0 comments

Adventure Drama Fiction

Worth More Than A Thousand Words

By

Raven West


           Hannah Levy rushed through the front door of her family’s home. The official notice to report to the IDF on her eighteenth birthday the following week clutched tightly in her hand. She didn’t know if she was more excited to join the Israeli army, or to finally be free from under the scrutiny of her overly protective parents.

As far back as she could remember, Hannah never went anywhere without one or both of them tagging along. Hannah was home-schooled from the time she was seven years old. Her schedule outside of academics was filled with computer classes and personal gymnastics with her the only student.

On weekends she attended Caliber 3, the Academy for Counter Terror, Security & Defense. Every summer since she was thirteen years old, Hannah spent her time at Krav Maga Immersion Camp, where she made a few friends, but the counselors were just as strict with her as her parents, so any friendship started, quickly vanished when the camp term ended. As a result, Hannah’s social life was practically non-existent.

Her parents we so overly protective, they even refused to allow her to learn to drive. Her father drove her to and from school in the family’s black SUV. Her mother accompanied her to the mall on her occasional shopping trip. When her parents weren’t available, they hired a service and chauffeur. Always the same car. Always the same chauffeur.

Although Hannah understood her parents loved her and only wanted to keep her safe, but the prospect of finally being free, even if it was to join the army with their own rules and restrictions, would have, at the very least, afford her the opportunity to finally have some friends.

The only thing she needed for her dream to become a reality was her personal documents and her parent’s signature, but when she asked her mother where the papers were, her answer was strangely cryptic.

Esther and Aaron Levy were in the kitchen preparing Shabbat dinner when Hannah excitedly showed them the notice and inquired about her birth records. Her mother paused for a few seconds before replying. It wasn’t the response Hannah was expecting.

“I’m not sure if I remember where I put them. Aaron, do you recall?”

“No, I really can’t. I haven’t thought them in many years, Hannah. Go get ready for dinner and we’ll talk about it after, ok?”

“Ok? No, it’s not ok!”

 “Sundown isn’t for another two hours!” Hannah uncharacteristically hollered. “You must know where these papers are and I need them now. Tell me, where do you think they might be and I’ll go look for them.”

There followed a few moments of awkward silence. Hannah noticed her parents kept exchanging worried glances, before her mother answered.

           “I believe I might have stored them away in a box the attic, but I don’t remember exactly where.”

“I really wouldn’t be that concerned, Hannah,” her father added. “The Knesset has duplicates of everything you need, so there really isn’t any reason for you to go searching through all that dust. I’ll make the necessary calls on Monday and we’ll take care of it, so don’t worry.” 

Hannah pretended to concede to his request, but she was too impatient to wait. She secretly plotted to rummage through the attic after her parents had gone to sleep.

           Later that night, Hannah crept to the attic, flashlight in hand. She rummaged through several piles of dusty old clothes and toys she had discarded years ago, but didn’t find any boxes of documents. Frustrated, she kicked the wall which resulted in a hidden panel opening just above the floorboard. She pulled on the panel and discovered a locked box under several blankets.

Hannah removed the box and used the flashlight to brake the lock. She opened the box and discovered a stack of old papers and a photograph on top of the pile. Hannah shone the flashlight on the photo and was shocked to see the image of three people standing in front of a large tree, decorated for a five-year-old’s birthday party. The adults were strangers, but the little girl, who couldn’t have been much older that five, looked all too familiar. She had no idea who the adults were, but she immediately recognized the face of the child. Her nose was a bit different, her hair was curly and blond but there was no mistaking the girl in the photograph was Hannah.

           On the back, was the faded writing identifying the people as Rivka and Reuben Cohen with their daughter Anna, December 6, 2005. Hannah stared at the photo and the print until she felt the images would be burned into her fingers. She knew her birthday was December 6, 2000, but looking at the photo, Anna Cohen shared the same birthday. It was undeniable that the child in the photo and Hannah Levy were one and same. Hannah needed answers, and she needed them fast. She closed the box and made her way downstairs to the living room where she opened a bottle of wine and waited for her parents to wake up.

Hannah heard her mother coming down the stairs. The moment her mother’s foot landed on the last step, Hannah held up the photo and cried out.

           “Mom, who are these people?”

           Esther Levy froze.

           “Where did you get that picture?” she asked.

           “Does that matter?” Hanna replied. “I found it. Just answer the question. Is this me and who are the couple in the photo?”

           Esther didn’t reply immediately. “Come into the kitchen, Hannah. I’ll make some coffee while we wait for your father to wake up. We have a great deal to discuss and he needs to be here.”

           The two sat in excruciating silence for what seemed to be hours, but was only a few minutes when Aaron entered the room. Immediately, he noticed the stares from his family and knew there was something definitely wrong. Seeing the photo in Hannah’s hand, he immediately understood.

