0 comments

Thriller Science Fiction Suspense

ERROR

By: Suzie Blackthorn



She clicked her wheelchair. As always, everyone's eyes were on her. She was sick of everyone looking at her because she couldn't use her legs. Her nanny sighed and roughly rolled her away, as if to be embarrassed.


"A cripple shouldn't be given much attention, they will die even with your efforts."


Everybody said it with their eyes. But no one dared to say it out loud. She’d rather have someone scorn her than have someone stare her down. 


Her parents were the CEOs of the great company, MARK, which had a network of millions. She didn’t care much though. Each day, her siblings fought endlessly in order to win Father’s favor and inheritance from the family. But as usual, they never fought her. They never considered her as an opponent in the first place.


She was useless, and was so clearly unloved by the way her hospital bills were paid from her brother, not the parents themselves. Her only, real, biological brother, Theodore, was a loving and caring person. He held a high position and was a potential successor with the Father’s favor. She was only still there because Theo insisted on it. She was happy. She needed someone to call her by her nickname, Cal.


Her full name was Callista Madelyn Robinson, but nobody called her by it. She was “that girl” or “the cripple.” The names meant nothing to her. As long as Theo called her Cal, everything was fine.


And she knew she wasn't beautiful. Her eyes were way too big and were in a ugly shade of blue. Her siblings all had brown or hazel eyes. Her hair was a dirty blonde unlike the pretty golden hair her family had. She was the ugly duckling.


“Hey Cripple. Father’s calling you, so hurry up and go. The elevator isn't working today. Good luck!” Callista’s half sister, Sephora, giggled with her gang of girls and ran up the stairs as if to mock her. The nanny’s face scrunched up and rolled her up the ramp.


When she reached Father’s room, she knocked and entered when she received permission. The rich man sat before his daughter and looked at her with distaste. Callista looked calmly into his eyes. She wasn’t afraid of this man’s gaze.


“Callista Madelyn Robinson.”


What now?


“You got a letter. Take it.” She looked up in surprise. An invitation? She never received one of those before. She flinched as her head spun and ached. Callista took it and the nanny wheeled her to her room. Callista dismissed her and opened the letter. The print was in shiny, golden letters.


“Dear Ms. Callista Madelyn Robinson. I am pleased to tell you that you are invited to the meeting of MARK and Visca. Please attend this conference- I am really looking forward to meeting you. I have a son you may like- he is handsome and I hope he may fit your standards. We will talk more on the day we come together. Thank you.”


She held the paper close to her chest and carefully laid down on the bed. 


A letter.


Just for her.


Calista sat up when she heard a knock on her door.


"Cal?"


"Come in, Theo." Her brother carefully came in with a worried expression.


"How are you doing, Cal?"


"Good." He placed his hand on her shoulder and sat next to her.


"What did Father call you for?" That made her brighten.


"I got a letter. I was invited to a meeting between Visca and Father's company."


"What? You were?" He looked concerned, but he didn't say anything because he was pleased with her smile.


"Yes."


"Okay. Just be careful. And also, Cal, you have another doctor's appointment today. We're going to get your head checked. How is it?" She touched it. A headache pounded. Theo caught her as she wobbled.


"Callie!"


"I'm okay, Theo." She whispered. Callista brushed her fingers on his cheek. The held-back tears dripped down his face.


"Do you want me to move the appointment to tomorrow?"


"No, let's go." She carefully sat up with his help. Her right arm was numb because of her injury. Callista sat in her wheelchair and was rolled out.


The car crash a month prior had damaged the right part of her brain and left her legs paralyzed. Her arm was unable to move due to her brain injury. From a miraculous operation, she was able to survive. Still had to relieve treatment and often got terrible headaches. Theo was the only one who was willing to stay with her. It was a painful process, but she was getting there.


They arrived at the hospital and met their doctor, Dr. Henson, an old, but kind person that played a crucial factor in saving her life. Callista couldn't even move her head anymore. It would cause the wave of pain to return. Although she didn't move, she intently listened to the conversation.


"Ms. Robinson needs surgery to replace the right side of her brain."


"What?! Are you trying to kill my sister?!"


"No! Please, listen to the rest of it. We recently discovered new technology that can replace a part of the head and perfectly replicate the right brain. If she keeps going like this, she will eventually die. But if we replace it, she will be able to live- at least a little longer. And I," He turned to her. "Truly wish for you to live a long, healthy life, young lady."


Theo grimaced and fell into thought. Callista gently moved her hand onto his. He glanced at her.


"Cal."


"Theo." Tears rolled down her cheeks. Her head drummed like crazy. The ceiling warped into the walls. "It hurts so much."


"Cal! Callista!" He held her hands with his.


"When… will it be?"


"Tomorrow should suffice, Mr. Robinson. But there are some conditions she will have to follow." He handed him a slip of paper and began going over each bullet point. Theo nodded as he listened, wiping his sister's tears and calming her.


After the appointment, they returned home.


"Theo, it's going to be fine, right?"


