3 comments

American Fiction Adventure

Death in a Thunderclap

Upon encountering death at my doorstep, I was unaware of the profound impact it would have on me. The tormented mind of a loved one sought solace in death's embrace, an option he deemed best. Death shared with me its unique perspective, explaining the transient nature of human life and the weight of witnessing souls extinguish. However, as Death ominously hinted at unfinished business with my family, an unexpected turn of events revealed that Death was not who I had perceived.

The talk of a place I didn't know and couldn't recognize mesmerized me before I could resist or argue against Death's appeal, but I faced something more formidable than Kilimanjaro.

"It's not easy," Death began. "To wander the globe second to second and to be as close to a human soul as I can get without touching it. Only to watch their fire burn out, akin to the firefly who gives their last light to carry on their legacy."

"How did you become Death? If that's how you feel, you've watched so many souls' lights burn out,” I asked, my curiosity piqued. I was eager to understand more about death's motivations. 

"There's no way to explain what drives me. Except to say my strength drives me onward, which is a glorious reward and yet a curse. There aren't too many things one understands about death easily once death meets them face-to-face." 

"I can only imagine it's more than anything any of us could ever dream death to be. Certainly, others thought they wanted death, but there were only so many who wanted and met death under such duress."

"Yeah, so. That may or may not be something I've thought about before. What's your business here, anyway? She's no longer here. Surely you're aware of that?" 

"My business isn't quite finished with your family. You know death comes in threes. It's the number of the trinity. It means all the members you know who pass are somehow connected and enter their final destination together." 

"What's this? A goddamn job description? Did you come to take me? Or did you come 'to school' me on your death-snatching process?" I said, my voice laced with defiance. "Because if it's the former, get on with it; if it's the latter, buzz off; I don't want to hear it. You are a persona non-grata here. And I surely don't want to learn how to be Death." 

"Easy now. You know more about death than you think. Either way, you don't want to upset Death." 

"It would be nice if the shoe were on the other foot, come to think of it. Incidentally, when have you ever been upset? You have told me no emotion is attached to your transport of souls, so why bring it up?"

"Let's talk semantics for a moment, shall we?" 

"Okay, sure. If you insist." I begrudgingly said since I was irritated with Death now.

"I said, 'I don't have any emotional connection, and I feel nothing, but I didn't say, I don't feel emotion for those affected and left behind."

"What do you mean? Do you feel something for people like me? Why? It doesn't make sense. You cause emotion in people like me!"

We sat together on a park bench at either end as the sun shone. A dark cloud front drew closer, and Death kept its eye on it like an athlete watches the scoreboard. I noticed Death becoming increasingly uncomfortable but remained indifferent to the clouds despite him. I put my arm across the back of the bench and crossed my legs. Death fidgeted like a Mexican jumping bean on a hot plate.

"Do you find the wind has changed direction?" Death said, biting its fingernails and tapping its foot.

"What if it has? Does that upset you? Because I'm fine. I'm loving it." I said that as I watched Death out of the corner of my eye. It looked like death was much smaller to me. The fidgeting had evolved into incessant leg crossing and uncrossing, and I swear I saw Death's features change. 

"What's the matter, Death? Would you like some of my water? Or can I help you in some other way?" 

"No, I'm fine." Death insisted. But I could tell that Death looked like Death right before my eyes. 

Now fascinated, I turned my body to face death. I sat with my arms open and my legs flat on the ground as I sat sideways. I felt the wind against my face and heard it rustle the leaves high up in the trees. The sky grew darker than the ace of spades, leaving only blackbirds to fly around. The birds seemed overly calm and aloof to the high winds. Death had my shoulders in its grip, and as she let out her angst, there was an electric boom of thunder and a sizzle of lightning that lit up the entire area around our park bench.

The bench began to swirl as we were pulled into the thunderclap. All the while, I remained calm with my eyes trained on death. I had never been inside a thunderclap before. I wondered if Death lived here since it followed my every move while its hands remained glued to my shoulders. 

There was another electric thunderclap, and the wind stopped. The bench bounced against numerous benches until it finally skidded to a stop in its place. (The only empty one available.).

"Well, that was some ride. Eh, Death?" I said, hoping to get Death to converse again. But I saw that it was useless.

Death's mouth moved like it was speaking, but I could no longer hear it. I looked around real quick. I noticed other benches, but they were all empty except for one. An urge so strong inside drew me to move toward the other bench. I knew it was a bad idea. I fought it for the longest time. 

A white light blotted everything else, and I could no longer see anything. Instead of fear, I relaxed, knowing this incredible place was where I belonged. 

"You are here because death chose you."

"Me? I don't want to be dead, and I don't want to be Death, either. I didn't ask for this. How can I go back?" 

"Something about Death knew you intimately, so you were chosen as Death's replacement. Now you shall see who Death truly is." 

The immense light was gone as quickly as it arrived, and I was back in the park, sitting on the bench. When I turned to look toward the other end of the bench, it was my uncle Dode. 

"Uncle Dode, what are you doing here? I love you, and I miss you," I said. 

"I love you too, Josie." He shed a tear, and it hit me. 

"Were you looking for me in this park on this bench today?"

"Yes, honey. I'd never trust anybody else to take me home to meet my parents, who are waiting for me at the gate. We'd better get going. It's almost milking time. Ma doesn't like it when she puts the meal on the table and we're late to eat it. She says it's spoiled 'cause then it's not hot. And all her hard work was for nothing." 

"Are you sure you want to go now? You don't have anything wrong with you, physically or mentally. You're a healthy 91-year-old. You know." 

"Yes, I know. But I miss my parents so badly. And then there're my dear siblings. I just want to be home with all of them. Please, Josie. Let's go." 

Who knew my love for him just seconds before he pulled the trigger would give him solace? Not me. And who knew I'd retrieve the love I desperately needed to know still existed between us? Not me. 

I stood, as did he. I reached out my hand, but he stepped forward to hug me. As I hugged him back, I heard the shot. 

"Don't look!" he said. 

"That's not how it works. I have to look." I looked down, and I saw the most horrific sight. 

In the yard of my grandparents's family home, where my uncle still lived, he lay in his brain matter and blood, a gun at his side. But as Death, I squeezed him tighter and watched his soul's light go out. 

Now I knew what Death meant when it said, 'I said, 'I don't have any emotional connection, and I feel nothing, but I didn't say, I don't feel emotion for those left behind.' I felt their pain in an instant as, one by one, they learned the news of Dode's death. 

Who knew I would become Death in a thunderclap with my first assignment to retrieve Dode's soul's light? Not me.  

Before I could feel it for too long, I watched the light go out for another soul, and my job kept me busy enough that there was no time to dwell.  

August 25, 2024 07:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Martin Ross
15:42 Sep 03, 2024

Vivid fantasy, and an incisive look at mortality. Well done!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mary Bendickson
20:27 Aug 26, 2024

Look at death from both sides.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Alexis Araneta
15:29 Aug 25, 2024

Lily ! A very unique take. At least, her uncle has someone to help him transition into the next life. Great stuff.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.