2 comments

Creative Nonfiction Drama

Life’s a roller coaster                                                            

Why does it have to become a roller coaster? With all the ups and downs, I am starting to get sick so like many other I will have to stop the ride to get off soon. To leave and leave everything on that ride behind all the members, memories, and moments. It is a long way down to the gates I don’t know if I can make it with all the venders try to sell me things that aren’t worth my time, but what is my time even worth anymore. Why not let them take me down a wrong path? For what it’s worth. It’s worth nothing. But I couldn’t even finish the roller coaster ride. I can’t even finish strong, so I fall down the path, the wrong path. As I watch the people who finished the ride stroll through the park. They make me gag with jealousy. How dare they make a mockery out of me. How dare they make their conversation topic. How dare them and their perfect lives. Before I can even act the men in navy blue pull me from the bench that has become my home. The only place that I felt safe. The only place I felt excepted. I was equal with the bench. Because I will never be equal with society. Not anymore, not now. Now that they have stripped me of my dignity and my right as a person. All because I never finished the ride. I couldn’t finish the ride not then, not now. The gates are still so far. Far out of view, also out of reach. The men in navy blue take me to a shack glorified to be something special, but I see through it, and all the signs I can tell these people don’t care about me. I am just another scum bag that needs to taken care of. another nobody. A nothing. A skeptical to shelter their kids from the sad but all to true reality we call life. Another Menace to society. Another living breathing thing that needs to eat. Another heartbeat that need to water. The men in navy blue call its justice, but for what? all I ever did was sit on my bench. All I ever did was keep the hate inside of me, but for what? Why did I try to keep my dignity? When in the long run it was never mine to keep. Why? The men in navy blue have no proof, does no one else see this. All because I didn’t finish the roller coaster ride. Why couldn’t I have just stayed on, like everyone else. I maybe could have had an actual life I maybe might have actual made it to the gates. One does see the simplicity of this injustice be shoved at his face. While the men in navy blue seem to care less about letting another nobody like back into the world. They probably think they will see me again. The man with clean eyes who see beyond the dirt on my face and the injustice of the men in navy. Asks me where I would like to go. This is my one and probably only chance. To the gate is my reply. It is probably the only place I will ever want to go. The place my feet will walk me. The place where my breath will push me. The place my heart will pump to get me there. The place my mind will move my limbs to. the gates are starting to come into view. They are the most important thing in my sorry excuse for a life. To anyone else the look like dingy gross over rusted steel poor welded together. But they represent my freedom. A start to a new life. A future of possibility. A life I have longed for ever since the ride. Maybe the only thing people will notice that I have just like them. Maybe I might become an equal.my knees buck at the how tall the gate is. My heart quickens at the opening of the gates, a little too quick, too quick in hurts, the pain gets worst as the gates open fully. I can’t stand anymore. I fall over with my hand over my heart. The man with clean eyes is yelling and screaming to everyone in hearing range about something. I can’t even put together what he is saying the pain is too much to handle of not making it the. The gates are only one step away. One step. To a new life. A step. To a possibility of a future. One more push of my foot. To the thing I wanted the most I life. Maybe someone on the other side of the gate could love all my flaws and all the dents in my personality. As people drag me further back into park. I can’t do it anymore. I break all my rules and start sobbing. I can fell the tremor all through my body. Just like the sobs that rack through my body. People are shouting. I can hear the beeps of several m. The man with clear eyes is the last person. I will see. I am trying to keep my eyes open. The last noise I hear is the sobbing of all the people crowding around me and my dying body. How dare they cry at me for dying. When the never offer anything but their smirks and hateful glances. To someone who didn’t have what they had. All that time I spent on the bench I had nothing. Nothing. No one offered anything. So no, absolutely not. You have no right. You only moron people you love, and you did not love me. No, you despised me. Why me? I didn’t choose to live on that bench. I made one choice that ruined everything. Everything that I had and could have had. I would swat them away, but I have no more strength. They have taken that from me to. And they have the audacity to cry for me to come back this awful world, awful society, and their awful glares. No. Absolutely not. I just wish I could have made it to the gates. This will be my last thought, and it will be about the only thing I had was the hope that thrived in inside of me the hope to go through the gates. Because that was all I have was the hope to get to the gates.it was my life’s purpose. Because sometimes we aren’t given choices. I was never given a choice, because no one would, and will never listen to my voice. This is how I was remembered I was the man who died on the sidewalk. No legacy except the circles of gossip, because no know who I am.

August 28, 2020 16:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Meggy House
12:17 Sep 05, 2020

Wow! This is intense! The fact that it's all one paragraph is tactical; it makes me feel like I'm experiencing the death of the narrator with them. If you wouldn't mind, could you read one of my stories? This is my first time in a competition and I would love feedback! :)

Reply

Amber Hartung
16:26 Sep 08, 2020

sorry it took me so long to respond, but i would love to read your story. and that this is one of my favorite written pieces

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.