Tusks and Dagger Part Fifty-Six: To Run or Not to Run!

Written in response to: Write a story that includes someone saying, “You can’t run forever.”... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Fantasy Friendship

Darwin:

Helios jumped around me, a shadowy hand ripped us through. Tommy leapt in at the last minute, the three of us standing in some sort of a depressing landscape of gray dead trees. Jumping onto my shoulders, his tail tickled my nose. Shadows darted around me, my hand rested on my hip. Pulling out my scythe, the stench of death tainted the air. Picking up Helios, his tongue licked my cheek, his head snuggling into the nape of my neck. Hopping from my shoulders something told me to run. Sprinting deeper into the forest, the number of the shadows doubled. Ice crept out from the shadows, Cauchemar stepping out to block my path. Wicked laughter rumbled in his throat, his giant hand picking me up off of the ground. His stringy hair danced in the wind of his own energy, his robes swaying in another one. Malice glittered in his eyes, Tommy running off to get some help. Jumping through a small opening, a whack to the back of my head knocked me into utter darkness.

Groaning awake, my blurred vision focused on a dungeon wall. Helios paced next to me, his wings opening and closing. Shaking my wrists, the shackles holding me to the wall rattled in response. Huffing in annoyance, this wasn’t my first time in a situation like this. Cauchemar sauntered up to the metal bars, his evil grin pissing me off. Unable to contact the God of Death inside of me, I had to work something out. My scythe taunted me with how close it was.

“Stay like a good boy until your mother shows up.” He sneered darkly, his wicked grin widening. “I have to prepare a lovely treat for her. See you later, brat!” Kicking my worn boots, a vial of glowing potion rolled by my hip. Angling my wrist right, a whack on the wall shattered my bones. Sinking my teeth into my bottom lips, a whimper escaped my lips. My father would lock me up like this, another flood of bad memories causing me to wince. Sliding my hand out, the limp hand made me want to scream out. Gritting my teeth in pain, it took seconds to break my other hand. Sliding it through, Helios carried the glass vial up to me. Placing it in my mouth, a quick bite shattered the glass. Letting the liquid slide down my throat, the sole thing I could do was watch my bones click back into place. Struggling to my feet, Helios bounced around my feet as I gripped the bars. Heating them until they glowed red, a kick had them rolling across the floor. Scooping up Helios along with my scythe, I climbed into the nearest closet. Chaos erupted outside of the closet, a bit of cool air nipping at the line between my black wool pants and my boots. Feeling the wall, a secret door swung open. Squeezing into the tunnel, my mother’s voice had dread bubbling in my gut. Clinging to the wall, her footfalls echoed on the other side. Pausing on the other side, her palm was inches from mine. 

“Darwin, is that you on the other side?” She inquired sweetly, Somy yelling at her to keep it down. “Stand back so I can kick the door down.” Running up the tunnel a bit, her heel smashing the rock. Poking her head in, her arms waited for me to smash into them. Leaping into her arms, her lips smothered me in feverish kisses. Sweeping us into the tunnel, her hand never let go of mine as we crashed through the twisted hallways. Running until we couldn’t, we skidded to a stop at the edge of the realm. A train whistled in the distance, the train squealing to halt. Loading me, Somy ruffled my hair as he helped her. Chugging out of the shadows, cuts and bruises covered Lottie’s skin. Guilt ate at me, Tommy padding over to me. Snuggling his head into my neck, his tongue worked on my wounds. Emmie shuffled over to her in his usual uniform, concern dimming his eyes. Ice whistled by the train, Somy begging for her to relax. Shaking her head, her lips brushed against the top of my head. Pulling herself out of the window, her boots clanged on the top of the train. Blades clashed violently, Somy standing guard in front of me. Stop running and hiding! Horror rounded our eyes at Cauchemar lowering himself in, his cut up skin speaking of the damage she did. My eyes glowed to life, my guide coming out. Towering me, he dropped her limp body. Spinning my scythe over my head, rage burned in my eyes. Whimpering in her own growling pool of blood, her hand reached for me. 

“Stop.” She begged weakly, coughing up blood. “You can leave it to us to protect y-” Passing out, Emmie dragged her away from the scene. Charging at him, our blades clashed violently. Roaring behind me, he stumbled back in horror. The fear of death held all accountable, blood pouring from my nose. How was my training with my mother not helping me? Lottie called out, silver vines creeping across the floor. Curling up his leg, a scream burst from my lips at spikes impaling him. 

“Run!” She shouted with what little voice she had left, Cauchemar tugging at the vines. My vision blurred, my body hitting the floor. Decaying her vines, he marched towards me. Raising his blade over my head, a battle cry burst from Lottie’s lips the moment she took the hit for me. Somy cried out, his blade sliding through her stomach.  Marching towards him, her scythe swung towards his neck. Disappearing in a puff of smoke, she collapsed into a heap. Crawling over to me, silent tears streamed down her cheeks. Taking my hand, her worn smile didn’t make the situation any better. Watching my guide go back into my body, Somy moved onto Lottie. Fishing around the pocket of his pants, his face paled at the lack of healing potions. Unable to move, Somy gasped in wonder as a field of healing flowers blossomed around him. 

