinning in different directions, coming together as one. How can something so tiny and innocent belong to me and my stunning wife? I was instantly flooded with worry and doubt about this new responsibility. It was like having the weight of the world on my shoulders. I didn’t know what to do or how to handle it. All I knew was that I loved her very much.

Somehow, my father knew what I was feeling. I suppose that’s the true mark of a parent who loves their kid.

“They grow so fast, my son, and so will your love. There will be good times and hard times, but as long as you stay true to that love, you can never go wrong. None of us actually know what we’re doing. We try to use our common sense and do the best we can. There are no instructions or blueprints when it comes to life. Just love.”  

As I sit here at my father’s funeral with bloodshot eyes surrounded by a wide assortment of colorful flowers and my wife’s arms pulling me close for a warm embrace, I realize that my father was wrong. While life doesn’t explicitly come with instructions, he wrote them perfectly. My parents set the best example of how to live an extraordinary life with love and happiness. And as I look into my daughter’s hazel eyes, I wonder… What more could anyone ask or need out of life?

My eyes wander like a helpless hound dog searching for a lost bone, and I see a mixture of smiles and tears. I never knew my father had touched so many lives over the years, just like my mother did!

I miss him dearly, but I know he’s with my mother, smiling on my family’s shoulders….

So, what did my father mean by: “When life throws you crackers, you have to deal with the crumbs.”

I guess I’ve been in denial all these years…but I finally know….

No matter how hard life gets, small pieces of happiness are always left behind. It’s up to all of us to gather those crumbs and make the most out of them.

His words…my father’s words…will live on forever. 

June 20, 2024 17:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

32 comments

Martha Lueck
08:10 Jun 28, 2024

This was incredibly moving, well-written, and relatable! The father sounded like a very wise, humble, and compassionate man. His advice reminds me of Marvin Erikson (Marshall's dad) from "How I Met Your Mother." Some of my favorite lines from your story: -“Sometimes you don’t know what you’re capable of until the opportunity presents itself.” -“You don’t have to prove yourself to anyone. Just do the best you can and mind your manners. Your will and determination will do the rest.” -"She had a funny accent that made my heart swoon, and th...

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
21:58 Jun 28, 2024

Thank you so much, Martha! I'm so happy you enjoyed this story. Some elements in this story were based on real events, but I came from a broken home. I wanted to capture a love from a good father to his son and how our parents can shape our lives. Thank you so much for reading this, I really appreciate your warm comments!!! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
06:35 Jun 28, 2024

It touches me deeply. I grow up without parents, so it was very emotional read for me. Thank you for share.

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
21:48 Jun 28, 2024

Thank you, Darvico! This story was full of emotion and I'm glad I could capture that. I grew up in a broken family and while some in this story is based on true things, I didn't have a father like that. Maybe it was me wishful thinking of what could have been, but regardless, I wanted to capture those feelings and I'm so happy you liked this one! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kay Smith
15:29 Jun 27, 2024

Some of the lines that I love! "His words cut like a hot knife through butter." -- Love it! It appeals to my little Southern heart! "...and reeled in that diploma!" "... gave me chills like a thousand ice cubs sliding down my spine." "that’s the true mark of a parent who loves their kid." Oof! You hit me with all The Feels! I want a father like that! I love all of the fishing metaphors, obviously! However, what spoke to me the most was the love I could feel pouring from your typing fingers! It's raw and real and beautiful! Awesome job!

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
21:41 Jun 28, 2024

Thank you so much, Kay! I really appreciate your warm comments. I'm very proud of this story and I'm glad that all the emotions came through. I really appreciate you taking the time to read this. Thanks again! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tiffany Davis
02:01 Jun 27, 2024

you did a good job

Reply

Show 0 replies
10:55 Jun 25, 2024

When I arrived at the end and sense had been made of the initial saying about 'crackers' I felt so happy. I finally understood what he had been denying. Such profound and simple explanation. All the other words of heartfelt wisdom and their associated stories were touching to read. What a great father you portrayed. Wish I had had a father even a little bit loving and wise. But we have to look for the happiness, as you say. I also loved the love-at-first-sight romance. Aw. Warms the heart. Lots of happiness crumbs for him in his marriage....

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
20:08 Jun 25, 2024

Thank you so much, Kaitlyn! This story came to me on a whim and I made myself sit down to write it. It was a snapshot of a life and the effects good parents can have on their kids. I also liked the romance aspect here because it was only fitting that he would grow up to have a family of his own. Thanks for reading this one, I really appreciate it! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Carol Stewart
22:30 Jun 24, 2024

The father's wise words inserted after every life stage - cleverly done. Also the final line, that expression of pride. Good work.

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
06:06 Jun 25, 2024

Thank you so much, Carol!! I really appreciate those warm comments. I'm so happy you liked it! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Milly Orie
12:44 Jun 24, 2024

I had a suspicion from early on that the father would pass away and I had to keep reading to find out. Good parents are such a gift. I really enjoyed the story, thought it was really well done. I loved watching the MC grow up.

