27 comments

Contemporary Fiction

My bones hurt as I drag myself inside. It’s been a long day. Some people make snide remarks, ‘Oh, you’re a teacher? It must be nice to get all those holidays!’ and other such comments. I say, just try it. You go ahead and do what I do for a day, cramming a syllabus into the heads of the unwilling, while dealing with their issues and quirks, then see if you want to come back and do it again. I’m buggered at the end of each day, emotionally drained to the point that I really can’t ‘adult’ anymore.

I kick my shoes off, leaving them where they fall, echoes of my mother ringing in my ears. ‘Don’t leave your shoes lying around for anyone to trip over. What do I look like? Your maid?’ But I just can’t summon enough energy to care. I dump my bag and keys and head straight to the fridge, where I know an open bottle of white is chilling. Just half a glass, don’t judge! I don’t drink on an empty stomach, so I pull out some crackers and cheese. I wish I had some gourmet stuff, you know, the cheese with those fancy names I can’t pronounce, but all I have is a block of cheddar that’s slightly hard around the edge. Beggars can’t be choosers after all, and with the day I’ve had, I’m not in any mood to be fussy.

I flop onto the couch, careful not to spill a drop and rest the plate of cheese and crackers on my lap as I scroll through Netflix for the next episode of my guilty pleasure. A half an hour of decompression time before I start marking is what I need. Self care and all that.

Julian emerges from the bedroom, running late as usual. He’s on nights this week, which is fortunate for me, as I have made plans with my pile of year twelve mock exams. If I don’t get the papers marked and back to the students tomorrow, the shit will hit the proverbial fan. Their final exams are looming and these results are critical.

“Seen my keys?” Julian hollers from the kitchen as he goes through his manic departure routine. It’s a rhetorical question. I’ve only just come home and have no idea what he’s done with the keys.

“I’ve gotta go. I’ll take yours.”

I nod and wave absently, focused entirely on my show. “Bye.”

One episode becomes two, one half glass of white becomes… well, I may have lost count, but there’s still some wine in the bottle, so not too many…. unless this was a new bottle? No, I definitely didn’t open a second. I’m good. I resign myself to marking the exams as I make a bowl of pasta with cheese. Don’t judge, I also mix up a small bowl of greens and carrots and call it salad. I am aware of healthy eating plans. Reluctantly, I put the nearly empty bottle of wine back in the fridge and negotiate with myself that I can have one more glass later, but only if I promise to finish the marking first.

Marking, ugggh! It’s the bane of my existence. I would literally rather do anything else. It’s depressing and highlights my failure as a teacher. How do these kids not know an answer when we’ve literally spent weeks on a concept? Oh well, better to bite the bullet and get it over with. I fish out my trusty red pen and reach for my bag with the exam papers. Shit! The bag is empty! I know I put the papers in there. I close my eyes and think back. Yep, I picked up the pile off my desk, placed them inside a folder, and slipped it into my bag. Then where the hell were they? The only place they could be is in the car.

I scrunch my eyes and press my fingers into the sides of my head, as if that will help activate my brain. Mandy, a graduate teacher, had caught me up in the car park and asked for the copy of the year eight text book I promised her. It was in my bag, right at the bottom, so I had taken out everything to get to it, dumping the contents, including the folder, onto the back seat. I sigh. Where are my keys? I put them on the bench with my bag… didn’t I? Nope, not there.

Perhaps I left them in the car, not gonna lie, I’ve done that before. So I trudge out to the carport, where Julian’s white Honda sits lonely and forlorn. My blue Nissan is nowhere to be seen. Bloody hell! Did I leave the keys in the car and someone stole it? But the roller door is down. Surely a thief wouldn’t close the door after they left. Hang on, Julian’s Honda is here, but my car is missing, and Julian is at work. I blame the wine, because my brain seems to struggle to make the connection, but finally it clicks. Julian took my car to work. My car that has the year twelve papers sitting in a folder on the back seat.

My stomach drops and then heaves.

I race inside for my phone. Please Julian, be on a break! I dial his number, but it’s straight to message-bank and I leave a frantic message.