           “Dad, who are these people?” She demanded. Before he could reply there was a loud knock at the front door.

           “Quick, Hannah.” His yelled. “Get to the safe room and lock the door. We’ll continue this discussion later.

           Hannah didn’t bother to question her father. Living in Israel every home had a mandatory reinforced space. She did think, however, since she hadn’t heard any sirens, or explosions, that her father was, as usual, being too overprotective, but with both her parents acting so strangely she didn’t stop to ask questions.

           Locking the door behind her, alone with her confusion, Hannah was contemplating her surroundings. Over the years, she knew of the many times her community was under attack and these trips to a secure room had become an unfortunate common occurrence.

           When the door finally opened, Hannah noticed her mother was no longer in her pajamas.

           “Hannah, there are a few people here to speak to you. I brought you a change of clothes. When you’re ready, come out and join us in the living room. There is a great deal we have to tell you, especially about that photo you found.”

           Tentatively, Hannah walked into the living room where four strangers and one very familiar face were waiting.

           “Nadav? What are you doing here?”

Hanna addressed the only person in the group she knew. Nadav Mizrahi, the family’s chauffer.

 “Hi Hannah,” Nadav replied. “So very nice to see you outside of the car. These are my associates Omri and Michal. We’re agents of the Witness Protection Authority.”

“The WHAT?” Hannah yelped.

“Witness Protection. You entered the program in 2005 because your father, your real father, the man in the photo, Reuben Cohen, testified against Yaakov Abergil. He was a very dangerous head of the Israeli mafia, better known as the Israeli Crime Organizations or ICO. Because of your father’s testimony.

“I don’t believe this! How did my father, or this Reuben person you mentioned get involved with the mafia?”

“Yaakov was also charged with the murders of alleged Abergil crime family associates,” Michal replied. “One of whom was your father’s cousin Bar Cohen. We knew once your father testified, his life and yours would be in danger. Reuben and your mother Rivka both got new identities and we relocated them to an undisclosed location. If it was discovered they had a young child with them as well their real identity would be in jeopardy, so as a precaution, you were placed with Aaron and Esther, also WPA agents, who became your parents.”

“And how do you fit in all this, Nadav? I don’t remember meeting you until a few years ago.” Hannah asked.

“ You did have several agents once you went into the system, but you never knew who they were. Our methods are quite good. I took over exclusively when you turned 15. You didn’t notice my frequent disguises, but I was also your instructor at Caliber 3 and your camp counselor at Krav Maga. You never knew I was the one training you in all the skills you’ll need to become a member of the Central Institute for Intelligence and Special Operations, or as you know them; Mossad.”

“Mossad? You’re kidding, right? I’m going into the army next week. No one mentioned anything about my joining Mossad!”

  “If everything goes according to plan, the small faction remaining will either be arrested or eliminated once the mission is accomplished.” Omri added. “With your help, we can have this mission completed successfully in less than a week.”

“This assignment will also replace your mandatory service in the IDF,” Nadav continued. “So you won’t have to wait until you turn eighteen next week. Your service begins immediately. Time is of the essence. I suggest you pack a few necessities, we leave in one hour.”

“Not a problem,” Hannah excitedly replied. “Let me take a quick shower, then I’ll grab my Go Bag and meet you downstairs.”

Packed and ready, Hannah met the agents where she was given the oath by Michel that made her an official Mossad agent. She said her good-byes to Aaron and Esther and to the only home she had known.

“Even though I didn’t give birth to you,” Esther hugged Hannah tightly as she held back tears. “I’ve come to think of you as my daughter. L’Chaim and sok sikert. (good luck).

“Feels like old times.” Hannah said from the back seat of the SUV as they drove away from the only home she had ever known. “I don’t suppose you’re going to tell me where we’re going?”

“Of course I can now. Our operation is only a few miles away. Shouldn’t take us more than an hour. Once we get you situated, I’ll brief you on the specifics of the mission, which will involve your elite computer hacking skills. I don’t anticipate any actual combat, but to be safe look in the compartment under your seat. I have something special for you.”

Hannah did as requested. She pulled a black case from under her seat. Upon opening it, she found a 22 LRS Beretta Model 70.

“It’s what all the cool kids are packing nowadays.” Nadav chuckled.

Hannah closed her eyes and took a much needed nap for the rest of the ride. Once they arrived as the unassuming office building, Hannah followed Nadav into an elevator which descended fifteen stories and led to a huge surveillance room. Hannah was unnerved to see all the rooms in her previous home displayed on one of the screens.

“So, that’s how you knew I’d found the photograph.”

“Yes, we positions cameras all over your home, except in the bathroom of course. Once we saw you find the photo of your family, we knew you’d start asking questions that only our agents were cleared to answer, which is why we showed up when we did.”

“That’s reassuring, I guess.”

