Pablo's Wisdom

Submitted into Contest #260 in response to: Write a story with a big twist.... view prompt

45 comments

Fiction

It caught her eye, winked at her, made her fall in love. She just had to add it to her collection. Right there, on the modest table, among all the other market stands was the vase. A beautiful, ethereal pale green jade vase. She stopped, carefully, almost reverently lifted it off the table, felt its weight, held it up to the light and knew it was hers.

Exploring, traveling, learning about cultures different from her own, attempting to master at least a few words of the language, as well as seeing the sights, comparing architectural styles and art, had been ingrained. She had traveled with her parents since she was a small child. Learning had been encouraged and expected.

She loved her consulting job mainly because it involved much travel. Those trips hadn’t always been roses and sunshine. There had been plenty of times when travel plans turned out to be just that, plans. Hype with not even a polite nod toward reality. Shifty drivers with rickety vans, ox carts instead of buses, barely clean hotels, dodgy food. Through it all she had learned to go with the flow, smile and calculate how many dollars it would take to get her out of this pickle.

Photography wasn't really her thing. Didn’t want to spend half her life behind a lens, but preferred to absorb the sights, the architecture, costumes, culture, and nature with her own eyes.

“When the time comes that I can’t remember where I have been.” She declared, often. “An old grainy photo won’t help me, but a beautiful item, a piece of art, I will enjoy my whole life.”  

Wherever she was, she much preferred to walk around with her eyes open, taking in all she could see, smell, taste and touch. Always skipping the souvenir stores, nothing as gawdy as ‘Greeting from Brighton’ for her. She’d much rather explore antiques shops or artisans’ ateliers. Maybe, now and then, she had been jibbed, maybe they, correctly, pegged her as a sightseer. She didn’t concern herself with that. As long as she valued what she had bought, it didn’t matter.

This long habit of bringing home at least one item, one artifact from each trip had accumulated into a large, be it eclectic collection of fine art and locally made pieces she felt were worth displaying. For instance, in Naples she found a miniature painting of Capri. The inlaid side table came from Mexico. The hand painted tiles in the kitchen back splash were from Greece. The crystal wine glasses were bought in Prague. The exquisite amber necklace came from Finland. The delicate soapstone sculpture had been made in Alaska. The silk shawl, shot with gold thread was hand loomed in India. She owned several pieces of opal jewelry she bought in Australia, on and on

On her most recent trip to Honshu, she had almost walked by the small stand in the market. Then backed up and stared. Surely, she had never seen anything like this vase. The elegant shape, the exquisite color. It had to be one of a kind. When she picked it up, stroked the warm stone, she was sold.

She couldn’t pass this up, could she? No, she couldn’t. Dutifully, she haggled with the shrewd vendor, though she was convinced she was robbing the old man. He carefully wrapped the vase in old newspaper and handed it to her.

Delighted with her unique find, she walked away. When she was well out of sight of the stall, the man reached under the table and put another, identical vase on display.

When she came home from her trip, she unpacked her treasures and carefully placed the vase in the middle of the low table in the center of the room. Each day when she came home, she would sit on her sofa and admire the vase.

Gradually she became aware that something was off.

It took weeks of experimenting. Placing the vase here, then there, up high, in this light or that corner. She added flowers, different greenery. Each time she put it back on her coffee table. She became more and more obsessed, trying to find the answer. How could one object she found so beautiful not fit in her room? Finally, she saw the answer. It was so obvious. How come she hadn’t seen it before? The room simply didn’t fit around the vase. The wall color clashed with the vase’s unique shade of jade green.

The next day she contacted a painting service. “I want the walls to be the exact color of this vase,” she explained.

“No problem, ma’am.” The painter assured her.

The job, painting the one room, was finished in a few hours. When she came home from work, she called the painter. “it’s not the right color. Please do it again.”

“Yes ma’am.”

Four, five times the painter came back, each time she wasn’t satisfied. Finally, the painter, utterly frustrated, at his wit’s end, called Pablo.

“I know you’re retired,” he said by way of apology. “But your eye for color is unsurpassed. I’ve done everything I know to satisfy her demand, but there is no pleasing her. I know, I know. The client is always right, but … Could you please help me out and match the wall color to the blasted vase. I’m losing money on this one room.”

