2 comments

Fiction Science Fiction Thriller

As humans, we are unaware of the dangers of the world or the possible impending doom that seems impossible to us due to our naivete. Only when it's atop our heads, casting a shadow on our existence do we truly grasp the morbidity of the situation. Here I venture to tell you about my brush with the realisation that I had been too blinded by the safety of the bubble that I lived in. I was then in my pre-teenage years, a mere juvenile mote living in this vast world of possibilities, living life without any fears, for I was, I must admit now, an ignorant person . I had a tunnel vision and consequently for the life of me, couldn't think about any extraordinary happenings such as the existence of aliens, for example, though my story has nothing to do with the likes of them. I merely was giving an example of my narrowmindedness and lack of imagination but most importantly of my shameless complacency. I thought the world revolved around me and quite frankly due to this belief, I couldn't think of anything but myself, although I was not entirely self obsessed either. However, I am making these comparisons so that you under stand the state of my oblivion. 

It was when one day as I was pouring cereal into my bowl at around seven on a Saturday, I heard, without much attentiveness, through an opening in the kitchen wall, the television blaring in the room adjacent to it. When I adjusted my ears to what the newsreporter was actually saying did I finally grasp the absurdity of it. Perhaps it was because of my sleep deprivation or my immense hunger that I still was unable to make out the depth of the situation. The things she was saying did not reach my brain in one piece. Similarly, my brain had been completely ignoring the sounds of the approaching helicopters ever so distinct in their rhythm. I was transfixed on the television and what the woman was trying to warn us about. By then, in my state of trance, I had poured enough cereal in my bowl to fill up not one but two stomachs. I took my bowl in one hand and fetched a spoon with the other towards the T.V lounge. The woman was still speaking of things that my brain could not fathom to digest. Then it hit me. I placed my bowl on the coffee table for if I held it any longer, it would carry me to the floor with its weight it felt like. By then, I had lost my appetite and was wide awake. It was rather peculiar how the things my life revolved around seemed so insignificant all of a sudden. In the moment, I was in a state of shock; utterly and totally moved to my core. My mother walked in, nonchalantly wrapping her robe around herself as she stood by me. Her eyes landed on the television and I saw her change completely. I looked at her and she looked at me and in that moment I saw my mother as vulnerable as I. On the news the unthinkable was unfolding. My heartbeat was in my throat and it was fast. I remember being scared to the point where I wanted to hide because I didn't want to face reality. I was too cowardly to face the truth and hence shut my eyes tight, praying that when I opened them, everything would be normal. At that moment, I felt a weird sensation flow through my body, as if I was descending into another realm and I almost fainted. My mother clutched me by the shoulders and sat me down on the couch. I saw her rattle through the kitchen drawers, frantically opening one and moving on the next, then shutting it and finally giving up; her hands in her hair. 

"Stay here." She warned me.

I remember then, her frantic footsteps up the stairs, synonymous with the whirring of the helicopter wings. Predictably, I was still glued to the couch, now with perspiration flowing down my forehead and collecting at the tip of my nose. So profuse was it that my shirt was drenched and the floor under my nose had become wet with the droplets. The television was still on and the news reporter was still talking of the mishap that had taken the city under siege. Just then, I still vividly recall, a tremendous explosion resonated through the air. I heard my mother shout my name and then she was by my side, a .22 in her hand. Luckily, we were together when the second explosion hit us. The sound reverberated in my ears. I ran with my mother, albeit clumsily, towards the safety of the street. She swung the door open and we stumbled out into the open. Some of our neighbours were on the street too and someone's car was beeping wildly. It was then that we saw before us in the sky, an utter horror show. It was teemed with helicopters and birds alike, circling the smoke clouds like moths to a flame. It felt unreal, for we had only seen and heard of such catastrophes only in movies. What was even more ironic was that I was to go to the movies with my mom that day, and for what, you migh wonder, well let me tell you this aswell for it is an important part of the story. We were to watch a re-run of George. A. Romero's classic zombie movies. Why is this relevant to the story? I'm sure some of you might have caught on by now and if not, here's what the news reporter said before the television went ballistic.

"The dead bodies reportedly came back to life after being proclaimed very much dead by the officials. They then attacked the doctors and ate their flesh before they managed to escape. There were a total of twelve dead bodies recovered from the train accident the previous morning after which they were proclaimed dead and were being kept at the Hospital until identification was complete. However, due to some sort of exposure to an unknown pathogen being carried either in the train or contracted by some other source, the bodies revived within 24 hours."

February 09, 2021 09:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

D. Owen
21:14 Feb 17, 2021

I was curious as to what the broadcast was reporting. *There are some sentences that could have been written as two or more rather than using commas.

Reply

Eesha T
11:04 Feb 18, 2021

Thank you for the feedback. There's always room for improvement.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.