the leather bound maniscript to end all wars

Submitted into Contest #50 in response to: Write a story told entirely through one chase scene.... view prompt

2 comments

General

The wings flapped, as he rowed with his streamlined muscles. Identical in efficiency to his light weight personal wings structure he was wearing. There were only three left in pursuit. The status of the fourth pursuer was of no consequence. He was not even a slight bit concerned. If they had wanted him dead. This whole thing would already be over, and he would be having tea with the gods.

They were now in between a, buoyant, kinetic carrier, and a steam juggernaut. The kinetic ship had fired off all its ornithopters, and was now positioning its dual functioning kinetic artillery. As well as firing the ones that already had a payload ready to go. This would not be long enough for the reminder of the artillery to be loaded. Nor the readied artillery to be fired off. Before the juggernaut fired on it. His best bet was to fly through the first barrage of the juggernaut.

He flew right through the barrage with, what could only be coined as divine interference, the two more reckless of the trio followed him right on through. The battery of shrapnel clipped one of the wings, sending him into a spiral. The unscathed became more interested in the status of his friend. The remainder of the pursuers went around and had gained some ground avoiding all the acrobatics needed to navigate a barrage.

He was running out of strength and so must be the last of the blood hounds lapping up his scent with his nostrils. He looked back almost losing his aerial equilibrium; yes, he was wearing a scarf. But would he use it or not. It was not really a scarf it just looks like one it is actually a kind of netting.

He was hoping to get his para-shoot all tangled up in

the remaining pursuer all caught up in the mangled shoot and the threading of the scarf. This was likely to work, in some retrospect, due to the element of surprise. His personal wings were one of a kind possessing a Para-shoot that no other model did.

It worked as good as it could work. And he was back on the run with a sizeable gain in distance. While his pursuer quickly frees himself and instead of leaving the scarf there and calling it a day, he tries to struggle the netting of the scarf out of the para shoot; priorities.

He starts heading to the kinetic launchers. There was on left as loaded with a kinetic aerial craft, as promised. The launching and landing areas are over seen by gremlins because they take up less space and are better coordinated. That and if they're feeling extra gracious they use their magic to make the daily grind faster and more fun; for them. We dare not talk about those “off” days. Which are contrivances according to them.

He jumps into the craft in the launcher and the gremlins aim it towards where he wants to go. As some of them figure out the trajectory of the launch. The others flee for reasons not yet understood. Once the launchers is ready. He wastes no time. The juggernaut begins to fire of a barrage that would remove the launching platform from the face of the battlefield. Only to have ¾ of them explode as if they were blocked.

Looking back he can see the treachery of the gremlins first hand as they ready the remaining kinetic launchers for his pursuer . They had loaded two kinetic launchers with circular objects and the remaining one was a kinetic flier. He was getting sick of this. He turned around towards the back shielding him from attacks from the back and there are mirrors to either side of the shield so he can see what is in front of him.

They were trying to corralling him right into the trajectory of the apposing kinetic flyer. They obviously knew he was going to be facing behind ready to engage and were counting on it. It would be idiocy to face off with the circular objects, of unknown material make up. He wondered if they knew he was a terrible shot.

His best bet was to avoid this entire situation; he stopped using the kinetic power and just dropped at ridiculous speed. Looking up; he realizes that his opponent is just as crazy as he is . Dropped down nose first. He had to have something up his sleeve, more then hitting the ground like a meteor. Curious to see if he can recover control of his aircraft and pull the ships nose up; starting to fly again.

So he just reengaged getting back to business in an unrealistic amount of time he was flying again he circled and circled the plummeting aircraft. All the time checking to see how much kinetic energy he still had. Displayed in the dirty mirror there was an approaching object coming from the back at a manageable speed allowing him to dodge around it and get a good shot off. But he was counting his eggs before they hatched as a scarf turned into netting gets tangled into the rotter blades above him and the bottom ones flip to the top and there he goes plummeting to the earth again.

He was skilled enough to control his free fall and he splashed down in a lake shore area lined with vegetation and possibly wildlife within it. That should make it more difficult for them to track him. He left the downed ship, but keeping in tradition he took the scarf with him. It made no sense to me but it must have some value he can not see.

He waded into the bank of the river lined by a forest and slowly becomes but a memory. He can hear them hit the water like the first rain drops of an oncoming storm. He felt quite triumphant, yet also a little sad. It will never say it in the history books, but he, himself just changed the tide of war. Who knew a leather bound, illegible, book could be so important.

July 16, 2020 18:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Kevin Leonard
22:37 Jul 22, 2020

Hi Derek, I liked how fast-paced and combative your story was. The design of the machine that the protagonist was flying seemed interesting, although I think I needed a bit more description of what it was, and how it worked, to better appreciate how he was able to pilot it so well. It has a very steampunk-y feel, but I still think that you need more description so that the reader can properly imagine these scenes in their mind. This includes a greater description of the enemies and the weapons they are firing (and the consequences of if h...

Reply

Derek Brown
06:36 Jul 23, 2020

it actually was in a steampunk universe. i knew what i wanted the machines to do but was not sure how it would work, if it would work. the first flying device was a muscle powered glider of sorts. if trained it can stay in the air as long as you have the strength to keep it in the air. the second one was like a clockwork aircraft you loaded into a massive ballista which winds the aircraft and fires it off to get its momentum going. he was supposed to be captured alive so the weapons they were to be none lethal except. for the artiller...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.