0 comments

Kids

Once upon a time, in ancient Russia, 8 Matryushka dolls were kept under a Victorian table at a lovely home. They were alluring to the eye, with their red head covers enveloping their golden locks of hair. Below the scarves lay the most intricately designed beige Sarafan, the traditional Russian skirt. They enticed each person who looked into their deep blue eyes. 


However, their beauty was merely a trick to shield their hideous personality. One day, a cruel witch came to the owner’s home, knocking grotesquely at the door. As a gorgeous woman in blue named Natasha opened the door, the witch barged into the house. As the owner questioned the witch as to why she had come here, the witch cackled and said, “I have come here to take away my children, the Matryushka dolls!” Puzzled, the woman said “These are not yours, I bought them 15 years ago in Moscow with my elder brother” “NO! I am telling you these are my dolls; now why would I be lying?!” Terrified, Natasha quickly hid underneath her Victorian table. The witch said “NOW, PROMISE ME THAT YOU SHALL NOT TELL ANYBODY ABOUT THIS!” She was shocked and her eyes started to well up. Instantly, her cheeks were covered with tears. As her tears of fear and shock fell on the floor, they touched the feet of the Matryushka dolls.

Since the tears were caused by black magic, the tears themselves had black magic. As the magical tears touched the dolls, each one of the dolls came alive. As they started to creep away, Natasha’s face became pale with hints of blue creeping into her veins; her fear would’ve been noticed by all. 

Each doll screeched in unison with the others,

“We are the Matryushka; you should fear us all;

For we shall wreak havoc even though we may look small;                                                             

Your days shan’t be good for as soon as we invade;         

You shall have to plan your fearful escapade;                                              

We are the Matryushka; and you shall fear us all.”                             

Natasha knew what they were going to do. According to an old wives’ tale, every 10,000 years the Matryushka dolls became alive and destroyed whole of Russia, throwing children in the fire and burning down houses. The only person who could save them would be the one who owned the Matryushka when they came alive. Understanding the situation and taking so much stress took their toll on Natasha, she soon fainted. 

Hours later, when she finally woke up, she realized the dolls had scampered away and the witch left no trace of her existence. Soon, Natasha decided to console herself by thinking that it was just a dream. However, the slight bit of doubt that was lurking in her mind was proven when the royal messenger formally announced at the town square, that the Matryushka had come alive! 

Frightened, she irrationally decided that she would be the reason the world would die. Little did she know, the royal family already knew that she was the owner of the dolls. The messenger later added “Natasha Kosovo, From Herenzegova shall now be responsible for the safety of the kingdom”. Listening to this, her chest caved in, for she already thought the world would suffer because of her, but now, the world knew she was responsible. At that moment, she didn’t care about the safety of the world; she just wanted to be left alone to cry. 

But she then thought, if she in fact succeeded, the world would adore her. This gave her the courage to fight back. She galloped to her home and immediately started practicing certain moves to help her kill the dolls. She knew one trick, if she struck a holy knife into the heart of the biggest doll; all the other dolls would come back to their statue form.


A day later, she went back to the town square in hopes of getting updates from the royal messenger about the dolls and witch. After an hour of waiting, the messenger came to the square riding in a magnificent sleek marble chariot and announced that the guards had found a half-black and half-white heart, signifying the heart of a witch. This meant the witch was dead! Excited and relieved, Natasha took a long deep breath. Good news like this was just what she needed at times like these. However, a few hours later, bad news came flooding in. The guards found the skeletons of thirteen boys hanging on the willow tree. The messenger also added to say that all houses in row number 13 were burnt on Friday. Angered and disappointed at her incapability of helping those innocent children and the joyful families, Natasha set out on a quest of hunting down the Matryushka within 7 days.

She scanned each inch of Russia as days passed. With no luck, she could not find even one of the dolls. Since Natasha was a very religious Russian orthodox, she went to the most well-known priest of Russia. As she walked through the deep snow of Russian winters, she finally arrived to church. Over there, she saw the priest praying and reciting the rosary. Abruptly, Natasha interrupted and exclaimed “Dear priest, I am sorry for interrupting you, but I seek your wisdom. Do you have any knowledge about where the Matryushka dolls are?” “Yes child, I forgive you. About the dolls, I have been protecting all Russians from the powers of the cursed witch and so I know quite about her children, a horrendous creation made from the mud of the depths of the jungles. Their lair is far away in the deep caverns of Kosovo. It is quite a journey but the destination is worth it.”. “Thank you, priest,” said Natasha in return. 

Natasha took the priest’s leave and started with her journey. She mapped out her journey. At the start, she would have to face the layers of snow and encounters with the Siberian tiger. Second, she would have to swim across the Koshnyak River. Third and lastly, she would have to climb up Mt. Borscht, the tallest mountain in all of Europe. 

As she began with her journey, the snow made her shiver and send chills down her spine. Unfortunately, she lost 2 fingers to the harsh frostbite of Russian winters. When she reached the river, she became puzzled, for she could not swim in such freezing waters. With great difficulty, she finally constructed a raft. When she reached the base of Mt. Borscht, in Kosovo, she was petrified. The mountain was so tall. She gulped in her throat in hopes of gulping down her fear. At the end, she climbed up the mountain. This is where her most difficult times begun. As she reached the cavern, she heard a dreadful petrifying hum in the depths of the cave. She took a quick glimpse in the cavern and hid behind a slab of stone. This is when she saw the dolls all having a discussion planning their extremist plans. In hopes of surprising the Matryushka dolls, Natasha silently tip-toed to them and tried to get hold of the biggest dolls head. Horrifyingly, the biggest doll twisted her head and contorted her neck to face Natasha and stared with blood red eyes. 

The doll exclaimed “You shall not be able to kill me...FOR I SHALL KILL YOU”. The doll immediately struck a knife into Natasha’s stomach, causing Natasha to cough up glasses of blood. In anger Natasha tried to strike the doll’s head but missed and fell to the rocky floor. The dolls all cackled and said “Now, state your last wishes. For now, we shall take your live and take it with us to hell.” 

With great difficulty, Natasha said “Come to me, leader of the dolls and finish me. I surrender!” Suspecting nothing, the biggest doll came onto the chest of Natasha and said “HA! Your last memory shall be of a haunted doll crawling on your body”. “No” said Natasha “It shall be the memory of killing the doll which terrorised all of Russia” said Natasha as she struck her holy knife into the doll’s heart. Although Natasha was bound to die, she knew she died for the greater good. With that, our story comes to an end and I can prove to you that story was real, for I am the evil doll who lives on. 

May 26, 2020 09:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.