0 comments

Fantasy

The mysterious dark figure who always gave life to new creations stood in front of their desk ready to create once again.

They prepared for another night of work, to create the fantasy world so many people loved to watch.

With every stroke of their pen they brought life to yet another world, they had know idea what would come out of their attempt.

Every time they began they let the world guide them, telling them what to create, what to draw.

They set their pen down for the night, closing the door for the night.


A purple haired girl stood, waiting for the dark figure to leave. She looked towards a boy, he had dark brown hair and green eyes that shone like the sun.

The girl smiled, “their finally gone,” she squealed the excitement too much for her to conceal.

She always got overly excited when they could actually be themselves, always telling him to laugh with her and be happy.

He laughed, “you seem more happy than usual.”

She giggled, “how could I not be, I finally get to talk to you.” Even though she always said things like that he could tell something was off about her.

He wanted her to be alright, but he knew her better that to think nothing was wrong.

He was ready to face the worst, “hey. You don’t seem all yourself today,” the second those words left his mouth he wished they hadn’t.

She sat down her golden eyes turning from elated to serious, “I know we should be grateful to the creator, but I want a chance at my own life,” she paused looking at him determinedly, “where we aren’t fictional characters, for other beings to watch.”

He sighed, running a hand through his hair, “Celaena, we’ve talked about this before, we do what the creator wants. We don’t have the liberty of wanting more.”

The girl named Celaena made a pouty face, “and why not, huh, can we not be more than a part of someone else’s imagination.”

“What if, what if I want to be free, I just want to be my own person, don’t you want that to. Jay,” the boy named Jay started to get angry with Celaena, “why can’t you ever be happy with what we have, so what we are fake, we don’t exist, and I’m perfectly fine this way,” he yelled.

She was now equally as angry, “and what, you expect me to just sit here until the creator stops using us, because by then it’ll be to late to leave.” He only scoffed and stomped off.

Celaena was left by herself, her thoughts racing, how could he say that, how could he be fine with only being fictional characters.

She didn't ever stop to think if she was forcing him to do something he was uncomfortable with.

She knew she was wrong in trying to force him but she was going to make it clear to him that she was serious and wasn’t going to let him talk her out of it.

She searched everywhere for Jay, every panel of their world.

She even went as far as to search the background scenes, he wasn't anywhere, she knew she might have gone a little to far but she still needed to find him in order to apologize.

She eventually found him, he went outside of the lines, someplace she and Jay would often go to recollect themselves.

She sat next to him, not saying a word as she did so. Jay looked over to her his expression a mix of many emotions.

He still didn’t know how to react to what Celaena had said earlier, a little part of him wanted to explore the outside world but he was afraid of he might find waiting there.

He opened his mouth to speak but she did so before he could, “look, I know you like it here. But I want to leave, and I’m prepared to do that with or without you.”

He thought long and hard over what she had just said, he knew she would leave him. No matter how much he wanted to believe she wouldn’t go he knew she would.

And, the creator would just write in another Celaena, it wouldn’t be the same.

He came to a conclusion. He stood up and offered his hand to Celaena, “lets go,“ he said with a small smile on his lips.

He would leave that world, the creator would create new characters, who will hopefully have the will to leave as they were going to.

He only hoped the creator would be able to forgive them, and that this doesn’t ruin their will to create.

Hand in hand they ripper the paper world they lived in and exited to the outside one.

Jay grabbed a nearby pen and wrote on the pad, sorry for doing this to you but, we need to live our own lives.

-Celaena/Jay

They ran out of the house, so they didn’t wake the creator.

The world was vast, and everything was so different then what they were used to, Celaena laughed joyfully as they ran down the silent streets.

Jay looked at Celaena’s happy face, he knew this is what she always wanted, he just hope their creator didn’t make the same mistakes again.

She had finally gotten the free life she wished for.


The dark figure went to their desk ready to create once more.

They looked through the work they had done yesterday, they worriedly looked through all the panels, “where could they have gone.”

They noticed the tearing in the middle of the last page, they looked for their pen.

When they found it the note was in their line of sight, and what was written on the note almost caused them to pass out.

The creator eventually drew other characters, this time noticing and acknowledging what the characters had in mind for themselves, they would never again take his gift for granted.

March 09, 2020 05:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.