"Yes, it'll be fine…" He always slept next to her after their mother died. He was afraid that she'd disappear too. He touched her hair and twirled with his finger.


"You look so much like Mother."


"Is that good?"


"Of course." She smiled. She didn't have enough strength to laugh anymore. Callista closed her eyes and fell asleep.



* * *



Theo jumped up as Dr. Henson came out of the operation room.


"Dr. Henson, how's Callie?"


"It was a success."


Theo dropped down into his chair, sobbing in relief.


"You're acting like I'm dead, brother." She was rolled out in a bed with fresh hospital clothes. Callista smiled and winked. He rushed over to embrace her in his arms. She was perfectly fine.


"Thank goodness…"


"They can't heal my legs, but I can move my arm again." She squeezed his hand tightly.


"Sister… sister…”


"Alright, stop the waterworks. Your image is going to be ruined." This time, it was her turn to wipe his tears.


"Um, I'm sorry for spoiling the mood, but let’s get to a room so that we can do some explaining." Theodore apologized and walked with her to an empty room.


"Alright, let me explain now what happened. Ms. Robinson, we are going to hook you up to the system, is that okay?"


"Yes."


Dr. Henson waved people away from the room and locked the door. He closed all of the blinds and carefully connected her to the system. Callista stiffened as she loaded.


"Alright, if you can hear me, wake up Ms. Robinson."


Theo watched the video as the camera turned on and looked around.


"Dr. Henson?"


"That's right. I've implemented the camera successfully. Can you blink?"


After a pause, she nodded.


"Good. Now wink. No, not with that eye. The eye that feels weird."


Click!


"You've just taken a picture. Because we can't actually keep memories in real time with the system, you'll have to directly order the system to take a picture by winking. Or now, let's try stopping the video recording you have one right now."


"I am?"


"Mhm. Try it. Say, End Recording."


Then, the video ended.


"Ms. Robinson, can you talk?"


Callista opened and closed her mouth, but no sound came out.


"I guess not. Let me disconnect you." He typed in some codes and stopped the system. Callista woke up and blinked.


"Did I do it?"


"Yup. It worked. Check it out, you took a picture perfectly too. Look." He showed them a picture of himself in the same position as he was in the video. Then, he shut down his computer and destroyed the chip inside.


"But, you must keep this technology a secret. Many may use this for evil, but I sincerely think you are a good person, Ms. Robinson."


"Of course," Theodore answered adamantly.


"Then I will see you again- but hopefully not. If you don't have any problems, then you shouldn't need me anymore. Please contact me if there are any issues." They thanked them and left the hospital.


"I can't believe it.


"So you can believe that I'm dead?"


"Callie!"


"Just kidding." Theo smiled with misty eyes.


"Thank you for getting better, Cal."



* * *



"You look amazing, sister."


"Really? I thought I looked like I'm in a plastic bag."


"Shut up, who told you that?"


"Sephora and Andrew…"


"Ignore them. Tell them I bought it for you."


"But this is too much."


"Not too much for you, dear sister. Now take a look and wink." Callista turned around and looked at herself. She had to admit it. The dress really was beautiful. She winked and kept the memory.


"Let's go. We can't be late." He escorted her to his car.


They drove together (to avoid riding with the other siblings) and arrived at the meeting. It was fancy and expensive, as expected of two big companies. Father was there, looking rich and old as always. Callista winked when she saw the other CEO. He was George Hatterson, the CEO of Visca. His son stood next to him, and he was handsome as he said in the letter. Theo put an arm around her and frowned at the son. When Mr. Hatterson saw her, he came forward with his son.


"Hello, Ms. Callista Robinson. I am George Hatterson. This is my son, James Hatterson.” He had a cold yet dreamy stature. She smiled, winking. He looked surprised, then nodded back, his beautiful blue eyes watching her. They were much more beautiful than the dull eyes she had.


"Hello, Mr. Hatterson."


"Ah yes, Mr. Theodore Robinson. Pleasure to meet you." Theo roughly pulled me close.


"Don't approach my sister with such intentions, Hatters. She's not the age to marry yet."


"Marriage?" Callista raised her eyebrows in surprise.


"Come on, Cal." He rolled her away with a grim face.


Click.


"What was that for?" He asked.


"Your face was funny."


"Delete it."


“I can’t.”


“Why?”


"Theo. Can you forget something even if you want to?"


"...no?"


"Exactly. So the longer you mention it, I'm going to remember it."


"Ha… I can't win against you."


"You should be glad." She giggled. Theo just sighed and shook his head.


“I have to go somewhere- stay in this corner. If someone approaches you, I give you the right to slap them, especially if they are men.”


“Are you an exception?”


“If I say something dumb, you are welcome to.”


Callista laughed and her brother left with a warm smile to greet other members of Visca. Soon after, James Hatterson, the son, brought over a glass of something nice.


“Pleasure to meet you, Mr. Hatterson.”


“James would suffice.” Callista chuckled.


“Then please feel free to call me Callista as well.”


