9 comments

Romance

If they had to place a picture beside the word ‘’Unconventional’’ mine would’ve been next to it because I brought it meaning or as Cindy said emphasis. Armed with a picture in a frame, a couple of encounters, I set out to find him. Before that I had met him a few times showing him houses in Eaglesview.

A freelance writer he had just moved into town looking for a place to stay. Cindy referred him to me as the best real estate agent in town or as she liked to hype me the ‘’Queen of Real Estate’’. Cindy was okay but she sometimes exaggerated though I was good at what I did. You could always trust her to put in a good word for you with potential clients.

 That’s exactly what she did with Stewart. A remote columnist in the local paper he’d come to stay in town for at least a year or two. To get familiar with the town and better his writing since his writings were about our little town and then some.

Before I took on a client I researched them just to see what sort of style they were into. Any detail could help me take them to a house that would suit them. This method proved efficient even though with Stewart it seemed like I was stalking him. He was devilishly hot, I admit going through his face book page several times than necessary.

I turned his house hunting into dates, deliberately making them unappealing so we could continue the charade. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. At the end of a sale I made clients write reviews to encourage customers. Despite, trying to get him to notice me he settled for the second house out of all the 20. It didn’t matter as long as it was affordable, quiet so he could hear himself think. I had given him the best deal but was sad that my ‘’work dates’’ were over.

Though they were over I wasn’t going to let our love story end there without knowing if he was at all attracted to me even just a little. Before he moved in, I tampered with it. It worked because I got to see him when I went to ‘’inspect’’. This resulted in him suing the company I worked for,  not what I bargained for. Caught between a rock and a hard place, I was either going to lose my job or Stewart was going to lose a lot of money suing or getting counter sued for defamation and damage to property.

The hearings went back and forth; the guy I wanted to like me began to hate me because I wouldn’t testify as a witness. I had done that to keep seeing him but now it came down to my job, reputation and that of the company.

Cindy was not pleased as this strained hers and Stewart’s working relationship. ‘’Are all your friends  liars and frauds Cindy?!’’ The last thing I wanted was to ruin that. Tried going over to his place to explain, for the good of the company and him but he wouldn’t hear a thing and threatened to call the police. The neighbour’s dog kept barking at me. Could he maybe sense my shame and guilt?

The next day in court was in Cindy’s words much like a ‘’soap opera’’. I got on the witness stand and testified.

‘’Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, your honour, I have been unfair and dishonest towards my company and client. I not only lied to both parties but to some extent and degree defamed them as liars; the only liar between them was me. I was introduced to the client by my friend Cindy. He was looking for a house, upon seeing the client I fell for him, began thinking about him as more than a client. This led me to show him 20 houses without a sale. Though in good shape I told him some parts of it weren’t so that we would continue until he liked me. He eventually bought a house at half the price, I took it upon myself to pay the other half as if I had sold it half price because of the ‘’damaged’’ parts’’.*The jury was in awe, so was Stewart*

‘’After all that, he still didn’t notice me. So while he was out I broke in and damaged property, l broke the shower slightly, fiddled with the wires in the stove and messed with the plumbing.’’

 ‘’What do you mean by messed with the plumbing? Please refrain from using layman’s terms in the court room.’’

‘’Sorry your honour, It’s difficult to explain. I wanted to cause flooding.’’

* Chuckle’s* ‘’were you going to repair all that? Are you a jack of all trades?’’

‘’No the idea was to meet him more times, as possible.’’

 ‘’Were you are aware that the wires you fiddled with could’ve tripped, causing an explosion?’’

*Paused looking at Stewart who was appalled* ‘’... No your honour. I’m sorry Stewart ‘’ (there is commotion)

 ‘’ Order! , It’s been observed, that neither the client nor the company is to blame for costs incurred at the hands of one Miss Rose Hearthstone. She is guilty of fraud, breaking and entering, obstruction of justice and will be sentenced to 20 years.’’

‘’Rose’’ (Cindy cries while the guards cuff me)

 Sorry, Stewart I’m sorry (they drag me to the holding cell)

The next day the story was published in the newspapers with the headlines. ‘’When she makes your life a living hell’’

The guard was intrigued and handed me the article. It read , ‘’She tampered with the wiring in the house and plumbing, in all that chaos how could she think he would ever notice her’’ Other newspapers got clever, ’’Desperate Housewife’’ I didn’t care what the world thought of me, but I did care what Stewart thought.