“Sure,” Pablo would never admit it, but he was getting bored sitting at home. Surely his wife could manage one  morning without his supervision. “I’ll be there tomorrow.”

The next morning, she was waiting for him. “They say you’ll be able to fix this problem for me.”

“Yes, ma’am. I will.” He unloaded his tools while she stood by and watched. Before he started to mix his paints, he turned to her.

“I was wondering, ma’am. do you think you could get me a cup of coffee? I specifically like the coffee at that place on the other side of town, I don’t know what they do to make it special, but it’s unique.” He enthuses.

She shrugged. If he could make her room look just right, she’d go to Rio to get his coffee. Driving to the other side of town and back took her a little over an hour. When she finally returned with the cup of tepid coffee, Pablo had just finished and was washing his brushing and pans. While he loaded his supplies on the truck, she walked into the room, looks at the vase and the walls, back to the vase and smiled.

“You did it! You are a miracle worker. Oh, my! You are worth every penny.”

Pablo smiled, nodded, and as soon as he had finished loading his truck, he wished her a good day and drove off.

She gushed and praised Pablo to the painter who had recommended him.

Pablo’s phone rang a little later in the day.

“Tell me, what is your secret?” The painter begged. “Whatever you did, she’s ecstatic, can’t say enough wonderful things about you. How in the world did you finally match the wall to that vase?”

“Well,” Pablo answered thoughtfully. “Sometimes you have to paint the vase.”

July 19, 2024 16:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

45 comments

Alexis Araneta
14:58 Jul 20, 2024

Ha ! The last sentence ! A truly magical, (literally) colourful piece ! Splendid work, as usual, Trudy !

Reply

Trudy Jas
15:03 Jul 20, 2024

Thanks, Alexis. Had a little fun with this one.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy Mcfayden
21:56 Aug 02, 2024

Very god ,you even got a smile from me ,so well done

Reply

Trudy Jas
23:54 Aug 02, 2024

Thank you ,Wendy. Don't you normally smile? 🙂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
KA James
23:10 Jul 31, 2024

I actually like the buildup better than the end (not that the end isn't good as well), the idea that it's not so much that you get what you pay for as it is, if you like it, doesn't matter what you paid, or even if it's genuine - or I guess painted over

Reply

Trudy Jas
00:17 Aug 01, 2024

Thank you, I totally agree, besides ignorance is bliss. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
00:25 Jul 31, 2024

Hi Trudy. What a delightful story with a shocking twist. I'm sure she will find out soon enough, on examining the vase, but I believe she will think it was done by the market vendor. What a laugh.

Reply

Trudy Jas
00:37 Jul 31, 2024

Thanks, Kaitlyn. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Whether she'll ever find out? It is fiction, so I say no. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Debbie Wingate
18:16 Jul 30, 2024

I loved the idea that she preferred using her senses and items to trigger memories over photographs. I laughed when the vendor replaced her one-of-a-kind vase with an exact replica after she left. I guessed what would happen when Pablo sent her across town for coffee, but it was still very satisfying to hear him say it. Thank you for a great read,

Reply

Trudy Jas
20:07 Jul 30, 2024

Thanks Debbie. I'm glad you enjoyed all of the story. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
TE Wetzel
23:29 Jul 29, 2024

Great finish, Trudy. I was wondering how Pablo was going to pull the rabbit out of the hat. Thanks for the smile.

Reply

Trudy Jas
00:53 Jul 30, 2024

Thanks, Thomas. My contractor gave me that line in another context. It has been sitting around, patiently waiting for a story. Some lines are more patient than others. Most of them want to be at the beginning of a story. 😊

Reply

TE Wetzel
01:48 Jul 30, 2024

Totally understand what you mean! I am writing a story around the same thing for this week's prompt "Write a story about an unsung hero" because I read this quote from Gavrilo Princip, a Serbian anarchist and assassin who essentially set off two world wars that killed tens of millions, and it made me want to write a story around it. (I think I can make the argument that he was an unsung hero.) “Our shadows will walk through Vienna, wander the court, frighten the lords.”

