8 comments

Fantasy Mystery Suspense

The forest brimmed with shadows, every branch and vine curling as if they were skeletal fingers. The heavy and damp air clung to my skin, coating me like an unwanted second layer. In the distance, a crow cawed—a sharp, jarring cry that pierced through the trees, carried by the wind as a clear warning. The sound lingered, echoing too long in the stillness.

I crouched low beneath the gnarled roots of an ancient oak, my body concealed in the thick underbrush. From my vantage point, I could see everything: the twisting path that snaked through the forest, the flicker of light struggling to break through the dense canopy above. The silence around me wasn't natural. It was tense, coiled, ready to strike as if the entire forest held its breath.

But this was my domain. I had hunted these woods for years, slipping between the shadows and toying with those foolish enough to enter. Hunger gnawed at me, deeper than instinct—a primal urge I had long since mastered. Still, I craved the thrill of the hunt, the rush of seeing terror in their eyes. They never escaped. Not from me.

Then, I heard it.

A soft crunch. A delicate footstep on dead leaves approaching. I held my breath, eyes narrowing as I watched the figure emerge from the misty distance. The figure moved slowly, with the steps too deliberate for someone so deep in the woods. Her striking crimson cloak burned bright against the murky browns and grays of the world around her, the color out of place, too bold, like a target painted on her back. But she didn't falter.

My muscles tightened, hunger stirring within me, though something in the air felt wrong. The scent wafting toward me was sweet but with a faintly metallic sharpness. I inhaled deeper, trying to place it. Blood? Death? That's when I noticed: no fear.

I had watched many travelers stumble through this forest—lost, trembling, hearts hammering beneath fragile ribs—but not her. Her steps were slow, purposeful, and too composed. She didn't flinch, didn't hesitate. Her eyes scanned the shadows like an old, familiar landscape—as if she belonged here.

I stepped forward, ensuring that my approach was deliberate. The figure's head lifted, her dark eyes locking onto mine instantly. There was no flicker of surprise, no gasp, just cold, calculating calm—too calm.

I smiled—a human expression I had perfected over the years, wearing the guise of men who wandered too far from home. She should have seen something reassuring in my face, something harmless. But she didn't flinch.

"A dangerous place for a stroll," I said, my voice low, carefully measured. "Especially for someone like you."

Her gaze never wavered, her expression serene. Her eyes drifted over me, slow and methodical, as if measuring my threat. "I'm not afraid of the woods," she replied, her voice smooth but edged with something colder, something that chilled the air around us. "Or of what's in them."

A lie. Or was it? Her pulse remained steady; her heartbeat had an unsettling rhythm—too controlled, too composed. A part of me, some primal instinct, whispered that something wasn't right, but I pushed it aside. I had hunted enough prey to know their fear. It was always there, under the surface, ready to burst. I just hadn't found hers yet.

I began to circle her slowly, my fingers twitching at my sides, the urge to shift gnawing at the edges of my restraint. My boots sank into the soft soil beneath me, leaving impressions, but I held back, keeping the mask of humanity intact. "Not afraid?" I echoed, my voice slipping into a growl. "Even though you walk so far from safety, alone?"

She turned to follow me, that small smile still on her lips. "I'm never alone," she said softly. Her words slid through the air like smoke, and an unease crept along my spine, unbidden and unwanted.

What did she mean?

I stepped closer, close enough to reach out and touch her if I wanted. Her crimson cloak shimmered in the dim light, the fabric swaying gently though there was no breeze. That scent again—sickly sweet, tinged with the unmistakable metallic tang of blood. But it wasn't just blood. It was something more, something darker. Familiar, yet foreign.

"What brings you here, girl?" I asked, narrowing my eyes. "Who are you visiting in these woods? No one in these parts is friendly."

Her smile widened, twisting her features into something almost predatory. "I'm visiting someone who's been expecting me," she said, her voice barely a whisper. "Someone who's been waiting a long time."