           Nadav showed Hannah to her desk. The computer screen was sending code even before she sat down. It didn’t take her long to decipher the code and upload a virus straight to the main computer server on the other end. Once the virus was sent, Hannah watched the Mossad team infiltrate the headquarters of the ICO, guns blaring. The entire operation was over in under an hour.

           “Well, that’s it.” Nadav said, breathing a huge sigh.

           “That’s it?” Hannah was surprised.

           “The mission is over anyway. Now there is only one thing left for me to do.”

           Nadav pressed a button on the desk which opened a door on the far side of the room.

           “Hannah, meet your real parents, Reuben and Rivka Cohen. They’ve been waiting a very long time to meet you.”

           Tentative at first, Hannah wasn’t quite sure what to do. Her parents however has no such trepidation. Hugs, kisses, tears of joy, relief and gratitude were shared by all.

           “So, what now?” Hannah asked.

           “We’ve eliminated the threat to your lives, thanks to Hannah’s great computer skills, so you’re all free to go home and live your lives. And because of what you’ve sacrificed, Hannah can either stay in MOSSD now, or join the IDF but whatever you chose, you won’t have to start on your birthday. We’re giving you six months leave to be a normal teenager.”

           “Whatever that means.” Hannah replied.  

           “I think we’ll head home,” Rivka said. “We have a lot of catching up to do and I think Anna, I mean Hannah will enjoy meeting some people her own age. There are many social events at our Kibbutz. I’d like to also invite the Levy’s to visit us so we can be a real family.”

           “I totally understand. Go home, party, have fun. I’ll call you in a few months.”

           Over the next several months, Hannah, who now went by her birth name Anna Cohen through herself into her new found social life. Not having a chaperone any longer, she was free to go to cafés, restaurants, and dance clubs. She hiked, she swam and even took a few yoga classes instead of self-defense.

           The photo she had found in the attic was now in a gorgeous frame that hung on the wall in the entrance. So that her family would always be with her, Anna snapped a photo and used it as the wallpaper on her phone so whenever her parents would call, she would see the photo that brought them back into her life.       

           Before she knew it, six months had passed. The phone call she was dreading came the same day Aaron and Esther were coming for a visit. She hadn’t thought about her decision for a long time, and wasn’t looking forward to giving Nadav the bad news.

           “Hi Anna, it’s Nadav” said the familiar voice on the phone.

           “I know, I saw the caller ID.” Anna took a breath. “I’m not coming back, Nadav.”

           “I was afraid you’d say that. We really need your skills and I know you’d be a great Mossad agent.”

           “You may be right, but I’ve made my decision. I’m not coming back.”

           Another long pause.

           “You sure there isn’t anything I can say to change your mind?”

           “Nothing. I’m sorry, but no.”

           Emphasizing each word, Anna continued.

           “I’M…NOT…COMING… BACK!”

           “In that case, I’ll have to say good-bye. If you ever change your mind, you know how to reach me.”

Just as Anna ended the call, she heard the front doorbell. She hadn’t seen her former parents for months and it was great to finally get together. They planned on a week-long visit, which was perfect as Anna had been invited to a music concert and was leaving for an overnight with her new friends. Although her former parents were a bit disappointed, they understood how important her daughter’s new found freedom was. And it only one more day, then they would have lots of time to catch up.

           Anna waved good-bye as the car drove off towards the “ journey of unity and love” with “mind-blowing and breathtaking content”. The concert began around 10pm on Friday, just hours after the end of Israel’s week-long Sukkot religious festival. Anna was dancing to the music at 11pm. Seven hours later she was faced-down in desert sand as bullets flew overhead.

           Using all the skills she acquired during her Mossad training, she crawled to a secluded area where others had rushed to escape. Just then, her cell phone went off. The family photo illuminated her hiding place.

           “Anna, are you all right?” A frantic Rivka screamed. Anna could hear gunfire in the background of the call. “We’re being hit on all sides. Please be….”

           The phone went silent.

           “We’ve got to get out of here.” She whispered to the other terrified concert goers. “Follow me.”

           As she was taught, Anna stealthy crawled to where she saw a lone terrorist relieving himself. Before he had a chance to zip his pants, Anna lunged, grabbing the shoulder strap on his rifle, pulling it tightly until he passed out. Holding the rifle like an old friend she lead the other survivors to an abandoned car and hit the gas. All the while firing shots to cover their escape.

           She dropped off the others in the car once they were out of harm’s way, then made it to her home hoping it had somehow been spared from the onslaught. What awaited her was total destruction of what had been her home only a day before. As she made her way through what had been the living room, she knew instinctively no one was going to be there to greet her.

           The family photo she had found in the attic that day months ago which led her to her family was splattered with their blood.

           Anna picked up her cell phone and pressed the key.

“Nadav? This is Anna Cohen. I’m coming back.”


July 10, 2024 02:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.