“Brew any combination of those flowers in hot water. Make some tea.” I choked out as a rough darkness stole me away. 

Standing in my old village, a harsh wind blew my hair around. My old man lurched towards me with a wicked gleam in my eyes, his hair bouncing with each step. Stains covered his blouse, a broken bottle glistening in the pale moonlight.  Staring down at my hands, they reminded me of the day my mother died. 

“She died because of you!” He roared thunderously, waving it around. Stumbling to my feet, the villagers watched on as I crashed into the forest. Fear mixed with despair, the color draining from my cheeks. Branches scratched my cheeks, my lungs begging for air with every step. Tripping over a branch, his boots echoed behind me. Stop running! Screaming into the dirt, the glass bottle smashed against the back of my head. Blood pooled around me, his fingers digging into my hair. Lifting me off the bloody ground, he dragged me back by the hair. Chaining me to the wall of our basement, his fury filled eyes hovered inches from mine. 

“You deserve to die with your mother, you filthy half-breed!” He bellowed venomously, his hand striking me across the face. Snapping my head up, a defiant grin brightened my determined face. Enough running, it was time to face my fear. 

“No.” I sobbed with an even bigger grin, his hand gripping my chin. “You are nothing but a drunk who let out everything on me! I hate you!  You should have died that day not her!” His hand raised in the air, Lottie taking the hit with her arms folded across her chest. Kicking him into the wall, the chains disintegrated. Catching me in my arms, the horrid basement faded to a silver pool of water with rose bushes around the edge. Plopping down on the edge, she held me on her lap. 

“You found your bravery.” She mused with a chuckle, her hands cupping mine. “I am so proud of you. We only have to ride this dream out until I get healed and then we can join the real world. Didn’t I tell you that I would always protect you?” Uncontrollable sobs wracked my body, her hand spinning me around. Burying my head into my chest, her lips kissed the top of my head. 

“Why do you love me?” I sniffled, her finger lifting up my chin. Donning her genuine smile, her hand slid up to my cheek. Wiping away my tears, her head shook. Burying my head into the nape of her neck, her sweet scent relaxed my fraying nerves. 

“A crazy lady picked me up after my mother died and my life turned out okay. They raised me to be the leader I am today. Someday you will go on some journey and discover what the world has to offer. I can only hope that you learn from me.” She spoke warmly, my ears perking up. “What I want is to grow your powers properly. Maybe you can visit my homeland and spend a weekend with my parents.” Joy twinkled in my eyes, her hand cupping my cheek. Viktor was fun but I didn’t want to leave her side, her love for me making my world brighter. Without her I would have never seen the light in life, silent tears staining her cheeks. A deep sadness hid beneath her smile, a distant stare taking over her kind gaze. Knowing not to push the issue, her boots splashed in the water coyly. Sitting down next to her, a broken smile rested on her lips. Taking her hand, nothing needed to be said. What was she running away from? Gathering up my courage, I needed to ask her an important question. 

“What are you running from?” I pointed out simply, a strained huh leaving her lips. Gripping my hand tighter, a bit of light returned to her eyes. 

“I love how astute you are. I am running from loads of things but mostly from the people who died to get me here. Missing my parents and home is another thing to run from. Do you know what made it all worth it?” She paused with her real smile, her arm draping over my shoulder. “You guys do. Pain and suffering are a part of the territory. I got to meet the most amazing kid in the world. I think his name is Darwin. Do you know him?” Nudging my shoulders, a wave of her hand had a single silver rose floating into her palm. Spinning it around her fingers, a rare moment of serenity softened her features. 

“Life has thorns and mine isn’t any different.” She continued with another quiet laugh, a silver petal floating into my palm. “A dragon rests in my soul, and I have to live with the fact that your brothers are reincarnations. I only wish that I had their permission first. People always adore me without seeing the dark side of me.” Ruffling my hair, it was rare for her to open up so much. Resting my head on her arm, I knew that I would always be protected by her. A bright light blinded us, a rush of air taking us back to the real world. 

Lottie groaned awake with me, her bedroom greeting our eyes. Her hands rested on the dirty gauze, Somy coming in with clean supplies. Lighting up at the sight of us struggling to sit up, his slender hand helped her sit up. Undoing the gauze, an inflamed scar had my head bowing in shame. A line of blood dripped from the small opening, Lottie’s eyes falling on me. Ruffling my hair, Boran popped his head in with more of my special tea. Plopping down next to us, he passed her the cup of tea. Sipping on the glowing tea, Boran turned his attention to me. Examining me for any wounds, he buried me in a bear hug. Tears soaked the top of my head, his quiet sobs increasing my guilt. 