“You have a beautiful name.” She smiled sadly.


“My mother came up with it. She is no longer here.” He remained silent. For the rest of the time, we watched the meeting unfold, successfully fading into the background.


“Excuse me, I must go to the bathroom.”


“Do you need assistance?”


“Haha, my arms are still strong, James.” He seemed to breathe in every time she said his name, it was almost amusing. Callista came back and returned to her spot next to him.


Then, it happened.


The ground shook and trembled. Loud noises were coming from the floors below them. Before anyone could escape, the concrete blasted into the air. The sky was clouded with dust and everyone’s sight was blurred with tears, but everybody knew that the building was collapsing. James grabbed Callista and covered her as they tumbled. She held onto him for dear life. She saw Sephora and her siblings falling limply with their eyes frozen into space. Callista quickly dug her face in his shoulder. It was a horrible sight.


They landed with a big thump, lighter than they expected thankfully. Callista opened her eyes to see James with a bleeding arm.


“James, are you alright?!” When he opened his, he instinctively grabbed her face.


“Callista!” Blood trickled down her forehead. Headaches knocked around her brain. But thankfully, this was nothing compared to the headaches she got from the car crash.


The next scenes, she didn’t remember well, but her senses regained when a familiar feeling of fear flashed through her mind.


“All people died in this attack except for a few- three children of the Robinsons, two of the Hattersons, and a handful of workers. This mysterious bombing gives us no choice but to consider all of you as suspects.” A protest arose from the survivors.


“Why must we be suspected? We’re victims!”


“But no other person could have entered the building during that time. The bombs were located on each floor up to the one that was used for the meeting, showing that it was deliberately made to attack this conference. But there is one person who can be eliminated from the suspects list.” The officer gestured towards her.


“Callista Madelyn Robinson. She cannot walk down to the lowest floor which only has stairs and did not have the time to commit the crime either. Also, there has been an interesting report.” Callista looked up and gazed at the officer pleadingly.


Please, don’t say it!


“Ms. Callista has a robotic memory system implemented in her because of the accident a month prior. She is the only one to have witnessed the crime, so we are seeking her help.”


She backed away. Theo held onto her protectively. Yes, she saw the criminal. She saw it so clearly she thought she was hallucinating. But she wasn’t. It was the truth. While she was in the bathroom, she had seen it crystal clear.


“The reward for catching the criminal is $2 Billion. It is a serious crime and we are prepared to reward anyone who helps us.”


All eyes turned towards her. She could practically hear what they were all thinking:


If I can get my hands on her memories-!



* * *



The next few months became a nightmare. After refusing to help the police, she was continuously attacked from all sides, aiming for her memories. Callista didn’t say no because she wanted to. She remembered what Dr. Henson said. Once the technology was revealed, there was no going back.


All the suspects were quarantined in the same place for an extended amount of time. The officers finally gave up and left.


But the suspects didn’t.


One night, while Callista was going to bed, she was hit in the head and transferred to a desolate place she didn’t know of. When she woke up, familiar people, suspects, were holding her captive.


“Are you sure this is going to work?”


“Of course. I’m an expert on these things.” The worker from Hatterson’s company opened his tool box. She shivered as he carefully picked his tool to pry her head open.


It was agonizing. She thought was being dipped in molten lava. Her days repeated again and again with the same, harsh pain. The Hatterson worker, Bailey he was called, always attempted to rip her apart and failed each time. Callista’s nanny looked from afar, anticipating him to succeed. Whenever Callista tried to escape, she faced the bodyguard’s beatings. The workers tied her down and tormented her however they wanted.


Callista looked up one day to be frozen with shock. She saw her brother, Theo. He wasn’t there to rescue her. He fell down onto his knees and begged for forgiveness.


“Please… I need to restore my image… I’ve got to become the heir of the company or else Andrew’s in charge… I’m so sorry Cal…”


She slapped him.


“I’m sorry… I’m sorry…”


Day by day, it was filled with torment.


Instead, she focused on learning what Bailey was performing. Quietly and secretly, she learned how to put together parts and make them work. In the storage where she lived, she put together old parts and created what she needed the most.


Suddenly, one night, the door opened and Theo came in. She turned away, but he pulled her out. Handing her a backpack, he told her:


“Go, run away. Don’t look back.” Stunned, she quickly packed her stuff in a daze and walked outside. She turned around to say goodbye when Theo shook his head.


“It was James’ idea. He was locked up too. Go, Cal. I love you.”


But she was already running away.


For days, she didn’t sleep. Days of torment weighed on her body- she knew she was going to die soon. Callista finished her best project: a copy of herself. A robot. It was soon finished.


“Code entering: Whatever you do, follow these orders: release James and eliminate the tormentors. Deliver the message to James. Then, destroy the memory chip.


“Begin Recording: James. I will die soon. Please, I have to get this over with.


The truth is, I am the culprit of the bombing. End Recording.”


Then, Callista carefully extracted her memory chip and placed it in the robot.


June 13, 2022 03:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.