1 comment

Black Fiction Indigenous

I heard it when most did. They had found the bull wandering around and treashing farms and crops in them.I went along with some of our  village young men to go and see things and these marauders for ourselves. The herdsmen or whatever popular cattle rearers from the northern part of the country are known as have done it again. This time it was that they wiped away the whole village in the neighboring community not far from ours, when they tried to prevent their free roaming bulls from damaging their farm products.

When we got there in umuaki community where the said incident happened, we saw everything and everyone in good health, going about their daily business. All the young men that had rushed there bearing guns and swords, were still sighing seriously almost an hour after getting there to render help. They sat still scowling from the impact of the rumor and where wondering why this kind of fake news is spreading and gaining ground each day as in this part of the town

The Umuaki community we had rushed to render help to, their village chief seems to know how we are feeling and decided to use his head. He sat us down to narrate how the whole story had not been without a trace of truth in it: " those cattle rearers had approached with their swords and gun while their menacing cows that seen to me to be more like bulls preceded them but the community youths and all the vigilante groups had outnumbered them and ordered them to behave or face their wrath. They pointed them to the bushes far from the peoples farms they should go graze in '' he said, eyeing all of us as if we were the herdsmen. "They had viewed our faces and tone we used in delivering this message and know that we aren't joking and went towards the direction we pointed them'' village elder said.

When our vigilante guys were on their way back, they had not gone far away from them, when they turned back. Our boys had taken such an unannounced U turn to mean war intent and had released several gunshots in the air to indicate to the herdsmen that no one is joking among them. Several white handkerchiefs were up in seconds, fluttering like butterflies in response to the bullets from our side.

Some of our boys as you all know are not all that exposed and those exposed had tried to educate them on the meaning of the fluttering white handkerchiefs but some of the illiterates are either fearful or don't trust the educated among them telling them what the sign stood for. They had continued to release bullets while taking positions intent on gunning those herdsmen down. But the educated among them had decided to prevent that bloodshed, they needed to reply with the same white handkerchiefs waving as sign of peace. That 

was how the near war event was prevented.

  " But we heard that almost one village was wiped out" one man from our community quipped. 

" Some people near the place heard the sound of the guns and decided smartly as taught to lie flat on the ground to avoid stray bullets. That must be what those that reported saw people fall on the ground and assumed its bullet knocking them down. Nah, they are just taking covers, in case of an expected"

That tale made sense to us and we decided to return to our community. This idea of next communities surrounding the attacked community coming to their aid was a format agreed by many communities in the state after massacring of the unequipped villagers not long ago by the herdsmen. 

Back in our community, our chief and the cabinets in charge of the vigilante groups were waiting in the town hall and needed our briefings as protocol demands. We went straight to the hall. Funny thing to see how the whole town had gone stone cold as everyone had run inside taking protection of every funny kind that came to mind.

"Igwe, may you live long" the leader of the vigilante group greeted the king and his cabinet as we hover not far. After narrating what the Umuaki village chief told us about the incident last evening, you can not fail to see the relief on the faces of these chiefs. Why do they fear upheaval to this level? "I suspect it has something to do with the bad traits in them" I muttered to myself. The man beside me heard what I said and eyed me for a long time through the corner of his eyes, frowning. It's not a good sign as I see it. But I didn't care. It's one of those things you counter in politics. 

I couldn't believe it when I got a note from the king, the town leader and cabinet members asking me to come in two days time to see them in the town hall. It never crossed my mind that it had anything to do with the rumor of the herdsmen. Two days later, as I entered the compound of the town hall around 9: 35 am, I was more than surprised to see the arrangement of the chairs and those occupying each. I had witnessed question and answer, witnessed trials in the same hall many times, so, I knew all isn't well with the summon. I composed myself and approached the group gently. " Igwe!, may you live long" I greeted. He acknowledged with a nod of his head and never a word. I was asked to sit down. I was relieved to see it wasn't a trial but a question and answer that might lead to the trial. 

The weather that particular morning wasn't that bad, the sun was certainly fighting not with rain on who to impose its authority most but with what I can't readily fathom. 

"We are the one that called you Martin. As you can see, this is not a trial yet and we pray it won't get to it, we considered how you have rendered your services selflessly to this town, so we decided to call you to inquire if what we are hearing is true."One of the king's leading chiefs started.  " You heard tales of what happened to the town of Ikadike a few years back because of unfounded rumors. I will touch on it as refresher" he said eyeing me as if looking through me. "One trusted and well known young man in that town had started exactly this kind of herdsmen rumors only for all the able young men in Ikadike to rush to the neighboring town to render help. The herdsmen attacked Ikadike from an unexpected direction and nearly wiped the whole town away when those that would defend them went to help another community. Now, we heard that you are the one that spread that rumor yesterday, what is in your mind for us?"  I smirked intentionally for effect.  "For us" meaning the whole town. "I am more than surprised to hear this from my elders. Who is spreading this kind of malicious rumor against me? I was among those that rushed with ammunition to render help. Why would I kill myself to save others I know not from Adam?" I asked, keeping eyes on them all. " Why are you asking us questions, young man? We want you to tell us why you are spreading these kinds of deadly rumors and you are answering the Igwe and council question with one of your own?"  He asked, face swelling with anger. I decided to use my brain after knowing what happened to those that challenged the king and his cabinet in past years. "My apologies my elders. I don't mean it that way"  "next time mind your manners, okay?" "Yes, yes my masters" "you can sit and try again" I sat and repeated my answer minus question part and tone. We were at it till 2:30 pm. The sun wasn't friendly after winning the imposition war. It was hammering on the roof of the town hall building and its effect was felt inside. I will be kidding myself if I don't acknowledge that it aided their hastening the questions. I was set free and I breathed in and out seriously after they dispersed leaving me and few spectators. I wondered where that one came from.

Not long ago, this my community had ostracized a man they found guilty of insulting the king and his cabinet for fifteen years. The stupid man, hard in his ignorance, doesn't know he is being watched, his compound being watched. He had sneaked into the town around 2:45 am after fifteen days only as an outcast and was kidnapped by a town vigilante before being starved on the orders of the king and his cabinet. He had died on the seventh day of his forced fasting and his body was secretly buried. That was a few years ago. Why someone wants to add me to that list is a thing of surprise. Who have I offended?

June 08, 2024 07:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Mary Bendickson
00:38 Jun 10, 2024

Dangerous politics.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.