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
06:01 Jun 25, 2024

Thank you so much, Milly!! I'm really glad that you liked this story. I guess it's kind of a snapshot into a father/son relationship and I'm so glad it all worked! Thanks again :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
09:36 Jun 23, 2024

I loved the heart in this story. Really beautifully written, Daniel!

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
22:15 Jun 23, 2024

Thank you so much! I'm so glad you enjoyed. Thanks for taking the time to read it, I really appreciate it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
07:03 Jun 23, 2024

It’s great that by end of the story the son gets to understand his father’s words about the crumbs. So true. Wonderful words and advice given by a father imparting love and wisdom to his son. The best way to live. I enjoyed your story. It lifted my spirits.

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
22:13 Jun 23, 2024

Thank you so much!! I had a lot of inspiration with this one and I'm so happy it all came through! Thanks for taking the time to read this, I really appreciate it! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
00:21 Jun 23, 2024

This made me cry! The narrator's emotions bleed through in such a nuanced and authentic manner. I was immediately drawn in and invested in his story and the relationship between him and his father. The ability to make your readers feel that is a feat to pull off, even in larger works. I was pulled in again as he met his wife and became a father himself. You perfectly captured the overwhelming feelings of love, joy and the sheer terror that comes from that realization of being suddenly responsible for this fragile little human. The wisdom fro...

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
22:07 Jun 23, 2024

Thank you so much, Tirzah! I really appreciate your kind words! I agree that yelling and screaming is no way to solve problems. We can accomplish so much more with understand and compromise. I'm glad this story made you feel those emotions and I'm sorry it brought some tears! I'm so happy that everything worked and I had a lot of inspiration in writing this. Thanks again! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kelsey H
08:06 Jun 21, 2024

I loved this combo of father-son story with coming of age. The narrator going through the process from idolizing his father to pulling away from him to appreciating him again. It was well done to show such a long passage of time without feeling like it was rushed or jumping around, I think sticking to the central theme of the relationship with his father kept it focused, and I like how you had the little sayings from his father as a way of linking it from the start to the end. I like the bittersweet ending too, although sad but I thought tha...

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
15:50 Jun 21, 2024

Thank you so much, Kelsey! I'm glad you liked this story. I wanted to show a positive relationship between a father and son and how his parents provided him with the blueprints to living a good life. Thanks again, I really appreciate the read! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Justin Diaz
04:32 Jun 21, 2024

That was a beautifully crafted story, filled with truth about life and how to live it. I enjoyed reading it very much and look forward to reading more of what you write.

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
05:49 Jun 21, 2024

Thank you, Justin!!! I'm so happy you liked this story! I really appreciate your kind comments and I'm so glad you took the time to read it. Thanks again! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristi Gott
03:06 Jun 21, 2024

Very, very beautifully written with such wisdom, sensitivity. and insight. A lovely tribute straight from the heart for an incredible father. A wonderful story, and I am so glad I got to read this!

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
05:43 Jun 21, 2024

Awe...thank you so much for reading this, Kristi!! I'm over the moon that you liked it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
00:51 Jun 21, 2024

A wonderful tribute to fathers this Father's Day week.

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
05:39 Jun 21, 2024

Thank you so much, Mary!!! I really appreciate you taking the time to read! :) I'm glad you liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
21:52 Jun 20, 2024

Hey, Daniel. Wonderful truths. I had to smile at : None of us know what we're doing" It should be embroidered on every pillow case, so we can absorb it overnight, especially teens. :-) My mother had a few sayings that made no sense, but these, when handed out at the right time, are that blueprint. You could make a whole YA book out of this story alone. Wonderful gentle journey, Thanks for taking us along.

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
05:36 Jun 21, 2024

Thank you so much, Trudy!! I really appreciate your wonderful comments!! If done right, I think you're right, it could make a great YA novel!!! Thanks again, I always look forward to your comments!! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
17:43 Jun 20, 2024

Daniel !! OH MY GOODNESS ! You have truly outdone yourself here. ABSOLUTELY IMPECCABLE JOB ! With this prompt, you created such a well-written, compelling, emotional tale. I always say that a good story has to make you feel, and this ? It most certainly fits that description. The way you portrayed the protagonist's relationship with his father was so lovely. I just love how in every situation he faces, his dad always has a word of wisdom to impart or to spout out. I love that writerly device you used. It's not only a way to anchor the stor...

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
19:34 Jun 20, 2024

Thank you so much, Alexis!! This story just popped in my head and I wanted to capture a bond between a father and son because it really is based on love and mentorship. I think as we get older we tend to look at what our parents or guardians did when it comes to certain life situations and that carries on when we get older and have families of our own. I drew on some true moments in my life to put it all together, so I'm glad it worked...lol Thank you so much for reading my stories and I'm happy this is your new favorite! It was certainly ...

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:15 Jun 21, 2024

Oh, but it's always a pleasure reading your stories. I will say this again and again; I just love how you inject a lot of heart in your stories. This one, though, is extra special. Brilliant work !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.