4 comments

General

My fist are bloody and bruised. My mind feels used and abused. Just a minute ago I stared in the mirror and screamed “ Who are you?”. Only silence came of course. So it became another victim to my fist. This is the fourth mirror I broke this month. Why do I keep buying them when the leader takes me out and who is that staring back at me, who am I ? I am waiting for the answer to that question but it never comes.

 Searching for answers in a mind were nothings stirs is like searching for summer berries in a cold harsh winter. It is a fruitless effort and all while I’m trapped in a destructive cycle. I buy mirrors scream at them and eventually end up punching them until them shatter. I feel as mad as the mad hatter or maybe even madder.

 My phone rings and when look at it I want to scream . It’s the leader of this damn place. The one who it the reason why ask the question I ask in the mirror. The one who cause me to question who I am. There is no way out and it kills me inside every single day. 

 I am held captive on this madness. I miss the me that lived of life it liked. If only I hadn’t pick up that needle. If only I hadn’t ran with it and slipped. If only that monster didn’t exist. I would not be here. The rainy day's curse has been made me its victims and I have ma plants de it my insanity.

 “R, its time for training.” A soft voice calls. Its Christine, the hall manager. “Ok ill be right there.,” I call back. In this facility we train with our special powers only to be exploded for money. Mine are the manipulation of water, fire, air and. I walk into the hall to see her standing there so innocently, like a fragile little doll. Her frame is petite and she is very short. She has long red curly hair and brown eyes that are to big for her face. She is wearing and red dress with black roses on it and her hair is pulled up into pig tails. She has a small nose and semi-thin light pink lips. Her face shape looks like a cross between an oval and a circle. In my opinion she looks kind of strange.

  “ I have to walk you to the training hall, because you seen as a threat.” She says quietly. “I don’t see you as a threat but they do.” I just nod silently. She the only one that should be scared. The others have powers to fight back but she doesn’t. At least as far as I know she doesn’t. 

When we reach the training arena the leader of this place is waiting there. “Well hello needle boy.” The leader says with a crooked smiled. He is a little over average height and has a muscular build. His features are fixed in a sharp and sinister expression.

 “ What do you want ?” I snap. A second passed a I feel a sharp pain throughout my entire body. I turn around to see his twin sister, Kira wearing a sinister smile. She has the ability to make others feel pain. She is used by the leader to make money off of masochist. Her appearance is far more beautiful than her personality. She has long straight black hair, round crystal blue eyes and light brown skin. Her body resembles an hourglass. Her lips are full and thick. All her features fit proportional to each other on her soft diamond shaped face.

 The leader doesn’t have any known powers but he is the most dangerous one here because of her loyalty to him. Not only can she cause pain but she can disable powers, paralyze and kill. I have seen her do all three. That fact brings me back to my question of who am I. If I am nobody then why do I not let her kill me. 

 “ I want to see how powerful you really are.” The leader hisses. “Also don’t snap at me or else. Your partner Simon, is now dead. So you have to prove you are enough by yourself until we introduce you to your new partner.” As he says this his dark snake like eyes pierce into me and like most of the time he looks like a viper about to strike.

 My eyes widen. Simon and I had something special between us. “What happened to him.” I asked while trying to stay in control of myself. “Well its none of your business. He was just your partner so why do your care.” The leader whispers in a vicious almost inhuman tone“ Now lets see if you can control fire and water at the same time.”

 The leader proceeds to light a candle and places it next to a bowl of water. I walk over to both of them and focus my mind on the fire and then the water. The fire begins to dance around. It moves in an elegant and soft way. It twists and turn in the air. Then the water begins to form waves that crash together wildly. The waves soon began to rise and are no longer waves but instead drops of water bouncing in the air.

 Using my powers is not as stressful as it used to be. Now that the monster is gone, I do not have to worry about it hurting people. “Ok now stop.” The leader “ Your trying is over for today, since you have proved your worth.”