I was in jail but the worst was not over. I lost my job and both Stewart and the company sued me. I lost everything, basically when I got out I wouldn’t have a place to go. Was Stewart really this harsh? Maybe all this could’ve been avoided if I had just expressed my feelings.

I served my term day in day out. Cindy like the best friend that she was came to see me every now and then, my only connection to the outside world and bridge to sanity. I had become a celebrity, other inmates tormented me, would ask Cindy about Stewart but she would ask me to let go of this ‘’obsession’’ or she would tell them to move me to an insane asylum. I stopped asking. She would bring me ice-cream and magazines. Tried forgetting Stewart but couldn’t, he was engraved in my mind and heart. Moments with him though chaotic, felt like I had known him for a long time. He haunted my thoughts.

 Years dwindled into months I finally got out. Cindy came to pick me up. First thing I did was shower wanting to erase all traces of jail time. Wanted to get my life together and for that I needed Stewart. I began searching for him online but only found his articles. Wanted to report him missing but that would only start scandal with the local press.

So without telling Cindy I started my shenanigans again. Cindy told me Stewart had moved and didn’t know where. I went by his house and found it empty. I caressed myself against the walls as if part of his scent was left there. I went into the basement and found a photo of his in a frame. It was now my safe keep. Cindy wasn’t lying. If she knew I would’ve gotten it out of her. Stew had stolen my heart, I was determined to steal his or at least try. I wanted to explain things... start afresh. One thing was sure; Cindy and the police wouldn’t help me. Rather they would apprehend me for stalking. I told Cindy I was going job hunting which made her happy because she didn’t want me on her couch forever. I met up with one of the inmates who were inside with me. This was asking for trouble but I had no choice. She was tied to the mafia and she took me to them. Her reason for being in the slammer was because she took a hit for them and went down for the crime. I was relieved it wasn’t murder. I told them I was looking for a man named Stewart; he made off with my money, a lot of it. I couldn’t find him. Of course they asked me what would be in it for them; I told them we would split the money. I pleaded with them not to harm him in anyway. This was the mafia I had to emphasise.

  With no cent to my name I had to gamble, just as I did before, I just needed a second chance. Wherever he was the mafia would uproot him. I told them he was my husband but we’re separated.

I cooked up a believable story about having money though I was sued for everything. I told them I had embezzled money from the company I worked for before the Stewart Saga, and that I had placed the cash with Stewart who fled with it and that the court wrangles were just a charade. I admit it was like sliding on a razor blade, guess I was ‘’desperate’’. If the plan flopped I was in fact going to die for my love.

Months passed before they tracked him down in Africa, he was freelancing. How they brought him here I don’t know I suspect it was on the pretence of a job with an attractive pay. I told them he was greedy to the core and wouldn’t quit his day job even though he was rich. Writing was his first love. They stayed in character until I got there. He was being kept at a penthouse near the beach. Didn’t even know that he was being held hostage, a lamb to the slaughter.

I asked for no hostility. I told them that getting the money from him would be easy as I had dirt on him. I went the next day as the client. Though they wanted money they weren’t stupid, they had ‘’housekeeping’’ bug the place. Thank God they didn’t install cameras.

*I rang the doorbell and he opened without delay.*

‘’Hello you must be the client, please come in’’

‘’Yes thank you’’   *disguised he didn’t recognise me.*

‘’You don’t look like you’re from here’’

‘’ I’m not I’m here on business only’’

*I open the briefcase and place a blank paper in front of him*

‘’Err so what’s this’’

‘’These are the plans of the project.’’ *While explaining I told him everything on the piece of paper. I told him the mafia were listening and that he had to play along. I hadn’t told him that I had gotten them to find him yet. I just told him I was in debt and they wanted money and that he had to play along. He wanted to burst into flames. I made gestures for him not to otherwise we would all die. From the outside it looked like we were signing papers so it didn’t alarm them. I had hanged myself by the neck and tightened the rope with each deception. I pulled out a gun.*

‘’Stewart! It’s me, give me the money, and give me the money now before I blow your brains out’’

‘’W’ wait honey no need to get hostile I will get the money, it’s just not here’’

 ‘’Then where is it!’’ *I cock up the gun*

 ‘Wait... I buried it in Cindy’s backyard’’

‘’What? ‘’

*Last thing I wanted was to get Cindy involved, I already had two people involved in this mess. No matter I would play this game until I hit a hole in one.*

‘’Of all the places you could have hid the money you hid it with her?”