“Hey Jules, it’s me, you’ve taken my car and my marking is in there, and I need it!”

I hang up and bite my nail, a bad habit which tends to rear its nasty head when I’m stressed or anxious. I’m in so much trouble. My stomach lurches again as the ringing starts in my ears. The world tips a little as it slowly begins to spin, and I rush for the bathroom. Another bad habit from my childhood. Whenever things get too much for me to cope with, my stomach tries to reject all its contents. I know this is the fight/ flight/ freeze response. I just can’t control it.

After washing my pale face with cold water and rinsing my mouth, I head back to the couch to assess my situation. Is this enough for me to lose my job? Maybe… I mean, I’m supposed to get the results back to the students in a timely manner, and it’s been three days. Ok, I will admit to procrastinating. My desk at work has never looked so tidy and I’ve collated and alphabetised all the resources for next semester. Yeah, I was using avoidance tactics, stalling for time, and now I’m paying for it. The students will be expecting to get their papers back tomorrow. I’m cactus!

Options? Take Julian’s car and try to find him at the hospital to swap cars.

pros: I’d be doing something, which is better than nothing.

cons: 1) I’ve been drinking, it would be just my luck to hit a booze bus.

2) I probably won’t be able to find him.

3) I can’t find his keys.

I search the kitchen, the dining room, the bedroom, the laundry—turning out pants’ pockets—but no keys. Where the hell has Julian put his keys? I bet they’re in his work bag. It would be just like him to take my car because he couldn’t find his keys, only for him to have his keys all along.

Option 2, ring in sick tomorrow—migraine, influenza, Covid, plague, dysentery, anything really that would get me out of being there to face the music.

pros: an extra day to get the blasted papers marked.

cons: would need to get a medical certificate and I’m not that good at faking symptoms.

Option 3, I’m out of options. Could I stage an alien abduction?

pros: I’d be out of the country, off the planet even.

cons: 1) I don’t know any aliens and

2) Probing! (However, I think I’d rather be probed by aliens than face my class tomorrow without their papers.)

Option 4, I could Uber to the hospital…

pros: I wouldn’t be driving.

cons: but I’d still need to find Julian, get my keys, find my car and then drive home, still possibly over the legal limit.

Yeah, not worth it.

Option 5, face the music. Apologise and explain.

pros: it’s the truth.

Cons: it’s the truth.

Why is ‘adulting’ so hard? I need another glass of wine.


November 07, 2023 13:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

27 comments

Amanda Lieser
01:55 Jan 04, 2024

Hey Michelle! Well, you’ve certainly captured the voice of a teacher for the story. I can tell that it’s coming from experience I loved the way that you talked about some of the comments made to the educators of the world, and how the reality of the their positions is extremely challenging. I have a colleague who only reconciled with the fact that she didn’t want to become a teacher in her last semester of college, so she dropped out. it’s challenging work and it didn’t occur to her how much it would impact her life until she was finishing u...

Reply

Michelle Oliver
02:02 Jan 04, 2024

Thanks for reading this one and leaving a response. Adulting is hard. Teaching is hard. Yes, I teach and I have heard the bit about holidays so often. I honestly couldn’t do the job without a break. I would burn out. There’s more to teaching than just showing up to do the job, and if you don’t show up feeling 100%, the little darlings can eat you alive!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
11:49 Nov 21, 2023

You had some funny stuff in here which every student will understand. Especially the procrastinators.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
11:56 Nov 21, 2023

Thanks for reading. Procrastination is something I’m guilty of, thus I am replying here rather than completing my school reports!

Reply

Graham Kinross
12:02 Nov 21, 2023

What do you teach? I work at an after school care facility that’s decided the fun lessons it wants us to give should be tested each term which I think is counterproductive in a country where kids are literally examined to death.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
12:40 Nov 21, 2023

I teach music to primary school children. I have to give grades to 5 year olds on their ability to appreciate and perform music. I wish I could just do an Oprah, “You get an A! And you get an A! Everyone gets an A!” Especially at that age.