 As I walk back to my room with Christine, I think to myself about why I did not use the fire to burn the leader? Why did I still to what he asked after I found Simon is dead? I thought who I am could maybe have something to do with Simon. Now that he is dead I question even more now who am I? 

  We reach my room and I go in and close the door without saying anything to Christine. I just want to be alone. I plop done on my bed and I eventually fall asleep.

 I asked my mom if I could go on a walk and she smiled said “of course just don’t get caught in the rain, sweetheart.” So I left and it started raining just like she warned me. When I turned back around I spotted something shiny in a nearby field. When I walked over to it , I discovered the it was a needle that was filled with a clear liquid that had spots of red, blue, and green. For some stupid reason I pick it up. The I saw a monster. It was The color of a storm cloud and it had bright pale blue eyes.

 I started running and slipped. When I slipped the needle stabbed me. I felt a strange feeling run through out my body. I got and continued running until I got home. That night I hugged both my parents good night. The day while I was at school it was raining again and an hour after the rain started I got called to the office. When I arrived My older sister was standing there with tears in her eyes. She informed me that out parents had died in a car accident. 

 Why did I have this dream? Am I the boy in the dream. I can’t be because he was so happy and innocent at first. No its not me. Those events are my story but that boy is not me. He can’t be me. He can not be me. He seemed so full of life and I am empty. Who am I?

 I heard a knock on my door and a voice “ R the leader wants to speak with you.” I recognized the voice as Christine. When I looked at the clock it read 1:15 am. What does the leader want now.

 I opened the door to find a very tired looking Christine. We walked to the leader's office in silence.  

 “You are rather impressive. I think I know who to pair you with.” the leader said as soon as he saw me. “Who” I asked. “Christine, my sister Kira. “Why Kira works with pain and Christine does not have a power? I ask “Christine does have a power she is a mind reader. You are paired with them because you will be working a special job. Christine can read minds and can know what people want. Kira is can cause extreme pain, paralyze and disabled people, and she can kill. You can control water, air, plants, and fire but we only need you water and fire abilities. You three can work the jobs used to torture people.” The leader said.

 What I said and did next surprised me. I yelled “No!” and took off running. I had already been letting myself get exploded for money but torturing people was to far. When I got to my and was about to shut myself inside , someone pushed the door back open. “Are you insane!” Christine yelled. “ You’re planning to escape aren’t you.” “Yes" I said “ I am not going to torture people whether its consensual or not.” “ So you are going to die, because the only way out is death.” She said harshly.

 I pulled inside and locked the door. “Well then at least I die trying to keep some of my morality.” I said. “Fine” she replied “ But how are we going to get out of here.”  “The window” I said as I opened the window. “Wait what about the trackers we need to cut them out” She called out. I pick up a glass shard, cut mine out of my leg and handed another glass shard to her. My blood has a glossy tint to it probably because of the needle incident. She cut hers out and seeing her wince sent shivers down my spine. 

 Then I used my powers to move a nearby tree's branch towards us. Together we climbed out the window and I gently lead her and I onto the branches. At that movement I find the answer to my question. I am the boy in the dream. 

 I didn’t escape before out of fear of dying as a lost version of my self but now I found part of me that was actually never really lost. I am Rein. I am a kind hearted person who struggles with confidence but won’t ever hurt anyone. I know this now because I would have never stood up to the leader if it wasn’t for my new assignment. I am me and I’m going back home with Christine. Someday I will be back here though to save the rest of people here, but for now I’m leaving and I now no longer need to question the mirrors. 












July 08, 2020 18:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

San T.
06:46 Jul 16, 2020

Finding oneself is the goal we all want to achieve.. and the path to it is ever confusing.. you have depicted the confusion well.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jeff Freeman
02:11 Jul 16, 2020

I really like the beginning and how confusing it was. It made me want to read more to find out what was going on and why he was so angry. There were some typos that threw me off and forced me to re-read a couple of lines to ensure I understood what you were saying.

Reply

18:09 Jul 16, 2020

sorry about that but thanks for reading

Reply

Show 0 replies
18:09 Jul 16, 2020

sorry about that but thanks for reading

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.