‘’Not with her but in her backyard’’

‘’Same thing!’’

‘’Look baby, we have to go there now and get the money’’

*We made our way to Cindy’s and found a letter; Cindy had gone to visit her Aunt for the weekend. She was safe as long as she wasn’t here. Like always the Mafia were right outside and now it was just me and Stew. He closed the door behind him.*

‘’What the hell is wrong you Rose!’’

‘’Please, just hear me out’’

‘’The Mafia! What you couldn’t get a private detective? And just why were you so hell bent on finding me? Did I owe you money?’’

‘’Please just hear me out’’

‘’You’re crazy; I mean I knew you were crazy but not this crazy’’

 ‘’I became crazy when I fell in love with you. I developed feelings for you. So strong I thought if we saw each other more often you would feel the same way. I wanted a second chance. I wanted you to forgive me, please.’’

‘’We can talk about our feelings and forgiving each other later.’’

‘’What do you need forgiveness for? ’’

‘’We have to lose these guys, escape them somehow *ignores my question*

‘’Escape them? There is no escaping them, dodging them yes, but not escaping.’’

‘’Well we have to I mean where are we gonna get 2

Million? Do you have any lying somewhere?’’

‘’No I lost every penny I had, law suits.’’

‘’Where is Cindy?

 ‘’Her Aunt’s place’’

 ‘’Good, tell her to stay there’’

‘’Tried calling, her phone is off’’

 ‘’Try her Aunt’s home phone, in the mean time let’s get out of here.’’

‘’We gonna live on the run?’’

‘’Pretty much until we run into some money’’

*I hug him*

‘’Oh Stew, I love you,’’ *he didn’t say it back*

We used the backdoor, took our passports, and ran off to the airport; little did we know that we’re being followed .We made our way to  Hawaii, still couldn’t get a hold of Cindy so I called her Aunt and heard she wasn’t there. Stew was getting drinks at the bar when the Mafia boss called.

‘’Hello Rose you enjoying your vacation?’’, *Stew kept looking back at our table*

‘’Are you looking for Cindy?’’

‘’What have you done to her?’’

‘’Nothing... Yet, but If I don’t get my money there will be hell to pay. Kill her right in front of you and kill the both of you, this time we won’t take half we will take the whole 2 million.’’

‘’No, please, I will get the money’’

‘’Remember, I’m watching, you won’t even know if we decide to poison you.’’

* Stew was about to take a sip of tequila, I slap it away.*

‘’ The fuck was that!’’

‘’They were poisoned’’

‘’Wait, the barman? *Looks back, he was gone*

‘’They kidnapped Cindy I would never forgive myself if anything happened to her *panicking*

‘’Rose, calm down, I’m here *he hugs me*

‘What are we going to do?’’

*sighs* ‘’I swear I have never had woman trouble like this but...,’’

‘’What you mean?’’

‘’ I can get the money. After that whole debacle I wrote a book, about you. . Sold a lot’’

‘’You wrote about me without my permission.’’

 ‘’Shut up let’s not try to get all innocent.’’

 ‘’ I can gather money but we need time’’

   ‘’Oh my God thank you Stew’’

 We gathered money, called the mafia boss again. Told him to meet us at a restraunt. Made our way to the there, waited until they walked through the door with Cindy looking disturbed.

‘’what a lovely couple, Why did you separate, that’s right you were never together, ‘’my money?”

*Stew opens the briefcase*

 ‘’You kept your word’’, Nice doing business with you. Tell us in future if you want to find someone again, or hire a private detective. I won’t be so generous after you’ve lied to me.’’