Reply

Graham Kinross
22:07 Nov 21, 2023

Exactly. Grading them feels like it might put them off.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Marty B
06:29 Nov 16, 2023

Oh this MC is having a tough night! A little procrastination leads the papers being kidnapped by her partner. Very believable situation that nails the prompt. I 'll toast you with my own glass of wine, reading this story instead of writing my own ;) Thanks!

Reply

Michelle Oliver
09:16 Nov 16, 2023

Procrastination is my middle name too. Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Julie Grenness
01:17 Nov 16, 2023

Hi, well written. This story uses a real world scenario, so endearing, to build some realistic alternative solutions. The blip will hit the fan the next day, or the next. The writer employed an evocative choice of language to build a conclusion. I look forward to more such great writing. Epic lit!

Reply

Michelle Oliver
09:18 Nov 16, 2023

Thank you for reading it and for leaving a review.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Black Rose
23:17 Nov 15, 2023

"cons: 1) I don’t know any aliens and Probing! (However, I think I’d rather be probed by aliens than face my class tomorrow without their papers.)" 🤣🤣🤣 That one got me! Great story! Thoroughly enjoyed it!

Reply

Michelle Oliver
09:19 Nov 16, 2023

Glad you had a laugh. I chuckled writing it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nina H
13:30 Nov 13, 2023

She actually had some great solutions, even after wining!! I’ve definitely been there, and grading (especially essays) is a form of torture!! I’m a Level One professional procrastinator, all my life. I like to tell myself I work best under pressure. It was my birthday the other day and my sister got me a shirt with Jefferson on it saying “Crap, that’s due tomorrow? July 3, 1776” (Declaration of Independence joke, I’m pretty sure you’re not in America!) Thanks for the enjoyable read!! I could totally relate!!!

Reply

Michelle Oliver
13:54 Nov 13, 2023

Grading papers is the worst, and I am a grade A procrastinator too. Happy birthday! And perhaps your T-shirt could inspire you for this week’s prompt as Jefferson pulls an all nighter to get the declaration done.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kailani B.
18:46 Nov 12, 2023

I'd hate to be in that situation. But if someone tried to get out of work by saying they had dysentery, I might let it slide because it's kinda funny.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
22:22 Nov 12, 2023

Or abducted by aliens, hehe.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
15:51 Nov 12, 2023

Oh, I felt the stress here! It was so tempting for the MC to escape for a bit and lose track of time watching Netflix, but the responsibility was pressing! Definitely got inside this teacher’s shoes. Guilty of procrastination myself. I just wanted to rescue her. Well told.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
22:21 Nov 12, 2023

Procrastination is probably my middle name too! Thanks for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
04:48 Nov 12, 2023

As always--pure enjoyment.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
06:52 Nov 12, 2023

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tom Skye
16:36 Nov 08, 2023

Funny stuff Michelle. Great voice in this. You handled the anxiety of being overwhelmed and the racing monkey mind hilariously. I think we have all been in that state before. Awesome read. Thanks for sharing

Reply

Michelle Oliver
22:19 Nov 08, 2023

Thanks for reading. Busy, crazy lives cause us so much stress!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
23:01 Nov 07, 2023

Nails the prompt. An all too familiar long day turns into a decompression/negotiation that (blessedly) drags, and then suddenly the stress spikes and we're panicking. And there's nobody else to blame, due to procrastinating. But everyone needs a break every now and then, don't they? Seems like something's gone wrong if we've normalized running people ragged as an expected work day. This is a spiral, a vicious cycle, where taking the time to fix it makes it worse, because that spare time doesn't exist. It's a good story, if not an entirel...

Reply

Michelle Oliver
07:20 Nov 08, 2023

Stress is the cornerstone of our lives in this present day. There absolutely is no time to decompress, yet we need it so badly. If we take the time it ultimately causes more issues. I know I went back to work too soon after surgery because I needed to get the work done. Thanks for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
15:51 Nov 07, 2023

Haha. From personal experience, I suppose? Amusing and probably relatable for most teachers. 😁🤍

Reply

Michelle Oliver
21:48 Nov 07, 2023

Yep certainly some experience here, although I teach primary school children so there isn’t that sense of urgency to mark work.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.