“I am so happy you are okay. I can’t live without my little man.” He wept joyfully, relief dripping in his voice. Sudden sobs wracked my body, frustration brewing in my eyes. Cupping my cheek, his crooked grin did little to ease my nerves. So much of Viktor’s personality resonated in the way he carried himself, Lottie coughing up a bit of blood. 

“Why don’t you take him to get some breakfast or something?” She suggested with a big smile, her friends piling in. Mary and her sister held their swollen bumps, Somy’s older brother arguing with him about who was going to take the next shift. Dark bags hollowed out his eyes, their protests falling on deaf ears. Giving in to Avy and the girls, he joined Boran and me. The twin lords took positions outside of the door, Boran placing me on his shoulders. Walking silently next to each other, Somy cleared his throat. 

“We need to get to the castle or he will take it over.” He pointed out pensively, grimacing with each step. A new limp had developed in the previous fight, Boran noticing his own pain. The demon lords waved at us as they carried baskets of gifts in Lottie’s direction. The goddess carried my three brothers in her direction, her smile melting my heart. What castle did he mean? Boran huffed, a snarl twitching to life. 

"We  have been safe here and you want to uproot all of that!” He refuted bitterly, Somy massaging his forehead. “Why are you so insistent on that!” Growls rumbled in Somy’s throat, his hand resting on the hip of his clean pants. Snapping his fingers, a portal opened up in front of us. 

“Why don’t I show you myself?” He snapped hotly, his patience wearing thin. “That damn place is her proper home and it needs to be brought back to l-” Chaos erupted behind us, a disheveled Lottie ran from her frustrated friends. Smashing into Boran with the twins in her slings, Mishal giggled away on her hips. Pushing us through, the portal slammed shut behind us. Wonder brightened Boran’s eyes while Lottie looked seconds from a panic attack. Mumbling under her breath, her torn dress exposed the new scars. 

“They kind of overwhelmed me.” She blurted out with an apologetic smile, her hand touching a wilting tree bringing the land back to life. Silver roses bloomed along the pathway, the castle repairing itself. Every expression softened, the demon lord and ladies opening up their own portal. Everyone piled in, Lottie hiding behind Avy. Any anger dissipated at the glittering castle, the towers groaning into place. Energy built in the air, a wave of clarifying magic washed over the land. Black ash drifted into the sky, one shrill shriek echoed in the air. Lust cursed under her breath, her hands resting on her hips.  

“I didn’t know this place existed. So she does wake up for the queen.” She commented in awe, her hand reaching for Lottie. “Boran, are you okay?” Standing in a numb bit of shock, he lowered me down. Creeping out from behind Somy, her fingers intertwined with hers. Dragging her in, both of their emerald dresses fluttered with each step. The others rushed in, Somy and him hanging back. 

“This is the castle.” He gasped with an apologetic smile, a silver dome glowing to life. “What does Lust mean by legend?” Somy chuckled lightly, his eyes falling on me. His onyx blouse danced in a warm breeze, silver water pouring out of a rose sculpted fountain. 

“The queen destroyed this place the moment she died to protect it from any darkness. Only those who have a heart of gold can bring her back to life. She had to work through some guilt but here we are.” He explained with a rare sense of serenity, his hand ruffling my hair. “Care to see what is rightfully hers. I even bet there is a gift for you guys. Go on.” Sending us ahead, a wonderful silver marble wall glistened the moment we entered. Everyone had separated, the explorers crying with joyous bewilderment. Somy let himself in, his hands locking the door behind him. Motioning for us to follow him, a silver key swung on his finger. Our footfalls echoed down the empty halls, Somy guiding us to a shimmering ivory door. Pressing the key into my father’s palm, Boran picked it up to examine it. 

“That door can take you anywhere in the kingdom. Think about where you want to go. You will still have to take the train back but this is her escape hatch. Think about home and put her in.” He urged with a Cheshire Cat grin, Boran’s hand shaking as he slid the key into the lock. Pushing it open, a lovely field with strange flowers danced in the wind. Pushing his hand through, Boran ripped it back. Silent tears stained his cheeks, Lottie sneaking in with a huff. Time slowed down, her palm pressing against an invisible wall. It was clear that she couldn’t go home. Crouching down to my level, her hand cupped my cheeks. Wet eyes met my wistful expression, her body beginning to tremble. 

“If you are ever in danger, run through this door and look for Viktor. This is my homeland and this kingdom in my new home.” She wept with a broken smile, despair haunting her. “I want you to have the best of both worlds.” Draping my arms around her neck, her arms clutched me desperately. Burying my head into the nape of her neck, her tears soaked the top of my head. They would always be my family.

February 02, 2024 15:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.