* I rush to hug Cindy when she tells me she has a bomb strapped to her ankle. That’s why she was crying.*

‘’We have to get out of here’’

‘’Rose there might not be time lets diffuse it here’’

‘’We’re gonna die!’’

‘’I’m sorry Cindy for causing this but please calm down’’

‘’Never thought that things would end this way or that we would meet this way’’

‘’What are you talking about?’’

‘’I have something to tell you Rose *as he diffuses the bomb * I’m not who you think you I am’’

‘’Great more secrets’’ *Cindy says*

‘’It’s, Jared Bennett.’’

‘’Jared,’’ *Cindy asks*

‘’Bennett, from high school’’

‘’Yes’’

‘’What happened to your face?’’

Reconstructive surgery, had an accident..., it’s a miracle I survived,

‘’I understand but,?’’

‘’I got into some trouble, changed my name’’

*Still trying to diffuse the bomb, the conversation helped us stay calm*

‘’That’s why I felt a deep connection with you.’’

 ‘’This is the only good thing that came out of this whole thing’’

‘’You know I bought a ring, was gonna ask you to marry me. I didn’t wind up here by mistake you know.’’

‘’Don’t get me wrong, what you did hurt; . I mean I loved you, still do.’’

‘’I understand, if you never forgive me.’’

‘’Already forgave you, if you forgive me’’

‘’You don’t need to ask for forgiveness, you were going to tell me the truth’’

‘’Well forgive me for this, the timing’’.

‘’Will you marry me?’’ *just then he managed to diffuse the bomb*

 *Still in awe*

‘’We wasted enough time already, and before you try and get us gets us killed again I want us  married first’’

‘’ Say yes!’’

‘’Yes, I will marry you Stew’’

*Cindy starts dancing*

‘’I’m gonna be a bridesmaid ‘’

Well that’s my story, unconventional and all. We got our happily ever after. Now I’m trying to find a man for Cindy, should I engage the Mafia again?

August 14, 2020 08:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

9 comments

Christopher G
20:22 Aug 16, 2020

Very well done! Such a gripping story, kept me invested and wanting more. Check out some of my stories if you'd like :)

Reply

Racheal Chie
20:24 Aug 16, 2020

Thank you for reading and commenting.Its my first story here.I will read yours.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rose CG
23:41 Aug 16, 2020

Interesting storyline. I'm a little confused about two things: 1. When did Stew fell in love with the girl? 2. What happened over the twenty years to change Stew's feelings? I hope you do not mind the questions. Stay safe~Rose

Reply

Racheal Chie
06:15 Aug 17, 2020

The prompt given was about highschool sweethearts who meet after many years apart right? I wanted to make my story as unpredictable as possible hence the story line.Stew and Rose fell in love in highschool.I thought some things didn't need to be said in the story and to leave it up to the readers imagination plus with the word count I had to take some things out even though it hurt me like I was killing my own baby lol.Stew and Rose fell in love in highschool, but their story ended when he moved, but he never forgot about her so he came back...

Reply

Rose CG
19:41 Aug 17, 2020

So sorry, I had been reading other stories that day and got the prompts mixed up!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kathleen March
21:23 Aug 16, 2020

First, note please that the verb is defue, not diffuse. You have a great ability to move the narrative along, to write in a niceky wacky way. However, I would suggest that the grammar and punctuation need editing, including for use of commas and apostrophes. The other impression I get is that there is a lot packed into one story. You could make it much tighter, perhaps. I hope you will take these comments as they are intended - to be honest and supportive.

Reply

Racheal Chie
06:17 Aug 17, 2020

Thank you for the criticism.And yes there is a lot packed into the story.I will admit that I had to take a lot out of the story in order for it to fit into the word count.I am open to criticism any time,it will help me get better at my craft.

Reply

Kathleen March
13:19 Aug 17, 2020

Maybe you tried to tell what is a much longer story. I have had that happen to me. It can help to focus only on one part and tell that part, knowing you can write another story to attach to it. My last story, The Librarian, is part of a much larger narrative, and I took jyst one part. Still, I know there should be more in it. I will work on that later, in another story. Just trying to offer a suggestion.

Reply

Racheal Chie
19:03 Aug 17, 2020

Thank you for and appreciate it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.