3 comments

Holiday Christmas Adventure

- "Mooom, River was yelling at me, again!"

- "You're a walking evil ..."

- "And she says I'm a walking needle!"

 - "I will have to reconsider whether we are really related ..."

After my words, a little shaggy creature ran past me and went down the stairs. That creature is my sister and her name is Tina, a person who is fed by torturing me. I am convinced that, in her room, she makes voodoo dolls that look like me and stings them.

It's Christmas Eve. We all gathered to eat the desserts that my mother has been making all week. She always overdoeses making desserts ... Last year we had to offer the whole neighborhood the cakes we had left. Coconut rolls, chocolate pyramids, vanilla cookies ... A woman does not save on pastries for the holidays.

 There were sweets, mom, dad, a little boring being and a candle at the table.

- "Your mother and I thought“, Said our father, „that we shouldn't leave the opening of the presents for Christmas morning and ..."

He didn't even finish the story and Tina was already starting to jump on her chair.

           -"And that's why we're going to do it now." Mom finished with a smile.

All functions in Tina's body were activated as she ran towards the gifts wrapped in golden gift-wrap. It must be the doll that she saw in the commercial, after which she made a whole presentation in front of our parents about „why that doll is the perfect doll for a seven-year-old girl like Tina“.

My mother looked at me and her eyes were screaming to go and see what my gift was hiding. Wide opened eyes insisted on my interest in the festive mood. And so, with forced festive mood, I went to the Christmas tree, of which the top was touching our ceiling.

For mom, Tina, dad, Tina again ...

 - "There is nothing for me here." I said extremely uninterested, but my mother liked that answer, in fact, it seemed as if she was eagerly waiting for it. This family is confusing me more and more day by day.

- "Yes, your gift is extremely special and we had to move it riiight ... here ... Ta-daaa!"

Mom cheerfully showed me a small cage with a parrot of soft white colors. This is a joke ... right?

-"A bird."

-"That's right, and not just any bird, your bird!"

- "What ... What should I do with it?"

- " Well you can feed her, take care of her, watch her fly, talk to her ..."

-"Talk to her?" Did you put some kind of an eavesdropping chip

 in her? ”

- "River ..."

...

I'm aware that I don't talk much in the family, but the fact that they know me so little, I really wasn't aware of that ...

A Bird.

I was watching as the Christmas lights lighten up her cage. She shook her beak a couple of times, spread her wings twice, and once looked at me as if she knew all of my dark secrets.


I jumped on the bed with one big ughhh ..

-"Just because I'm a bird doesn't mean I don't need a name!" A fragile voice came from the direction of the cage. My heart skipped a bit.

- "Did you ... Say something?" I jumped and looked at the bird right away.

- "Yes, I request that you give me a name. Just please don't get too creative, I'm a simple bird, I like simple things. "

 You know that moment when someone tells you something that makes you shake from head to toe. It's just that the statement catches you totally unprepared for something like that and your thoughts and body have no idea how to react properly. Well, this... This was that moment.

- "You ta..."

-"Yes, yes, a talking bird ... Just a minute." The white parrot flew to the cage door and then opened it with a careful movement of its beak. She came out and stood at my table looking at me arrogantly.

Are you shocked? Well, you're not even partially shocked like me right now.

- "I'm a talking bird, hahaha this sounds ridiculous considering how much I've been repeating it already ... Im staying with you for a month and then you have to send me to another family, otherwise my little heart will explode, like this KA-BOOM!"

As I said before, such moments greet us unprepared. The words weren't ready to come out of me yet, at least not the smart ones.

"I see… You're still confused. It's okay, I had an owner who made an appointment with a psychiatrist. Just don't try to kill me, I'm warning you, I’m a serious fighter. I know ji-ji-tsu."

- "H-how ...?" I finally said extremely confused ...

-"An experiment, black magic, what do I know? ... I don't care about the past, I just know how it all works."

-"Did you mention I’m keeping you for a month only? Why..?"

-"Yes, my dear, so don't get attached, partings are hard and I'd like you to put up with them like a men."

-"Then what's the point if you’re leaving?"

- "You know what they say, enjoy the ride while it lasts!"

All this is very strange. And yes, I am still quite shocked but I don’t see the point in staying confused all the time. So, whatever happens, I'll dive into it, I don't care about much in my life anyway ...

-"Elora," I said.

- "Hm, I’ll take it."

We both laughed and whatever strange thing was going on, I would let it last a little longer ...

...

The days went by, and I spent them in my room, talking to Elora. We had a variety of topics - from my horrible moments at school to her brave escape from a family with five cats. She is pretty sociable for one bird. I have to admit, I'm not a good owner ... She always warns me to feed her, pour her water and other ... If she didn't talk, she would probably be dehydrated and die of hunger by now. I taught her to paint her nails and she taught me to make paper angels. She had a lot of knowledge in her tiny brain, considering that she learned something in every family she has been in. I shared with her some things that I buried deep inside, I told you, I totally dived in ...

No one in the family suspected anything, except for my sister once, who broke into my room trying to steal Elora and get her into the dark chambers or as others would call it- her room. However, Elora was always ready and would fly to the highest part of the closet, so Tina can't do anything to her.


The days went by and I was more and more afraid that I would become extremely attached to the bird. It had a very strange effect on me, my days actually have gotten a color. I actually started to speak with my sister in a normal tone, to help my mother with the dishes and to actually listen to my father's stories that he experienced on the way home. That man ... He's going to make you a whole novel about a leaf stuck to the sole of his shoe. Somehow, the relationship with Elora awakened in me a desire to allow others to be a part of my life. I tore down the wall that was suffocating me thanks to her.

...

So the day came...The month has gone by with lightning speed, and as she had warned me- it was time for her to move on.

I opened the window wide and looked at Elora. She is ready to fly into a new adventure. She's ready, but I ... I'm not ready to let her go. I fell in love with that little gentle creature. She opened my eyes to many things.

"Ready?" I asked.

"My dear, I feel that your soul is sad ... Don't worry, you won't see me again, but I'll stay right here." She pointed to her head with her wing, "In your mind. As one really beautiful memory. This is not the end , River, what's the matter with you, it's actually the beginning! "

-"Thank you.."

- "No, thank you... Hold on River, and lower that guard you have there. The world is wonderful, and it is ready for you. Let it take you. "

After those words- she flew away.

I looked in her direction for as long as possible, until she was out of my sight. Truly a magical month. Yes, I'm sad, but I'm not alone. I have people around me who want to pay attention to me, to make my life better. And yes, I am grateful for them all, and even for the little beast Tina. Maybe I'll let her mess with my things, maybe we'll become friends.


Enjoy the ride while it lasts.


Undoubtedly I will. 


December 23, 2020 21:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

I love this story so much! Such a nice Holiday and adventure story mixed together! Awesome job!!

Reply

Blackoholic .
19:36 Dec 29, 2020

Thank you so much!

Reply

Your welcome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.