0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Mystery

There was one a window in a house. But before I continue you must know 3 things.

1.    The house was no ordinary house

2.    The window was no ordinary window

3.    Everybody saw different thing through this window.

Now that you know these 3 very important facts I may continue.

This house that I speak of was no ordinary house. The thing was that it had no one living in it. People would just come and as they please, as this was an open house. To show how the owners lived in it, pre-2000’s. it was a beautiful house, Built in 1800’s. It had ornate decoration running up each door frame like wildfire and staircases that spiralled into the attic like the ones in light houses. When you walked in the front door you were greeted by a large living room fitted with violet chairs and oak wood flooring. On the left side of the house was a big two-person staircase that was 2 flights high leading up into the second floor. On the second floor there is a communal walk way area shared between 3 doors. The first on the left side of the was the master bedroom, the second was a beautiful study. It had leather chairs and a desk that Is over 100 years old, And Bookshelves line that walls filled to the brim with old hardcover books with titles so fainted that you could barely read them. And the third door was what used to be the children’s room but when the owner died, he donated it to the museum but the funny thing was the no one had ever seen the kids. They had been enrolled in the school but only until 3rd grade. And then they just stopped coming, stopped going to the shops or even their own backyard, stopped crying and screaming in the middle of the night. Everything to do with the twins had just stopped. Even the grocery shop worker noticed that the parents had stopped buying as much food as normal. Like only enough for them. That’s when things really stared to get strange. But enough of that. What I’m really here to tell you about is the window at the top of the stairs. Just before the 3 doors. You see, everybody sees everything differently. For example, people with more wealth would just see a bin as a bin, where they dispose of their rubbish and old things that they have either replaced or just don’t want anymore. But for the people with less wealth their bin would be filled with all kinds of useful things such as furniture, clothes and utensils. Same thing goes for this window, this big beautiful and very strange window. It is at the top of the stairs and is about the width of two arms. It is lined with gold and brass and is stained glass. But the thing is the stained-glass changes for whoever looks at it. Some people say they say rainbows and sunny days on meadows. Others saw darkness like murder and the dark thoughts they think about what their alone. People say that what you see is your fate and of course there’s the ones that just say that all the people that have claimed to see different things in the window are delusional and needs professional help. Another one the of theories is that the supposedly dead children are trying to tell you something. Over the year’s rumours have spread across that town suggesting that they are buried in the wall’s dead of course but still trying to communicate with the people in their house. Maybe it’s a warning or a plea for help.

The day the children went missing:

One warm spring day bonnie and Bethany went missing. Of course, none of the parents or other extended family owned up to it but everyone knows that they did. Some people think that the parents bribed the police with money not to launch an investigation into their disappearances.

                                                                 --30 years later—

30 yearly later a woman in the same town was reported missing. One day earlier she was seen in the same house as bonnie and Bethany lived in., she had bought a $2 admission ticket at 12pm and the worker there said they had never seen her leave when he was questioned. Ironically it was the same day (or close to) the day that people noticed that the children of the house had gone missing. For the next three weeks the house was locked down and kept under secure police watch. It was now an official crime scene. Every day that week they run radiation tests, swept the floor for unusual finger prints, pulled up floor boards, questioned neighbouring houses and even searching some of them. By the end of the third week the search warrant had ended they had pretty much looked over the whole house, every nook and cranny. All except for that one window. The one at the top of the stairs that supposedly everyone sees different things out of. Every day of the three weeks that the police were searching the house they passed up and down the stairs multiple times which also means that they would have seen the window multiple times too. But no one had noticed that the window had kept on changing every time. And the fact that there were usually two girls in and around their fifty’s but now there’s three. And the third one looks a lot like the description of the girl that had gone missing in the house. Only one officer had noticed the small detail and that’s when they finally cracked the code. The woman of the anniversary of the kids going missing must of touched the window and it would have taken her inside, hostage like the kids. But the window doesn’t stop the people from aging. That’s why the girls that are in there didn’t looked like they were eight at the time of their disappearances they were 50! But the only problem was how do they get out?

June 11, 2021 23:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.