Reply

Trudy Jas
02:54 Jul 30, 2024

Unsung for a good reason, sure. And yes, the reason the masses were preferred to have been uneducated (by the lords) was because they could scare the pants of them. Can't wait to see what you come up with. But since enough people died b/c of keep the death toll to a minimum. :-)

Reply

TE Wetzel
03:44 Jul 30, 2024

Non-fiction so the death toll isn't up to me. Approximately 25 million, plus another 80 million casualties. No big deal...

Reply

Trudy Jas
11:04 Jul 30, 2024

Not for you, I know. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Carol Stewart
22:27 Jul 29, 2024

Love it! One to tell my painter and decorator daughter for sure!

Reply

Trudy Jas
22:35 Jul 29, 2024

Thanks, Carol. My contractor gave me the line. So, yes. Pass it on!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Brandon Ohl
06:03 Jul 29, 2024

That was fun to read! 'Hype with not even a polite nod toward reality.' is a really good line. I was hooked till the very end! The last sentence of your story was set up so well and it landed perfectly.

Reply

Trudy Jas
11:46 Jul 29, 2024

Thank you, Brandon. I'll take a perfect landing every day. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Holly Pfeiffer
23:51 Jul 27, 2024

I really liked it. Nice twist!

Reply

Trudy Jas
00:07 Jul 28, 2024

Thanks, Holly. So glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
21:46 Jul 27, 2024

Sometimes a story really needs a stupid character to have an excellent turn. Loved this character.

Reply

Trudy Jas
22:07 Jul 27, 2024

Thanks, Syed. Just to be sure. Which one is the "stupid" character? LOL

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mark Gagnon
14:59 Jul 27, 2024

Interesting and logical twist.

Reply

Trudy Jas
15:03 Jul 27, 2024

Thanks, Mark. I assume we like logic?

Reply

Mark Gagnon
02:26 Jul 31, 2024

I do like logic, especially if it has a twist. Too bad none of the other readers seem to. Thanks, Trudy!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Hannah Lynn
13:52 Jul 27, 2024

Hahahaha! That was a great ending! I loved all the travel trivia as well :)

Reply

Trudy Jas
14:48 Jul 27, 2024

:-) Thanks, Hannah. (Didn't make it to "pizza") LOL

Reply

Hannah Lynn
15:35 Jul 27, 2024

Lol! One day when you’re in the neighborhood you’ll make it there!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
00:29 Jul 31, 2024

I'm sure you'd buy a tiny replica of the Leaning Tower. It's all the rage over there you know. Had to chip in.

Reply

Trudy Jas
00:38 Jul 31, 2024

Oh, Kaitly. Never! But I'll have a pizza. LOL

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Nina H
13:21 Jul 27, 2024

Ha! I love it! 😂

Reply

Trudy Jas
13:42 Jul 27, 2024

LOL Thank you, Nina.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Martha Kowalski
19:01 Jul 21, 2024

Wow, I loved it - there was some magic in that last line

Reply

Trudy Jas
19:08 Jul 21, 2024

LOL. Thanks, Martha. Sometimes you have to misdirect, sleight of hand.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
14:06 Jul 20, 2024

Nice stretch. Colorful twist. After the first gaff with the vase I somehow guessed it would be about that item.

Reply

Trudy Jas
14:24 Jul 20, 2024

Thanks, Mary. My contractor gave me the line, just had to add a whole lot of words to use it. :-)

Reply

Mary Bendickson
14:27 Jul 20, 2024

Very good.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Keba Ghardt
02:04 Jul 20, 2024

Great misdirecting details to keep us guessing, and still precisely satisfying

Reply

Trudy Jas
02:24 Jul 20, 2024

(Big smile!) Thank you, Keba. When my con tractor told me the story, I just had to stretch it to at least 1000 words. Glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
20:49 Jul 19, 2024

I love the story. The last sentence - perfect.

Reply

Trudy Jas
21:08 Jul 19, 2024

Thank you, Darvico. :-) My contractor gave me that line.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Myranda Marie
17:35 Jul 19, 2024

Ha !!!!!! Excellent twist !!!! It's all about perspective, isn't it? Another amazing read !!!

Reply

Trudy Jas
18:11 Jul 19, 2024

Thanks! :-) As long as she's happy.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.