Devil charmer-Appu

Submitted into Contest #51 in response to: Write about someone who has a superpower.... view prompt

1 comment

Fantasy

DEVIL CHARMER-APPU

Appu was a wizard. He would speak to ghosts and knew how to deal with them. He lived in a small village on the Konkan coast. He moved up in the world as a powerful sorcerer and was up for grabs anytime.

One day something unusual happened. A small boy in the neighborhood suddenly became a cinematic hero. He passed law and orders, punishments, and demanded everyone to obey his words just behaving like an emperor. It was paranormal yet a very funny scenario which everyone nearby enjoyed for a while.

The laughter did not last long. Suddenly, something strange happened. The boy swirled up and up, high up and thud! he fell on the ground raising a huge dust storm and swooned! Again, he got up and gazed all around and began to yell in a strange language. His body was stiff, eyes looked protruding, things began to worsen. Children screamed out of fear…. There was a lot of chaos. It was not a disease! Not a game! Not a magic show either. People ran out of steam not knowing what to do. Moments later, like a silver lining in the cloud, there came a young man with a suggestion. He proposed Appu as the right person to guide.

Then, immediately they took him to Appu. After listening to the fearsome story of the boy, he patiently took his magic rope and tied the boy. The boy fainted and fell asleep. Then he asked a few questions in an unfamiliar language. The boy was asleep. Yet, there expelled a cranky voice in reply. The conversation continued nearly for half an hour. People were agog! Not even a single word was familiar to them.

There was a heroic grin on the witch doctor’s face. He told, “Now, the boy is safe. I have shown the devil a place. Once he is in contact with that place he will vanish. So that’s the end of his troubles. Take the boy home, he will be alright by tomorrow.” This is one instance of Appu’s dealings with the ghosts. He was the solution for any black magic or ghastly troubles in his area.

 Another double-edged incident was encountered with a superpower ghost on a poor farmer. He was tangled with a spine-chilling devil. He was living in a nearby village to Appu’s.  It was mid-afternoon.  The farmer, finishing his work on the farm returned home as usual. He spoke to his wife and children, had lunch and just laid down for a nap. Not even forty winks, Lo! suddenly there was a different kettle of fish. He started behaving weird.

He gave a piercing scream and demanded for food. what happened to him? The family members looked at each other’s face wonder stuck! Poor wife patiently served him food again. He ate like a horse and emptied everything at home and asked for more. When he didn’t get anything, he flew off the handle and started damaging the household things, then in the neighborhood too. He became a scary creature by the end of the day. He suddenly became a distracting superpower. People became helpless and did not know what to do. There was an unbearable storm in the entire place. They couldn’t believe their own eyes.

Next morning, few people in the village took a ferry boat and went to Appu. They narrated the whole story of the farmer and poured their grievance. He immediately followed the group and reached the village. As he spoke to the farmer, he could identify the ghost speaking through the farmer. His usual Greek and Latin conversation were on the move. Seemed never ending… At last, he told that a very strong ghost named Brahma rakshasa has entered his body which is very stubborn and was not willing to quit at any cost. He took a leave promising to fight with it the next day.

Then, Appu started his last tantrum which was very risky and that was the last option. There were a few conditions to use it. It was necessary for him to knuckle down till the task was done. He made all the arrangements. He instructed people to cooperate with him and see that everything was under vigilance. High alerts were on the move in the entire circumference passing through the two specific ends, the farmer and the wizard.

Next morning, after his morning prayers he cut out an untorn banana leaf from his backyard, packed all the materials required for his great task. He briefed everything to his wife and explained all his plans.

He said, “dear one, today’s task needs a lot of focus. I have taken everything what I want. I will not come back till I drive that Brahma rakshasa to his destiny. Be very careful. Do not open the door at any cost. Even if I myself come back and call for any good reason, please ignore. Do not open the door, not even the windows. Brahma rakshasa may come in my form and enter home and trouble you. which in turn effects my drive. The moment something happens to you, will take my life too. Such is the connectivity. Be extra careful! Be alert! Don’t even peep out even through the keyhole.”

After instructions and warnings in all possible ways, Appu left home. He had to cross the lake with perfect sanctity. He chanted the relevant mantras, spread the banana leaf on the water and sat on it. His eyes were closed. He was holding the knot of the sacred thread on his body and was in fully divine mode. The leaf floated in the direction of the farmers house. A MAGIC! A magic to see the huge man floating on a thin banana leaf.

Here, in Appu’s house all the doors and windows were closed and well fastened as per instructions. His wife silently sat in the corner of the house praying for her husband. Suddenly, she heard a voice from outside. The voice was her husband’s. Her heart started pounding. Fear, anxiety, confusion, all emotions gushed within her. She came near the door but did not open. Again, the same voice yes, my dear, I did tell you not to open the door even if I myself come back. But I forgot one of my sacred books without which I cannot proceed with my work. Please open. She was reluctant to open. She sobbed with helplessness.

 Then, again in a few minutes came the voice. He said, “Oh, damn it! my own guidelines became a barrier to me. Will you open the door or not? Okay, fine open the window I will show you where the book is. You can give it to me through the window.”

The wife was not willing to do so. But in one corner of her heart she felt it may be genuine. So, she opened the window. Zoom! Zoom! She saw a huge, very huge, devilishly huge scary figure of Brahma rakshasa through the window and collapsed with shock and fear.

The death of his wife weakened the threads of his focus. He lost his powers immediately and was drowned to death. Three strange things happened in this venture.

1. Appu was beyond the veil.

2. His wife was on the wrong side of the grass.

3.  The troubles of Brahma rakshasa magically vanished!

People witnessed every incident. Everything seemed confusing and strange. The question mark of every incident was unanswered and was a mystery.

Some people believed that Appu’s and Brahma rakshasa’s fight remained eternal and the good-hearted man never allowed the evil to crop in again. Some other group of people proclaimed that Brahma rakshasa couldn’t venture into the village because Appu in the ghost form has stood as a defense. God knows the truth. Appu was a true hero and an extraordinary devil charmer.

July 23, 2020 17:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

20:41 Aug 02, 2020

Hello from the Critique Circle! This had a nice 'old-fashioned fairy-tale' feel to it. Nice moment of humor when the magician was blocked out of his house by his own rules! Some of the sentences were a bit clunky because they were a tad long. Splitting up sentences sometimes helps make stories more readable

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.