Her words coiled through my mind like a venomous snake, seeping doubt, curling around my instincts. I couldn't place it, but something about her felt wrong—dangerous even. And I wasn't used to feeling danger from anyone but myself.

"Expecting you?" I leaned in, close enough to catch the warmth of her breath. "Who could possibly be waiting for you?"

Her eyes gleamed in the fading light, and her smile vanished. She stepped forward suddenly, closing the distance between us, her face mere inches from mine. I could see my own reflection in her eyes—dark, wild, hungry—but there was something else there: knowledge, understanding, and power. My chest tightened, a knot forming beneath my ribs. I had never hesitated before, not like this.

"Who I'm visiting is of no concern to you, wolf," she whispered, her voice sharp and cold, sending a chill down my spine. "But perhaps you should ask yourself… who are you hunting?"

My breath caught, her words striking deeper than they should have. How did she know? My mind scrambled for answers, but her presence consumed me, pulling at the edges of my carefully constructed control. I had spent years perfecting the art of deception, wearing my human form as a disguise. But now, with her standing so close, I felt exposed. Vulnerable.

"What… are you?" I growled, taking a step back, confusion and something dangerously close to fear creeping in. I should have pounced by now. I should have torn through that thin veil of confidence to find the fear beneath. But I hadn't. And I was beginning to understand why.

She wasn't prey.

Her hands moved slowly as she drew back the hood of her cloak. Dark hair spilled over her shoulders, and her eyes gleamed ancient and cold in the dim light—far older than they should have been.

She leaned in, her breath warm against my ear, her voice a razor-sharp whisper. "You're not the only one who wears a disguise, wolf."

The blood drained from me. My limbs felt heavy, like stone, and I could only stand there, paralyzed by the weight of those words. I had always been the hunter, the predator. But now I saw the flicker of something beneath her skin, something I should have recognized.

A slow, creeping smile tugged at her lips as she stepped back. She vanished into the mist before I could react, leaving me with the crushing realization that I had misjudged her entirely.

I wasn't the only predator here.

The forest grew still again, but the air vibrated with danger. Her scent lingered, cloying and sharp, and with it came the undeniable truth: the game had shifted. I had believed myself the hunter, but I wasn't so sure now. The shadows seemed thicker now, watching. And somewhere in that darkness, I knew she was waiting.

September 06, 2024 19:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

8 comments

Emma Morgan
15:35 Sep 18, 2024

Very clever and well-crafted! You combined detail and pacing immaculately, making me feel like I could see the scene and feel each ounce of anticipation simultaneously.

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
15:58 Sep 18, 2024

I wanted to write it the way you watch the episode on TV. I'm glad to manage that. Thanks for comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
14:09 Sep 16, 2024

I like the way you twist this ancient tale and make it deceptively modern. Great scenes and descriptions. Rather like a dragon being kept in a cave by a sweet maid, one senses he needs her far more than she needs him. Excellent story writing.

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
14:35 Sep 16, 2024

Thank you. I push myself very much for this one. One of my favorite.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
E. B. Bullet
03:06 Sep 16, 2024

It's insane how Red Riding Hood is such an influential story that immediately upon absorbing the vibes of something wild, creeping through the woods--I immediately thought wolf, and when the crimson cloak made an entrance it was unmistakable. Little Red! I wonder if the more current generation still has a grasp for Little Red Riding hood. Is thar still passed down, do ya think? Anyway your construction of setting is incredible! You crafted together those misty woods so well; it felt cold, and damp, and eerie! I struggle with setting so muc...

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
03:21 Sep 16, 2024

My dothers knows about Little Red, but not really into it. You should check my other stories. There are enough horror genre to satisfy your taste. Thank you for reading 📚.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
22:35 Sep 07, 2024

Hey, there, Little Red RidingHood. You sure are looking good. You're everything a big bad wolf could want...

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
22:54 Sep 07, 2024

Hahaha. This was my first thought when I saw the prompt.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.