116 comments

Romance

Part 1


Don’t you just love the summer break? You can just sit on the beach with an ice-cream in your hand, soaking in the morning rays with your besties. It’s so refreshing. Unless of course, you’re like me that is a super omega klutz, who sees Travis Mulligan (a.k.a. the man of my dreams) and drops whatever they’re holding at the time. In this case a chocolate ripple ice-cream. Yeah. Sounds soo relaxing, doesn’t it? I think not. Especially when you had to go and buy a new pair of bathers last week because the same thing happened to your old pair, only last time it was raspberry limeade now there’s a big, pink, blotchy stains on your $150 bikini set, that won’t wash out. But yeah, summer break is going so well.

“Sarah” I turn to face my friend. She’s already searching in her bag for some wet wipes.

“Sorry Jodi,” she says after a few minutes of sifting through her endless supply of make-up. “I’m all out of wipes.” She glanced back into her bag, and then at the now melting dessert, sliding down the front of my top.

“Please Sarah. You gotta have something. Even a make-up wipe will do. This is important. Travis is over there, and if he sees me like this, he’ll never want to go out with me.” She had to have a make-up wipe. She was always changing it to suit the occasion.

“That would mean we’ll never get married, have our three kids, a nice big house and a hamster named Mr Piggles.” I could see her resolve slowly breaking.

“Please Sarah. If you’re not going to do it for me, do it for Mr Piggles.” I beg with the aid of puppy dog eyes.

“Fine. You can have ONE packet. But this time don’t go using them all. Last time, I didn’t have any left, and I seriously needed them.”

Taking the packet from her I remember last time I had to use her make-up wipes. There was such a big stain that I unknowingly used them all trying to get it out. She had wanted them for later that night as it was her boyfriend Michael’s 19th birthday and they were going to the movies together to celebrate. She had made it so her make-up made her look sweet and innocent, later they had planned to go back to his place. She was hoping to make Michael’s birthday a night to remember. But apparently, to do that, you have to change your make-up, which involves taking off the make-up you already have on. I had gotten a call later that night from Sarah saying that it was because of me that she almost missed out on the chance of a lifetime.

“Yeah, that was life or death that was,” I reply, returning to my bather top.


“Okay, I think I’m just about done. What do you think?” I ask pushing out my chest so she could see better.

“Yeah, I think you got it. Wow, I thought that was another one that wouldn’t come out.”

“Yeah, me too,” I replied glancing over at Travis. He was shirtless and holding a red and black surfboard. The sun shoe off his tanned chest. I looked at his arms they looked strong yet somehow I felt they could be as gentle as a butterflies wing when he wished. As he turned to run into the surf, I couldn’t help but stare at his long blonde hair. It was the classic surfer hair cut; long but not so long that it was in his face. I force myself to look away. I can see Sarah looking at me with a bemused expression on her face.

“What? What’s that look for?” I ask.

“Nothing. Just contemplating if I’m gonna be a good friend or not. That’s all.” I just sit there and glare at her. After a while, my eyes begin to get sore, I lay back and close them.

I must have fallen asleep because when I next open my eyes most of the people were gone.

I can hear hushed voices coming from where I last remember Sarah was sitting. I Glance over and see her talking to Travis and Michael.

“What are you guys talking about?” I ask a smidgeon of fear leaking into my voice. “You guys better not be talking about me.”

“Nah we’re not. We’re talking about Travis actually.” Out of the corner of my eye, I see Travis give Sarah a dark look which I can’t quite grasp the meaning of.

“oh, what was it?” Travis shakes his head and says something to Michael under his breath.

“Nothing Jodi. Go back to sleep” he says with a yawn.

“Yeah. You know it’s not like you’re the one yawning at all is it?” I say with raised eyebrows.

“Good point. I’m gonna go get a burger and some booze. You can come over if you want. See you guys later.” He and Michael got up and grabbed their things. Michael pecked Sarah on the cheek and whispered something in her ear. She giggled and nodded a sly grin on her face.

“Yeah, I think I might go too.” She said after

“What for? What time is it.” I ask trying to look at her watch.

“It’s almost 4:30. We’ve been here all day.”

“Okay. But first, spill the beans. Come on. What was that about?”

“Nothing. Travis was just telling me about something.” She said playing with the necklace Michael had given her for their 1-year anniversary.

“Please Sarah. You know I hate being left in the dark.”

“Okay, but one quick thing.”

“Yes, anything, just tell me.”

“You gotta promise not to freak out or make a big fuss.”

“Yes, yes just tell me. I’m dying here.”

“No. You need to promise me. Not just because you want to hear what we were talking about, because you mean it.”

“Okay.”

“Can you keep a secret?”

***

author's note

***

Although this story may not make sense to some at the moment, once I have finished the whole story/ novel, things will start to make a little bit more sense. Just like everyone, I had to meet a deadline, only, for me, that was not very long at all. I have spent most of the week trying to come up with essays and letters for school. It takes a lot out of you. Especially in remote learning. So please try not to be too harsh with your comments.

August 21, 2020 02:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

116 comments

PAMELA ABWAO
23:53 Sep 08, 2020

Would you mind writing PART 2; I'm following

Reply

C.J Dunstall
22:35 Sep 09, 2020

I have I am just waiting for the right prompt.

Reply

Show 0 replies
C.J Dunstall
07:20 Oct 01, 2020

Hey just letting you know the next chapter is out. Hope you like it

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
. .
23:30 Sep 07, 2020

Such a great story! I can't wait for part/ chapter 2

Reply

C.J Dunstall
23:47 Sep 07, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

. .
23:49 Sep 07, 2020

Np!

Reply

C.J Dunstall
23:51 Sep 07, 2020

Hey, I made a forms thing I was wondering if you could cast a vote? Anyone you think is the nicest writer/ person on reedsy.

Reply

. .
23:52 Sep 07, 2020

Sure, I'll do it right now

Reply

C.J Dunstall
23:53 Sep 07, 2020

Thank you 😊

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
C.J Dunstall
07:20 Oct 01, 2020

Hey just letting you know the next chapter is out. Hope you like it

Reply

Show 0 replies
C.J Dunstall
07:20 Oct 01, 2020

Hey just letting you know the next chapter is out. Hope you like it

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 3 replies

Hey C.j thx for the follow. I really liked this story, and I can't wait to read part 2!

Reply

C.J Dunstall
02:22 Feb 11, 2021

Thx I hope u like it

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
13:25 Jan 27, 2021

Wow great job!!! I loved how fun it was!!! Imma go read the second part nowwww

Reply

Show 0 replies
11:28 Nov 10, 2020

Hii, CJ Sorry to intervene, in this brutal manner, I have a request for you would be kind to give a single glance over the vehicle which my team had been working over months. https://www.instagram.com/p/CHX5VUPBJOp/?igshid=5f72nb3cgg30 Sorry to take your time and If possible like the post.Because this would help team to win

Reply

C.J Dunstall
23:49 Nov 10, 2020

yeah sure thing I don't have insta tho but i would love to take a look

Reply

01:25 Nov 11, 2020

You can try Facebook https://www.facebook.com/107511679330076/posts/3509094779171732/

Reply

C.J Dunstall
22:13 Nov 11, 2020

wow I love it it looks so awesome! great job! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.